Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Why do my facebook and goodreads keep linking up?

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The Joy of Booking (thejoyofbooking) | 3 comments I don't want them linked. I've actually blocked the Goodreads app on Facebook, and I keep "disconnecting" Facebook here on Goodreads, but the next time I log in, I will find them somehow connected again, and people from Facebook keep asking to follow my Goodreads. This is really frustrating.

How can I get them disconnected and KEEP them disconnected?

message 2: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I have two completely different email addresses (and names) on FB and GR and I never have this problem. Could that be a solution?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

After this happened to me, I switched the email address associated with my GR account. I haven't had a problem since, but I don't know if that's what did it. There's another thread where the speculation is that using Fb and GR on the same mobile may link them.

message 4: by Hayes (last edited Jul 26, 2012 07:59AM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I never use facebook from my mobile... I don't want them to know where I am!

;o)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hayes wrote: "I never use facebook from my mobile... I don't want them to know where I am!

;o)"

Same for me.

The Joy of Booking (thejoyofbooking) | 3 comments I already use two totally different emails for FB and GR. No connection whatsoever! And my real name isn't even connected with my GR account, so it's not like they're finding me that way.

I just disconnected FB from GR for the FOURTH TIME TODAY.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Rekshan (drekshan) | 157 comments Hi Joy Of Booking,

How did you disconnect your accounts? It sounds like we might have a bug.

There are two factors at play here. 1) Whether or not Facebook says you installed our app. 2) If we make a note in our database saying you installed the app. We need both things to make a true connection. I went ahead and deleted the note in the database about your connection. If you find yourself connected again, then I have a bug in my code and it'd be helpful to know when or where you found yourself connected.

However, if you just don't want to deal with it anymore, you can uninstall our app in facebook, go to your account settings, then apps tab, then remove our app.

Daniel

The Joy of Booking (thejoyofbooking) | 3 comments Hi Daniel,

The app has been uninstalled in Facebook for some months, and is in fact now blocked. I keep realizing it's connected when people from Facebook add me as a friend here - it's so incredibly unlikely they would find me any other way, because my name and Facebook email address are not associated with my Goodreads account. The Goodreads app does not show up in my list of active Facebook apps; it shows up in the list of blocked apps.

I disconnect by going to edit profile, clicking apps, and clicking "disconnect". I can do that a dozen times in succession, logging out and logging back in, and each time, I will be able to disconnect, indicating that somehow, it got connected again.

I haven't had the disconnect option since I blocked the app in Facebook last week, but I've also been strictly using Goodreads and Facebook in different browsers to avoid them mysteriously connecting again. Any light you can shed would be very helpful.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (AlexMills) I have the opposite problem: last night I accidentally revoked the permission of Goodreads on my timeline, and now there's no way to get it back that I can find. So I can't share anything, despite all the choices on the app being set to share practically every time I make a click, add a book, or whatever. Anyone have any suggestions?

message 10: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Rekshan (drekshan) | 157 comments Joy, I'm pretty much at a loss to explain what's going on based on the scenario you've described... it should be impossible. My hunch is that somehow you've accidentally created another goodreads account from your facebook account. How do you learn about your new friends, is it just through an email or does it involve an email and a notification on goodreads? If you got an email, but they're not actually your friend with this account, then my hunch would be right and we can go from there.

Alex, go to www.goodreads.com/user/edit?tab=apps , there will be a button you can click to reconnect your accounts.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex (AlexMills) Daniel,

Thanks for pointing me to that. I had gotten pretty frustrated going through all the options on Facebook, making sure everything was connected, yet still not having the updates work. I had not thought to look under my profile for apps, in fact I didn't know there was such a place where I could reconnect the accounts. Thanks!

- Alex

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Rekshan (drekshan) | 157 comments I know it's pretty hidden, but I'm not sure where else to put that information. I'm curious, where did you look?

the sound of Autumn Hello there Daniel!
Alright, so my account had been accidentally connected to somebody's Facebook account (this person also has a Goodreads account, but I am not associated with it in an way.) This person uses the same computer as I do though, so I guess I sort of get how it may have happened. Still, awhile ago I asked for it to be disconnected, and it was. So for a pretty long time now, it's remained that way.

But recently, I logged into my Goodreads account, and it automatically logged me in through this same person's Facebook account. I thought I'd try to fix it by linking it to my Facebook and then disconnecting it, but since I've done so, I can't figure out where to disconnect it myself. I've done it before, but for some reason I can't do it again.

I was wondering if you could isolate my Goodreads from any other Facebook accounts, including my own. I was also wondering, was my account somehow merged with this other person's Goodreads? Is that how this keeps happening? If so, is there any way to separate it? Her Goodreads on here is Laura Wilson, her profile picture would have the beach in it.

message 14: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (shanaqui) | 1272 comments It's bizarre, because my facebook was once connected to my goodreads, I don't take care to sign out of facebook before I sign in to GR, and yet I don't think I've been having this problem. Though now I'm off to check.

message 15: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Rekshan (drekshan) | 157 comments Hey guys,

This info is really helpful. We've become more and more aware that this is a problem right now. We'll be reworking some of the code that handles the facebook connections, so we'll make sure these cases are handled.

Thanks!

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (shanaqui) | 1272 comments I can confirm that I don't have this problem, Daniel, and I'm happy to answer any questions about how I use the two sites to figure out why not.

message 17: by Ciska (new)

Ciska (Ciska_vander_Lans) | 32 comments As soon as GR seems to recognize a facebook account running it connects. On my work computer I have GR on all the time logged in with my normal details. As soon as I login to facebook GR logs out and starts to reconnect trough the facebook login making that one more important than the GR account itself. I think it should be the other way around.

the sound of Autumn Daniel wrote: "Hey guys,

This info is really helpful. We've become more and more aware that this is a problem right now. We'll be reworking some of the code that handles the facebook connections, so we'll make..."

Like Jaq said, that's good to hear! Is there any way for an individual to separate their Facebook from their Goodreads themselves? Because it keeps accidentally happening to me a lot, and I feel like such a nuisance constantly coming back to ask to have them separated.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments I've recently become victim to this problem: I signed up for GR with my Facebook account, and about a week ago I was no longer able to sign in to GR through FB. After days of frustration, I have found my GR account is now linked to my wife's FB account(we both use the same computer), and am able to sign in to MY GR account through her FB.

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma Elliot | 2 comments Hey, guys.

I'm not certain if this is the place to ask, but it's the best spot I've found where I may get an answer.

I have a friend who had a GR account through FB. The FB account has since been permanently deleted, and when he has attempted to log onto the GR account using just his email address and password, he hasn't been allowed to do so. He's looking to delete his account here on GR but hasn't been able to. Is there a way for him to do this?

Thank you.

message 21: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Emily | 1661 comments Mod
We'd be happy to delete his account if he emails us at support at goodreads dot com. It would help if he included the URL of his Facebook Timeline in the email, too, as that will help us look up the account in our database.

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma Elliot | 2 comments Thank you, Emily! I appreciate your help and how promptly it was given. I will pass the information along!

message 23: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 1 comments I'm also having problems with this. I got rid of the GR app from FB ages ago, and my accounts still seem to be linked. I can tell because I just got a GR notification saying that someone from FB is now my friend on GR, and this is someone who only became my FB friend within the past six months. So this isn't left over from whenever the accounts were connected in the past, but is still happening.

It's especially disturbing because there's no GR app currently listed among my FB apps, so I don't know what further steps I can take to disconnect the two accounts.

I'm wondering whether GR might actually own one of the other random book apps (BookTracker, WeRead, Visual Bookshelf), and is taking my data from there? Otherwise, I'm really at a loss for what's happening and how I can prevent it; it's about at the point where I'll have to delete my GR account entirely.

message 24: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Emily | 1661 comments Mod
Even if you remove the app on the Facebook, the connection between your accounts can still exist. It looks like your Facebook was connected in 2010. You should be able to see your Facebook preferences on Goodreads here:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/edit?ta...

I'm not quite sure how it works, but I think there's an option to also revoke the app's access to your data when you remove an app from Facebook. If you don't revoke access at this step, then the app assumes that you still want to be able to log in with Facebook and continues to use your data to sign you in. Once you've removed the connection between your accounts on the apps tab (see link), Goodreads will no longer be authorized to use your Facebook data.

If you'd like to make extra sure, you can also block the Goodreads app on Facebook. Navigate to your Facebook account settings:

https://www.facebook.com/settings

On the left-hand sidebar, click "Blocking." At the bottom of the page, you can view your blocked apps and add others to the list.

message 25: by Tori (new)

Tori Macmillan | 1 comments Go into your Facebook, and go to your settings (in the dropdown menu under the arrow in the very top right). In settings, to go "Apps" in the menu to the left. Once you're in the apps section, click "Show all" and find Goodreads. You should be able to turn off that the Goodreads app can post for you.

unread topics | mark unread