Dracula Dracula discussion

New Dracula TV show coming to USA

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elia (new) - added it

Elia NBC has announced they will be airing a new Dracula show, based on the original character, but with Dracula posing as an American living in Victorian London.
He will be played by Jonathan Reese Myers from The Tudors. What do you all think? Will you watch? Do you think he will be a good vampire? (I do, as long as he can stay sober, he's had many substance abuse issues).

Cynthia Collins I will watch this. I think, if the TV show stays true to the original story, it has wonderful potential. However, if the Gothic romance / horror story gets changed to an attempted spoofing of itself, then, not such a good idea.

message 3: by Elia (new) - added it

Elia Here's a little more about it: http://lat.ms/M8RjQr

Sounds like it will be a drama with some romance... doesn't really sound at all like it will be based on the original... more like an attempt at a continuation of the original.

Jeanette I'll give it a try. Of course anything with vamps and I'll tune in, but it all depends on the cast and crew and how they with the producers and directors will pull it off. Could be fantastic or cheesy...we will see.

Shawn Fairweather I will wait to see if this turns into yet another Twilight type fluf piece. They are already tampering with it a bit from what I have seen. If they approached this as a high quality mini-series such as Band of Brothers...I would be much more interested, but my cynical side is screaming that they are simply piling on to this neverending mall rat trend.

Alex Long I actually don't think they should stick to the storyline so much as the themes and tone. The story wouldn't fit into a tv format, especially the one you just described, but a lot of the storylines in the book would translate really well. Maybe they'd add some elements from different gothic writers, it could be amazing if they do it right, I'm just sick of vampires on TV. There are other things they could do.

message 7: by Billy (new) - added it

Billy Candelaria well i give it a try.

Alice The casting of Drac is right on. I'll watch til they bleep it up.

Stephanie What is this show called?

message 10: by Elia (new) - added it

Elia Stephanie wrote: "What is this show called?"

Dracula. But that's for now... who knows if that's what it will be called once it airs. Sometimes they change the titles, and it's not scheduled til next fall.

message 11: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora I'm having trouble finding it- what night?

message 12: by Elia (new) - added it

Elia Lora wrote: "I'm having trouble finding it- what night?"

It's not scheduled to air until Fall 2013 Lora. Plus it's BARELY in pre-production and no one aside from JRM has been cast yet, so you won't find much on it. Even IMDB has practically nothing on it, and it doesn't have a slot on the schedule yet.

message 13: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Oh! You'd think I would read the post directly above mine more carefully. I blame... bifocals. Yeah.

Natalie Elia wrote: "NBC has announced they will be airing a new Dracula show, based on the original character, but with Dracula posing as an American living in Victorian London.
He will be played by Jonathan Reese My..."

What oh no Dracula going to be and American it might work, I Liked Jonathan Reese Myers in the Tudors i think he could make a good vampire.

Fatin Natalie wrote: "I Liked Jonathan Reese Myers in the Tudors i think he could make a good vampire."

So did I! I'm willing to give this a shot as long as they don't turn it into fluff. Dracula needs to be dark and grim and gothic. I don't mind them changing the storyline around, as Alex! said, but I hope they stick to the themes!

Natalie Fatin wrote: "Natalie wrote: "I Liked Jonathan Reese Myers in the Tudors i think he could make a good vampire."

So did I! I'm willing to give this a shot as long as they don't turn it into fluff. Dracula needs ..."

Yeah if the writers get it right it could be brilliant. Yeah it you said Dracula needs to be dark, mystrious, handsome and dressed in black.

I just hope they don't ruin it i don't mind them changing the location as long as they get the characters right and keep their names.

Natalie gertt wrote: "I agree, Dracula was mysterious, and attractively frightening... desirable but with that tinge of fear. They they need to keep to the story line and not ruin it like they did with the Dark Shadows..."

Yeah of that version of Dracula where Van Helsing is sitting in the cellar and Mina has a fight with a white sheet. Was shit!!

Fatin Here's the imdb page (not that includes a lot) :
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2296682/

Natalie Fatin wrote: "Here's the imdb page (not that includes a lot) :
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2296682/"

Awwwww next year i can't wait till next year

Laura Oh, they should let JRM keep his Irish accent. American-izing Dracula could be a drag...otherwise I am still interested. We'll see what 2013 brings us. Could be a good year for film :)

message 21: by Dean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dean Turnbloom The vampire in my book was, of course, based on the character of Dracula. I gave him a different backstory because I wished to differentiate and the characteristics of my vampire are somewhat different, but there are obvious parallels. I will definitely tune in to this new show. I've enjoyed this genre since I was a teen.

Natalie Dean wrote: "The vampire in my book was, of course, based on the character of Dracula. I gave him a different backstory because I wished to differentiate and the characteristics of my vampire are somewhat diffe..."
You've wrote a book, whats it called?

message 23: by D. (last edited Oct 13, 2012 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

D. I'm worried it's just another bandwagon show trying to squeeze just a bit more money out of the vampire craze. That's fine, if it's a quality show, but looking at the writers, their choice for Dracula, and the fact that they're borrowing from the film Bram Stoker's Dracula in making the love interest the possible reincarnation of his lost love...it looks like it's just going to be another thing that will make us pre-craze vampire fans cringe. It'll probably have some wicked visuals, though.

message 24: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Has anyone tuned in? I really like it so far.

Feliks Calling all mental cases! More fodder for your obsessive mania is waiting for you on Channel 11!

Emily I love the show. which means it will get cancelled, but I really hope not. JRM is fantastic.

message 27: by Michael (last edited Nov 10, 2013 05:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Brown On the evidence of the first episode, they're gonna throw every Victorian-era myth and cliche in under the alluring guise of revisionism. Ooh, Jack the Ripper got a name-call, fancy! So far all I've seen is passably time-killing fodder and a lot of grazing at the story-buffet. It's not that different to what the BBC are doing with Atlantis, syncretically scraping every trope and name to create something familiar but warped. Let's hope no young impressionable Classics scholars are watching Atlantis or they're screwed.

And Dracula... I'll stick with it for now as I don't give up easily, but I'm expecting to find myself fondly remembering other Draculas of the past. For the record though, I wouldn't mind if I turn out to be wrong.

Leslie I'm liking the show so far,

message 29: by Tytti (new) - added it

Tytti I tried watching the first episode. Too many 21th century Americans for me to believe it happens in Victorian London...

Michael well, it has a vampire, and a vampire hunter, and alot of the names are familar, but it's not Draucla.
It is not a bad show for what it is, a little more intriguing than the Vampire Diaries, and at least the monster doesn't sparkle!

Adrienne oh terrible just terrible...tried the first episode and couldn't wait to be put out of my misery.

Christine Emily wrote: "I love the show. which means it will get cancelled, but I really hope not. JRM is fantastic."

Oh Emily don't say it!! I like the show too & my faves always get cancelled. I hope they have the good sense to leave this one on. JRM is awesome!

Old-Barbarossa Why didn't they just get Kim Newman involved? Or call it something else...since about all they haven't changed from the book is the name Dracula.
Missed opportunity.

Ladynight I saw the first two episodes and I hated it... maybe because I was comparing it to the book, but I think it is more than that, I think it has to do with the plot not being interesting. So for me, it was not what I was expecting (and it is a shame because I love the main character).

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Dracula (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kim Newman (other topics)