Creative Reviews discussion

Birthright, Ilona the Hun novels, book one
My novel could use some reviews

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

If you like to read magical-realism novels and write reviews for a free book, I'll be happy to send you the first book in Ilona the Hun series.

message 2: by Valkiery (new)

Valkiery | 1 comments MOBI or Hard Copy please :)

draica3000@yahoo.com

message 3: by Yianna (new)

Yianna Yiannacou | 95 comments Amber wrote: "MOBI or Hard Copy please :)

draica3000@yahoo.com"

Ditto.
eurobabie@hotmail.com

message 4: by Rekha (new)

Rekha Seshadri (reksesh) | 4 comments I would love to but can't give a review before September.
Any of the the three formats mobi, epub or pdf is fine.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Erika wrote: "If you like to read magical-realism novels and write reviews for a free book, I'll be happy to send you the first book in Ilona the Hun series."

Hi Amber and Yianna, sending the MOBI files
Rekha, September review is fine, could you message me with email address?
Really appreciate all your interest and willingness to write reviews, Erika

message 6: by Rekha (new)

Rekha Seshadri (reksesh) | 4 comments Hi, My ID reksesh@gmail.com

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 633 comments Just be careful, some people on these Goodsreads groups can be highly critical and blunt in their reviews. If you dont mind people being like this then all the best to you but just thought id give you a heads up

message 8: by Rekha (last edited Aug 01, 2012 06:52AM) (new)

Rekha Seshadri (reksesh) | 4 comments Justin wrote: "Just be careful, some people on these Goodsreads groups can be highly critical and blunt in their reviews. If you dont mind people being like this then all the best to you but just thought id give ..."

I am sure there are a lot of people who vent their life's frustration on the book at hand...but as a personal choice, I don't post a review (only rate) of a book which I feel is 2 stars and below on my blog or Goodreads (I don't quite like the simplistic rating)...I might write a few sentences on the good and bad (if, as a reader, I feel a few changes could have made it a 3 or 4 star). I try to maintain a balance of the story summary without spoilers, the positive and negative aspects of the storytelling and characters, and add my recommendation to a group/s I think may like it best.

All said, when you put a book out, like I hope to someday, you have to as prepared for one and two stars as for the 5 stars. There will always be someone or more who hate even best loved classics. :)

Personally, as a reader, I prefer to focus on 3 and 4 stars with either a detailed review or a short one with apt pointers, as they give an accurate picture of the book, and whether I'd like it or not.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Justin wrote: "Just be careful, some people on these Goodsreads groups can be highly critical and blunt in their reviews. If you dont mind people being like this then all the best to you but just thought id give ..."

Thanks Justin, as an author I know it is impossible to please everyone. Some reader will love my book and some might hate it. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion even when in a bad mood and just want to lash out at someone. It is not easy to deal with bad reviews, but I think if an author can't learn to handle it and deal with it, then either don't read the reviews or unpublish the book

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Rekha wrote: "Justin wrote: "Just be careful, some people on these Goodsreads groups can be highly critical and blunt in their reviews. If you dont mind people being like this then all the best to you but just t..."

You're right Rekha, I was just reading some of the reviews on Twighlight the other day and hope Stephenie doesn't read all 3 thousand or so reviews including the bitter, jealous and hateful rantings some people wrote about her books and gave it 1 star. Regardless of the bad reviews, the majority loved her book and she's known worldwide. What I really value is not the teenage vampire story itself but her writing style which made lots of kids - who otherwise won't open a book - to read. My book is never going to be that successful of course, although it was chosen to be semifinalist in the Best Indie Books of 2012 and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the finals, but it might bring a little enjoyement to some readers - who like the genre - a few hours when they can forget their problems and get immersed in the story.

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 633 comments well someone personally attacked me on a review and accused me of forcing my rhymes and it got ugly but yeah as i hope u get positive reviews!

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt Posner (MattPosner) | 68 comments Huns interest me. Feel free to email me at schooloftheages@gmail.com and we'll discuss what arrangements we can make. -- Matt Posner

message 13: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 11, 2012 05:39AM) (new)

Kimberly Sibert | 1 comments I would love to read it and start getting my feet wet with reviews.
I would prefer epub but can switch formats with calibre if need be.
Kimsibert@gmail.com

message 14: by Damon (new)

Damon Marbut (DamonFerrellMarbut) | 4 comments To Self-Published Authors

I have met people who are energized by their own genuine enthusiasms here on Goodreads, as well as in other online communities. I have a deep sense of gratitude and thankfulness for the correspondence that has been established between us, and still continues. But in terms of Goodreads, a community now having reached ten million members if I have read correctly, there is an even larger confusion of purpose.

Being an indie author is not cute. Nor is it clever or respectable. It is not enough to think an idea followed through to a bound book makes one a serious writer. In reality, to be an indie author is to be prepared to wallow in not only the malaise and self-doubt that comes with authorship, but the general belief in your uselessness and irrelevance from the publishing world, which includes readers. Ever hear the phrase “If you can’t do, coach?” It’s unfair but no different. Ever hear “No one wanted to publish your work, so you published it yourself?”

I am an indie author, but I wish to rescind the label. And I know, above all and before anything else, I am looked down on because I put money and effort into producing my debut novel. Perhaps I’ve earned a modicum of respect for the financial and temporal sacrifice, which is in its own right a generosity of spirit from people as frustrated as myself, people who could easily have not offered that. And I knew this ahead of time. I knew it would be a gamble, of perception, reception and reward. But I did it because of my understanding of two things:

1. I believe in the relevance and importance of my novel.
2. With the evolution of the publishing industry, I recognized the level of difficulty in convincing an agent or editor to consider a debut novelist who can not guarantee a return on initial investment, as well as a marketing plan that is to be handled mostly by the author. Most good books...hell...most amazing books, spend their time in slush piles before seeing the light of day. I understand established writers and their contention when it comes to self-published authors perverting the system. (And it should not be a system. But because it’s become a system, a tacky machine of superfluous words, the indie authors’ negative reactions to being shoved off in to the margins as not being “true writers” are NOT valid. So prove yourself!)

But just don’t try to prove yourself by engaging in some factory of Likes, Tags and Reviews being exchanged for those who don’t even read your writing. Recently, I commented on a thread here in Goodreads about kindness, humility and gratitude. Someone responded, adding to the end of his/her comment that he/she wasn’t promoting his/her own work before doing it a few hours later in the same thread. And what has pushed me toward this conversation is that today, when corresponding with a show host for books and authors in Canada, the host told me he’d be interested in my book, but mostly he feels self-publishing is a hustle. A hustle. And he isn’t wrong, especially when I see something like what I saw last night on Goodreads: a “writer” was actually asking for help with plot lines for the book. And people were lining up to share their two cents.

Pathetic.

And so, we are not writers here. We are salespersons. And I see fully, now, what is wrong with self-publishing. I am proud of my book, inside and out, and pleased with the company I’ve paid to produce it with me. Not for me. But I am also completely satisfied with one person a month falling in love with my story, indefinitely, rather than one hundred thousand readers “liking” it temporarily just so I will follow their blog.

Wrong.

message 15: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Mokha (mokha) | 10 comments Hi all

Calling all fantasy book lovers. My book, The Last Sanctuary, has some Goodreads reviews with a score of 4.93 to date (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...).

I can email a copy to anyone interested. Let me know??

Cheers
PS Mokha

message 16: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Weil (JLWeil) | 8 comments YA Paranormal Romance lovers I am looking for reviews here on Goodreads and/or on Amazon for my book LUMINESCENCE. I would love to give you a copy for free in exchange. Please leave a message here or email me at jenniferlweil@gmail.com.

Thanks so much ;)
Check out my blog too.
http://jlweil.blogspot.com/

message 17: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Mokha (mokha) | 10 comments Hi Jennifer
Unfortunately I don't have a romantic bone in my body (ask my wife) so I'm not sure I'm the best reviewer. Great blog by the way. Very clear and easy to follow.
Good Luck
PS Mokha

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 06, 2012 01:24PM) (new)

Hello everyone, not to be to forward, but I just published my first E-Book thought kindle direct publishing, I dont have any reviews yet, I think what everyone here is doing is great not only for unknown books and unknown authors, but for the entire reading community. So if any of you have the time I would love for you to look at my first book, it's not perfect by any means and I know I still have plenty to lean, specifically grammar,spelling, and punctuation. But i'm proud of it. Think you all for your time.

Till Kingdom Come By Christopher Lowe
ASIN: B0095ZR78Y
http://t.co/Un5FMWq9

message 19: by M.O. (new)

M.O. Kenyan (MO_Author) | 16 comments Hey guys,
If you love contemporary romance, please check out my book. If you would like to review it, please email me for a free book.

thank you.Shades of Spring 1964: Letters to my daughter

message 20: by M.O. (new)

M.O. Kenyan (MO_Author) | 16 comments Prabh S wrote: "Hi Jennifer
Unfortunately I don't have a romantic bone in my body (ask my wife) so I'm not sure I'm the best reviewer. Great blog by the way. Very clear and easy to follow.
Good Luck
PS Mokha"

I would like to review your book. Please check mine out when you get the chance. ondego.lm@gmail.com

message 21: by M.O. (new)

M.O. Kenyan (MO_Author) | 16 comments Prabh S wrote: "Hi all

Calling all fantasy book lovers. My book, The Last Sanctuary, has some Goodreads reviews with a score of 4.93 to date (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...).

I c..."

I would like to review your book. Please check mine out when you get the chance(it's free). ondego.lm@gmail.com
Shades of Spring 1964: Letters to my daughter

message 22: by M.O. (new)

M.O. Kenyan (MO_Author) | 16 comments Damon wrote: "To Self-Published Authors

I have met people who are energized by their own genuine enthusiasms here on Goodreads, as well as in other online communities. I have a deep sense of gratitude and thank..."

I would like to review your book. Please check mine out when you get the chance(it's free). ondego.lm@gmail.com

message 23: by M.O. (new)

M.O. Kenyan (MO_Author) | 16 comments Erika wrote: "If you like to read magical-realism novels and write reviews for a free book, I'll be happy to send you the first book in Ilona the Hun series."

message 24: by M.O. (new)

M.O. Kenyan (MO_Author) | 16 comments Justin wrote: "Just be careful, some people on these Goodsreads groups can be highly critical and blunt in their reviews. If you dont mind people being like this then all the best to you but just thought id give ..."

I have had a run in with one. I thought I would bury my head in the ground. But sometimes you need to get a few punches to win.

message 25: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Mokha (mokha) | 10 comments Hi Justin
As I said to Jennifer, romance is something other people do. It's a miracle I'm marrried!
Good luck getting your reviews
PS Mokha

message 26: by Charity (new)

Charity | 19 comments I would like to review your book. Carussel82@yahoo.com

Kindle version or PDF please

message 27: by Stephanie (last edited Oct 30, 2012 12:28AM) (new)

Stephanie (StefJo) | 7 comments I would love to read and review your book for you. Epub is my preferred format. Thanx!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shades of Spring 1964: Letters to my daughter (other topics)