Chicks On Lit discussion

Girl Talk > Hobbies... other than reading!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 85) (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacey_griz) | 214 comments I am curious as to what my fellow chicks like to do in their spare time other than read.

Lately, I have found a new obsession (which I am embarrassed to say has taken over most of my reading time). I have been learning to sew so that I can refashion clothes. Never in my 30 years have I been interested in sewing, until now of course. Anything that has to do with recycling/repurposing though, I'm all for.

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy (Kathy_H) Well I am a bit older than your 30 years. I love to sew and quilt also. I also knit and crochet and do bead weaving for crafts. For physical fun I love to ride my bikes. I also try to raise a few things in a garden each year.

Nice topic idea.

message 3: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacey_griz) | 214 comments thanks Kathy! :)
I enjoy gardening too. Though, I am still not quite ready to put the time into it that I need to in order for my garden look they way I would like. So for now, I will settle for just an okay looking garden with a small amount of good food.

message 4: by Viola (new)

Viola | 1014 comments I had a lot of hobbies when I was younger and childless. Piano, quilting, origami, scrapbooking. But now that I have a child (a toddler now), those hobbies all are put on hold. Reading has becoming my number one hobby with TV as a distant second.

... well, does Facebooking count as a hobby? Haha...

message 5: by Katy (new)

Katy (Kathy_H) Viola wrote: "I had a lot of hobbies when I was younger and childless. Piano, quilting, origami, scrapbooking. But now that I have a child (a toddler now), those hobbies all are put on hold. Reading has becoming..."

I understand having a toddler. I am retired now and am just learning to play the piano.

message 6: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 80 comments Stacey, I am just learning how to quilt and I can see what a big distraction it is from my school work. Other things I like to do besides read and quilt is scrapbooking,cross stitching and stupid computer games I play with my husband. LOL!

message 7: by Tee (new)

Tee (Zally) | 17 comments Love to bake, cross stich, would really love to learn quilting, lm just trying motivate myself to start making photo boards, l love photography and vow to put myself thru a course to learn more about taking the best photos.

message 8: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacey_griz) | 214 comments It sounds like we have a talented bunch. :D

Viola- I actually had to delete my facebook account because it had become too much of a hobby. I'm not sure why it's so addictive.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4541 comments If Facebooking is a hobby then I am guilty of that. I also learned how to cook. Nothing major, just simple meals. I used to play piano and sing. I used to take karate. I work out at Curves. I run a club at the school I work at. It's an anime club. It's Japanese cartoons and art and we play games and watch anime. I try to have them learn something educational too but they aren't motivated to do so. I have to sneak it in.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryBT) | 336 comments I have hobby ADD. lol. Embroidery, paper crafts, scrapbooking, if Mod Podge could be considered a hobby - then Mod Podge is my hobby. lol. At the moment, embroidery is my favorite. But I go through phases.

I've tried tons of other things, but those are the ones I have stuck with.

message 11: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (fenixreborn) | 19 comments Aside from reading, I love to play video games, write, do cross stitch (and crochet and do any arts craftsy stuff), create free graphics, and cook.

I've tried a lot of other things, but these seem to be the ones that stick the most.

message 12: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacey_griz) | 214 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "If Facebooking is a hobby then I am guilty of that. I also learned how to cook. Nothing major, just simple meals. I used to play piano and sing. I used to take karate. I work out at Curves. I run a..."

What an interesting club Jayme.
What is your favorite meal to prepare?

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacey_griz) | 214 comments Mary,
I love your description of your hobbies. Hobby ADD.... I might have that too. :D

Jenifer,
I definitely go through phases playing video games. I think I'm too quick to get annoyed so I end up turning a game off before I can save it. What are your favorite games?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4541 comments Stacey wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "If Facebooking is a hobby then I am guilty of that. I also learned how to cook. Nothing major, just simple meals. I used to play piano and sing. I used to take karat..."

I make chicken, meatloaf, chili, mashed potatoes and I really like making chicken casserole.

message 15: by Julliet (new)

Julliet | 4 comments Stacey wrote: "I am curious as to what my fellow chicks like to do in their spare time other than read.

Lately, I have found a new obsession (which I am embarrassed to say has taken over most of my reading tim..."

That sound really cool Stacey..I would love to see some of your creations..Do you have a blog with pictures?

message 16: by Julliet (new)

Julliet | 4 comments I have always wanted to take up painting. I like oil and acrylics. I love art and everytime I see great paintings I get inspired and want to do that myself.

message 17: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 6 comments Love to crochet,wii dance (my daughter got me hooked on this),cook, and do yoga. I use to be very active epee fencing,hiking,aerobics etc but now am dealing with severe lupus. Oh and I am learning how to quilt...I should have tried this sooner! Love it..

Stacey I am seriously thinking about deleting my facebook...willpower;)Refashioning clothes sounds like fun. Do you ever sew from patterns?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4541 comments I used to oil paint.

message 19: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacey_griz) | 214 comments Rayna wrote: "I have always wanted to take up painting. I like oil and acrylics. I love art and everytime I see great paintings I get inspired and want to do that myself."

Rayna, you really should!!! I am an art teacher, and a painter. However, I do tend to go through phases of not creating very much. I guess I am around it so much at work. But I would say that the best way to get better is to just start working on some stuff.
As for my repurposing, I haven't done much of that yet. Just some VERY basic things. I don't have a blog. I have thought about starting one, but I have too many interests so I'm not sure what it would even be about, or who would want to read it. :D

message 20: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacey_griz) | 214 comments Robbie wrote: "Love to crochet,wii dance (my daughter got me hooked on this),cook, and do yoga. I use to be very active epee fencing,hiking,aerobics etc but now am dealing with severe lupus. Oh and I am learning ..."

Robbie,
I literally just got interested in sewing maybe a month ago. I found an old pattern that my mom had in her basement that I may practice on. With school starting back up this week, I am guessing I won't be sewing a whole lot right now though.

I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with lupus. When were you diagnosed? Do you feel like yoga has been helpful? I am so impressed by all of the hobbies you do.

message 21: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 6 comments Stacey wrote: "Robbie wrote: "Love to crochet,wii dance (my daughter got me hooked on this),cook, and do yoga. I use to be very active epee fencing,hiking,aerobics etc but now am dealing with severe lupus. Oh and..."

Stacey,
I was diagnosed in Sept 2008. Yoga seems to help...it's easy on the joints:)
Hopefully you will find enough downtime to sew this school year. Goodluck!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4541 comments Does watching the Olmpics count as a hobby?

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1310 comments Rayna wrote: "I have always wanted to take up painting. I like oil and acrylics. I love art and everytime I see great paintings I get inspired and want to do that myself."

Me too Rayna but I am probably the least creative person in this world.
We have a place here (NC) called Wine and Design. You bring your drink of choice, and they provide the supplies and an art teacher guides you to make a specific picture. My friends have done it before and they say its kinda funny how everyone is painting the same thing and how totally different they turn out. If I ever do it, I ll let you guys know how it goes...

message 24: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Librizzi Knitting, knitting and more knitting..haha

message 25: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacey_griz) | 214 comments Darlene wrote: "Knitting, knitting and more knitting..haha"

Love it Darlene!!!
I'm working on a scarf now... well not right now. :D

message 26: by Julliet (new)

Julliet | 4 comments I want to paint but I don't know how to get started. It is like I have a block-like writers block. Is there such a thing as artists block?

message 27: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacey_griz) | 214 comments Julliet wrote: "I want to paint but I don't know how to get started. It is like I have a block-like writers block. Is there such a thing as artists block?"

Absolutely! I have it now.

message 28: by Nancy (NE) (new)

Nancy (NE) | 1229 comments Fun thread Stacey. I have enjoyed reading what everyone likes to do. I too am a quilter, costumer, do scrapbooking, cross stitch, needlepoint, hardanger - LOVE it all. I seem to go through phases of intense reading or obsessive crafting. It definitely competes for my reading time. When I'm stressed - the needlework wins out.

message 29: by Do (new)

Do (exoticapple16) When I'm finished reading one book, I start to play Sims3 and use the some of the books characters as my character in Sims3, it's kind of fun, 'cause I can dream of writing books and I kind of create another title in the game. Other than playing, I sometimes do cross-stitching. :D

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I am a keen cross stitcher, especially at Christmas time when all the festive charts and cards are out. I also take piano lessons, (helps me to relax and unwind), but my passion is reading.

message 31: by Nancy (NE) (last edited Sep 29, 2012 07:29AM) (new)

Nancy (NE) | 1229 comments Hurray for you Kathryn. I love to hear adults taking lessons. Music is my hobby and profession. We're such an instant gratification society that it seems people don't have the patience for mastering instruments anymore. Good good good for you!

message 32: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacey_griz) | 214 comments I'm loving reading about everyone's hobbies.
Kathryn, I took some piano in HS and then in college. I can hardly remember one thing. :( I loved it... just too many other interests I guess to keep up with it.

message 33: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kgansor) | 109 comments For me it would be video games and scrapbooking. I want to learn how to crochet eventually! Maybe this winter I will sit myself down and start to teach myself..

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Stacey wrote: "I'm loving reading about everyone's hobbies.
Kathryn, I took some piano in HS and then in college. I can hardly remember one thing. :( I loved it... just too many other interests I guess to ke..."

My first lessons started when I was in HS too. But, when I was 15ish we moved to the UK and my lessons stopped. Then, as normal, I was out with friends, clubbing etc, getting a job and just didn't have time. Now, life has settled down I've started again and it didn't take long for me to pick it back up again. Well worth doing if you can.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristin wrote: "For me it would be video games and scrapbooking. I want to learn how to crochet eventually! Maybe this winter I will sit myself down and start to teach myself.."

I've always wanted to look at scrapbooking Kristin. It isn't such a popular craft at the moment in the UK. Card making certainly is though.

message 36: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessilouwho22) | 6 comments Other than reading, I'm what you would call "outdoorsy." I like to fish, and I like to take hikes in the woods. Any time spent out in nature is good quality time for me!

I have to say though, hearing all of you ladies talk, I would love to learn how to do something crafty like knitting or quilting!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4541 comments I don't have the visual acuity to knit but I did make candy cane ornaments when I was in the hospital when I was a kid.

message 38: by Nancy (NE) (new)

Nancy (NE) | 1229 comments Jess my husband loves to fish and he has passed that on to both our kids.

message 39: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 28 comments I'm also a painter, a little oil but mostly watercolor. Since I listen to audio books while I draw (and walk, and clean house) I've managed to combine my favorite (and not so favorite) activities.

message 40: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessilouwho22) | 6 comments Fran wrote: "I'm also a painter, a little oil but mostly watercolor. Since I listen to audio books while I draw (and walk, and clean house) I've managed to combine my favorite (and not so favorite) activities."

Multi-tasking! I like the way you think! :)

message 41: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessilouwho22) | 6 comments Nancy (NE) wrote: "Jess my husband loves to fish and he has passed that on to both our kids."

I used to fish with my dad all the time when I was little, but I got away from it for a few years. I've always been outdoorsy though, and just this year, my dad and I started fishing together again, and I just love it.

message 42: by Nancy (NE) (new)

Nancy (NE) | 1229 comments My kids are both in their 20's but they and my husband still go to Canada fishing every summer for a week. Its their thing. They go to an island 45 min by boat into the middle of Lake of the Woods. Beautiful and rustic. I prefer museums, concerts and restaurants! So they the best of both worlds!

message 43: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessilouwho22) | 6 comments Nancy (NE) wrote: "My kids are both in their 20's but they and my husband still go to Canada fishing every summer for a week. Its their thing. They go to an island 45 min by boat into the middle of Lake of the Woods..."

Oh wow, that sounds like a trip that I would love to take!! I'd be up for museums and restaurants too, though, I'm a history nerd as well haha!

message 44: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kgansor) | 109 comments Kathryn wrote: "Kristin wrote: "For me it would be video games and scrapbooking. I want to learn how to crochet eventually! Maybe this winter I will sit myself down and start to teach myself.."

I've always wanted..."

I would definatly look into it! I am not as creative as a lot of the people I have seen when I do mine, but everyone always says that that is the point, there are people who go all out and do really awesome pages, but mine I feel are so plain compared to theirs!! I need to get back into it though! I always think about doing the cards, and its popular around here too but I just haven't yet. One day I will though!

message 45: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 Julliet wrote: "I have always wanted to take up painting. I like oil and acrylics. I love art and everytime I see great paintings I get inspired and want to do that myself."

Same here. I absolutelty love art. I used to sketch years ago, but I've stopped, almost completely. Over the summer, I drew a bit, but I would like to get back into it, especially painting, since it's so relaxing.

message 46: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 74 comments Obama headquarters locally are staffed mainly by a whole lot of women who are taking time off from reading till November....As a civic hobby, working for your favorite candidate can't be beat.

Shelley, Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 47: by Linda (new)

Linda | 42 comments Since I have retired from teaching, I have started quilting. I have two quilts going and hope to finish one soon.
I love to garden too, hoping for a cooler summer next year.

message 48: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 66 comments What a great thread!! Fun to read about all the wonderful things you all like to do. I'm a new crocheter and that's my new passion. I too like to paint and draw but for some reason I don't do enough of it. I also like to go camping and kayaking in the summer.

message 49: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Walsh (ElaineDWalsh) | 12 comments Ok, I might be the ONLY one in this group that only sews if a botton falls off, who thinks pop in the microwave is a food group, and who likes a four letter word...GOLF.

message 50: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Dunn I weave and I knit.

Also, love looking for antiques. I took a watercolor class recently but I was awful. I may try again, though. I'm also thinking of learning a new language.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread