Pet Sematary Pet Sematary discussion


422 views
Book vs. Movie: Pet Sematary

Comments (showing 1-50 of 70) (70 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic The book is one of my favorite Stephen King books, but the movie--in my opinion--is the worst one ever made. It has terrible acting, the storyline changes were made for the worse, and it is too short. People will say that the book goes into more detail, making it seem longer; but condensing a 400 page masterpiece into a steaming pile of crap that is barely 90 minutes long doesn't help matters either.


Gerd Did we watch the same movie? :)

I liked Pet Sematary, I thought the casting was spot on, and they kept the keyscenes intact. All in all I regard it to be one of the more faithful book adaptations.


Melanie Maybe if they bury the movie in the pet cemetary, it would come back as something better. It was definitely one of the worst movie versions of a Stphen King book I've ever seen.


Samantha Summers I agree - loved the book, hated the movie. But unfortunately I think that happens a lot with book to movie adaptations.


Monica Pet Sematary is one of my favorites. And I didn't think the movie was bad. You have to take into account the year it was made.
And THE worst movie adaptation of a S.K book was by far "It".
I pray every day that some brilliant director will come along and do justice for the S.K movies and remake them the right way. Peter Jackson and the LOTR series....bliss. I wish he'd remake "It"!!!


Nora aka Diva I loved the book and rather liked the movie. Although I admit, I like the book more because my imagination is far more graphic(yikes) then the technology they had at hand when the movie was made. If that makes sense.


Shannon Arthur Mostly, I don't like any Stephen King book that was made into a movie:

Firestarter, The Stand, Pet Sematary--I truly enjoyed all 3 books, but don't really care for the movies. I don't think they are bad movies...they just don't live up to my expectations.

The Shining and Salem's Lot--I liked the movies, but I didn't read the book before seeing them!


Terry Irwin The book was way better than the movie......


MommyDearest Book! The books are always better.


Steve MommyDearest wrote: "Book! The books are always better."

I agree Stephen King's stories are always better from the books than the movies.


Kathleen Harsch The movies always seem so hokey. I never feel terrified, but when I read Stephen King, he can terrify me and actually make me believe vampires are scratching at the windows (from Salem's Lot) and believe that dead pets can come back as horrific, evil zombie pets.


message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 06, 2012 06:48PM) (new)

I loved the book and liked the movie until the very end when they actually showed his wife killing him. In the book King just strongly implied that she did, but for some reason her actually killing him in the movie totally ruined it for me. But, other than that, I really liked the movie. I try not to over-compare books to movies because it will always be disappointed if you do. There's no way they could ever make a Stephen King book into a movie that had every single detail from the book.


Bendy In my opinion, Stephen King's books do not adapt well. Your imagination and the books work together to scare you. Nothing they put in a movie could compare to that. I thought Pet Semetary was a good book and a so-so movie. Misery was better.


Benjamin As far as Stephen King goes, his descriptive nature and "in your head" way of writing can never be depicted properly as a movie.


Janese Jackson I find that SK's non-horror books translate very well to the screen (Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile), but the movies just don't do justice for his scary books. I think part of it is that his in depth descriptions are part of what gets the spine tingling. Movies just aren't capable of some of the subtleties needed to make viewers feel the things one feels when reading a Stephen King horror.


message 16: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy Gage I loved this book not for the supernatural element... which kind of leaves me cold... but for the real-life scary descriptions of *being run over in Maine*! I know that road in the first scene... and a close friend was run over in Maine--it's a good thing that happened before I read this book, or I might just have gone searching for the Sematary.

Very much enjoyed King's twist on zombies as well.

The movie? Meh. Kind of dumb. Doesn't hold a candle to the book, IMHO.


Melanie Titus The book creeped me out but I couldn't even watch the movie. Maybe because I knew the kid was coming...but I had to stop watching!


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Janese wrote: " but the movies just don't do justice for his scary books.

I agree But I think they did a fairly good job with

Carrie
The Shining
Misery


Turtleduck I enjoyed both. Granted the movie did not give me as much of that really creepy chilling feeling that the book gives me, but it was pretty scary! And the kid they picked to play Gage, well he was simply to scary for words. Imagine that face hacking you up! Shudder...


Kathy Nic wrote: "The book is one of my favorite Stephen King books, but the movie--in my opinion--is the worst one ever made...."

I agree with you. Years ago I read this story. The characters were real to me and I liked the family, so much so, I could understand why he took his son to the cemetery.

Then when the movie came out, I was excited and went to see it. Wow! I was so disappointed. Some characters were combined into one character or another. Some were not in the movie at all. Nor was the storyline anywhere near as true to the book. It's like the screen writers ripped out sections they like, wrote some dialogue and then sent it out to make money. I could not feel for the characters in the movie, what I felt for the characters in the movie. The basic premise was there, but they didn't capture my attention nor my emotions. After that, I never read a book that I thought might be made into a movie, until I see the movie or I would not go see the movie and enjoy the book instead. Books are always better than the movies; although, occasionally some movies are almost as good as the books.


message 21: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Pelham Pet Sematary was one of King's very best. The movie was pretty faithful to the book, and was not a bad movie. On the other hand, it was far from a great movie. I'd give the book an A+, the movie a B-.

What made the book so powerful was that you knew what was coming and felt helpless to stop it. It'd be hard to sustain that feeling in a 2-hour movie.


Jewelee Owings I thought the movie was pretty good, cuz I watched it before I read the book. Books are always better.


message 23: by Cyl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyl I saw Pet Sematary before I read the book and I find that the book brought out some things which would have been great to see in the movie. The movie is a guilty pleasure for me. Stephen King's books don't always come across well in movies.

My preferences:

Cujo - the book is better.
The Shining - the book is better. (I read that Stephen King is planning to write a sequel to this book following what happens to Danny. I'll look forward to that book).
The Tommyknockers - I liked the book & movie
The Storm of the Century - loved the screenplay & movie
The Green Mile - I've not read the book but I love the movie. I just bought the book so we'll see how close it follows.
The Shawshank Redemption - I've not read the book but I love the movie.


Karen Rawlings Nic wrote: "The book is one of my favorite Stephen King books, but the movie--in my opinion--is the worst one ever made. It has terrible acting, the storyline changes were made for the worse, and it is too sho..."

I agree, movie stunk, book way better. Saw it years ago.


Michelle Loved the book...but the movie left a lot to be desired!


message 26: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt I never say that a book is better than a movie or vice versa. They're just completely different artforms. That said, Pet Sematary is great book and a mediocre movie.


Karen I agree with most of the comments. The book was much better and scarier than the movie.


message 28: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Cyl wrote: "I saw Pet Sematary before I read the book and I find that the book brought out some things which would have been great to see in the movie. The movie is a guilty pleasure for me. Stephen King's b..."

That's a nice run-down you have there. To add my opinion of one not on your list, the movie adaptation of "Thinner" is probably the only adaptation I like better than the novel. The novel is three hundred pages of a man losing weight and occasionally getting a secondhand story about his mob friend messed up a gypsy camp. The movie, of course, just shows us him getting all skeletal and scary rather than taking page after page of having him stand on a scale.


Godiva3 Always the book!


message 30: by Hiba (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hiba the book is way better!


message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Gerd wrote: "Did we watch the same movie? :)

I liked Pet Sematary, I thought the casting was spot on, and they kept the keyscenes intact. All in all I regard it to be one of the more faithful book adaptations."



How could you say the casting was spot on? wasn't the wife supposed to have long red hair? I would have casted Jennifer Aniston?


Tiffany Newman i like the movie better because it was more creepy then how the book was to me


Christopher Winterburn I felt the book was far superior to the film. The book scared the hell out of me where as the film just didn't.


message 34: by Tash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tash Dahling SK's films also seem to be filmed on really low budgets. And it shows. Dreadful film. Fantastic book!


message 35: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Scott The movie was abysmal. I watched it with a friend who had never read the book and felt embarrassed making him sit through it. Awkward.


Melissa Martínez I saw the movie first. But when I read the book, is other thing. Much better the book than the movie. By far.


Benjamin Stahl Gerd wrote: "Did we watch the same movie? :)

I liked Pet Sematary, I thought the casting was spot on, and they kept the keyscenes intact. All in all I regard it to be one of the more faithful book adaptations."


I agree, I thought the movie was excellent, and while there were many changes from the book, they were all actually decided on by Stephen King, I imagine, seeing as he wrote the screenplay.
The casting was good - especially the guy who played Louis Creed, and Gage was perfectly, heart-breakingly cute.


Jared I saw the movie and thought it was decent. I didn't see anything particularly wrong with it... and then I read the book and my standards went through the roof. I shan't be watching that movie again. :)


message 39: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Hancock REALLY surprised no one has mentioned "The Dead Zone" with Christopher Walken, which IMHO is the best adaption of a SK book into a movie. The dramatic changes were minor, and the spirit of the book still shines through.

The Shining was its own animal, better in some ways than the book, and worse in others but essentially apples and oranges.

if we're talking about the 1989 Pet Sematary with Denise Crosby as the wife, I had some major problems with the production.
I felt the kid, especially when he went possessed, was the definition of underwhelming. He just looked hilarious coming after them with the knife. And, I felt scenes like that should have been more shadowed, or something. Add some creepiness with atmosphere. It CAN be done, but in this movie, I felt the adult performances were just ok to good, but way better than the kid.
Addtionally, some things, like the deadfall, were much better in my mind than in the movie.

In fairness, though, even when SK directed his own movies, silver bullet and maximum overdrive, they failed abysmally at creating the atmosphere you'd expect from a SK movie.

The Shining managed to capture the atmosphere, but not the plot.


message 40: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike The book is great the tension and horror mixed with my imagination...WOW

The movie, well it was alright Herman Munster aka Fred Quinn (I think) meh also found the little boy highly annoying even more so, when dead.


message 41: by Tash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tash Dahling Tash wrote: "SK's films also seem to be filmed on really low budgets. And it shows. Dreadful film. Fantastic book!"
In fact, I just watched this again and I'll be the first to admit, it wasn't half bad!!!! Who knew?!!?


Andee Schuck I admit I could not finish this book because it was too eerie. I made it through It and The Shining, but this was too much (probably because I had a black cat just like the one in the book so I always imagined my cat doing those creepy things to me). But I watched the movie and it was seriously more funny than scary. It NEEDS to be re-made.


Maddy I think I joined this discussion a little bit late, as I just finished the book and watched the movie yesterday… but I have to agree with Nic here. For me, this was one of the most disappointing, failed movies ever made. Dale Midkiff, who played Louis, was the worst actor of all, and he had the biggest part!! The only good actor was the kid who played Gage, as a matter of fact. The movie was unbelievably cheesy and not at all scary. I have never seen a movie that has let me down more than this one. Normally I think that horror movie remakes are disastrous, along with sequels (and Lord forbid I ever have to watch Pet Sematary 2), but I think a remake can only go uphill from here.


message 44: by Piet (new) - rated it 4 stars

Piet Katje Yep, the book is better!


Martine It is true that King's books are always better than the movies. But Pet Semetary is epic! Gage has to be the best villain ever!

Younger, I used to laugh at the Stephen King movies because I thought there were cheesy and low budget. But now, I realise that I consider these as having become cult movies. Oddly, they have aged well: The people under the stairs, Rose Red, the Langoliers, The Stand, Night Shift, It, Sometimes they come back, Christine, Thinner, Stand by me, Carrie... Those movies are still awesome! Creepshow was by FAR my favorite, as I am a Stephen King's short stories fan.

Funny how we start seeing things differently as we grow older...


Michael The scariest part of the movie was Fred Gwynne not wearing his Herman Munster makeup.


message 47: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Pelham I can understand the disappointment in the movie, because the book may be SK's best. However, the movie was a pretty good (and quite faithful) effort...it just doesn't stand up to the novel.


Seawillow Allen Gerd wrote: "Did we watch the same movie? :)

I liked Pet Sematary, I thought the casting was spot on, and they kept the keyscenes intact. All in all I regard it to be one of the more faithful book adaptations."


LOL.


Seawillow Allen I loved the movie. It scared me to death.


Michelle This is a tough one. If you have a good imagination you can almost picture the movie but both are worth your time!


« previous 1
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Pet Sematary (other topics)