SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

The Silent Tower (Windrose Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Silent Tower
"Silent Tower" discussion > SILENT TOWER - Chapters XVI - XIX & Epilogue **SPOILERS**

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jon (jonmoss) | 892 comments Ah, the rush to the end. I held off as long as I could to finish these last four chapters and the short epilogue, which is one of my favorite nostalgic bits in this book because when I read this book in 1985, I was neither married nor a mother. I was a college student studying mathematics and computer science, programming on supercomputers (not quite as advanced as what Joanna had access to). Passwords have come a long way (I routinely mistype my passphrases at last four or five times per day because they are very long and contain oddball characters).

That being said, however, I find it a bit odd that Gary, from our world, would set his password to a term common to the other world, when he had only been not-Gary for a matter of hours?

Did you realize before these last chapters why Antryg feared everyone, including Joanna?

I plan to pickup The Silicon Mage later in the week and probably read it over next weekend. While not completely a cliff hanger, The Silent Tower does leave us with a lot we want resolved.

Casceil | 34 comments I had not realized why Antryg was afraid to trust Joanna. Once he explained it, it made perfect sense, but it came as a surprise. I also found the password overly simple. Even then, weren't there password-cracking programs that would run through everything in the dictionary? I suppose it is possible that Gary just considered it an inside joke, and did not expect anyone to try to crack it. I think it is more likely, though, that the author just wanted to come up with a password that would be possible for Joanna to crack, while still making it look very clever of her to do so.

message 3: by Snarktastic Sonja (last edited Jul 28, 2012 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Snarktastic Sonja (SnowNSew) | 31 comments Ok. I finished. And, I am angry. >:( As others have said on other threads, I enjoyed the book characters enough to want to know what happens, but I find my mind really wandering as I read. So, I am stuck with a dilemma - to read the next one (since I really want to know what happens) or go on to the next book on my "to read" list (for maybe a bit more plot movement.)

I really enjoyed reading the character and the chapter by chapter analyses, and wish I had thought to look or them sooner. Many others have nailed my thoughts right on the head - it is definitely a picture of the times. I received an Electrical Engineering degree in 1983 - there were like 4 women in the entire engineering department. And, I dropped my CS double major because it was . . . um . . . not right for me. So, I get a real feel for Joanna. (I adore all the stuff she pulls out of her bag!)

Sooooooooooo - I am really not sure where to go now. How 'bout the rest of you?

Janny (JannyWurts) | 151 comments Sonja wrote: "Ok. I finished. And, I am angry. >:( As others have said on other threads, I enjoyed the book characters enough to want to know what happens, but I find my mind really wandering as I read. So, I am..."

The sequel is most definitely worth the trip. Actually, both of them. The last, Dog Wizard, is more of an addendum with a plot that involves the same characters, but a different problem. You will get a finish to Vol I on the second book.

Casceil | 34 comments I have started the second book, but so far it looks really unpleasant (Antryg in the hands of the Inquisition). Does it get better soon?

Jon (jonmoss) | 892 comments Casceil wrote: "I have started the second book, but so far it looks really unpleasant (Antryg in the hands of the Inquisition). Does it get better soon?"

I can't remember ... and I'm not quite ready to start my re-read (more likely tomorrow).

Have faith. Joanna is one tough cookie and Antryg tougher than he looks (and more clever than most everyone else combined).

Snarktastic Sonja (SnowNSew) | 31 comments Casceil wrote: "I have started the second book, but so far it looks really unpleasant (Antryg in the hands of the Inquisition). Does it get better soon?"

Oh, my. I can't put it down. It moves along much more briskly than the first does. I am very glad I took Janny's advice!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Silicon Mage (other topics)
The Silent Tower (other topics)