Struggling Writers discussion

*Archives * > Good and Evil *Spoiler Warning*

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene, Moderator (new)

Irene | 2465 comments Mod
Curiously absent from The Golden Compass are four words that are prevalent in most fantasy adventures: right, wrong, good, and evil. Can these terms be applied to this story? How and why, or why not?

Cassandra Stapleton (SirisAnkh) | 21 comments I don't think those are good words to use in a story. Those words are subjective to the characters of what they think those words mean. Not every character would see something the same as another character.

message 3: by Irene, Moderator (new)

Irene | 2465 comments Mod
Cassandra wrote: "I don't think those are good words to use in a story. Those words are subjective to the characters of what they think those words mean. Not every character would see something the same as another c..."

Well more on a whole, there doesn't seem to truly be good guys and bad guys, just everyone making up their own mind. I always saw Lyra as the good and Ms. Coulter and her party as bad. Then all the others somewhere in-between on the spectrum.

Cassandra Stapleton (SirisAnkh) | 21 comments I have to agree with you. The way Lyra views cutting makes it seem like a terrible thing and I view her good because of this. Ms. Coulter and Lyra's uncle I viewed as bad but not such the church as a whole. The church just seemed like a group who's mostly ignorant of what's really going on but by choice. The master minds fell on Lyra's parents as the bad guys.

unread topics | mark unread