only the awesomest book club ever discussion

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
2012 > Guernsey Literary....Society

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lena Hillbrand (LenaHillbrandauthorTheSuperiors) | 141 comments Mod
Here is where we discuss the book!

First off...I didn't know much about this book, but I'm finding it interesting. I am listening to the audiobook and I like the reader a lot. The letter format is okay, but it limits the perspective a lot.

Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Hey guys. I'm a little more than halfway through this book. Not much action, and it took me a while to get into, but I'm enjoying the story.

The historical part of this novel is interesting, but I think the format detracted from my enjoyment. Anyone else started it yet?

And...done. I'll post my review in a few days.

Miz (Chickletducks) Really liked it - one of the hidden gems from this year (so much so that I bought a collectors edition hardback). http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Liz Hillbrand | 25 comments I read this book a long time ago, but never posted a review for it because I'm a dork!

Liz Hillbrand | 25 comments The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie SocietyThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to this book on a road trip and found it interesting, except for the reader's accent. I was very surprised when one of the other people in the car said it gave him alzheimer's to listen to it. I liked the plot complexity and was surprised by the ending. It was interesting the way the life of Elizabeth was slowly revealed throughout the book, even though her character wasn't present. It focused on an aspect of WWII that I never though about, places that were not occupied during the war but the people's lives were very affected by the war. I also found the part about the evacuation of the children very moving, because I hadn't thought about people having to send their kids away when they were at war. Overall I thought the book was very good and recommend it to anyone who wasn't a guy, as apparently it was too 'chick-y' for guys.

View all my reviews

Miranda wrote: "Really liked it - one of the hidden gems from this year (so much so that I bought a collectors edition hardback). http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..."

Glad you liked it!

unread topics | mark unread