75 Books discussion

Archive (2009 Completed!) > Meghan's 2009 Books

Comments (showing 53-102)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 102: by Susan (new)

Susan Meghan wrote: "75. Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia (12/1/09)

I was so excited to see a gothic fantasy for YA come on the market that was NOT about vampires or faeries! Beautif..."

Congrats on the 75! I was pleased to see your glowing comments on this book. I just got a copy of it and it is going to be the next one I start. We seem to like a lot of the same books, so this is a good omen for me!

message 101: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 3071 comments Mod
Horay Meghan!! Good for you!

message 100: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1599 comments Mod
Congratulations, Meghan. WooHoo indeed!

message 99: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 75. Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia (12/1/09)

I was so excited to see a gothic fantasy for YA come on the market that was NOT about vampires or faeries! Beautiful Creatures is a richly detailed Southern Gothic Fantasy about a teenager, Ethan, who feels trapped in his small Southern town. His angst is at an all-time high when he meets Lena, the new girl in town. And what a new girl she is! The world created by this author overflows with rich descriptions and poignant imagery, and her descriptions of the world of witchcraft (or casters, as they prefer to be called) overflow with vivid details. I also really liked the love story that develops between the two main characters. It seems more of a natural progression than a "love at first teenage sight" situation, which I found refreshing. All in all, I highly recommend for those in desperate search of a great YA supernatural story that doesn't read like a cookie-cutter Twilight knock-off.

THAT IS 75! WOOHOO!

message 98: by Meghanly (last edited Nov 15, 2009 05:49PM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 74. Sabriel - Garth Nix (11/15/09)

Harry Potter has spoiled me for all fantasy written before 1997. Seriously. At some point, Gath Nix's tale of a young girl saddled with the responsibilities of her death-controlling Abhorsen ancestors would have been intense, a page-turner. But you just can't compete with Hogwarts. And the totally unnecessary romance? Give me Ron and Hermione's innocent but tense love-hate relationship any day of the week.

I bought the trilogy all at once, so I still have Lirae and Abhorsen, the 2nd and 3rd books, staring me in the face. To read or not to read? That is the question.

message 97: by Andrea (new)

Meghan, nice to see you again! I've hit slumpls like this where I couldn't bring myself to pick up a book for months. I know other avid readers that have also experienced this. Must just be your brains way of saying give me a break!

message 96: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 73. The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown (September 2009)

Reading Dan Brown's book is a little like taking crack - all of the short little chapters keep me wanting more, more, more! That being said, while this was a pageturner, and while I could not put it down until I finished it, the ending was waaay too preachy. I was completely unsatisfied at the end! But hey - there are worse ways to spend 24 hours than devouring a Dan Brown book!

message 95: by Meghanly (last edited Nov 12, 2009 06:36AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 72. Fire - Kristin Cashore (Early October 2009)

This book was so completely unexpected. Please do not consider it a sequel to Graceling... in the hallowed vein of Lois Lowry's The Giver, The Messenger, and Gathering Blue, Fire is a companion novel to Graceling. And what a companion it is! Set in a parallel world, at a time that (we think) is very shortly before Graceling, Fire follows the story of another young female protagonist, also with very special gifts that isolate her from the world at large and from those she loves.

Please don't take my comparison to Lois Lowry to mean that is was perfect. In fact, there were some parts that were so similar to the Graceling plot (yes, we know you love the troubled young man who seemingly can't stand to look at you) that I was a trifle bored with the pacing. But Cashore can create a world that entraps you in its beauty and ecccentricities, and this alone makes Fire a worthwhile read.

Overall - 4 stars.

message 94: by Meghanly (last edited Nov 12, 2009 01:21PM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 71. Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins (Early October, 2009)

Eagerly anticipated follow-up to one of my favorite 2008 YA novels, The Hunger Games. So I really thought the whole novel was going to happen outside the Hunger Games arena - which was cool, in my book. I was ready for Katniss to take the bull by the horns and start a revolution, a la Joan of Arc. So when Collins ... very suddenly, mind you... drops you back into the Arena with Kat and Peeta, I was a little shocked but hey - let's go with it. I mean Hunger Games was TERRIFIC - I'll ride along with you, see where it takes us.

That's where my admiration ended.

The sections of the novel in the arena were paced too quickly for any real suspense to build, the characterization of the new competitors we meet in the arena was uneven and rushed, and the climax - well, I've already given too much away, but let's just say I was like... huh?

So will I read the next one? Yeah, probably. If not just for the fact that reading two books in a trilogy is like playing seven notes in a scale - you feel like there is just something missing until you finish. And will I recommend it to others to read? Well, of course read The Hunger Games. And if you read that one, you might as well read this one too!

message 93: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 70. Waiting for Normal - Leslie Connor (Sepember 2009)

One of those breath-of-fresh-air YA novels, where you like the protagonist from the beginning, root for her through her trials and tribulations (in this case, a bipolar mother and all that entails), and are happy for her when it all works out in the end, with a pretty little bow tied on top. There are a few deviations from the formula- a main character dies, for example, though not unexpectedly - but nothing that rocks your world or makes you think. So was it cute? Of course. Will I recommend it to my 7th and 8th graders? Probably. Will I remember reading it at this time next year? Probably not.

message 92: by Meghanly (last edited Nov 22, 2009 01:24PM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments I was so close to finishing in May - and then I quit reading. I don't know why - can't explain it - but it happened. But I'm back! I have read a few books in my absence, and will add these with approximate dates.

message 91: by Andrea (new)

Meghan, I haven't seen you around in a while, I miss our chats! I hope you are doing well and reading. I miss seeing your posts!

message 90: by Karol (new)

Meghan, I totally enjoyed stopping by and reading your posts today.

(LOL, "Mary scurried to the door, Mary scurried across the field, Mary scurried through the passage..." I felt like the main character was a mouse, not a girl.)

Thanks for sharing your views, and I like it when the English teacher in you comes out - you mention the kinds of things that often distract me from being able to enjoy a book. So, I appreciate the warnings!

message 89: by Meghanly (last edited May 25, 2009 04:45PM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 69. Hero - Perry Moore (5/25/09)

If this novel hadn't been so drawnout, I think I would have liked it more. I mean, superheroes? Yes, please. But the length of the book wasn't prolonged because it was necessary - only because the author wasn't experienced enough to write it succinctly. But, there are so few Young Adult novels with a gay protagonist, it gains points. Overall, I'm split down the middle - three stars.

message 88: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 68. Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac - Gabrielle Zevin (5/24/09)

When I picked this up, I did not realize it was by the same author of another YA novel I love, Elsewhere. I loved this one even more. It's so real and honest... I love books that really do remind me of high school and adolescence, when everything seems so important but things change so quickly and you're nostalgic but eager for the future all at the same time... this book just left me with a good feeling all over. As Zevin says in her acknowledgements, "I tell you, this is a good life."

message 87: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 67. Storm Glass - Maria V. Snyder (5/23/09)

I really enjoyed this book. I love Snyder's world (this is the same world and characters overlap from Snyder's previous trilogy, Poison Study), though her writing is hit or miss. And I noticed the editing in this one is not so hot. Regardless, she catches you from the beginning and doesn't let you go. You could also tell she had done a ton of research on glassblowing and the like... kudos, Snyder. I plan on reading the second book in this trilogy, Sea Glass, when it arrives.

message 86: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 66. The Other Side of the Island - Allegra Goodman (5/22/09)

Predictable and poorly written dystopian Young Adult fiction. But it did keep me entertained. I think what bugged me the most about her style of writing was there was little to no variation in sentence structure. You would read a paragraph and 9 out of the ten sentences would start with "The girl did...." The girl ran..."The girl saw..." That simple "article noun verb" structure gets so awfully boring to me.

Sorry. English teacher in me coming out.

message 85: by Meghanly (last edited May 22, 2009 08:20AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 65. I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith (5/22/09)

This book took me an entire week to read... and no, it wasn't one of those weeks where I read for five minutes at red lights. I actually sat down each morning and evening, for an hour or two and seriously read. Most books of this size ((about 300 pages) I could complete in a matter ofhours. This, however, with its dense language, intense descriptions, and Jane Eyre-esque romances I took my time with and savored, basking in the glow of an author with a fabulous vocabulary and a knack for putting together metaphors and turns-of-phrases that capture the imagination. This isn't a fly-by-night Young Adult novel that will be read quickly and just as quickly forgotten. Cassandra's coming-of-age will stay with you long after you devour the final page.

message 84: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 64. Cocktails for Three - Madeleine Wickham (5/15/09)

I picked this up because of the Spring Challenge - read two books by the same author that writes under different names(Madeleine Wickham is also Sophie Kinsella, who writes the Shopaholic series). It was as to be expected - fluffy chick lit, with a predictable and happily-ever-after ending tied up in a nice big bow. I didn't even find the characters particularly endearing. But it took up a lazy afternoon, so I don't have much to complain about!

message 83: by Meghanly (last edited Nov 14, 2009 03:53AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 63. The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan (5/14/09)

Such an interesting premise - the world's poulation has fallen victim to a virus that leaves the majority "Unconsecrated" - or, as we commonly know it, zombies. Our heroine Mary lives in a small village in the middle of The Forest of Hands and Teeth, surrounded by intricate fences to keep the Unconsecrated out. The village is run by the highly powerful (and highly suspicious)Sisterhood, a religious matriarchal society. But Mary longs to be free... sounds like the start of a great M. Night Shyamalan movie, right? However, the sketchy character development and the sophomoric writing style make the book fall flat. I mean, come on, can you think of a verb other than "scurry"??? "Mary scurried to the door, Mary scurried across the field, Mary scurried through the passage..." I felt like the main character was a mouse, not a girl. And her overwhelming feelings for Travis, the main love interest, came so quickly, I kept thinking why??? You don't even know this guy! And he doesn't seem all that great to begin with! In the hands of a better author, The Forest of Hands and Teeth (and who can beat a title like that???) would have been a winner. But as it stands - go rent Signs.

message 82: by Susan (new)

Susan Meghan wrote: "I liked it because everything wasn't all peachy keen in the end. Also, the story DEFINITELY changed because werewolves reveal themselves to the world (this is in the summary as well as the first ch..."

Hey Meghan - I've read enough of your comments to respect your opinion! If we all liked the same thing, what a dull world we would live in :) i still love Sookie and look forward to reading the new one.

message 81: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments I liked it because everything wasn't all peachy keen in the end. Also, the story DEFINITELY changed because werewolves reveal themselves to the world (this is in the summary as well as the first chapter of the book, so I'm not spoiling anything, I promise!). However, I liked the book before this - thought the whole "Vampire COnvention" event was fascinating, and it really gave a lot more depth to Harris' world - so my opinion probably shouldn't mean very much to you! :)

message 80: by Susan (new)

Susan Meghan wrote: "62. Dead and Gone - Charlaine Harris (5/13/09)

I heart Sookie Stackhouse. She is fun and flawed and a toatl riot to follow along adventures with. I love the world C..."

This series has been a favorite of mine and I didn't realize there was a new one out, so thanks for your post! I was a little disappointed in the last one - didn't think it carried the story forward as much as previous ones. How does this one measure up?

message 79: by Meghanly (last edited May 15, 2009 05:43AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 62. Dead and Gone - Charlaine Harris (5/13/09)

I heart Sookie Stackhouse. She is fun and flawed and a total riot to follow along adventures with. I love the world Charlaine Harris has created. I love that I can read the books in this series without falling asleep. If you like vampires - aren't a teenage girl who thinks Twilight is the end-all be-all of vampire books - and haven't read this series - go now!

message 78: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (StacieH) | 728 comments Meghan wrote: "61. Handle with Care - Jodi Picoult (5/8/09)

I hit a wall with reading for awhile - nothing held my interest. This piece of fluff helped draw me back in again, howev..."

Congrats on making it past the wall (and there ain't nothin' wrong with reading 'comfort food', LOL)

message 77: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 61. Handle with Care - Jodi Picoult (5/8/09)

I hit a wall with reading for awhile - nothing held my interest. This piece of fluff helped draw me back in again, however. Yes, I know Picoult is really formulaic, that reading one of her books is like reading them all... but they are like reading comfort food for me.

message 76: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 60. Three Cups of Tea One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time - Greg Mortenson (4/21/09)

Another audiobook, and maybe I should have read this one instead. I found myself completely zoning out, especially when he went into his long-winded descriptions about the mountain scenery. Don't get me wrong - what he did (is still doing!) for those children is AMAZING ... and I was actually very intrigued by the scenes in which he bartered for supplies, circumvented local customs in order to accomplish building the schools, etc ... but he lost me in the "in-between" with his lengthy observations.

message 75: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 59. The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides (4/19/09)

So at first, I was all about this book. I felt the characters to be highly intriguing, and the use of the collective first person narrative (using "we" instead of "I") was incredibly unique and gave the book a voyeuristic detective novel feel. But as soon as the girls all kill themselves (no spoiler there - it's called the virgin suicides, hello), I was immediately bored. The descriptions became tedious, the narrators too pretentious. It quickly fell to a three star as I struggled to finish the last 50 pages. All in all, unique, but definitely not one I would read again.

message 74: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 58. The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things - Carolyn Mackler (4/17/09)

I really liked this YA book, precisely because it put into words so many of my own thoughts about being overweight and struggling with food addiction as a teenager. Most of the events Virginia experienced as related to her weight I, in some form or another; have dealt with as well. The end was a little too neatly wound up for my tastes, but still I think it's an important read for any girl with body issues... which is most everyone, no?

message 73: by Meghanly (last edited Apr 15, 2009 04:20PM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 57. Undead and Unwed - MaryJanice Davidson (4/15/09)

I have never liked romance novels. This, however, had vampire, so I decided to give it a try. It was fun. Not great - give me a Sookie Stackhouse ANY day of the week. But it was fun. The protagonist, Betsy, talked waaaaay too much, and the dialogue was sometimes a little too forced (you're not THAT funny, Mary Janice Davidson)... but hey. It's a paranormal romance. What do you expect?

message 72: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 56. Hunted - P.C. Cast (4/13/09)

This is the latest book in the House of Night series. For the first 125 pages, I kept asking myself, why did I like this series?? The conversation was contrived, the protagonist whiny, and the plot slow. Hunted, however, hit the ground running at about page 150 (when Zoey finally returns to school) and from then on it was fast-paced and engaging (not as much dialogue either, which was cool). The book is written by a mother/daughter duo, and I think maybe one wrote the first part and the other wrote the second? Maybe not, but howver it happened, when the book finally gets going in the second half, it's a much better read.

message 71: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 55. The Shack - William P. Young (4/11/09)

It's just not my thing. I will feel bad slamming this book and its simplistic, condescending writing style, so I won't insult it or those who think this book should be double-packaged with the Good Book itself. But for me - you can keep it, thanks.

message 70: by Jess (new)

Jess (bookaholicjess) I'm amazed at your list! I've only read 10 books so far this year! I started the challenge a little late this year, but hopefully I will complete the 75.

message 69: by Meghanly (last edited Apr 10, 2009 06:48AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 54. Ella Minnow Pea A Novel in Letters - Mark Dunn (4/8/09)

This epistolary novel was so original, thoughtful and comments so well on society and government as a whole without being preachy. Because everything was written in letters, I did get rather confused as to which character was saying what, but the leaving behind of the letters, and the creativity on the author's part of writing an entire story without all of the letters of the alphabet, was genius. I actually thought it was an awesome social commentary as well, about the arbitrary nature of government. Recommend!

message 68: by Meghanly (last edited Apr 10, 2009 06:47AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 53. Dewey The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World - Vicki Myron (audiobook - 4/7/09)

Finally finished this audiobook in my car. The narrator was AMAZING - I loved her rich voice. However, the story was overly sentimental and fairly repetitive. If you are a cat lover, you would like it - but otherwise, skip it. If you have to read a pet memoir, go for Marley and Me.

message 67: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 52. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson (4/7/09)

I loved this story. High intrigue, perfectly paced, interesting character development. The translation, however, was a little clunky. I couldn't say more than La Petite Américaine did in her GR review - all of her gripes about the translation were the same I had while reading. Still, I would recommend for those looking for an interesting whodunnit that is enormously entertaining.

message 66: by Karol (new)

Meghan, I already had this one on my to-read list, but your review makes me want to move it to the top of the stack.

message 65: by Meghanly (last edited Apr 04, 2009 06:59AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 51. The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America - Erik Larson (4/3/09)

I am not a fan of nonfiction, and actually put this book off a couple of times to read my beloved fiction. Once I finally picked it up, however, I had to keep double-checking that it was truly a work of non-fiction - it read like a novel! And then, when I had finally convinced myself that it was true, I kept wondering - how have I never heard about ANY Of this?!?!? Especially living so close to Chicago for 10 years of my life. The weaving together of the serial killer's experiences with the high drama of building the World's Fair was genius. Highly recommend!

message 64: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 50. Persuasion - Jane Austen (4/2/09)

So my only foray into Austen's work was Pride and Prejudice for a high school english class, where I proceeded to read the first four chapters and then bought the CliffNotes. When I chose this book for the TNBBC Spring Challenge, I was pushing myself, convinced that I was old enough to see the beauty and treasures of Austen's "classic" works. Either I am still not mature enough, or Austen just doesn't do it for me. It could very well be that I just don't "get" it, but all I got from this novel was a whiny girl, who had no flaws except that she was too demure, who pined and pined away for a man until she got him. Booooring. Apparently, she was well-read too - though I didn't see her read a book throughout the entire 180 pages.

I know so many women who are in love with everything Austen wrote - heck, they made a movie about an Austen book club! - but I obviously will never be a card-carrying member. Give me the dark and stormy world of a Bronte sister any day of the week.

message 63: by Meghanly (last edited Apr 16, 2009 08:16AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 49. A Northern Light - Jennifer Donnelly (4/1/09)

I loved this one. The perfect blend of mystery, coming-of-age, and feminist thought. It would pair really well with Virginia Woolf's "A Room of One's Own", but for the young adult crowd. I also
liked how the true story of a young woman murdered because she became pregnant out of wedlock was woven into Mattie's struggle. Recommend.

message 62: by Meghanly (last edited May 22, 2009 12:00PM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 48. Postmortem - Patricia Cornwell (3/31/09)

When I saw how many Mystery Book Awards this novel won the year it was published, I was confident I couldn't go wrong. Well, I went wrong. I guess the problem stems from the fact that I like to be able to figure out mysteries with the protagonist... if there is a murder, I expect the murderer to be a character I met somewhere in the novel and I will be able to follow the clues along with our hero/heroine to catch the bad guy. Not so with Postmortem. You fly through 350 pages only to catch the so-called murderer, who is some regular old joe that you never once crossed paths with. Maybe she is trying to give the story "realism", but I'm sorry... I grew up in the Law and Order generation. I want to solve some crimes.

message 61: by Meghanly (last edited Mar 29, 2009 04:07AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 47. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close- Jonathan Safran Foer (3/28/09)

I don't even know how to begin to review this book. It took me all night to come up with that opening line.

I can't tell if I really liked the book because it was different than anything I ever read, or couldn't stand thebook, because it was different than anything I have ever read.

Oskar's voice was magical. I'm a sucker for anyone who can write in a truly authentic child's voiice, and Foer did a fabulous job. An example: when Oskar was sad or upset he gets "heavy boots". What could be friggin' cuter than that?

On the other hand, the intercollary chapters in which either the Grandmother or Grandfather write... I was less than impressed. Maybe it was the whole stream-of-consciousness writing. Call me old-fashioned, but I like periods. In fact, I adore punctuation as a whole, and consider it vital to (at least my own) understanding of what the hell is going on. So when Grandpa dithers on for three pages without nary a sign of a period or a comma? No thanks.

And the topic. I have steered way away from any and all books and movies that deal with 9/11 because I don't want it to become sentimental drivel. I mean, I lived it. I remember. I don't want somebody else's memories clouding mine: I have my own. Maybe not the brightest or most open-minded of opinions, but it is mine. I am so glad I broke my rule by reading this book. He approached this subject with not a trace of drivel, just raw emotion and honesty.

And how baout including pictures, colorful words, even blank pages throughout the story. Some say genius, some say waste of paper. I think that some of it did add to the story. Some of it did seem like a waste of paper. I don't like doing something just for the sake of being different, but I think Foer did his best to actually use these to move the story along. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn't.

All in all, I look at the length of this review - obviously way longer than any other I've written this year - and I think about how much more I want to say, but don't have the literary skills, and I realize what a great piece of work this novel is. Anything that gets you worked up, gets you thinking, gets you talking - that is what art is supposed to be.

So, without a trace of hesitation - recommend.

message 60: by Meghanly (last edited Mar 27, 2009 10:02AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 46. Noughts & Crosses - Malorie Blackman (3/26/09)

Interesting premise - blacks are the ruling class, and whites were recently released from slavery, but are still kept separate and considered inferior. A "nought" and a "cross" fall in love, and the allusions to Romeo and Juliet are thinly veiled but still enjoyable. The writing is shaky in parts - especially in Sephy's narration - but the plot is nicely paced and the unique idea keeps you interested. Recommend.

message 59: by Meghanly (last edited Mar 26, 2009 04:45PM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 45. Blood Brothers - Nora Roberts (3/26/09)

My second foray into audiobooks, and I wish I hadn't. I never read romance novels anyway (and if I do, I skip over the "throbbing member" scenes,which is nearly impossible in a naudiobook without going too far and having to try and rewind back...), and the guy who was narrating did these HORRIBLE voices - and hearing him talk "sexy", in a New York female accent, was NAUSEATING. I honestly can't even tell you if I liked the story because I was so distracted by the awful narration and "acting". Never again.

message 58: by Meghanly (last edited Mar 26, 2009 03:36AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 44. Night - Elie Wiesel (3/25/09)

If you haven't read this, go out and get it now. It is short, but so powerful.I don't know what took me so long to buy it and read it. I don't even feel worthy enough to give it a review.

message 57: by Meghanly (last edited Mar 25, 2009 03:22AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 43. Deadline - Chris Crutcher (3/24/09)

I didn't like this one as much as Whale Talk. I tend to get annoyed when authors cover the same themes over and over again in their novels - in this one, Crutcher actually uses the same metaphor of the spaces in an atom being the same distance, proportionally, as the distance between the universes. And when the main character finally talks to his amazingly beautiful crush for the first time, and she automatically asks him on a date... I couldn't take it. Highly unlikely.

Don't get me wrong - Crutcher is still bitingly clever, and I laughed out loud quite a bit. But you're going to have to pull some new rabbits out of the proverbial hat, Chris, to keep me interested.

message 56: by Meghanly (last edited Mar 25, 2009 11:06AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 42. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafón (3/23/09)

I can't believe everyone hasn't read this amazing novel. Its intrigue, its beautiful loneliness... I fell in love with the highly developed, heartbreakingly tragic cast of characters. The fact that the novel was set in a bookstore and included a "Cemetery of Forgotten Books" made it a five-star in my heart. Highly recommend.

message 55: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments 41. The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein (3/19/09)

The beauty and simplicity of this story overwhelmed me from the beginning. It's one of those books where, from the very first page, you know you are going to bawl your eyes out. And I did. I loved the dog as a narrator. Recommend.

message 54: by Meghanly (last edited Mar 18, 2009 07:59AM) (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments Yes, that was actually the first Chris Crutcher novel I ever read, and it was equally amazing. I have now added more Crutcher to my TBR list!

message 53: by Susan (last edited Mar 18, 2009 08:49AM) (new)

Susan Miss Vicki wrote: "Meghan... I love recorded books too. I just recently started to listen to them when I purchased an iPod and it is so much fun. I also got a pair of wireless headphone. Commuting, house cleaning, an..."
I can download books for free from my public library through a site called overdrive.com. Now I always have at least one I am listening to and one I am reading.
Also - Meghan - have you read Chris Crutcher's "Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes"? It is one of the first young adult novels I read when I took a YA lit class several years ago and it really blew me away.

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

From Dead to Worse (other topics)
Like Water for Chocolate (other topics)
The Boleyn Inheritance (other topics)
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (other topics)
Poison Study (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charlaine Harris (other topics)
Laura Esquivel (other topics)
Philippa Gregory (other topics)
Rachel Cohn (other topics)
Maria V. Snyder (other topics)
More...