Highlander Romance discussion

Outlander (Outlander, #1)
This topic is about Outlander
Gabaldon's Outlander headed for TV

Comments (showing 1-50 of 92) (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Harriet Schultz | 42 comments I don't know if anyone else posted this here (can't find it if it was), but Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" books are going to be turned in to a series by Sony Pictures TV. I doubt that they'll be able to create the story and characters that the book's fans have in their heads -- including mine -- but we can hope! Here's a link to more:
http://www.cinemablend.com/television...

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Minton (EmilyMinton) I did not love Outlander as much as most of my friends. I loved the story, but I felt like there was way way way to much filler. It took away from the story. With that said, I think it will make a awesome movie. It will have to move faster, to keep viewers entertained. I bet I will love it.

message 3: by Anne (last edited Jul 24, 2012 10:27AM) (new) - added it

Anne (Spartandax) | 100 comments I liked the first two books. After they left Scotland, it did not hold my interest, and while I read the first two books fast, the last 5, especially the last one dragged for me. I wish somehow they had gone back to Scotland.

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 12 comments I'm in the "can't wait" and "scared to see it" categories.... sometimes you have to be careful for what you wish for, you know? But the "showmaker", R. Moore, says he's a true fan, and he seems to be doing things right by DG - even meeting with her to discuss everything, including how to break the books into seasons and episodes.

DG says that she'll likely get a producer's credit, but she has no official say over anything, unlike J.K. Rowling, who had absolute say on everything on the movies for her books.

Very anticipated new cable series! I expect HBO, Showtime, etc. to be in major bidding wars over this - serious ratings possibilities! Another runaway hit, likely, just like DG's friend's "Game of Thrones" on HBO.

Eliza March | 3 comments I'm a great fan of this series. I've read them at least twice. Hmm, I may go read them again. :)

Barbee | 30 comments I find books are always much better then the movies after all how can you put over 900 pages in a couple hours...example...A walk to Remember...Message In a Bottle...The Notebook and even Twilight....some of these were ok films...some horrible...Twilight....but there is always a lot missing in my opinion. Of course since Outlander is my all time favorite book I will watch it...I heard Starz is picking it up. Although the cable Chanel I get is Showtime...I will pick up Starz while Outlander airs....Happy New Year to all!

Elizabeth Scott | 15 comments Wow, that's wonderful!! I love her books!

Sunny☼ (Sunny2) Is there an update on this movie...is it still in production? Is there a date of release?

message 9: by Lori McD (last edited Dec 31, 2012 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 12 comments Sunny, haven't heard any more since it was announced that it will be a cable series on Starz. Thought it was set for a Fall 2013 date, but they're either keeping it all in the dark (casting, locations, etc.) or things are moving slower than anticipated. I don't have the pro version of IMDB, nor will I pay for it; so perhaps there is more info out there...

Sunny☼ (Sunny2) Thanks Lori.. I know the next book in the series Written in My Own Heart's Blood was to be released this month but has been put on to Sept. 2013. Whether or not the movie release is contingent upon the book release is a whole other matter.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Mrsbooks | 1 comments Has it been announced who is playing Clare or any of the other characters?

He seems a good fit for Jamie. I can picture him with red hair lol.

Regina (Sweettreat) | 5 comments His face fits the part certainly, but I have seen him in other films and he doesn't appear to be as tall as Jamie is described. But still a cute face, kinda boyish as Jamie is so young when he an Claire first meet. I hope that Claire is cast well and they don't get some baby that looks fresh from the cradle since Claire is 5 years older than Jamie. I can't seem to bring anyone to mind for Claire, but I haven't had my coffee yet(smile)

message 13: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments I have heard through the grapevine that this is closer and closer to becoming reality. I heard they were going to make this into a mini-series for cable.

message 14: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan | 33 comments 16 episode Starz series covering book 1. Will probably start late summer 2014. They are filming now :)

message 15: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Thanks Megan. I know that a lot of people will be happy to hear this. This should be interesting.

Barbara ★ Here's a link to the Outlander Series Group that has been discussing this topic for quite a while.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 17: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Thanks for the info Barbara, I checked out some of the posts out. I went over to IMDB to get a gander at the lead Jamie Fraser; he's a cutie!

message 18: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Morrisey (KatMorrisey) | 6 comments Here's a link to Heroes and Heartbreakers blog, saying who they cast as Claire (it's from September). http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com...

I haven't read the books yet, but the first one is up next in my TBR. I'm hoping I like it.

message 19: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Kat wrote: "Here's a link to Heroes and Heartbreakers blog, saying who they cast as Claire (it's from September). http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com...

I haven't read the books yet, but the first one is up..."

I just checked out this website; got a lot of good stuff on the site. Thanks for posting the link.

message 20: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Thanks to the ladies who have kept the group abreast of all the Outlander TV news. I can't wait to see the reviews for the mini-series.

message 21: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments I just read a great article in last week's Entertainment Weekly about The Outlander. it was one of the shows to watch this year.

Barbee | 30 comments You lassies should check out Diana Gabaldon's blog lots of Outlander news! I actually watched a live feed last week with the actors, Diana and Ron Moore of Statrz. It was awesome! I was lucky to meet Diana last year in NYC last summer at Book Expo.

Sláinte,
Barbee:)

Katie ® | 8 comments Barbee wrote: "You lassies should check out Diana Gabaldon's blog lots of Outlander news! I actually watched a live feed last week with the actors, Diana and Ron Moore of Statrz. It was awesome! I was lucky to me..."

OMG! So I did look this up and yes... omg... yes! The series will be coming out this summer on STARZ! I have to re-read OUTLANDER.... But who is complaining?!
AND LOOK WHAT I FOUND!
http://www.thewrap.com/starz-outlande...

EXCITED GIF photo: Excited Gif Excited1.gif

message 24: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Barbee wrote: "You lassies should check out Diana Gabaldon's blog lots of Outlander news! I actually watched a live feed last week with the actors, Diana and Ron Moore of Statrz. It was awesome! I was lucky to me..."

Thanks Barbee!

message 25: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Katie wrote: "Barbee wrote: "You lassies should check out Diana Gabaldon's blog lots of Outlander news! I actually watched a live feed last week with the actors, Diana and Ron Moore of Statrz. It was awesome! I ..."

LOL!

message 26: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments They just keep talking about the series. I was watching the show EP Daily last night and they featured a story at Outlander. it is really getting a lot of press.

Katie ® | 8 comments I am so excited! This is awesome! Can't wait to watch it. I have like all my family members getting starz just to watch this with me lol

message 28: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Does anyone know the exact date Outlander will be coming to Starz? I just will have to have my sister record it for me on her DVR.

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments Jocelin wrote: "Does anyone know the exact date Outlander will be coming to Starz? I just will have to have my sister record it for me on her DVR."

everything I see has different dates. I've seen September, and I've seen December. :/

message 30: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments WHAT?????!!!! I thought it would be coming out this summer!!!

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments I wouldn't be surprised if it came out earlier since the date's changed so much.

message 32: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Ok, I just checked out the Starz website for Outlander and this will be more than just a mini-series. This will actually be a new series for Starz. I was watching EP Daily last night and they said that it will be a series. So now, I may have to get cable so I can keep up with all the discussions on this series. The website said that the US Premiere will be on August 9th. Just saw a preview of it and it looks good!

message 33: by Charlene (new) - added it

Charlene (CharlenetheStickler) | 24 comments I saw Diana's page the other day, and Jocelin's information seems identical to what it says. I will be signing up for Starz just in time to begin it later in the summer!

message 34: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments I will have to get cable. I miss it so!

Katie ® | 8 comments Jocelin wrote: "Ok, I just checked out the Starz website for Outlander and this will be more than just a mini-series. This will actually be a new series for Starz. I was watching EP Daily last night and they said ..."

Yes! I saw a commercial on HBO for the Outlander series and it will be out August 9th for U.S. on Starz channel. :) This is awesooome!

message 36: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments This is exciting!

message 37: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Anyone marking the days off on their calendar? :-)

Katie ® | 8 comments Giiiirl I have already called my cable company and have set it up for Starz to be added on Aug 8th! I am definitely counting down. :)

Natalia (Natilia) | 7 comments I have been following all the details of the book at the time it was decided that it would become a TV series. I had my doubts at first, but when I was reading Diana Gabaldon tweet about her joy of respectfully history have been glad. I also was glad when I saw who interpret the characters.

Tell me, are happy with the choice of Caitriona Balfe as Claire Randall, Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser and Tobias Menzies as Frank and Jack Randall?

Katie ® | 8 comments I think Caitriona is exactly what I imagined when I imagined Claire Randall.... Sam as Jamie, not so much. I am kind of disappointed. I am just really disappointed in all the male characters for this series. Jamie is suppose to be this strong sexy Highlander.... and I do not see Sam Heughan as being that..Well I take that back. He is sexy but in my opinion he is way to scrawny. I hate when I read a book and have this vision of the Character and when they make a movie they chose an actor/actress who looks nothing like I pictured.

Natalia (Natilia) | 7 comments Katie ® wrote: "I think Caitriona is exactly what I imagined when I imagined Claire Randall.... Sam as Jamie, not so much. I am kind of disappointed. I am just really disappointed in all the male characters for th..."

I was happy with the choice of Caitriona, although I have't seen much of her work to ensure that she will do well as Claire. Which left me with serious doubts was Tobias Menzies, because he thought so much as Frank, but I've been finding out their work and I think is very talented. Sam, I think I disagree a bit here, because from the beginning I liked your choice on the role of Jamie Fraser. Well, when I saw him as blonde I was a little puzzled, but I've been finding out their work and see him is a very versatile actor who has traveled in various genres in film, television and theater. But I understand when I say you don't always choose the characters as we imagine. I never thought Dougan would be grey hair, I thought so even a little younger than Collum. Of course I also imagined Jamie too muscular but tall and large frame, but without exaggeration.

message 42: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Katie ® wrote: "Giiiirl I have already called my cable company and have set it up for Starz to be added on Aug 8th! I am definitely counting down. :)"

LOL!

message 43: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Is anyone going to re-read the Outlander books before the series starts?

Natalia (Natilia) | 7 comments Jocelin wrote: "Is anyone going to re-read the Outlander books before the series starts?"

I read the seven books before the series stars :)

message 45: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments 2 weeks from tomorrow the wait will be over.

message 46: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Free preview this Saturday, August 2, 2014 on Starz.com. If you don't have cable, you can check out the 1st episode online & early.

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments No way!! That's awesome!!

message 48: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 284 comments Ok, so I got a chance to see the first episode of Outlander on Starz.com. This opinion is coming from someone who has not read the book. I have not immersed myself in the world of Outlander so I am an outsider. I will say this, I really did enjoy the first episode. The episode was a slow build and it was well done. I look forward to reading others reviews and what they thought of the show.

message 49: by Xia (new)

Xia (XiaT) | 107 comments Jocelin wrote: "Ok, so I got a chance to see the first episode of Outlander on Starz.com. This opinion is coming from someone who has not read the book. I have not immersed myself in the world of Outlander so I a..."

Same here. I've never read the book, but I really enjoyed the first episode!

Laura the Highland Hussy (Highlandhussy) | 654 comments I couldn't finish the book but I loved that first episode. Best move Starz ever did was making that episode free. I wonder how many new subscribers they'll have?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Written in My Own Heart's Blood (other topics)