Kannapolis Paranormal Booksuckers discussion

Book Club Discussions > September 2012 book- Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K Hamilton

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (chey1) | 647 comments Mod
When St. Louis's most powerful vampire comes to Anita Blake for help, she is faced with her greatest fear'a man capable of arousing in her a hunger strong enough to match his own.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

It's been a few years since I have read this series-mainly because of the direction that Laurell K Hamilton took the series after book 8. They turned into pure smut. But the first 8 were great. I wanted to reread this series for two reasons. One, to get over the anger of them being turned smut and no longer the violent master pieces that they once were. The other reason is while I hate that they turned into smut, they are well written smut unlike a very popular book series that is out right now.

message 3: by Debbie (last edited Jul 21, 2012 09:08AM) (new)

Debbie | 62 comments I've read all of them and I'll agree with Jessica that they did turn into smut. But all the books with the smut had good story lines in them and you do learn why Anita has this compulsion to f***. (Sorry for that, but I didn't know how else to put it.) The last book that Laurell has written was much better with less of the smut in it and more of the fighting/solving. You'll learn more of why Anita has less smut scenes too.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

I always feel bad because I do not recommend this series to a lot of people unless I know that smut is acceptable to them.

message 5: by LaNita (new)

LaNita Herlem (lanita_lynn) Read them all and I agree... it got to the point where the smut overwhelmed the story. It is seriously an overload when the smut even get boring. But I think she has brought it back, or at least tried to in the more recent books.

message 6: by Peaches (new)

Peaches (PrincessPeaches) | 94 comments I had to give up on the series when I found myself glossing over pages and pages of sex. I found this series when I was in high school and originally really liked it.

As for that other book... I haven't wasted my time.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Anita, in the first 8 books, made me feel like being a kick ass girl! I felt empowered, that I could do anything. This series is what started my love of paranormal books. Before getting my hands on this series, I basically stuck to authors like Nora Roberts and Julie Garwood. Hamilton opened my eyes to a whole new genre where women don't depend on the men to save them. Instead, with a sword and a gun in hand, they are doing the saving, with sarcastic comments as they slay!

unread topics | mark unread