Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Do the movies follow the books well?

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (last edited Jul 17, 2012 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monica I have seen some of the Harry Potter movies, but I don't remember them. Do they follow the books well, or are the books way better?

Analise as usual the books are always better, but the movies do follow the books pretty well i think. though they do leave some things out, they pick small things things that we could do without most of the time.

Will IV "Do the movies follow the books good?"

*well

Jenna yea they do but they leave alot of things out

Elia Pretty much, except for Half Blood Prince, which was kind of a travesty. They hacked and slashed that one to little bitty bits. But the others are as accurate as can be expected when you condense several hundred pages down to an hour and a half or two hours on screen.

Nina I started the series because I thought the 5th movie was so good. In general they're pretty accurate. I feel movie adaptations are getting better and better.
So you'll hear no complaints from me. And I agree with Analise, little details are left out but nothing major.

Linda Lemons I think as they went on they got closer to the books but they left so much out to start with it was kind of hard to make it up. But for the most part i dont think they follow the books.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay honestly they did an amazing job!!!Considering they had to fit it all into 2 and a half hour movies(though I would have sat through 4hour movies). Sure some things were left out but I did not particularly mind. If you want every little detail read the books, if you want to watch the story come to life watch the movies. Not to mention the lengths they went to to create the HP world. People have got to stop complaining about this.

Brenda As a movie based on a book, the Harry Potter movies are an excellent example of how to do it. They didn't change major plot points. They didn't turn characters into something else. I tend to read a book and get seriously pissed when I watch the movie. I never did with this series of movies. Yes there are things are are not in the movie that was in the book BUT JK Rowling's world is very detailed. If everything was in the movies, the movie might last all day long.

Haleigh I feel that they did a wonderful job. They follow the books pretty well, except for a couple important things (more about the mirror, Neville's parents not being dead, Neville almost being The Chosen One, more about Voldemort's Horcruxes, and Ariana & Kreature's stories) that were left out, and I really wish they kept them in.
But considering these books have hundreds of pages, they did really well. I mean, look at the Percy Jackson movie. That was awful. Or even Twilight. Both epic fails (even though Twilight was already a fail).
And I agree with Brenda, you can't put everything into the movie. It's last forever (though I wouldn't mind). I feel they did an amazing job! They put in a lot of major plot points (except for the things I mentioned above) and portrayed them well.
I don't really see what there is to complain about. Even though they left out those few things (and I was mad about them, believe me!), the movies were still amazing. At least they didn't fail like Percy Jackson.

Monica Thank you everyone!

Monica Will wrote: ""Do the movies follow the books good?"

*well"

Opps! Thanks :)

message 13: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will IV :)

message 14: by Bid Or Buy (last edited Jul 23, 2012 02:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bid Or Buy Movies don't follow nor respect the plot. When it comes to movies it's more about the fact that they need to follow a more consumerist approach that helps them sell better. That implies a scenario, less concerned about the details and more action oriented. Even the characters have certain atributes that reflect the society we're living in.

Samantha The Escapist As a book purist who read before watching I have to say that I had a LOT of problems with the movies; most jarring of which would be the 4 distinct directing styles. I wanted the movies to feel the same as they went but from movie to movie the changes are simply atrocious (Flitwick goes from white beard to tesla stache, whole landscape around the castle changes, etc.)

Movies are bound to be different and there will never exist a perfect book adaptation (though Hunger Games made a really good go of it) but aside from my issue with the directors the HP movies hit most of their marks well enough, all that`s really missing is the fluff at school during the school year - the stuff about gooing to classes, quidditch matches, etc. These little activities are, for me, what builds the believable side of Harry Potter. These are the immersive things that get people proper addicted to the universe. Plus the characters turn into real people somewhere along the way which isn`t something they get to do during the movies. it`s worth it, and even if you know what`s going to happen you won`t be bored reading the books.

Julia Movie adaptations of books will always differ from the original story. Think about how long it takes to read a 400 page book.. bits and pieces of that have to be pulled out and condensed into 2 or 3 hours. And then cinema is an entirely different business than actually reading a book. And even though it's been quite a while since I've seen the early HP movies, from what I remember they are pretty true to the stories. The characters are portrayed very well, and all the essential parts of the story are there, but there is also some added action that was neverin the books.. but that is what I expect when seeing a movie adaptation of a book, so it didn't bother me any.

message 17: by Dawn (last edited Jul 24, 2012 06:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn Nah, I mean they are what they are. As a person who is learning how to write film scripts, I respect the fact books are completely incapable of being 'truly' faithful movies. The central reason, in a book you can easily slip into someones brain.

Unlike most, I prefer the early films over the later ones as I feel they were close to the spirit of the world. I even prefer the plain black cloaks of the earlier films. In the later films, there was a point where it seemed like there was a hot topic in Hogwarts it was bleeding with so much house specific merchandise over everyday clothes.

The changing directors didn't help and when they started the series, because it wasn't a "complete" book series, I think it hurt them (when it came to character focus, especially the ones who seemed minor, but turned out not to be).

In my opinion, they should have figured out BEFORE Deathly Hallows that the series might benefit from a few two-parters to really handle the material. By Goblet of Fire, the first really BIG book for a YA series, they knew we would happily pay to see a two part film, but until they ran out of films to make (and knew the cash train that was Harry Potter was one film away from ending). Even though I didn't like Deathly Hallows part 2 as much as part 1, the numbers prove 2 part films (once they knew the series had the fan base for them) were completely possible long before Hallows.

I really don't watch the films that often, I'd rather listen to the audiobook if I don't have time to page through the books themselves and need a little Harry in my life for entertainment. I mostly watch the films with friends.

Addendum: But, I will say after recently seeing how HORRIBLY, Percy Jackson was ripped to shreads in it's film incarnation, with hardly any respect for anything actually in the pages of the book. I hold the HP adaptions, as a whole, a better work than that one.

Monica Okay! Thanks everyone :)

message 19: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn Haleigh wrote: "I mean, look at the Percy Jackson movie. That was awful. Or even Twilight. Both epic fails (even though Twilight was already a fail)."

I disagree, I think Twilight is a good adaptation - I refused to see Breaking Dawn on hating the book even worse than the previous three, but though it's in my opinion not a great book, but a good adaptation of the material. Now Queen of the Damned - wonderful source material - bad adaptation of it (of course, that's because they tried to squeeze Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned into one beast and then made up a bunch of crap to make the merger work). Compared to that, HP was a very successful adaptation.

Carly In my opinion, I think they did a pretty good job on the movies. Except I think, during some parts of the movie, they left out a little too much of the little things like the trio's conversations while walking in between classes. But every time I see the movies I say, "That was one of the best movies I've ever seen."

Emily 5 stars for me

Ellie im re-reading the series now and watching the movies again for the umpteenth time RIGHT after I finish the books so i've been noticing nit-picky details like a different person said a different line or minor details like that. i think they follow the books pretty closely but probably less so towards the end since SO much goes on.

message 23: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Ryan For the most part, I feel the movies were pretty close to the books. I enjoyed the movies with the exception of "Goblets of Fire." LOVED the book, HATED the movie. Way too much of the story left out for a non-Potter reader to follow the story.

The Upside of Down Times: Discovering the Power of Gratitude

Michelle Dawn wrote: "Nah, I mean they are what they are. As a person who is learning how to write film scripts, I respect the fact books are completely incapable of being 'truly' faithful movies. The central reason, in..."

I agree with you about the earlier films being better. I loved the first two that Chris Columbus directed because they had an element of "magic" (pardon the pun) that the others didn't have. I agree that when they got away from some of the details (like wearing the capes) then the movies started to lose something. I also felt the last two movies stayed more true to the books than parts 3-6 overall.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (other topics)
The Upside of Down Times: Discovering the Power of Gratitude (other topics)