Historical Romance discussion

General Discussion on HR Books > Suggestions on new authors?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 84) (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube I am extremely picky about my historical romance authors. I need some humor in my books.
My favorites are Eloisa James, Lisa Kleypas, Celeste Bradley, Julia Quinn, Celeste Bradley, Sabrina Jeffries, and Catherine Coulter.

If anyone has any suggestions pertaining to alternative authors that are similar to these I would be greatful!!! :)

Like I said the author needs to have some humor. Please nothing dull...I appreciate any help that you are willing to give.

message 2: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 342 comments Julie Garwood and Jacquie D'Alessandro are two authors I enjoy who incorporate humor in their stories. I also highly recommend Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels.

Two other favorite authors of mine are Liz Carlyle and Gaelen Foley. They have a little humor in some of their books, but they are also usually pretty emotional reads. They are both very good authors IMO, but I'm not sure if they would be what you're looking for or not. I personally find Lisa Kleypas' books to be fairly emotional too, so you might try them out to see if you like them.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 17 comments Joy,

You might like Suzanne Enoch's "Notorious Gentlemen" series.

I love this series!

message 4: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments Sally MacKenzie's "Naked" series cracks me up.

message 5: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 18, 2009 08:55PM) (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 17 comments Kayleigh

I haven't heard of her. What is that series about? Besides the obvious name LOL!! Since it cracked you up I am curious

message 6: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (KayleighJamison) | 100 comments Cheryl,

She's a relatively new author (debuted a few years ago), her books are Regencies with quite a good dose of humor. The first in the series if The Naked Duke. I pulled the blurb for you:

The Surprise of Her Life

Sophisticated. Scandalous. In fact, Miss Sarah Hamilton, a proper Philadelphian, finds London society altogether shocking. How can it be that she has awakened from her innocent slumber to find herself in bed next to a handsome--and exceedingly naked--man? The laughing onlookers standing in the doorway are no help whatsoever and surely this amorous lunatic cannot be a duke, as he claims. She is compromised--though she most certainly will not marry him!

The Sweetest Moment of His

James, the Duke of Alvord, is enchanted by his unexpected bedmate--and not at all afraid of her pink-cheeked fury. True, the circumstances and place of their meeting are most unusual, but the spirited American who's pummeling him with a pillow is an incomparable beauty. If Sarah will only listen to his perfectly reasonable explanation, James is sure that he can capture her heart...forever.

The second, The Naked Marquis:

THE MAN IS PRACTICAL
As marriage proposals go, Charles Draysmith's suit is as romantic as the moors in December. Emma Peterson might be only a vicar's daughter, and he the new Marquis of Knightsdale, and perhaps he would rather marry her than endure the marriage mart. But when he suggests how much he'll enjoy securing an heir, well, a lady can only endure so much.

BUT THE LADY IS PASSIONATE
There's something about a woman throwing pottery at a man that piques his interest. Perhaps his proposal lacks grace, Charles thinks. But it does seem a perfect solution. He acquires a wife; his young charges have the mother they so desperately need, and Emma gains security and position. You see? Simple. Practical. Sensib—oh no, not the ceramic dog… He will have to confess the truth to calm her down. And the truth is, he's madly in love…

She's got excerpts on her website as well. http://www.sallymackenzie.net

message 7: by J.D. (last edited Jan 18, 2009 10:54PM) (new)

J.D. Stroube Wow, I am surprised at the responses! LOL I have one book by Gaelen Foley and one by Liz Carlyle sitting on my bookshelf, but I have not tried reading them as of yet. I was a bit timid to try them, because I did not know anyone who has read them. I am going to have to pick try reading them now! :)

I tried Cathy Maxwell recently and did not like her at all. She bored me to tears. :(

I am definately going to add all of your suggestions everyone! :)

I am seriously loving this website. I do not know anyone who likes historical romance so this group especially is a godsend!

I still have a few books by Celeste Bradley to read. She is a recent favorite, that I suggest everyone try.

Thanks everyone, and keep the suggestions rolling. :)

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 17 comments Kayleigh,
Thanks! I will have to pick up her books, they sound really good! I really enjoy humerous situations.

message 9: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube I just dont think a romance book is good unless it has some humor.
I loved Eloisa James Duchess by night. The whole book had me tearing up I was laughing so hard. My husband kept looking at me like I had grown two heads. I ended up having to give him a play by play of the book. He thought it was hilarious, and ended up telling everyone in his side of the family about the book. :)

message 10: by Fani (new)

Fani loves angst (FaniP) The most humorous author I've ever read is Lyndsay Sands. "The Switch" is hilarious while "Love is blind" is humorous but emotional as well (both are great). Her medieval ones, "The key", "The deed", "Bliss" are all hilarious as well, although they're not my favorites.

Recently read "My dearest enemy" by Connie Brockway and it reminded me a lot of Julia Quinn's style: slightly humorous, some funny scenes, but with emotional depth as well. I also loved "The heir and the spare" by Maya Rodale, a very humorous story with the heroine getting mixed by twin brothers.

I also second Jaquie d'Alessandro recommended above.

message 11: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube I have actually read "The Switch", a long time ago. I enjoyed it, but I may have to read it again. I also read My dearest enemy! It was actually really good.
I have never heard of Maya Rodale though. I love the books with twins though! I am definately going to check that out. :)

message 12: by Fani (new)

Fani loves angst (FaniP) Maya Rodale is a new author, but I loved The heir and the spare, I read it in 2 days which is as soon as possible for me. If you like fluffy, humorous stories (but with some historical inaccuracies) this is a very fun and quick read. I also ordered The Rogue and the rival, the second twin's story.

message 13: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica Slightly Scandalous by Mary Balogh was funny. Or any book by Balogh (except maybe Slightly Tempted). Tender Rebel by Johanna Lindsey is also good. Barbara Metzger writes nice funny romances.

I'd also recommend a book containing short stories. In every one I've read there was a least one funny one.

message 14: by Kariti (new)

Kariti Barre (ChocolateBarre) | 2 comments Connie Mason is a good read.

message 15: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube LaTrica
I actually like Mary Balogh, but I haven't read her in a long time.

Kariti
Connie Mason was the first romance author that I ever read. :)

I just bought some Christina Dodd books two days ago. I used to read her a long time ago, but haven't thought of her in a while. I'll let everyone know if the two books I bought are any good!

message 16: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ThisIsThatVeryMab) Have any of you tried Catherine Hart? I used to read her historical romances quite a bit. I just recently re-read her novel, Sweet Fury, and absolutely loved it!

message 17: by new_user (new)

new_user Love Dodd, Joy. :) Which books did you get?

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 17 comments Joy,

I love Dodd as well, I am curious also :)

message 19: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube I bought Dodds "One Kiss From You", and "Scandalous Again". I am very optimistic about them. :)
LOL I have been taking weekly trips to the bookstore to stock up on my historical romance authors. I have found some new ones that I am hopeful about. I also grabbed some old favorites that I haven't read in a LONG time. :)

Lindsey-I have never heard of Catherine Hart...What kinds of plots does she usually stick to?

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, those two are some of my favorites, Joy! Especially One Kiss from You. I hope you enjoy them! :)

message 21: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube Hmmm...I'll have to read One Kiss from you first then! I have been re-reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer, but once I am done I plan to delve back into my romance novels. LOL

message 22: by Kariti (new)

Kariti Barre (ChocolateBarre) | 2 comments Not so much a historical romance novel, more like sci fi, but another really good read is "Somewhere my Love" by Karen Fox. It's really a beautiful story.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (steffercat) | 7 comments If you're looking for something unusual and find the WWII era romantic, try Jack London's French Letters.
The first book in the trilogy releases in February.

www.virepress.com

message 24: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 7 comments If you like PN romance you should try Kenyon's Dark Hunter series she is absolutely great and hilarious the first is Fantasy Lover and I also like any of Amanda Quick books

message 25: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube I just finished reading Scandalous Again by Christina Dodd, and I loved it! I am not reading "One Kiss From You" but I haven't gotten very far yet.
I also recently read "Pleasure for Pleasure" by Eloisa James. It was great, but it didn't have much in the way of humor. I still recommend it though!

message 26: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, I'm glad you liked it, Joy! I really liked that one. I liked Pleasure for Pleasure too, although, incidentally, I was more interested in the secondary characters! LOL. I liked the widow.

message 27: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube I wasn't crazy about Darlington in Pleasure for Pleasure. He irritated me for some reason, but I did like the widow.
I am about half way through "One Kiss From You", and it is fairly good. I am not see the chemistry yet, but I imagine it'll get better soon.

message 28: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 32 comments I'm currently reading "My Dearest Enemy" (was that a rec from you, Fanip?) - am loving the 'literary boxing match' in their letters!
I definitely agree with Fanip's choice of Lynsay Sands, and would add 'The Brat' to her list of enjoyable Sands' books.
Another author who fits in this category is Julie Ann Long - she hasn't disappointed yet, especially in her two most recent books: "The Perils of Pleasure" and "Like No Other Lover"

message 29: by Gmkleingirl (new)

Gmkleingirl | 1 comments Joy,
I just joined this group to tell you about my favorite author who has a gift for blending wit and humor with emotional depth and adventure, Theresa Medeiros. I think the funniest is Charming the Prince, though I love them all. Some of her books are loosely based on various fairytales, like The Bride and the Beast, A Kiss to Remember, Fairest of Them All.

I highly recommend Theresa Medeiros!

message 30: by zHaNe (last edited Apr 09, 2009 10:36AM) (new)

zHaNe (sTrife_ZeRo) | 24 comments i like Teresa Medeiros too! i like Nobody's Darling and Yours Until Dawn..i like a lot of books by her actually..her newest is Some Like It Wicked followed by Some Like It Wild..

message 31: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I just read Medeiros' A Whisper Of Roses. It was good but not IMO her best.

message 32: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 5 comments Teresa Medeiros is one of my favorite authors. I have all of her books and love her stories. I'm glad to see that others like her as much as I do!

message 33: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube Teresa Medeiros was one of the first romance authors that I liked!
I just finished a book called "At the Bride Hunt Ball" by Olivia Parker and it was extremely good. It was her first romance novel, but she is coming out with her second in September. If anyone is in need of a new book, you should pick it up! :)

message 34: by zHaNe (new)

zHaNe (sTrife_ZeRo) | 24 comments hey, Teresa...can u recommend some of the best books by Medeiros?.. i haven't read of Lady of Conquest, One Night of Scandal...uh..i forgot what i haven't read..

message 35: by J.D. (last edited Apr 11, 2009 11:19AM) (new)

J.D. Stroube I suggest trying Once an Angel by Medeiros. I remember enjoying that book!

message 36: by zHaNe (new)

zHaNe (sTrife_ZeRo) | 24 comments ei, Joy...i've read that already...and i enjoyed it!..

what do you think about One Night of Scandal?.. have you read it?

message 37: by new_user (last edited Apr 11, 2009 12:38PM) (new)

new_user I really liked Yours Until Dawn and the Cabot duology from Medieros. :)

message 38: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 5 comments I just went and grabbed all my Medeiros books off the shelf. Here we go (in no particular order): Heather and Velvet, Once an Angel, Charming the Prince, Lady of Conquest, Shadows and Lace, One Night of Scandal, Fairest of Them All, A Whisper of Roses, Yours Until Dawn, A Kiss to Remember, The Bride and The Beast, Thief of Hearts, Nobody's Darling (a western), Breath of Magic and Touch of Enchantment (paranormal's), Some Like it Wicked, Some Like it Wild.

My personal favorite is A Whisper of Roses but all of her stories make for a wonderful read. Once an Angel is also excellent. As I recall Heather and Velvet was quite good. I haven't read some of these in quite some time so I really can't remember some of them. Guess its time to re-read my keepers!!

I just read Some Like it Wild by Teresa Medeiros and while enjoyable isn't really one of her best books.

Right now I'm reading Highland Scoundrel by Monica McCarty. Not quite halfway. So far not too bad.

Happy reading ladies.

message 39: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy | 74 comments I've read two books by Teresa Medeiros. The first one was Charming the Prince. I found it very entertaining but at the same time a little sad and frustrated. The second book I enjoyed a lot more. It was One Night of Scandal. Loved the book, loved Carlotta, but most of all I fell head over heels over Hayden. :)

message 40: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube I havent read One Night of Scandal yet, but I'll put it on my to read list. I am currently reading "Love Letters from a Duke", but Elizabeth Boyle. For some reason I am just not liking it. I have no idea why...has anyone else read this book?

message 41: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Otten | 313 comments If you like humor in your historicals aside from the authors you mentioned and Julie Garwood, I would reccommend Betina Krahn's The Husband Test.

message 42: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 897 comments Mod
I read The Wife Test by Krahn and thought it was so/so. Someone told me it was funny like Sandra Hill so that couldn've added to the disappointment because it's no where near Hill. I have The Husband Test on TBR. I'm hoping it's better than the other one.

The Wife Test by Betina Krahn The Husband Test by Betina Krahn

message 43: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube I read the wife test a while a go but hardly remember it...

message 44: by Mia (new)

Mia Marlowe (MiaMarlowe) | 56 comments Hi Joy,

I'm currently reading Loretta Chase's LORD OF SCOUNDRELS and I confess I woke my DH last night laughing (must stop reading in bed!) Highly recommended.

Best,
Emily
http://www.emilybryan.com

message 45: by Chasidy (last edited Apr 18, 2009 02:39AM) (new)

Chasidy | 74 comments I just added Lord of Scoundrels to my TBR list because it sounds really good. Plus, if the reviews are any help I can't just pass this book up. :)It sounds really good.

Another book I found interesting was Stephanie Lauren's [Book:Devil's Bride]. I loved the H/H.

message 46: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube I just bought "The secret wedding", by Jo Beverly, and "A Duke to Die for", by Amelia Grey...Has anyone read either of those? Are they any good? Which do you suggest I read first? I'm reading "The Devil Who Tamed Her", by Johanna Lindsey, but I am going to read one of them right when I am finished with Lindsey.

message 47: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (bamamom) | 26 comments I just bought "One Night with a Prince" by Sabrina Jeffries, and "The Devil you Know", by Liz Carlyle, has anyone read these? I was wondering if they were good. Reading Wallflower series right now, looking for something to read next.

message 48: by Kali (new)

Kali Thomson | 10 comments Robyn, I've read all Sabrina Jeffries books and I absolutely LOVE her! Her Brotherhood of Royal Bastards series which "One Night with a Prince" is apart of is her best series. It's actually the last book in that series and my personal favorite. The hero Gavin is wonderful. But I also recommend both the other books in the series especailly "To Pleasure a Prince," which also has a great hero.

But on a side note, "Beware a Scots Revenge" a book in SJ's School for Heiresses series is my favorite book by her of all time. Definately check that one out, it's on a whole other level.

message 49: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (bamamom) | 26 comments Thanks Kali, I will look for that one, the Heiress series sounds really good.

message 50: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy | 74 comments I think Judith McNaught's book "Until You" was amazing! Although, it could be becuase I just finished it last night and insist it's the best book I've read in ages, but I do believe it is an amazing read. A story of love and lies like no other I have ever read.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lord of Scoundrels (other topics)
Tender Rebel (other topics)
Slightly Scandalous (other topics)
Fantasy Lover (other topics)
A Kiss to Remember (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gaelen Foley (other topics)
Julie Garwood (other topics)