Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2) Fifty Shades Darker discussion

''Mrs. Robinson''...

Comments (showing 1-50 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Tabby In Fifty Shades of Grey, we find out about Christian's ''relationship'' with 'Mrs. Robinson' (as Ana refers to her). In Fifty Shades Darker, we find out more about the woman herself and a little more about the involvment between her and Christian throughout the years (business as well as personal). My question is this: Do you see their former relationship as something sick and twisted, or something consentual and think it was okay? Do you see Mrs. Robinson as Ana does, a woman that preyed on a teenage boy? Or do you think that because of Christian's past and because he consented to and came to want and enjoy what she did to him, that makes what she did okay? Do you think that she played a vital role in the fact that he came to demand that type of relationship from women later in life, or do you think he may have found his way to that lifestyle on his own eventually had she not come along (suggesting that this type of dominant need was in him all along)? Do you think that she really ''helped" him as he continues to claim to Ana, or do you believe she hurt him instead? Did you agree with Ana's thoughts that Christian should stay away from the woman, even though they hadn't been involved in years and were only friends? Or do you think she was being unreasonable? Do you think Mrs. Robinson was actually in love with Christian, or do you think that she just wanted to see if she could come between him and Ana in hopes that she could pursue their former relationship? What did you feel when you read Christian's mother's reaction when she found out about Christian and Mrs. R.? Also, on another note, when Christian tells Ana what happened with Leila after Ana had left the apartment, what are your thoughts about how he handled the situation and Ana's feelings about it? I look forward to reading everyone's input and opinions on the subject of Mrs. Robinson :)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ I agree with Ana about Mrs. Robinson's behavior and actions towards Christian yet can see Christian's point of view as well. She helped mold him into the demanding/domineering man that Ana met. I also believe that in Christian's eyes that he doesn't really see what he and Mrs. Robinson did was wrong. He believes she shaped him into a disciplined young man in need of direction and guidance. Personally, I don't think I would have gone into business with her and remained friends with her though. I also believe that Christian's past plays a big part into his beliefs, ideals, and thoughts when it come to Mrs. Robinson. Mrs. Robinson on some level wants to continue their relationship yet Christian doesn't see this but Ana does and wants to put a stop to it. Mrs. Robinson sees Ana as a threat to her authority over Christian since she's had from the time he was fifteen years old. Ana challenges Mrs. Robinson for her place by Christian's side. On some level, Mrs. Robinson believes she loves Christian and is a better match for him than Ana is or ever will be. With or without Mrs. Robinson, Christian would have found the lifestyle eventually. I don't think Ana is being unreasonable with her request regarding Mrs. Robinson. Christian's mom finding out that her best friend seduced her young son and has the gall to ask and beg for her forgiveness. I loved Christian's mom bitch slapping Elena~is the slap heard around the world!

As far as Christian's behavior and actions towards Leila were as though treating a child after a long illness. He could have showed a little more tack in how he told her what he done. Yet Ana could have taken the news a little better but I think she showed grace in accepting Christian's behavior and actions.

Tabby Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "I agree with Ana about Mrs. Robinson's behavior and actions towards Christian yet can see Christian's point of view as well. She helped mold him into the demanding/domineering man that Ana met. I a..."

all very good points. i know that christian doesn't see what he and mrs. robinson did as wrong, and i do agree with you on the whys of that, but i personally feel that she was old enough to know better than to have a sexual relationship with a fifteen year old, consentual or not. i think that responsibilty was hers. christian was vulnerable because of his past and his need to fit in with his family, and i believe she knew that very well and took advantage of that.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ I agree with you about Mrs. Robinson is fully to blame for corrupting Christian. She doesn't get a free pass for what she did. She choose her needs over Christian's needs. Christian's desire to fit in with his family, his out of control behavior, and frustration at not belonging.

Hannah The fact is we don't know what would of became of Christian had Mrs R not been in his life but what she did was wrong n she definitely wanted Christian back otherwise she would not have told him to fly half way over the country to see Anna and her mum! She was hoping to scare Anna off!
I agree with everything that Angie has said u summed it up well :)

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Mrs. R was older and had clear power over Christian as a teeager and as the son of a friend, and she clearly abused her power by doing what she did. It was immoral because of that to me. What two individuals do who are consenting adults is their business, but Mrs. R violated both Christian's and his parents' trust....

Vanessa Consentual or not, he was 15, vulnerable and confused.

Mrs R I think was out of line to prey on him and took advantage of vulnerability even if it did make him confident.

message 8: by Dani (last edited Jul 16, 2012 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dani Vanessa wrote: "Consentual or not, he was 15, vulnerable and confused.

Mrs R I think was out of line to prey on him and took advantage of vulnerability even if it did make him confident."

Couldn't agree more! She was way out of line. How gross is that??? He was FIFTEEN!!!
How great was it when his mother slapped her after finding out?!? Loved it!

Tabby Vanessa wrote: "Consentual or not, he was 15, vulnerable and confused.

Mrs R I think was out of line to prey on him and took advantage of vulnerability even if it did make him confident."

I agree whole-heartedly!

Angelina Thank u!!!!!! It nice to see people reading more the just for the RRP u know.... and yes it was about time someone bitch slap Mrs. R. .... Do know how many times I screamed at the Damn book when her and Ana would into it a lot of it was hit that bitch it would make u feel better and me God and me... lol.....

Lynne If the roles were reversed, where the Christian character were female and Mrs. R were male, no one would question whether or not to characterize their relationship as abuse. And I believe the fact their relationship carried over into adulthood only further solidifies that fact. Christian felt an obligation to her because he BELIEVED that she made him into the successful man he is. To me, this just her abusive hold on him further perpetuated. It just demonstrates how sick their relationship really was.

Tabby Lynne wrote: "If the roles were reversed, where the Christian character were female and Mrs. R were male, no one would question whether or not to characterize their relationship as abuse. And I believe the fact ..."

Very good point.

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Kim wrote: "Mrs. R was older and had clear power over Christian as a teeager and as the son of a friend, and she clearly abused her power by doing what she did. It was immoral because of that to me. What two i..."

It was not just immoral but in most states would be illegal as well. It is called statutory rape.

Violette Exactly! The whole time I was reading, I couldn't help but keep thinking about how many people would be up in arms had the genders been reversed. I thought it was a pretty disturbing aspect of the book. Getting a 15 year old damaged boy into S&M, as an older friend of the family? Never OK, no matter how he turned out in spite of OR because of it.

Lynne wrote: "If the roles were reversed, where the Christian character were female and Mrs. R were male, no one would question whether or not to characterize their relationship as abuse. And I believe the fact ..."

Tabby Every time Christian would talk about Mrs. R and he and Ana would get into an argument over her, I felt like slapping the piss out of Christian to wake him up and realize that Ana has every right to feel the way she does about his continued relationship with Mrs. Robinson, be it a business one or personal. How could he expect Ana to feel any differently about a woman who was not only his past lover, but also a woman that preyed on a 15 year old child? How could he expect anyone to feel comfortable about that?

Pamela Moreton Agree with all of the comments above - especially when Christian gets so jealous when Ana sees Jose! Mrs R is evil

Mochaspresso It was wrong and truly not consensual because Christian was only 15 but he doesn't see it that way at all. To him, he got to bang the hot older lady.

message 18: by Stacey (last edited Aug 01, 2012 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacey Everyone has good points! I definitly think Mrs. R was a huge creeper who has internal psychological issues herself if she thought it was okay to have that type of relationship with a CHILD of 15 years old who came from a broken home. It's false comfort that she was giving him. I don't think he would have found this on his own at all. Clearly he's messed up on so many levels and this adds a whole new dimension of confusion to his life. I do however agree with the people above that he does not think his relationship with Mrs. R is twisted or wrong. Doesn't make it right though. Also, another good point about had the gender roles been reversed, it would have been totally and completely out of line. I would hate Mrs. R just as much if not more than Ana did. Yuck!

Tabby Stacey wrote: "Everyone has good points! I definitly think Mrs. R was a huge creeper who has internal psychological issues herself if she thought it was okay to have that type of relationship with a CHILD of 15 y..."

Yuck, indeed. And as I said, I don't see how Christian could honestly think Ana was just supposed to be okay with it and with him running to Mrs. R every time he and Ana got into an arguement or every time he got confused about his feelings on something. He should have been running to Ana (or even his mother or sister) to discuss their problems, not one of his old lovers who is the reason he is confused in the first place...IMO

message 20: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Tabby wrote: "Yuck, indeed. And as I said, I don't see how Christian could honestly think Ana was just supposed to be okay with it and with him running to Mrs. R every time he and Ana got into an arguement or every time he got confused about his feelings on something. He should have been running to Ana (or even his mother or sister) to discuss their problems, not one of his old lovers who is the reason he is confused in the first place...IMO "

I think Christian's "cluelessness" about "Mrs. Robinson" was very intentional to show his lack of personal perspective. It was only when he contemplated his own children that he could understand what she did was wrong.

Melanie If Mrs. Robinson fixed him (as they both claim) then why does Christian need Dr. Flynn?

Tricia I totally agree with Ana on this. she preyed on a schoolboy and to me that is totally unacceptable.

Tricia Mary wrote: "Tabby wrote: "Yuck, indeed. And as I said, I don't see how Christian could honestly think Ana was just supposed to be okay with it and with him running to Mrs. R every time he and Ana got into an a..."

I enjoyed the slap his mother gave her when she found out ;)

message 24: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. I ain't gonna lie I loved when "Mrs. Robinson" was kicked to the curb in the second book & I so loved the way Ana dealt with her. Like that woman was getting on ma nerves.

-She "helped" Christian? Please!!!!
She took advantage of Christian and let's be honest which teenage guy would turn down sex with a hot older woman.
As Christian stated in the first book "[Mrs. Robinson] was Old enough to know better"
If that was my child she did that to- Jail here I come.

Vanessa Dani wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Consentual or not, he was 15, vulnerable and confused.

Couldn'..."

The slap from the mother had me punching the air in celebration, I would have done the same!

message 26: by Jenna (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenna i havnt read previous comments but this is my take on it. How can she judge mrs robinson for what she has done to christian...when Christian is doing the same to Ana....except ana is older when it happens comared to Christians age when it started. She's a virgin and he's bringing her into that life style she doesnt have anything to compare it to I feel like Ana is being a hypocrit (i am not saying i agree with What mrs Robinson done i do not i think she's a chomo)but christian did concent to it with robinson just as ana did with christian. But she is letting him guide her into that life style as Robinson did to him

message 27: by Brad (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brad basically how I feel about the situation Mrs. Robinson needs to find her own lover and leave Christian and Ana alone. Geez.. The whole timing reading Fifty Shades Darker , Mrs. Robinson kept interfering with what Christian and Ana had going on really? I was excited when Ana splashed a drink in her face.. and when Christian's mom booted her out her house!! Praise to Ana for standing up.

Tabby Melanie wrote: "If Mrs. Robinson fixed him (as they both claim) then why does Christian need Dr. Flynn?"

THAT is one hell of a great point! I think really, really deep down, Christian knew that what they did was "fifty shades of f*cked up", and I think that even though he enjoyed it as much as he did, he also knew the lifestyle that his Mrs. Robinson phase led to was totally f*cked up, too. But, as he told Ana...it was the only way he knew. Again, thanks to the Bitch Troll. So yeah I think he went to Dr. Flynn because as confused as he may be about pretty much everything that doesn't involve his work or his playroom activities, he felt that it was wrong. All of it. Either way, I'm glad that he found Ana and was finally able to heal and love...and grow up. I'm also glad that he finally opened up to Ana about everything and that he realized that what Elena did to him was wrong.

Tricia Vanessa wrote: "Dani wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Consentual or not, he was 15, vulnerable and confused.

Mrs R I think was out of line to prey on him and took advantage of vulnerability even if it did make him confide..."

I second that! ;)

message 30: by Justine (new) - added it

Justine Saulnier i didnt like mrs.robinson

ShilvaH  And her books Mrs. R should get an endless spanking from Jack Hyde , they suit each other well.....SUCH A BI-O-TCH!!!

Racheld Justine wrote: "i didnt like mrs.robinson"

me neither..hate her..

message 33: by Loretta (last edited Aug 23, 2012 01:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loretta christine paulyn wrote: "Mrs. R should get an endless spanking from Jack Hyde , they suit each other well.....SUCH A BI-O-TCH!!!"

I agree with Mrs. R. & all the other supporting wannabes should be attached to that spanking! Gia, all the waitresses, servers, etc. But not Carolyn Acton, she's the best clothes shopper EVER! :)

message 34: by J.M. (last edited Aug 29, 2012 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.M. Stewart Consider me among those who detest Mrs. Robinson. As a child whose been taken advantage of by an adult, I think have to agree that Mrs. Robinson was the adult and she knew better. Christian had nothing to base this relationship on. It felt good, and something good became of it, but I can't wonder if that's all he felt. This was part of the story I felt didn't quite play true to life. There have to be underlying emotions deep down in Christian that the author didn't bring to light. In things like this, there is often an underlying guilt. Explaining that she helped shaped who he became, to me, seemed Christian's way of explaining away any guilty he felt. She's the manipulator, he's the victim. She knows how to get to him, and he isn't even aware of it. He's still that 15 y/o very innocent boy in quite a lot of way. And so part of a victim's guilt can often lie in the fact that what happens often does feel good. What my abuser did to me over the years (from the ages of 7-16) shaped who I became as well. Doesn't make it right what he did. I think the same thing in this case as well. She knew better, and even as an adult she continued to attempt to manipulate him.

Barbra I 100% agree with Ana... he was underage and there was no way on Earth it was ok to do what she did to him. He already had issues as it is and she preyed upon those issues and the fact that he was still a child. What she did was very sick and twisted. And she very much played a part in why Christian became the way he was. He had anger in him and instead of teaching him a healthy way to deal with that anger, she taught him a sick way to deal with it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the least bit opposed to a hot guy having his way with me and being all demanding and such, but for a poor, abused, confused...CHILD to have to "figure out life" that way is inexcusable.

Parul Sharma irritating woman...hate her charater.What she did was rediculous and beyond limits. she was sch a child abuser...she didnt hlp christen...she jst fulfilled her sick and evil needs.she deserves ppl lyk Jack Hyde.

Tabby J.M. wrote: "Consider me among those who detest Mrs. Robinson. As a child whose been taken advantage of by an adult, I think have to agree that Mrs. Robinson was the adult and she knew better. Christian had not..."

I agree with you 100%. I, too, know what it's like to be taken advantage of as a child and yes, there are feelings of guilt. How can there not be? And yes, I believe Christian's way of life stemmed as much from his underlying guilt over what she did as anything else that he tried to blame it on. He was an innocent. A child. He had no sexual introductions before her so of course with that being his first, he is gonna continue on with that style. But she is the one that preyed on him, manipulated him, took advantage of him. I think he knew it was wrong and felt guilty partly because he did know that and partly because he did in fact like it. He was probably thinking "what kind of twisted freak am I that I actually enjoy this when I know it isn't normal and that it's wrong" and he spent the rest of his sexual days "punishing" his partners because he really wanted to punish himself.

Crystal I think it was sick! Mrs. Robinson is obviously sick. It might have helped Christian, but obviously not to much since he was still sick and being a sadist. Mrs. Robinson should be in jail. That is not acceptable with the law or anybody's kids. I think she is sick and needs help! We all know Christian did and is getting it now!
: p

Laura Mrs. Robinson was crazy sick, no wonder her husband beat the Hell out of her when he found her with Christian...Leaving him with more BS to deal with as a Adult.Yet what was Christian's parents thinking... Just Crazy the whole issue!

Norma Smith The problem with Mrs. Robinson is no one ever told her No.!! As far as Mrs. Robinson and Chrisitan,that was a crime. Chrisitan was only 15 when that relationship started, and that is sick as hell. The only thing I want to know is didn't nobody read the signs. I didn't feel sorry for Mrs. Robinson when her husband caught them having sex. Instead of beating her ass, he should have called the police and had her locked up. Mrs. Robinson didn't help Chrisitan's well being. Thats why Ana is the best thing that come into Chrisitan's sad and broken life. That's what true love really can do for a man.!

message 41: by Mims (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mims Rey It was Ana's pregnancy and Mrs Robinson making a pass at him, that made him realise what he and Mrs Robinson did was wrong (scene at the hospital when Ana's hears convo Christian has with his mother). Screw you Mrs Robsinson.

Karen Hmm...It may have been consensual but Christian was a child and a troubled child at that. Mrs. Robinson was wrong on all levels, however, Ana is completely too insecure and her obsession with Mrs. Robinson was annoying. I understand that she didn't like the relationship but to me she focused too much on Mrs. Robinson and in retrospect, she became a version of Mrs. Robinson.
Christian was actually okay with the vanilla sex and Ana kept pushing him back into the life Mrs. Robinson introduced him to. As bad as Ana kept saying Mrs. Robinson was, she was not helping him get past it. It was like no matter how much he said he didn't need certain things anymore,she kept convincing herself that it couldn't be true.

Charlie ShilvaH wrote: "Mrs. R should get an endless spanking from Jack Hyde , they suit each other well.....SUCH A BI-O-TCH!!!"

Agree those two are made for each other. I am not against huge age gaps but I do believe that everyone should be over 20 or 18 at least. At 15 we like to think we know everything and our decisions based on that information during that time period usually comes back to haunt us as stupid or crazy and we would not do them again if we could go back in time.

Brenda Let's just reverse the roles. Now it's a 15 year old girl and much older man. Do you still think because he "Taught" her and she enjoyed it.......yeah, you'd be calling the cops before you found out the entire story. Let's not confuse the issue here folks. What she did was criminal. She may have saved Christian but, there were other ways to handle it without taking it to the playroom.

Henneline My thoughts exactly Brenda. If the roles where reversed it would have been a criminal offense! A child has a guardian (older person) for a reason - because he's not old enough to make rational dissensions. Instead of helping him make the right choices in life she misused the situation. Shame on you Mrs. Robinson!

Hannah I love everyone's passion here and agree with all of you but I feel like I need to remind everyone this didnt actually happen lol but yes she was a horrible person and deserved everything she got plus more

Brenda A fifteen year old boy "thinks" with one item when it comes to sex. And that usually starts about thirteen. Which is exactly why we have statutory rape statutes. And yes we realize this isn't real but, watch the news and everyday another Teacher is being accused of playing Teacher out of classroom scenarios. And God love them, what does a full grown woman see in an underage teenager?

Henneline Very true Hannah! I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say: I tend to lose myself completely in a book I read! Yes I forget about the real world for a moment and find myself mentally part of theirs.

Kirby I can also see both sides. I wouldn't consider Elena's relationship with Christian to be sick and twisted. I think it was definitely consensual, but Christian was young, so I don't know that he understood at the time what he was consenting to. It really doesn't seem like she abused or hurt him though. I also wouldn't say that Elena preyed on Christian. He didn't have to be there - she didn't force him. Although, I say again that Christian was young. I don't see Elena as a child-molester the way Ana does. However, I do think she has crossed the line more than once during Christian's relationship with Ana. Christian is an adult now and isn't sexually involved with Elena anymore, so if they're only friends and business partners, then "Mrs. Robinson" needs to back off. I'm not sure that I'd say it's completely normal that Elena and Christian had this relationship, but it seems like she at least cared/cares for Christian, so I don't think he was in any danger.

Great question about what led Christian to make his lifestyle choices. I'm not sure, to be honest, if he would have chosen his lifestyle without his experiences with Elena. I suppose it's possible because his childhood was horrific, and he is damaged because of his experiences in his early life. However, I have to say that people who really are involved in the BDSM lifestyle aren't necessarily damaged or scarred and weren't necessarily abused as children. That's a blatant misconception on the part of the author. Elena seems to think that even Christian's success in business and his wealth are due to her training and not his upbringing with his adoptive parents, which I don't believe is totally true. I think his adoptive parents have a lot to do with his career success. But maybe he would have chosen the same path regardless. Maybe his experiences with Elena just make him more skilled than he would be if he had stumbled into his lifestyle on his own without her guidance.

I do think there's a point during Christian's relationship with Ana when Elena should have realized that something was different. Leaning on Elena's friendship may have been helpful to Christian at first, but after the shift occurred - maybe when Ana left Christian? - Elena's interference began to hurt their relationship more than it was helpful. I do think Ana was being unreasonable about Christian not seeing Elena because Ana even wonders this herself when Christian is possessive of her around Jose. But I think Ana is only unreasonable up until the point when Elena verbally attacked Ana at the party where they announced their engagement. I was glad that Ana was able to hold her own against Elena because Elena really crossed the line to tell Ana that she wasn't right for Christian, etc. I thought, "Who is she to say that?" I haven't read the third novel yet - just started today - but after that scene in the second novel, I'm hoping that Elena stays away from the two of them. I'm not sure what Elena was thinking. I don't know that she was in love with Christian - I mean, she did have another submissive during this time - but maybe in her way she believed that she loved him. Or maybe you're right that she just wanted to pursue that old relationship with Christian. Perhaps she would trade positions and be submissive to him this time. Maybe she wanted to see what he had made of himself since the time of their relationship. Or maybe she wanted to test the strength of Christian's relationship with Ana to see if Ana was truly worthy. I honestly don't know, but Elena seems like a realistic woman, and I can't imagine - especially since they seem to be relatively far apart in age - that she'd believe Christian wanted to be with her.

When it comes to Grace's reaction, I'm not sure what to think. I think that Grace likes Christian with Ana. Grace - as well as Christian's whole family and Ana's family and friends - sees the difference in Christian since he's been with Ana and sees it as a positive change. I think she only wants to see Christian happy. As far as I know, Grace doesn't know the full extent of Christian's relationship with Elena - just that they had an affair and that Christian was young when it happened - but even that bit of information is slightly shocking to Grace as a mother. I think her reaction is more protective than anything, and she may have the same ideas Ana has regarding Elena as a predator. Elena is also supposedly a family friend, so perhaps Grace feels betrayed by someone closer to her age having a sexual relationship with her son.

I really don't like the way Christian handled the situation with Leila. I understand that Leila is troubled and that Christian pities her more than anything. But I can certainly understand Ana's feelings because if I was in her position, I would likely feel the same way. It's hurtful to think of the person you're in love with being in an intimate situation - not sexual but intimate - with a former sex partner. I can understand that Ana might feel left out, pushed aside, or ignored when Christian takes it upon himself to care for Leila in Ana's apartment - even clothing Leila in Ana's clothes - and then becoming angry later when Ana returns to Christian's apartment. I really don't think it's fair of Christian to have that reaction. Ana was in a delicate emotional state and needed Christian's support and reassurance instead of his wrath.

Brittney Not sure about the helping part but I think that is was consenting but I don't think that it's ok. I believe he could have found a different way to vent his anger problems. I don't think that if I were in Ana's shoes that i could handle him seeing her and I think that Mrs. Robinson thought that eventually she could get Christian back and have him to herself. I think she played a role making him dominate but I also think it was there deep down. Who knows if it would have ever come to the surface if he had not been involved with Elena. I'm pissed that he gave her a bath and put her in Ana's clothes. I personally think that's BS! And he already had control of Leila so why the hell did he kick Ana out of her own apartment. The gun was no longer in her hands. Danger over!!!!

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Fifty Shades Darker (other topics)