Webcomic Wonderland discussion

Important Stuff > Group Suggestions

Comments (showing 1-12)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 12: by Mike (last edited Apr 25, 2013 08:24AM) (new)

Mike | 1425 comments Mod
A FAQ and/or "group map" of some sort sounds great to me. I'll talk to Kristen about setting something up.

Any feedback on proper shelving is much appreciated. I try to keep up with them, but there are a lot of comics I haven't read and a lot of shelves which makes it hard to get perfect.

If you'd like to reshelve the books yourself (which is fine with us) you can hit "edit" at the end of the book's entry. It will bring up a menu that includes an option for choosing which shelves it appears on.

Otherwise you can let me know in the Catalog and bookshelf updates and suggestions thread and I'll update them.

Thanks!

message 11: by Eva (new)

Eva | 4 comments Maybe we could have a FAQ or other place where new members could ask questions? I noticed that a couple of the books are not shelved correctly in regards to their completion status. I want to find out how to fix it, but I don't know what topic to ask under.

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1425 comments Mod
There's a thread under "Important stuff" titled "Webcomics without books" for such links. It would be great if you could add any comics you know of without Goodreads pages there.

As our new resident shelving elf I will actually be creating and maintaining a somewhat more organized version of that thread in the (hopefully) near future to supplement our shelves and make it easy to access such comics. I'll also try to keep an eye on our shelves and if anything suddenly disappears I'll add it to the thread.

message 9: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (Marilenalena) | 2 comments Is it an option to add a thread, or even a discussion folder, where we can post links to webcomics that do not have published volumes and thus are shunned by goodreads?

There are a bunch on the bookshelves here that could be removed any time for the same reason. It'd be good to have a place where we can still find links to those.

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1425 comments Mod
Got it. Just looked weird with all the zeroes.

You're welcome. Will do more when I can.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Mike wrote: "When I go to bookshelves the side bar shows (0) for all the new shelves I created. Don't know why (or if it's just for me), but there are books there if you go to the shelves."
That's a glitch. If you look at the numbers on any of the shelves and then look in the shelves, you'll notice that they are all wrong, too. Don't worry about it. Goodreads will fix it eventually. At least I hope so. It's been like that since I started the group.

Also, thank you for making the bookshelves. I'll probably add more.

message 6: by Mike (last edited Sep 11, 2012 05:18AM) (new)

Mike | 1425 comments Mod
I started us out with a few and shelved some of the comics I'm familiar with.

I was thinking the categories could get a little unweildy as they increase, so I added the prefix "genre" to group these together and make the more general classifications we already have stand out.

I'll try and do more later.

Note: When I go to bookshelves the side bar shows (0) for all the new shelves I created. Don't know why (or if it's just for me), but there are books there if you go to the shelves.

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Marleen wrote: "How about more topic specific bookshelves? For instance 'scifi', 'kid protagonists', 'super heroes', 'yound adult', 'pirates' etc. etc.

It would make it easier to browse for comics you might like."

This is something I have been considering doing right from the start. The trouble is deciding what subcategories to use and then, of course, shelving everything. That's why I started the Bookshelves discussion: I was kinda hoping that everyone would give me ideas.

message 4: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (Marilenalena) | 2 comments How about more topic specific bookshelves? For instance 'scifi', 'kid protagonists', 'super heroes', 'yound adult', 'pirates' etc. etc.

It would make it easier to browse for comics you might like.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Thanks! I'm doing what I can to keep the group active and interesting. But I'm not just looking for problems that need to be solved here. If you think that there should be a folder for something or if you've got ideas for the future book club I'd like to know!

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) We're just getting off the ground and I think everything is going well so far.

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Got any ideas to improve the group? Post them here! Any and all feedback is welcome. I want this to be the best group ever!

unread topics | mark unread