Bound Together discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - 2012 > Here's what to do.....

Comments (showing 1-50 of 103) (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2441 comments Mod
1. Member's Choice for August is Emily!
We will vote on Emily's books through a poll, so she will list the 3 books here that she wants us to vote on, then I will create the poll.

2. Off The Shelf - B
This is our newest monthly feature that gives you the opportunity to get a book off your ever-growing TBR shelf.
For August, read any book on your TBR list that has a bird, bug, or butterfly on the cover.
On August 1st, I will post the thread for our Off the Shelf discussion, so we can see what others are reading and discuss.

3. Author Read - Barbara Kingsolver
Read any book of your choice by this author and discuss it in the thread beginning August 1st.

☯Emily needs to protest again I'm so excited about getting a chance to present my book choices!
Revolutionary Road Revolutionary Road by R. Yates,

Mrs. Mike by Benedict FreedmanMrs. Mike and The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko OgawaThe Housekeeper and the Professor

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) Those are great choices, Emily! Mrs. Mike is one of my all-time favorites.

I saw The Housekeeper and the Professor on your bookshelf awhile ago and added it to my TBR list. That's probably the one I'll vote for.

message 4: by Alena (new)

Alena (AlenaM) | 1357 comments You are a tricky one Deb. B is going to be an interesting challenge for me, but for anyone who hasn't read Still Alice by Lisa Genova yet, I recommend.

message 5: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 7619 comments Tricky for me too! I'm looking at all these lovely beach and seascape covers, and wouldn't you think there would be a bird in at least one of these skies? Gotta keep looking....

Right, Alena, Still Alice is a wonderful recommendation.

message 6: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 7619 comments Does anyone know if The Housekeeper and the Professor takes place in Japan or if the characters are Japanese; i.e. what is the Oriental connection vis-a-vis the cover? Beautiful cover, by the way.

message 7: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 130 comments Alena wrote: "You are a tricky one Deb. B is going to be an interesting challenge for me, but for anyone who hasn't read Still Alice by Lisa Genova yet, I recommend."

Still Alice by Lisa Genova is the first book I thought of! And, I didn't have to look far, it's right on top of my TBR pile next to my reading chair!

message 8: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 7619 comments Emily wrote: "I'm so excited about getting a chance to present my book choices!
Revolutionary RoadRevolutionary Road by Richard Yates,

Mrs. Mike by Benedict FreedmanMrs. Mike and [bookcover:The Housekeeper and the Professor..."

Congrats Emily! Can't wait to vote!

☯Emily needs to protest again Karen, The Housekeeper and the Professor is written by a Japanese writer about Japanese characters who live in Japan. It has been translated into English. It is a wonderful story and is a short book which allows time to read the other books. My Barbara Kingsolver book is very long! However, it might be difficult to find a copy of The Housekeeper.

message 10: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

♥ Sandi (TakingTime) | 10860 comments Mod
Emily - exciting, huh!?! Looks like good choices!

Deb - wow! I have decided that I am going straight for the piles of books that I have already weeded out and really really really want to read. I am hoping to find one of your "b"'s on the cover! If not, I sure have a lot of book pulling to do to see the front covers and find my book for August.

Holy Crap!!! I still have two books left for July to read - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, which I plan to start tomorrow and then my "A" book, A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. I feel like I am running behind! But I understand that Gone Girl you can't put down and Stolen Life is not a very long book, so I think I will make it okay - now that I am finally done with Wild. Talk about that one later!

message 11: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 130 comments Emily wrote: "I'm so excited about getting a chance to present my book choices!
Revolutionary RoadRevolutionary Road by Richard Yates,

Mrs. Mike by Benedict FreedmanMrs. Mike and [bookcover:The Housekeeper and the Professor..."

I'm really enamored with The Housekeeper and the Professor. Thanks for putting it up!

message 12: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

I remember watching Revolutionary Road as a movie a few years ago. I know it had Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, and Kathy Bates in it. It was a good movie. Have never read the book tho.

☯Emily needs to protest again Sandi wrote: "I remember watching Revolutionary Road as a movie a few years ago. I know it had Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, and Kathy Bates in it. It was a good movie. Have never read the book tho."

My library book club is reading it. It wasn't my choice. We have a dictatorial organizer who is getting "up there in years." She said it was an accurate depiction of a modern marriage. I said, "It was published in 1961! That's more than 50 years old. A lot has changed since then!"

message 14: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

I remember the movie being from that era also, but that is the era that I grew up in so it was very interesting to me - I could not only compare it to my marriage, the typical marriage in the 21st century, but also reminisce about my parents marriage and my life as it was lived then. I remember it as being a really good movie - so the book should be good. But you are right - it is a portrait of the 50's.

message 15: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Ok, found them - found my "B' books! I found 3, so I don't have to go pulling and looking at the fronts of books in all my shelves - thankfully!!!! I know that two of the books have been read by a number of members here. Give me some advice ( not that I may listen, you understand...LOL !) but let me know which of these two that you enjoyed more.

Either A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick A Reliable Wife with its little red bird or

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett State of Wonder with its dragonfly and other little buggies on the cover.

the third book is pretty unusual - strange format even. But is by a Nobel Prize winner J.M. Coetzee. It is Diary of a Bad Year by J.M. Coetzee Diary of a Bad Year. Small book, but has be at least third in order - maybe further back if I find more applicable books...LOL !!! I think I know which one I will read - ( maybe both??) but the one for sure. Let me know guys - I know a number of you have read both books.

message 16: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 2973 comments Congratulations on Member's Choice, Emily! I'm going with the one that's been on my TBR. Maybe I will get two books off the shelf this month! haha

For my Off the Shelf choice, I made a rule for myself that my pick has to come from my home book shelf. I found The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd and Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah, and realized I have several books that have a beach scene on the front. I will probably go with The Mermaid Chair.

☯Emily needs to protest again State of Wonder is easy to read, mostly enjoyable, if you can suspend belief.

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) For my "B" read I'm going to go with an obvious choice from by TBR shelf, Wicked Bugs The Louse That Conquered Napoleon's Army & Other Diabolical Insects by Amy Stewart Wicked Bugs: The Louse That Conquered Napoleon's Army & Other Diabolical Insects.

message 19: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

❀Sandra wrote: "Congratulations on Member's Choice, Emily! I'm going with the one that's been on my TBR. Maybe I will get two books off the shelf this month! haha

For my Off the Shelf choice, I made a rule for ..."

Excellent choice Sandra - I loved that book!

message 20: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Emily wrote: "State of Wonder is easy to read, mostly enjoyable, if you can suspend belief."

Poo! I try to suspend belief everyday in my real life Emily - so that should be easy!!! LOL !

message 21: by ☮Karen (last edited Jul 14, 2012 05:35PM) (new)

☮Karen | 7619 comments Sandi wrote: "Ok, found them - found my "B' books! I found 3, so I don't have to go pulling and looking at the fronts of books in all my shelves - thankfully!!!! I know that two of the books have been read by a ..."

Sandi, I'm going to start A Reliable Wife any day now for my second "A" read. Sandra and I will let you know all about it. Didn't even notice the bird!

I was able to find 3 books on my shelf for "B":

Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg by Elizabeth Berg

Dreaming Water by Gail Tsukiyama -- I can't find on goodreads the cover on my book but I SWEAR it's got little bird heads all over it. Deb, I'm not making this up. LOL

Here on Earth  by Alice Hoffman

message 22: by Maureen (new)

Maureen I am going to read The Still Point A Novel by Amy Sackville by Amy Sackville for my "B" book. Am going to pass on Barbara Kingsolver. Really liked The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, hated The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver so not really up to read another.

message 23: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (last edited Jul 14, 2012 05:42PM) (new)

Karen, snag ConnieB and give her all your info - she may be able to get your edition of Dancing Water in the system. I can tell you that I recently read Home Safe and did enjoy it. I also have Here on Earth, but still unread, so no help there..LOL !!

Yeah, Karen you can kill two birds(no pun intended) with one stone...LOL !! Read Reliable Wife really late and it will double for your "A" and your "B" read...LOL !!!

message 24: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 7619 comments Sandi wrote: "Karen, snag ConnieB and give her all your info - she may be able to get your edition of Dancing Water in the system. I can tell you that I recently read Home Safe and did enjoy it. I also have He..."

I was thinking the same thing! LOL
And get this, I clicked on Home Safe and discovered I already read it -- had it on the wrong shelf here at home. So that leaves only two choices. Still good.

message 25: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (last edited Jul 14, 2012 05:47PM) (new)

Kingsolver is a strange author I find. She is not one of my favorites - altho she has had some good stuff out there. If I end up reading anything by her next month it will be one of her short story/essay books, so that I can pick and choose, if I need to. Probably Homeland and Other Stories Homeland and Other Stories by Barbara Kingsolver. I may also pass her up to be sure to read both my "B" book choices and to get Theodore Boone The Accused by John Grisham in there also.

message 26: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2441 comments Mod
The B book may finally force me to read Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins, not that I need persuading, I really do want to read it and finish the trilogy. But I also have been wanting to read The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. Maybe I can get to both? And that will be 2 more books taken off my list!

message 27: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2441 comments Mod
Emily's member's choice poll is now open! Vote before Thursday nite! Thanks for being so quick with listing your choices Emily!

I don't think I'll have internet access while I'm away this week so I'm keeping this open a little longer than usual. I will be able to send a voting reminder if needed once I return later in the week.

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather Fineisen | 217 comments Okay--The Keeper of Lost Causes The Keeper of Lost Causes (Department Q, #1) by Jussi Adler-Olsen for my B book and The Poisonwood Bible The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver for my Kingsolver book. Fun way to pick books from our lists--compliments to the chef....

message 29: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

I wish I had Mockingjay- I would definately read it. Still on my TBR list and not in-house yet. Maybe by the time we get to the "M"'s - ????

message 30: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Deb wrote: "Emily's member's choice poll is now open! Vote before Thursday nite! Thanks for being so quick with listing your choices Emily!

I don't think I'll have internet access while I'm away this week so ..."

Enjoy, Deb...

message 31: by Kim (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) I think I'll pass on Barbara Kingsolver too. I still have A Game of Thrones to tackle after I finish Anna Karenina. Those will probably carry me into August.

message 32: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Kim wrote: "I think I'll pass on Barbara Kingsolver too. I still have A Game of Thrones to tackle after I finish Anna Karenina. Those will probably carry me into August."

You and Britney did take on some whopping big books this month!!

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather Fineisen | 217 comments Connieb wrote: "Alena wrote: "You are a tricky one Deb. B is going to be an interesting challenge for me, but for anyone who hasn't read Still Alice by Lisa Genova yet, I recommend."

Still Alice by Lisa Genova is the f..."

I also really enjoyed Still Alice--good pick!

message 34: by Wendi (new)

Wendi (Kayman75) | 6 comments You all pick good books! 'Still Alice' is one of my all time favourites, and Revolutionary Road was wonderful. I absolutely cherish that book! Mrs. Mike and 'The Housekeeper and the Professor' sound good too. Yay! Can't wait to see the pick :)

message 35: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Wendi wrote: "You all pick good books! 'Still Alice' is one of my all time favourites, and Revolutionary Road was wonderful. I absolutely cherish that book! Mrs. Mike and 'The Housekeeper and the Professor' s..."

Make sure you go to the poll and vote Wendi - if you haven't already.

message 36: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (elatal) Thanks Emily, all three books you picked look interesting. I have always wanted to read Revolutionary Road and the other choices I had not heard of but they look great.

As far as a "B" book I will be able to start a new series for me Birdman by Mo Hayder. Also for Barbara Kingsolver I thought I'd readAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle. Looking forward to August, but I still have A Game of Thrones to read.

message 37: by Connie (Ava Catherine) (last edited Jul 14, 2012 08:07PM) (new)

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 112 comments I was going to read A Walk Across the Sun A Walk Across the Sun by Corban AddisonCorban Addisonbecause my kindle edition has several little birds on the cover; however, it is not one of the covers listed on Goodreads. Will I still be able to read it?

If not, I' ll read The Diving Bell and the Butterfly The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique BaubyJean-Dominique Bauby

message 38: by Britany (new)

Britany | 3858 comments Sandi wrote:

You and Britney did take ..."

Tell me about it... Almost finished with AK then I still have Game of thrones and Defending Jacob in line... hmmm... I want to read Poisonwood Bible and I'm not sure yet what my B read will be... (assuming I can get to it ;)

message 39: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 130 comments Connie wrote: "I was going to read A Walk Across the SunA Walk Across the Sun by Corban AddisonCorban Addisonbecause my kindle edition has several little birds on the cover; however, it is not one of the covers listed ..."
Is this the edition you're looking for? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 40: by Megan (new)

Megan | 102 comments Gosh August is coming too quickly!!! I think I will also read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver and I'll have to figure out something for B

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 112 comments Connieb wrote: "Connie wrote: "I was going to read A Walk Across the SunA Walk Across the Sun by Corban AddisonCorban Addisonbecause my kindle edition has several little birds on the cover; however, it is not one of the..."

Yes, that is it! You are the best!! Thank you so much!Now, I can read my first choice.
A Walk Across the Sun A Walk Across the Sun by Corban AddisonCorban Addison

message 42: by ♥ Sandi, Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Connieb wrote: "Connie wrote: "I was going to read A Walk Across the SunA Walk Across the Sun by Corban AddisonCorban Addisonbecause my kindle edition has several little birds on the cover; however, it is not one of the..."

Connie, isn't Connieb just an angel? Now if Karen can get her to find the right "Dreaming Water" edition...(smiling Connieb)!

Connie (Ava Catherine) | 112 comments I LOVE Connieb! She deserves a gold star!

XOXO to you Connieb! : )

message 44: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 2095 comments I have Mockingjay and would do that for August, but I'm pretty sure it's due back at the library before that so I'll have to choose something else. I still have Gone Girl AND Game of Thrones to read (only one of which I was finally able to get from the library this past week). I've got some First Reads to go through and I'm sure at least one of them probably has a bird or bug on it. I think another group I'm in is reading The Poisonwood Bible, so I will probably do that one. Can't wait to do some investigating on Emily's choices, I haven't heard of them. New stuff is fun!

message 45: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 7619 comments Sandi wrote: "Connieb wrote: "Connie wrote: "I was going to read A Walk Across the SunA Walk Across the Sun by Corban AddisonCorban Addisonbecause my kindle edition has several little birds on the cover; however, it i..."

OK, Connieb, work your magic. I'll post the ISBN #, but it's already on goodreads with a different cover, so it is very deceiving.
0-312-31608-9 comes up looking like
Dreaming Water A Novel by Gail Tsukiyama when in fact if has a flower border around the bottom and left side, interspersed with little blue bird heads.

message 46: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen | 7619 comments Wow, look at Emily's poll. I've never seen this many people vote so early on, and it's a 3-way tie!! It seems you have intrigued us, Emily.

message 47: by Connie (new)

Connie (cjcreads) | 1465 comments About to search for my "B" book, and check out Kingsolver as I have never read her, and not sure I will this time.
Emily, your choices all look great! Mrs Mike makes me nostalgic for High School...one of my favorites back then!

☯Emily needs to protest again I loved Mrs. Mike in high school and haven't read it since. I picked it up recently at a book sale. It is one of the few books that my mother read first and then persuaded me to read. I guess I was about 13 when I first read it and I know I read it several more times in high school.

message 49: by Wendi (new)

Wendi (Kayman75) | 6 comments Sandi wrote: Make sure you go to the poll and vote Wendi - if you haven't already.

I did :) Thanks!

message 50: by Kim (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) Sandi wrote: "You and Britney did take on some whopping big books this month!!"

Isn't that the truth! I'm really glad I decided to read AK though. Now that I'm familiar with Tolstoy, I'm less intimidated by the idea of reading War and Peace :)

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Revolutionary Road (other topics)
Revolutionary Road (other topics)
Mrs. Mike (other topics)
The Housekeeper and the Professor (other topics)
Still Alice (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Amy Sackville (other topics)
Corban Addison (other topics)
Jean-Dominique Bauby (other topics)