Gotham Book Club discussion

Franny and Zooey
This topic is about Franny and Zooey
Favorite Book Set in NYC

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lillian Slugocki (goodreadscomlillian_slugocki) | 2 comments Nominate your favorite books set in New York City, I've started the ball rolling with J.D. Salinger.

Woody Lewis (woodylewis) | 2 comments Mod
Underworld by Don DeLillo
For me, it's DeLillo's Underworld. Set mostly in NYC, past and present, it offers multiple lives and lifestyles. I've read it twice and used it as the main source for my Bennington MFA graduate lecture on DeLillo and symbolism.

Lillian Slugocki (goodreadscomlillian_slugocki) | 2 comments hi Woody, I'll have to check it out, never read anything by DeLillo, what about Claire Messud's The Emperor's New Clothes? That takes place in the months leading up to 9/11. That's another big fav of mine.

Woody Lewis (woodylewis) | 2 comments Mod
Hi Lillian, haven't read the Messud yet, though the reviews were good. DeLillo is my favorite author, one of the most important American writers of the late 20th/early 21st century. Mao II is a good place to start, a short book about a reclusive writer. Underworld is over 800 pages, definitely not the first DeLillo to tackle...:)

message 5: by Feliks (last edited May 23, 2013 09:22PM) (new)

Feliks (Dzerzhinsky) | 2 comments There's plenty of choices.

First which occur to me would be these:

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three by John Godey
In every way except the actual heist, this novel still holds up as far as the everyday 'feel' of the city with its existential level of hassle and inconvenience.

Marathon Man by William Goldman
The stylish, classic thriller, pure escapism of course but so filled with so many memorable scenes from Columbia campus to East Harlem to the Diamond district--huge emotional investment in the Babe character.

Blue Belle (Burke, #3) by Andrew Vachss
Brutal! The raw and violent underbelly of this town! No frills; a novel which shows the true dog-eat-dog quality of NYC.

Feliks (Dzerzhinsky) | 2 comments By the way, how about an avatar for this group?
Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

Lenny Wick (lenny_wick) | 1 comments I have a soft spot for Joseph Mitchell's Up In The Old Hotel, or any of his gathered writing for the New Yorker. Almost, but not always, favorite books about New York are about vanished eras, and while his tales of the down and about feel invested in times that have disappeared - which is certainly a charm - there is always a truth about what living in this city is all about, especially the wondrous side of things.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Underworld (other topics)
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (other topics)
Marathon Man (other topics)
Blue Belle (other topics)
Winter's Tale (other topics)