Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Free books

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian George (GeorgeIan) | 7 comments Im a new author and I have 5 short stories on Amazon, my problem is, when I use the free promotions I get lots and lots of downloads but no ratings and no critique! In short, there seems to be no point in giving away my work! Does anyone have any views or guidance to give? I have had reviews from paying customers, so it makes me wonder if there is something preventing ratings or reviews for people who benefit fro the promotional downloads.

message 2: by Ciska (new)

Ciska (Ciska_vander_Lans) | 4 comments I am not sure if this is the right place to discuss.
But I know a lot of people just grab the free books. They feel no rush to read it, it is just to have it.
A paying customer is interested in the book and will read it.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian George (GeorgeIan) | 7 comments Ciska wrote: "I am not sure if this is the right place to discuss.
But I know a lot of people just grab the free books. They feel no rush to read it, it is just to have it.
A paying customer is interested in the..."

Hi, you make a good point. It might explain it. Damned annoying! Anyway, thats human nature I guess.

Why isn't this the right place to discuss it? The problem is I couldn't find a general place that was well enough populated to raise the issue, so I thought Librarians would be switched on knowledgeable folk.

The genre specific threads are all very well, but they are also restricting!

Thanks for your comment anyway, I think its a valid one and I think I will stop giving my work away except to selected readers for their specific critique.

message 4: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5203 comments Ciska is correct about people collecting ebooks (I speak as a prime offender). If your freebie was not restricted to Kindle I would have had a copy myself.

This is probably the wrong place to discuss it because the Librarians Group is more to do with the mechanicals of keeping GR humming along.

I would have thought that there would be several author-based groups which would discuss this sort of question on a regular basis.

message 5: by Ian (last edited Jul 13, 2012 03:57AM) (new)

Ian George (GeorgeIan) | 7 comments Banjomike wrote: "Ciska is correct about people collecting ebooks (I speak as a prime offender). If your freebie was not restricted to Kindle I would have had a copy myself.

This is probably the wrong place to d..."

Thanks Banjomike, well, I guess I'll add you as a friend and let you know when my books are free! Feeding the addiction and doing myself out of much needed pennies, but what the heck! Maybe you will repay me with a critique or two!

As tot he place, I guess I'm new and just don't know my way around - so thanks to both for the gentle guidance.

message 6: by Amara (last edited Jul 13, 2012 07:19AM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) You'll find a lot more help and discussion on this subject in the Author Feedback group, which is the "official" place for author questions, comments, and such. (We're about correcting erroneous book records and related issues over here.) :)

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 22864 comments Mod
This is definitely the wrong place. Please see Amara's post for a link to the right one.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread