Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Adding the same book (but in a different language)

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 22 comments Hello!
I was trying to add a new copy of Wuthering Heights in Italian I have purchased, I keyed in its ISBN 9788844035648 and - great ! - I found out that the book was already catalogued.
Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to add my Italian copy. Why? Maybe because I already have an English language copy on my shelves (ISBN 0140430016)?
Thanks for you help.
Andrea

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5023 comments Do you mean you could not add a new book (Italian edition) because the ISBN is already in use or you could not add a second edition of the book to your bookshelf to indicate you have read 2 versions of the book?

message 3: by Cloudedleopard (new)

Cloudedleopard | 139 comments The ISBN you indicated is already in use for the Italian edition of Wuthering Heights http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...
When the Italian edition is merged with the English one you can - unfortunately - add only one of these two.

message 4: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3547 comments You can add more than one edition of a book. If you go to the page in question and look for the "review this edition" link, you can add it to your books. It looks something like:

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 23785 comments Mod
Cloudedleopard wrote: "When the Italian edition is merged with the English one you can - unfortunately - add only one of these two."

You mean combined, not merged; they are individual editions. And as lafon illustrated, you certainly CAN review multiple editions of a work.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 22 comments rivka wrote: "Cloudedleopard wrote: "When the Italian edition is merged with the English one you can - unfortunately - add only one of these two."

You mean combined, not merged; they are individual editions. An..."

Hello! Thank you all.
Cloudedleopard got the point, I can't add the edition in Italian version because it seems to be combined. I can definitely write a review or switch to different editions, but that is not what I want. Any suggestions?
Do you think I should separate the Italian ISBN from the English one?

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 22 comments Paula wrote: "Do you mean you could not add a new book (Italian edition) because the ISBN is already in use or you could not add a second edition of the book to your bookshelf to indicate you have read 2 version..."

I have got two books, one is in English (ISBN 0140430016) and one is in Italian (ISBN 9788844035648). On my shelves I had added the English one and read it. Now I'd like to add the one in Italian, but I can't as it seems to be combined with the one in English ... :(

message 8: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2764 comments When you select "review this edition", it adds it to your shelves. You don't have to add an actual review.

message 9: by Hazard (last edited Jul 10, 2012 11:03AM) (new)

Hazard | 87 comments rivka and lafon are right though. Andrea, just as lafon said you can go to the page of the edition you can not add "normally". On the picture lafon posted you can see the button "review this edition". Click on it and then you can select to add it to your read shelf, for example (or any other shelf you like). It will then show up next to the other edition in your shelf. I did not know this until I stumbled over this thread and it annoyed me too but I just now tried it and it works.
A big thank you to lafon and rivka for that!

Edit: And Andrea, please do not separate the Italian edition.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 22 comments Hazard wrote: "rivka and lafon are right though. Andrea, just as lafon said you can go to the page of the edition you can no add "normaly". On the picture lafon posted you can see the button "review this edition"..."

Ok, I won't. Thanks.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 22 comments vicki_girl wrote: "When you select "review this edition", it adds it to your shelves. You don't have to add an actual review."

Thanks.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 22 comments It worked! Thank you all!

unread topics | mark unread