Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Random Topics/Off-Topic > Favorite beta heroes or sweet/teddy bear heroes?

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Jul 05, 2012 09:12PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 9330 comments Mod
I know this is a dangerous hero group, but I gotta give love to the beta heroes out there. They will mend your broken heart, fix you breakfest, hug your children, and nurture you.

Who are your favorite beta heroes? What do you look for in a beta hero?

Here is the AAR list on Beta Heroes, and what they have to say about them:

These romances have kinder, gentler heroes, the kind of men who will change your flat tire, open doors for you, help your kid with his homework, and bring you soup when you are sick. They are the anti-thesis of the testosterone-filled chest beaters found in the earlier bodice-ripper romances. These are the guys we all want to find in real life.

http://likesbooks.com/spechero.html

message 2: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4046 comments Mod
I think dangerous bad boys were beta hero shoes as well. Funny, you should mention flat tire, because the scene that came to me the other night about Cop and Sanjar was a scene, where he's going to be changing a flat tire on Sanjar's car.

I guess my baby David Malkoff fits the beta hero shoes. He's my sexy nerd. He was no coward, even though he knew a seal can beat him. He would stand up to them and fight them if he had to. I love the way he spoke his mind. He was brain smart. He wasn't an ex-CIA agent for anything. Nash would try to bully him, but he showed Nash that he wasn't scared of him.

Beta heroes are fun. They know how to protect.

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1689 comments Mod
Carter McKoy. Sigh!

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Jul 06, 2012 09:51AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 9330 comments Mod
I still haven't read any of the books with Dave. I haven't felt the urge to read any more of the Troubleshooters books. But Dave certainly sounds awesome.

I definitely feel that betas have a special place in my heart, and a crucial place in the romance genre. Some heroines need a sweet, loving hero, especially when their spirits have been crushed by life.

I definitely agree that beta heroes can be just as tough as an alpha hero, they just come from a place of love and nurturing and that is their first urge (IMO). Some are more cerebral and will solve problems with logic before resorting to physical measures. I like that in a hero.

Carter is my darling, Pamela!

Some of my favorite betas:

Carter as mentioned above from The Texan's Wager
Francis from Forbidden by Jo Beverley
Samuel from The Shadow and the Star (although very much a warrior)
Jesse from The Wedding Journey by Carla Kelly
Noah from His Secondhand Bride by Cheryl St. John
Scott from Fate by Pamela Leigh Starr
Caleb from The Doctor's Wife by Cheryl St. John (she writes beta heroes the best out of any author)
Dillon from The Horseman by Jillian Hart
Mick from The Proposition by Judith Ivory
Nathan from Entwined by Emma Jensen
Adrian from Only in My Dreams by Eve Byron
Jonathan from The Arrangement by Lyn Stone
Blue from In the Midnight Rain by Ruth Wind
Larence from The Enchantment by Kristin Hannah
Will from River of Eden by Glenna McReynolds

message 5: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (Megadee) | 1084 comments Mod
Carter is my all-time favorite beta hero!

Rachel the Book Harlot | 217 comments My favorite beta heroes so far are:

1. Will Parker from Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer. I fell in love with him from page 1!

2. This might sound weird but I consider Mitch Lawson from Law Man (Dream Man, #3) by Kristen Ashley a beta hero.

message 7: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (Megadee) | 1084 comments Mod
Ooh, I love Will Parker too, Rachel! Many of Lavyrle Spencer's heroes would fall into this category.

message 8: by Fashionista (new)

Fashionista  (Fashionista99) | 182 comments 1. Lucas from Crash by Pepper Pace was oh so sweet and achingly sexy! All he wanted to do was love and take care of Sophie. Thanks Pepper Pace.

2. Troy from Juicy by Pepper Pace was a great tortured angst ridden beta for Juicy. He was flawed but oh so beautiful because of it. When he carried Juicy to the hospital; I cried my eyes out at the sweetness of the moment.

3. Jim from A Hearing Heart by Bonnie Dee is deaf/mute. He would give anything for Catherine to see him as a "real" man. His courage and strength was sexy! Bonnie Dee writes wonderfully.

4. Leo from Nerds Are Freaks Too by Koko Brown by Koko Brwon.
Leo is a sexy nerd with a body and face to die for. He dresses unassumingly and wears the cutest glass. I'm so glad when Roxanne realizes that her best friend is just what she needs! By the way, this book cover is "spot-on"!

Thanks for all the recommendations!

message 10: by Nomad (new)

Nomad Are any of these PNR? I find that this sort of hero is VERY hard to come by in PNR.

I'll have to think about it, Nomad. Can't think of a lot of good PNR betas just off the top of my head.

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill | 294 comments Would you classify kisten from the Hollows series as a beta hero?? He is to me, definitely not an alpha:-)

I've only read the first three books, so I can only go by that. He's probably a mix in my opinion. He doesn't scream alpha, but I don't know if I can call him a beta just on what I've read so far.

message 15: by Nomad (new)

Nomad Now, while I'm FIRMLY in the Ivy boat for Rachel, I did enjoy Kisten as well. Though I have to agree with Danielle that he's a bit of a mix of both types.

He had been a bad boy and quite dangerous, but at the same time he just wasn't very alpha-y. Strong, but not a take charge kind of guy. But still more bad boy and dangerous than most beta type heros tend to be.

You know what's odd, we get the term alpha and beta from real wolfpacks, and beta in that context does not mean soft and cuddly. The only two wolves more dominant than the beta male and female in a pack are the alpha male and female.

But yet... the beta pair is like this set of built in cub minders for the pack. Thank you animal planet channel.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Morning Glory (other topics)
Law Man (other topics)
Crash (other topics)
Juicy (other topics)
A Hearing Heart (other topics)
More...