Paranormal and Horror Lovers discussion

general book talk > What's the most ignored warning in horror and scifi stories / movies

Comments (showing 1-50 of 97) (97 new)    post a comment »

George L. Cook III (glc3) | 19 comments What's the most ignored warning in horror and scifi stories / movies

When it comes to many horror and science fiction movies and or stories there's always that moment when someone no matter how intelligent does something incredibly stupid. They do something that normally unleashes death and mayhem when if they had only listened to someone's warning everyone would have went home safely that night. But of course then there would be no story or movie. What do you think is the most ignored horror / sci fi movie / story warning? Check out some choices here: http://www.thedeadwarseries.com/2012/...

Laura Thomas (laurathomas) | 171 comments Don't go back in!

Jill James (Jill_James) | 19 comments Don't touch that! or Turn it on or off or anything. LOL

George L. Cook III (glc3) | 19 comments Yes Jill that's my pick. Don't touch anything.....LOL

Jill wrote: "Don't touch that! or Turn it on or off or anything. LOL"

George L. Cook III (glc3) | 19 comments If you do you deserve what you get.

Laura wrote: "Don't go back in!"

Barry James (mondragoran) | 11 comments We have to stay together!

*Rachael* (jimbunni) Don't run upstairs go out the front door and get help!

Carrie | 96 comments If it's dark, turn on a light. DO NOT just feel around or decide it's best to just walk in when you cannot see. Darkness = bad. It's a good way to be eaten!

Craig Hallam "Don't go out there!"

Heard that so many times in movies :D

Mirvan  Ereon (mirvanereon) | 2 comments Don't look!

Craig Hallam So we basically agree that inaction is the best form of defence in a horror movie situation? :D

Noted for future reference...

Jaye Frances | 39 comments Don't go in the attic

That door is always locked

Don't go to sleep

Don't tell anyone!

Jaye Frances

Hellebore | 1 comments I have to go with don't touch anything.. but coming in a close second.. I would refrain from saying "I'll be right back".. (as they said in Scream)

Kimmy Siddiqui | 4 comments Stay together!

Michelle Knox (YABookStar) | 19 comments I'll have to throw in my two cents and say...."we'll check up stairs, you two check the kitchen, and then we'll all meet right back here in five minutes". Anytime they split up.....someone's not coming back....at least not in one piece in most movies!

message 16: by Muse, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Muse (musesinspire) | 192 comments Mod
If it's an old house, the attic covered in dust and cobwebs and that door is sealed with a rusted padlock, you can bet your sweet ass it's like that for a REASON!

DO. NOT. OPEN. IT!!!

See?? I'd totally survive the horror movie:

1. I always look up

2. I don't go investigate the noise in the basement with a candle

3. I don't answer the door after the phone's been cut

4. I will leave the house when it says to 'Get Out'

5. I know that if it's 10 degrees outside and there are flies/maggots/snakes/other nasty things... then it's time to get the hell outta Dodge!

6. I am not going to ask "Who's there?!" when I hear the noise in the kitchen. It's not like the freakin' serial killer clown is going to tell me he's in there making a sandwich!

7. No, I am NOT playing with your Ouija board, runes, creepy old book you found in an abandoned shed or anything else!

...and last but not least:

8. Dude, if I have to run, you're getting tripped. 'Nuff said.

LOL!!!

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 158 comments Muse wrote: "If it's an old house, the attic covered in dust and cobwebs and that door is sealed with a rusted padlock, you can bet your sweet ass it's like that for a REASON!"

LOL!! Exactly!

My favorite is when the lights go out or their flashlight dies, and instead of leaving, they continue to explore. *eye roll* Yes. That makes perfect sense to me. Grope around a little, too! That'll help! :P

message 18: by Muse, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Grope around a little, too! That'll help!..."

I know, right?! I mean... yeah. The psychotic mass murderer that just escaped from Happy Hills Sanitarium isn't going to be standing there in his age-retracted mind set of a teddy bear costume waiting for you to feel him and think, "Hmmm... why is there a man-sized teddy bear here next to the light switch?"

WTF?! Am I the only one who just wants to reach through and smack the shit outta these actors?! LOL

Carrie | 96 comments Muse wrote: "4. I will leave the house when it says to 'Get Out'"

LOL! I'm adding that one to my life's rule book! No arguing with the house...

message 20: by Rebecca, Group Creator (new)

Rebecca Nolan (RNolanAuthor) | 421 comments Mod
Muse wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Grope around a little, too! That'll help!..."

I know, right?! I mean... yeah. The psychotic mass murderer that just escaped from Happy Hills Sanitarium isn't going to be standin..."

Omg yes I also want to reach in and smack them. My biggest pet hate is they are in a suburb with heaps of neigbours etc but instead of running out the front door they run up the stairs...Ugh! I mean really haha.

What freaks me out are doggie doors, the kind for large dogs. The horror story where the dog is killed and the killer puts on the collar so he can kill just...well...lets just say I'll never get a doggie door haha.

message 21: by Lisa, R2R Admin & Group Creator (new)

Lisa Goldman | 409 comments Mod
ugh...I've just read about the creepy abandoned mental hospital and then saw two different tv shows where people had to enter the mental hospitals. Hello big warning...if the place is boarded up you should not be entering.

message 22: by Rebecca, Group Creator (new)

Lisa wrote: "ugh...I've just read about the creepy abandoned mental hospital and then saw two different tv shows where people had to enter the mental hospitals. Hello big warning...if the place is boarded up yo..."

I know! I watch ghost hunters and I could never ever go into one of those no matter how abandoned they seem. lol

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 158 comments Rebecca wrote: "Lisa wrote: "ugh...I've just read about the creepy abandoned mental hospital and then saw two different tv shows where people had to enter the mental hospitals. Hello big warning...if the place is ..."

Ghosts aside, I would be horrified of falling through the floors or wildlife or stepping on a rusty nail or something in those places; some of them just don't look safe at all!

Tony-Paul Vissage (TPdeV) 1. If it's been abandoned, don't go in.
2. If you're a teenager, don't go in.
3. If you do go in, don't split up.
4. If you split up, don't stop to make out.
5. Don't take any misfits or people you've treated badly in with you because he's liable to be THE KILLER or a relative of THE KILLER.
6. Don't mock curses.

Dannye | 4 comments Tony-Paul wrote:

This is my pet peeve. I don't care who the characters are, if they have half a brain, their hormones are not going to win out against their fight or flight instinct.

message 26: by Muse, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Tony-Paul wrote: "1. If it's been abandoned, don't go in.
5. Don't take any misfits or people you..."

NUMBER ONE RULE:

If you're a virgin, DO NOT HAVE SEX!!

You're guaranteed to lose your V-card to either the serial killer or die yourself!!

...I'm just sayin'!

message 27: by Rebecca, Group Creator (new)

Muse wrote: "Tony-Paul wrote: "1. If it's been abandoned, don't go in.
5. Don't take any mis..."

OMG LOL Muse!

message 28: by Muse, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Rebecca wrote: "OMG LOL Muse!..."

What? We all know it's true! I just said what everyone else was thinking... LMAO!! ;-)

Simon Lee | 6 comments Barry wrote: "We have to stay together!"

Always quickly followed with, "we'll cover more ground if we split up." And everyone agrees. Not a warning I guess, but equally hilarious.

Anya Allyn | 2 comments Tony-Paul, your list is so true!

1. If it's been abandoned, don't go in.
5. Don't take any misfits or people you've treated badly in with you because he's liable to be THE KILLER or a relative of THE KILLER.
6. Don't mock curses.

And Muse - yep, this has been so true of all those cheesy teenage horror flicks:

If you're a virgin, DO NOT HAVE SEX!!

You're guaranteed to lose your V-card to either the serial killer or die yourself!!

(I so don't get that one. It's like, if you're a teenager and you sleep with someone, you're looking for trouble!)

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 158 comments LOL! I love this thread. I will never understand the sex thing. I can't think of a single human being horny enough to actually say, "HEY! There's a killer on the loose, but let's have sex in this abandoned barn while we can!"

Tony-Paul Vissage (TPdeV) Same here. I was watching one last night. Werewolf loose in the house, kids holed up in the attic, coming out of the crawlspace to get to the phone and the minute their feet hit the floor, with the creature lurking around the corner, they start making out. All I could do was groan, "Oh, Puh-leeze!" If I were being pursued by a werewolf, the last thing on my mind would be getting some...unless it was getting some help to get out of there!

That reminds me of one of those disaster movies, "Tidal Wave" or something...the girl goes to the guy's house to warn him a tidal wave's coming and he's in its path (and they don't even like each other, in fact they hate each other). He grabs her and they start kissing and they're in bed when the tidal wave hits and they drown. That, to me, was sheer stupidity...on the writer's part.

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 158 comments Tony-Paul wrote: "Same here. I was watching one last night. Werewolf loose in the house, kids holed up in the attic, coming out of the crawlspace to get to the phone and the minute their feet hit the floor, with t..."

LOL WHAT? I think I might need to look up Tidal Wave. Sounds like one of those delightfully terrible SyFy original movies!

Jolie Bonnette (aazari) | 10 comments My favorite ignored rule is: keep a cell phone charged and on you at all times. The bad guy cut the phone lines? So what! I got one in my pocket that doesn't need a line. :-p "Hellooo! 911? I need the SWAT team." X-D

Tony-Paul Vissage (TPdeV) Craig wrote: "So we basically agree that inaction is the best form of defence in a horror movie situation? :D

Noted for future reference..."

Not INaction, but not the EXPECTED action.

Tony-Paul Vissage (TPdeV) Jolie wrote: "My favorite ignored rule is: keep a cell phone charged and on you at all times. The bad guy cut the phone lines? So what! I got one in my pocket that doesn't need a line. :-p "Hellooo! 911? I need..."

Actually saw that in a movie the other night. I was almost shocked. You mean he's actually got a cell and it's working? What?

Tony-Paul Vissage (TPdeV) Anya wrote: "Tony-Paul, your list is so true!

1. If it's been abandoned, don't go in.
5. Do..."

Actually, looking back over that last one, it's like, even thinking of sex can get you killed. There's always the two kids in the party who like each other but hold back and eventually are thrown together more and more as the others get picked off. You are cheering for them to survive and have an HEA and even when they come through, they are either scarred emotionally that they don't survive the sequel or they make it out alive and then get bowed down during the credits. Revision of that last rule: wear a chastity belt and let the killer know.

Jolie Bonnette (aazari) | 10 comments Tony-Paul wrote: "Actually saw that in a movie the other night. I was almost shocked. You mean he's actually got a cell and it's working? What? "

LOL! I think I might have fainted. X-D

Christina M Condy (Condygurl) | 19 comments Well isn't that why we tell our kids sex is bad??? After all in every single horror book I've read or movie I've seen its always two teens go off in the dark deserted (insert place here) and get killed because their hormones went nuts.

But I definitely agree with the list that Tony-Paul put up...

Tony-Paul Vissage (TPdeV) Oh, mais non. Sex isn't bad. It's the way it's used by the individual. And also in the opinion of the beholder/warped serial killer/evil spirit/monster.

Kevin Howard | 13 comments I always hate when they're hiding in a room and leave to investigate the noise. What is so wrong with waiting till the sun comes up? No one ever just sits tight and then yells at the top of their lungs. Then again, that would make for a really boring movie.

Tony-Paul Vissage (TPdeV) One must always remember Scream 1, 2, 3, and---was there a 4?--in which they recount all the things one shouldn't do in a horror movie.

message 43: by Muse, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Tony-Paul wrote: "One must always remember Scream 1, 2, 3, and---was there a 4?--in which they recount all the things one shouldn't do in a horror movie."

And yet... they commit all of the 'Horror Movie Sins'.

Jamie Kennedy was the only smart one in those movies! LOL!!

Linda Hays-Gibbs (Lindahaysgibbs) | 12 comments Don't go into the dark black cellar or building or cave! But they always go.
Linda Hays-Gibbs
My Angel, My light as Darkness Falls

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 158 comments Kevin wrote: "I always hate when they're hiding in a room and leave to investigate the noise. What is so wrong with waiting till the sun comes up? No one ever just sits tight and then yells at the top of their..."

Exactly! I guess that's part of it; if these people in these horror movies weren't complete idiots, we wouldn't have a movie to watch in the first place.

Edenmary Black (edenmaryblack) | 30 comments Excellent point, Jennifer. Still, it's hard to imagine being the actor, headed for the attic, with that teeny tiny candle? LOL! This is a great thread!

message 47: by Vicious, BotM Admin (new)

Vicious (crallinout) | 82 comments Mod
Usually people in horror movies get warned about the danger, so the "most popular warning that is ignored" is the "don't" in the first place:

Creepy Farmer: Don't go up to that there cabin.
Me: Gotcha.
[Sound of car doing a u-turn]

Teenager: Hey - want to watch this video? Anyone who watches it is supposed to die in seven days.
Me: Sure I ... holy crap, I just held your video tape right up to this incredibly strong electro-magnet. Shame about the not dying though...

Realtor: The previous three families have all been horribly murdered, but I'm sure you'll be just fine.
Me: Hang on a second...[pretending to use cell phone] "What? No!" [hanging up] My mortgage fell through. Sorry about that.
Realtor: Well... I'm sure we can make arr...
Me: Nope. I'm good.

AND SCENE.

Edenmary Black (edenmaryblack) | 30 comments LOL, Chris! Especially your last thing with the realtor. I'd say, time to move!

Tony-Paul Vissage (TPdeV) Chris wrote: "Usually people in horror movies get warned about the danger, so the "most popular warning that is ignored" is the "don't" in the first place:

Me: Go..."

Love it!

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 158 comments Chris wrote: "Usually people in horror movies get warned about the danger, so the "most popular warning that is ignored" is the "don't" in the first place:

Me: Go..."

LOL! Awesome post is awesome.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jaye Frances (other topics)