Harry Potter discussion

Characters > why do you think hermione fell for ron and not harry?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 99) (99 new)    post a comment »

Peng | 317 comments a lot of people thought harry would have hermione as his partner maybe because ron & hermione were always bickering (which is done by brothers & sisters). that's probably why jk showed in book 3 harry's interest in cho. but why did hermione fell for ron? does opposite really attract? are they that opposite? or did ron's family made all the difference? what do you think?

Zoab Kapoor I think J.K. Rowling did it because she didn't want 2 of the main characters falling in love with each other. Also, if you pay close attention, in the first 2 books it seems like Harry and Hermionie are in love with each other. Rowling probably changed her mind when she was writing the 3rd. Good question, though. Maybe you can e-mail her and ask.

Jenna (jentobox) | 16 comments I thought it was more along the lines of their age. When you're young, like 10/11, you tend to pick fights with your crush or try to annoy them. I thought it Harry and Hermione got along with each other more like siblings.

Rachel because every girl likes a challenge.

Elizabeth Hermione fell for Ron because Hermione thinks logically and Ron thinks very common sense... matter of fact and so they compliment each other. Every time Hermione would add up the facts and give a conclusion Ron would throw in some "Matter of Fact" reason why her logic wouldn't work even if it "made perfect sense". This also causes them to fight.

Peng | 317 comments wow, that's one way to put it, elizabeth. i was actually thinking that hermione has this "maternal instinct" that wants to take care of ron (not that molly doesn't fulfill her duties) but hermione knows ron's insecurities with his brothers' achievements and all....

Peng | 317 comments in book 3 i noticed ron really admiring hermione when she hit draco and dropped divination. but i guess the real "admiration" was in seeing her as a girl in the yule ball. hahaha!

Snowsong (kdskid007) bcuz if hermione feel for harry, ron would hv been all alone... whereas, set up like rowling did it, harry has ginny! lol

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments yeah. hermione had to pick ron, because ron has no one else. where as harry has ginny.

Vanessa | 17 comments Brianne wrote: "yeah. hermione had to pick ron, because ron has no one else. where as harry has ginny. "

yeah

Beatrix (BeatrixKiddo) | 63 comments I'm trying to get this question right:

What Peng meant was: why JKR made Hermione fall for Ron? or: why would someone like Hermione (in real life) fall for someone like Ron??

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments yeah, he's the brave best friend that's always there for you.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I was always a Harry/Hermione supporter...

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments how?

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 246 comments Courtney wrote: "I was always a Harry/Hermione supporter..."

I was too, until I read through the sixth book for the second time. Looking back on it, I think I was in denial for most of that time. :D

Annie (AnnieIsCool13) I think it was so that Ron would have somebody to marry. I mean Harry already had Ginny.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Hermione and Ron go together perfectly. Ron has a sense of humour that Hermione sort-of lacks, and she'll be able to keep him somewhat in order, too. They're insecure where the other is strong, and vice-versa, and I don't think Hermione nessecarily noticed that she liked Ron until he got caught up with Lavender, and then she missed the arguments, etc. I don't know, I liked them together.

Brenda (brlemon) | 44 comments I knew that Hermione and Ron would end up together from the very first book. I agree with Jenna that to me, their bickering was more in line with how kids behave at that age toward someone they really like (having two young boys going through it right now). Harry and Hermione just didn't have any spark - they have always treated each other as just good friends.

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments harry was an orphan so the first friends he made became his siblings

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments OMG YEAH, i like knew ginny was rons sister

and they were married...but i didn't ever thing about that

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Triangle of Love....

Lol...Naruto Rocks! (Katelyn, Haku.) Peng wrote: "a lot of people thought harry would have hermione as his partner maybe because ron & hermione were always bickering (which is done by brothers & sisters). that's probably why jk showed in book 3 ha..."

They were perfect for each other and I think oppisites do attract, but it would be cool for Harry and Hermione being together!

Adrianna | 9 comments opposites attract and harry was always more like a brother

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep.....

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments Well, duh! Oooo I GTG to the bathroom......

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments FLUSH!

Allie (pearlrose95) | 155 comments Jenna wrote: "I thought it was more along the lines of their age. When you're young, like 10/11, you tend to pick fights with your crush or try to annoy them. I thought it Harry and Hermione got along with each ..."

I agree with that. :)

Meredith Potter (MeredithAllison) | 9 comments Yeah...I think Harry and Hermione getting together would have just been way too weird. They were definatly too sibling-like (no romantic spark at all). I think Rowling did a great job with that issue. She kinda addressed the fact that they could have gotten together and Ron was kinda jealous of their relationship (when he thought they might have something more than that of friends) but I am very happy it turned out the way it did.
I knew Harry and Ginny were going to get together as soon as she came into the picture. Too many similarities to Lilly! Kind of oedipal but had to happen.

Jayden (jAyDeNbObAdEn) | 2 comments It was probably because if Harry and Hermione married that's like I don't know cutting Ron off and if she married Ron they were already both Harry's friends so it wouldn't matter. Plus she probably wanted him to be able to experience different crushes in the book while being able to keep his best friends!

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments You guys type long messages.....

Meredith Potter (MeredithAllison) | 9 comments sorry...sometimes i have a lot to say...

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments No no, it's fine. I was just saying..... not against you or anything.....

Meredith Potter (MeredithAllison) | 9 comments not mad...just explaining. Can be verbose.

Ella (ellaj15) | 1380 comments Okay....?

misfaraluvu | 10 comments sometime different character attract one another,
i notice hermione alwiz have fight with ron.
maybe she will be bored without ron..haha

Abi Lou | 184 comments opposites atract i guess

Healer | 38 comments I knew during reading GOF that Ron and Herimone would likely end up together if they both survived. I know others said they noticed this as early as book 1 or 2. I did not see Ginny and Harry coming at all at least not until Harry started crushing on her in HBP and even then I was not sure wether she would return his feelings or if her crush on him had passed.

message 38: by Manik (last edited May 17, 2012 05:40AM) (new)

Manik | 1 comments Well think about the three from a 'Normal World' point-of-view. In all the 7 books the Wizarding World is in turmoil, war and uncertainty. Harry Potter is either saving someone's life or up to something heroic every single year. But for a normal, genuine, longstanding relationship, its the most simple, trivial, every day things that matter. Imagine how boring Potter's life would be if he is not about finding Horcruxes or saving the world every single day.

Hermione would have been GREAT for both Harry and Ron, but who would have been better for her? Think it from Hermione's point of view.

- Ron makes Hermione laugh.
- Ron makes Hermione blush.
- Ron makes Hermione jealous.
- Ron makes Hermione irritated.
- Ron makes Hermione sad.
- Ron makes Hermione angry.
- Ron makes Hermione happy.
- Ron makes Hermione feel important.
- Ron makes Hermione feel desirable.
- Ron makes Hermione feel shy.
- Ron makes Hermione feel wanted.
- Ron makes Hermione feel excited.
- Ron makes Hermione feel significant.
- Ron makes Hermione feel like a normal girl, rather than a nerd or geek.
- Ron allows Hermione to be herself.
- In short, Ron is able to afflict a more wider and deeper range of emotions in Hermione than Harry does.
- Comparatively, Harry makes Hermione sad and happy, but Hermione is fearful of being herself in front of Harry often times.
- Ron didn't think Hermione was beautiful or attractive in the first four years, but he still cared for her and took punishments trying to defend her. Girls love boys who truly like them, not only attracted just for their looks.
- Ron has more free time for Hermione.
- Harry has to save everyone's life, from Dudley to Draco to Dumbledore, but Ron is only most interested about saving Hermione, be it her life, her honor or simply her compulsion from asking questions in class.
- Ron and Hermione have spent more time together in a family environment, Ron's family his her primary link between the magical and muggle world, and she is spending half of her Christmas, New Years, Easter and summer holidays in Ron's house.
- Hermione can vent her anger and frustrations with Ron, but she can't do that with Harry.
- Ron challenges Hermione more than Harry does. In the book, nobody ever argues with Hermione about anything whatsoever, be it in class or outside, except for Ron. And as Hermione is such a perfectionist and know-it-all, she is always bound to argue back and make her point. As a result they eventually end up spending most of their time together arguing compared to anyone else. However because Ron is fair, honest and open-minded, they never cross the line where their arguments turn into ugly fights, they turn out to be healthy two-way channels for venting anger, frustrations and energy between the both of them. They don't have to bottle up bad feelings.
- Ron is 'there' and is always there for Hermione, he has more certainty in life when compared to Harry (who's life expectancy is an additional 1 year every year), whereas Ron's always around, and likely to be more around. Girls need someone to cry on, rest upon, a steady rock, a stable friend.
- As the years progress, Ron himself becomes romantically attracted to Hermione, although Harry isn't. So as there's already a pull from Ron's side, it becomes even easier for Hermione to choose.
- Ron is more physical with Hermione, especially as the years progress. Cuddling, hugging, stroking her hair, etc.
- Ron is always jealous of Hermione's relationship with other males, but Harry isn't. Harry simply isn't romantically attracted to Hermione, is he? And Hermione is smart enough to see that.
- Ron is also a better listener, stays to listen to Hermione speak (she loves to speak and boss around), although Harry tends to politely ignore, think about other things, or simply not listen.
- Despite the above, Ron also stays back to argue and challenge Hermione (nobody else does), which implies patience because Hermione won't stop, Ron won't stop, who else in Gryffindor or Hogwarts will stick around with her, besides Ron?

Well so now, rationally, if you're Hermione (and she is very rational), and you have a choice of two great friends with whom you might think of being romantically involved with? Obviously Ron is a much safer bet because he has a higher life expectancy, more stability, and is more reciprocal towards her. As for irrational reasons, well - I don't know, although I'd like to guess,

"You've got dirt on your nose you know, right here." Hermione to Ron, the first day they met on the train. Perhaps, it was love at first sight.

As for Ginny's suitability for Harry, two simple reasons,
- Ginny stands up to Harry, she will have none of his anger tantrums, is brave enough to tell him to shut up when he needs to. Nobody else in the Wizarding World has managed that, not even Dumbledore or Snape.
- Ginny loved Harry since the first time she met him, age 9.

Harshini  Ramanujam (watchmeread) | 25 comments If you have read the books you would know that Hermione onlythiught of Harry as a friend, she always hugged Harry but never Ron that much. In fact it always seemed like Harry brought together both of them. They never would have met each other if it hadn't been for Harry.

Nikki Sprader | 2 comments I kind of always wanted Harry/Hermione, Ron/Luna, and Neville/Ginny.

Candycloud | 143 comments Nikki wrote: "I kind of always wanted Harry/Hermione, Ron/Luna, and Neville/Ginny."

Same! I totally thought that too!

Bella  (Bella425) | 46 comments I really can't see Ron and Hermione not together. I always thought they end up together. ^-^ I'm not so sure about Harry and Ginny. I think Ginny should have had a bigger role in the books. You don't really know that much about her.

William Axtell I think it had to be from a narative perspective. Oldest trick in the book is the two people who can't stand one another falling in love (Han Solo and Princess Leia anyone?) and Harry had to go through the whole suffering thing and sacrificing his love which wouldn't have worked if he had loved Hermione as she would then have had to be absent, with terrible plotting consequences. To pick up on a point by Zoad, I think Rowling always intended Harry and Ginny to go together, as she alway looked obsessed with him and she finished the end chapter years before writing most of the books! Anyway, who would you prefer, Ginny or Hermione? For me, Hermione's nice but Ginny rocks! As to there having been a bigger space for her in the books, well, you can't fit everything in!

Bumblebeebookworm | 86 comments William wrote: "I think it had to be from a narative perspective. Oldest trick in the book is the two people who can't stand one another falling in love (Han Solo and Princess Leia anyone?) and Harry had to go thr..."

Hermione, but I do think she could need a better partner. They have known each other for years and as you say enemies falling in love. Still I can't help but to wonder if she would be happy with him in the long run.

message 45: by William (last edited May 27, 2012 10:00AM) (new)

William Axtell Indeed, Bumblebeebookworm, but I wonder if there is a part of Hermione which quite likes constantly being reminded how clever she is - that obsession with scoring in tests which won't even go on her permantent record. Not that I blame here and I am very envious of her brilliance and discipline. Perhaps also she finds his relatively unintelligent dispossition workable in a relationship - she won't have to argue with him when it comes to running the house and making decisions and he can calm her down whenever she gets stressed, which she did enough at school but I imagine she would go into a high pressure job (probably in the ministry) and so would find his uncomplicated ordinariness a great relief.

Bumblebeebookworm | 86 comments William wrote: "Indeed, Bumblebeebookworm, but I wonder if there is a part of Hermione which quite likes constantly being reminded how clever she is - that obsession with scoring in tests which won't even go on he..."

That part of her almost seems a bit OCD, and I think it's a part of her nature. The question whoever is that even if a great guy and all of that, will he live up to her mentally in the long run. True true I do suppose, but even if he can keep the house and all of that, wouldn't he bore her in the end you think?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Because Harry has anger issues...
Thats my opinion...

William Axtell William wrote: "Indeed, Bumblebeebookworm, but I wonder if there is a part of Hermione which quite likes constantly being reminded how clever she is - that obsession with scoring in tests which won't even go on he..."

Well, possibly, but I see Hermione as being quite naturally independant and so for the brief time she spends in human contact she might well be O.K. with Ron - he's always doing something ill advised after all so it would be entertaining! Confundus charm to pass a driving test indeed!

William Axtell Hey, has anybody seen this on the whole Harry romance debate - hillarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6TZlX...

Lauren | 139 comments Because Ron Weasley is amazing. Who wouldn't want Ron Weasley?!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread