She-Geeks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General + Announcements from Mod > Recommendations for August

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (last edited Jul 20, 2012 12:33PM) (new)

Kay Lotus (ayokayo) | 251 comments Mod
Now taking reading suggestions for August! I will gather the inquiries and start a poll on July 24th.

message 2: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new)

While I was at the comic store earlier today, the folks behind the counter were goading me to check out Locke and Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft. I've read a lot of positive reviews about it and I'm going to recommend it as our comic book read for next month. Have any of you guys read it? Thoughts?

message 3: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (last edited Jul 12, 2012 08:44AM) (new)

Orchid Volume 1 written by Tom Morello

"Starting on July 11, Dark Horse Comics will be unleashing this bizarre fantasy epic one volume at a time. The setting is a dark and horrific future, blending a cruel jungle with a deranged society. You’re never safe in the world of Orchid. Animals and people alike are out to get you, and you need to be creative just to live — enacting justice being a different matter entirely.

The story centers on a small group of outcasts. Orchid, the title character, is a young prostitute who was sold into slavery with her younger brother, Yehzu, but then rescued by an odd man named Simon, who himself is one of two remaining members of a band of rebels. Joining them is a mysterious old woman and her horse, and overshadowing the group and their fate is a mysterious mask that had once belonged to a great hero, General China." - Amanda Sautbine [read more at Comic Booked]

Anne Kay wrote: "While I was at the comic store earlier today, the folks behind the counter were goading me to check out Locke and Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft. I've read a lot of positive reviews about it and..."

I loved Locke and Key! I've read all of them except the new one that just came out. I'm not usually a fan of graphic novels unless they have supes in them, but this is series is a major exception. Definitely worth reading!

message 5: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new)

Anne wrote: "I loved Locke and Key! I've read all of them except the new one that just came out. I'm not usually a fan of graphic novels unless they have supes in them, but this is series is a major exception. Definitely worth reading!"

Awesome. I'll make sure to check it out. Thanks!

Lindsey.parks | 12 comments a graphic novel of lovecraft stories? I bet the art is fantastic.

Linda Van Nguyen (lindavannguyen) | 6 comments I just started reading the first arc of Locke and Key. It seriously is chilling but that may have been also due to the fact I was reading it at 3am. I'm enjoying it!

message 8: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (last edited Jul 20, 2012 10:03AM) (new)

So we might not need to do a poll for our comic book read for August since I'm gathering that the consensus says yay for Locke and Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft. Here are the first few pages of issue #1 to give y'all an idea of what the art looks like for those who haven't read it.

message 9: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new)

I purchased Vagabond, Volume 1 by Takehiko Inoue last year and it's been collecting major dust on my shelf ever since so I'm going to recommend it for our manga read.

"Shinmen Takezo is destined to become the legendary sword-saint, Miyamoto Musashi--perhaps the most renowned samurai of all time. For now, Takezo is a cold-hearted killer, who will take on anyone in mortal combat to make a name for himself. This is the journey of a wild young brute who strives to reach enlightenment by way of the sword--fighting on the edge of death."

message 10: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new)

More zombies, anyone?

For our literary read (because ya know, us smart gals aren't all comics and manga over here *winks*), I'm recommending World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. I been wanting to read this book forever especially now that I'm caught up in the Walking Dead frenzy. Also, there's a film adaptation coming out next summer that will let me indulge in two favorite pastimes at once:
1.) Zombies
2.) Reading books before their movie release so I can diabolically scrutinize how putrid the movie compared to its literary counterpart

"The Zombie War came unthinkably close to eradicating humanity. Max Brooks, driven by the urgency of preserving the acid-etched first-hand experiences of the survivors from those apocalyptic years, traveled across the United States of America and throughout the world, from decimated cities that once teemed with upwards of thirty million souls to the most remote and inhospitable areas of the planet. He recorded the testimony of men, women, and sometimes children who came face-to-face with the living, or at least the undead, hell of that dreadful time. World War Z is the result. Never before have we had access to a document that so powerfully conveys the depth of fear and horror, and also the ineradicable spirit of resistance, that gripped human society through the plague years.

Ranging from the now infamous village of New Dachang in the United Federation of China, where the epidemiological trail began with the twelve-year-old Patient Zero, to the unnamed northern forests where untold numbers sought a terrible and temporary refuge in the cold, to the United States of Southern Africa, where the Redeker Plan provided hope for humanity at an unspeakable price, to the west-of-the-Rockies redoubt where the North American tide finally started to turn, this invaluable chronicle reflects the full scope and duration of the Zombie War."

Holly Letson (BookaholicHolly) | 2 comments Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 6 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Editions, #6) by Naoko Takeuchi

I've been following the Kodansha USA releases of *Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon*. I recently noticed that Volume 6 is out. I will be trying to get it to read.

message 12: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new)

Holly wrote: "[bookcover:Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Vol. 6]

I've been following the Kodansha USA releases of *Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon*. I recently noticed that Volume 6 is out. I will be trying to get it ..."

Are you excited for the new anime series or what!?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.