Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

VII. Support GR Authors > ebooks on Goodreads

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele Brenton (banana_the_poet) | 64 comments Has anyone on here put an ebook onto the Goodreads system to sell? I'm interested in selling my ebook on Goodreads but the form to fill in seems to only give me a choice of placing it on here for free. Yet elsewhere on the form it talks about selling an ebook.

The bit that is flummoxing me is where it says choose whether to make it free to everyone or only members. There doesn't seem to be a choice for not making it free at all.

Any clarification would be gratefully received.

message 2: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (AlexandriaConstantinovaSzeman) Dear Michelle,
I, too, am looking for that answer and was just about to contact support at GR. You could either do the same, or, if you'd like, I'll let you know their response to me.
Alexandria
Alexandria Constantinova Szeman
(formerly writing as "Sherri")

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane McGyver (dianelynnmcgyver) | 16 comments I'm interested in learning about this, too. I have a short story, The Man Who Reads Obituaries, I was thinking about adding to Goodreads when it comes out of Kindle Select, but I don't want to price it for free.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to know too Michele. It is very confusing!

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele Brenton (banana_the_poet) | 64 comments Alexandria wrote: "Dear Michelle,
I, too, am looking for that answer and was just about to contact support at GR. You could either do the same, or, if you'd like, I'll let you know their response to me.
Alexandria
Al..."

Oh I am glad it isn't just me. Please do share what you find out Alexandria. Very kind of you to offer.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Guthrie (Paulguthrie) | 8 comments I'm not sure where people are getting hung up, but I have an e-book for sale here on Goodreads priced at $3.99, so it can be done. The page for the book also lists links to all the other places it can be bought.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I tried to list my book a couple of weeks ago but I got a message that Goodreads isn't accepting any more book listings at this time.

I uploaded my book anyway, offered a 25% preview and then linked to all the sites where it can be purchased.

I think this formula is the next best thing!

message 8: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Forsythe | 68 comments I also have a book here on Goodreads, but no sales. I don't think very many people buy books here. Mine has been up for a while, but I seem to remember the choices being free for everyone to read and download, free to read on the computer but not downloadable, or for sale. Maybe there is some sort of change in the works.

message 9: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria (AlexandriaConstantinovaSzeman) Michele wrote: "Alexandria wrote: "Dear Michelle,
I, too, am looking for that answer and was just about to contact support at GR. You could either do the same, or, if you'd like, I'll let you know their response t..."

Here's what I was told about ebook giveaways: not able to do so at this time, so no limited number of free ebook giveaways possible, although Goodreads is experimenting with formats and beta-programs.

I am now looking into their "launch" program, which I believe costs money, but I believe the ebooks are given away for free: not sure. Two people I know of have done it, and it corresponded with their "Free ebook promotional days" on Amazon.

Have just contacted support about how one does a "launch", how much it costs (that was the only thing that came up under help search for book launch: advertising), and exactly what it means.

Still looking into it, for all of us,
Alexandria

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele Brenton (banana_the_poet) | 64 comments Alexandria wrote: "Michele wrote: "Alexandria wrote: "Dear Michelle,
I, too, am looking for that answer and was just about to contact support at GR. You could either do the same, or, if you'd like, I'll let you know ..."

Thanks Alexandria - your input is very much appreciated. It seems to be quite a mare's nest doesn't it?

message 11: by Alexandria (last edited Jul 10, 2012 06:19AM) (new)

Alexandria (AlexandriaConstantinovaSzeman) Michele wrote: "Alexandria wrote: "Michele wrote: "Alexandria wrote: "Dear Michelle,
I, too, am looking for that answer and was just about to contact support at GR. You could either do the same, or, if you'd like,..."

Despite Paul's ability to sell his ebooks on Goodreads, the rest of us cannot. Per an email from the advertising department, which directed me to this URL http://www.goodreads.com/author/how_to of which the very last sentence on the page is this: "Goodreads is not currently accepting any new ebooks for sale. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Christine, above, apparently got the same answer, and put up 25% of her ebook, with locations where it could be bought. She didn't say how many she'd sold this way, so I don't know how successful it was.

So we cannot do Giveaways with ebooks, nor can we sell them any longer on this site. We can upload a portion or the complete book as an epub but cannot limit how many people download it or maintain DRM so that they cannot copy & distribute the book.

I'm disappointed. Though I love my paper books (I have over 3,000), I have also learned to love the convenience of my e-reader and of ebooks when they are well formatted (easy to navigate).

The advertising department did, however, direct me to these pages, which list some of the things authors can do, some of which are quite expensive, but some of which are free:

Author Program: http://www.goodreads.com/author/program

Author Program How-To: http://www.goodreads.com/author/how_to

Hope this helps,
Best,
Alexandria

message 12: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Picco | 2 comments Hi everyone, i am an italian writer I just got translated my last novel into english and put it on amazon (for kindle) but here on goodreads I don't understand if it's possible to have a direct link on amazon so that eventually a reader can buy it. I can't give the ebook to goodreads because I'm using kindle select. Sorry for my english and hope someone can help me ( by the way, the translation of my book was made by an american professional translator! ;) thanks gabriele

message 13: by Jürgen (new)

Jürgen Stollin | 1 comments Hi all of you. Thanks to be with you. I am a German write.Sorry, my E-books by Amazon, are all in German language.
My account by pinterest: http://pinterest.com/fremder3010/
I also have a very interesting blog for people how can write in German language.: http://hippieguru.blogspot.com/

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian Shirley (BrianTShirley) | 44 comments I've posted my Amazon link on several posts and nobody has said anything to me about it. I'll post it agin here, if there's a problem with that someone let me know. I'm an independent author/comedian doing all my own marketing. It sometimes feels like the chips are stacked against me twice, any way here goes http://www.amazon.com/Funny-Thing-Hap...

message 15: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) | 87 comments It's probably just me, but I find that side of this site a bit difficult to work out the navigation. I recently used my first royalties to pay for a professional cover. I had an attempt the other day to change it but gave up. I'll have another go tomorrow probably, but it's certainly not intuitive.

unread topics | mark unread