Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Archive Stuff > Extras in books

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Graham Miller (Graham_H_Miller) | 14 comments Hi

I've noticed more and more books nowadays getting extras like reading group notes, essays on themes by the author and a synopsis at the back. One publisher even gives icons on the back cover to show what the content is.

What do you all think of this as a trend? It inspired me to write a blog post:

http://grahamhmiller.com/2012/07/02/e...

Thanks

Graham

message 2: by Melanie, Trying to finish book 2.. (new)

Melanie Cusick-Jones (MelC-J) | 561 comments Mod
It's not something I've seen much of so far, but I could see it catching on - especially with Indies/self-pub. Great post - it will be interesting to see where this trend goes.

Lucinda | 222 comments I have read several books with extras in them such as; an author interview at the back, a book group's thoughts on the book, synopsis at the beginning and the first chapter of the follow on book/ sequel.

All of the above i find to be both interesting & a great added extra, full of insight from other readers perspective which can be another way to help promote the author and thier work.

D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket) I've read a few books with extras in the back, but usually I skim through them. Reading group discussion material is very valuable to groups, but since I read alone I don't read it. Same with interviews or previews, although the latter are nice to see right away what other books an author writes.

The only extras I enjoyed recently were in a science fiction e-book that was annotated. The author added some very fascinating details of how she was inspired to make the characters, how she foreshadowed it, and the translations of names. It would be distracting if you were reading it for the first time, but revisiting the book was fascinating to see how much care and thought went into something I thought was just an average SF novel.

D.M. (DMerri) I haven't noticed any of this, but I like the ideas. I think it's smart to do for e-books.

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 282 comments I was scrolling threads and came to this one so thought id revive it.
I have noticed this as well. In the beginning of books theres alot of quotes, authors links, reviews and notes and likewise in the back of the book with listings, and features of other books. I think its a good idea but you also dont wanna over inform people. However it is a good way to get ones content out there

message 7: by Jim (last edited Dec 17, 2013 10:21AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic My publisher included a special free offer on the last page of my novel which really helped promote interest and sales.

It is a coupon code for a free download of the audio book - 8 hours listening time, narrated by Stephen Rozzell.

I am surprised more books do not contain something similar; especially those written by lesser known authors like myself. It would certainly make the jobs of the marketing representative and publicist a bit easier.

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 282 comments I've seen the beginnings or even starts to chapters of other books, a small author bio(normal in most books, I myself do it), a list of other works by the author, an index. All things we tend to find in books these days. There isn't anything wrong with this, in fact it's a better way to give the reader as much content as possible.

Norma Huss (NormaHuss) | 18 comments I've read some e-books that have as back matter suggesting a review. Since I always put up a bit of a review/rating of the books I read, I think it's a good idea, but I wonder if others do. Does it inspire you or turn you off? And, does the wording make any difference? (Naturally, I'm thinking about this as an author as well as a reader.)

message 10: by Stan (last edited Aug 22, 2014 12:17PM) (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) | 118 comments I suggest the following.
1) a sample of your next book, up to 5,000 words
2) a list of your books if you have more than one
3) your social media links
Facebook
Google Plus
Twitter
Pinterest
and others
4) your email address
5) your Author page if the manuscript is headed for Kindle Digital Publishing. This will require editing for other publishing sites.

unread topics | mark unread