The Book Addicts! discussion

Book Discussions > Defending Jacob/NON-SPOILER THREAD!

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) Blackburn (mbeth45) | 9195 comments Mod
This is the thread where you can let us know if you are reading the book and what you think of the author. DO NOT POST SPOILERS HERE.

Marbear

Amy Read this earlier this year. I haven't read anything else by this author, but I couldn't put this one down. Can't wait for the discussion, as I haven't talked to anyone else who read it.

Flash Beagle | 191 comments Hoping to! I'm number 8 in the library queue.

Connie I have read this book and really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to the discussion.

TamElaine | 375 comments I am new to this group...and first just wanted to say Hello....I was drawn to the group by the description...sounded 'fun loving' the way it was written...and further decided that since I had just purchased "Defending Jacob" it must have be meant to be that I am here...I'm only on chapter 3, but I imagine I will polish a good chunk of it off this evening...and looking forward to it !

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 39 comments Defending Jacob is quite a book. I listened to it on audio which added to my immersion into the story.

message 7: by Flash Beagle (last edited Jul 09, 2012 05:52PM) (new)

Flash Beagle | 191 comments It must be a page turner - it went through the library queue faster than any I've waited for!

Eileen | 215 comments Tam Welcome to the group.. I am new also.

You will love this book Enjoy

Carrie | 259 comments I'm loving this book so far. It is a real page-turner. I haven't read a court/murder drama book in a long time. Kind of got enough of it but I'm thoroughly enjoying this! Great pick! I really like that the dad is narrating the story.

Judy | 114 comments Thanks to someone for getting the Non-spoiler discussion going. I have just barely gotten into the book. Had to go to another book for a book club. I am enjoying it so far. The story is intriguing & the writing is good, too.

Laura Gunden | 49 comments I am loving this book. I have about 50 pages left so I'm trying not to peak at the spoiler thread but I want to talk about the book SO MUCH! Such a good pick!

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 114 comments I know what you mean Laura - that's really hard when you are loving the book and you want to talk about it.

Bonnie | 114 comments Just finished Defending Jacob and i did enjoy the book. Interesting characters and story.

Btw: now that there is another bonnie on our group I will use Bon...though I bet I have owned my name for more years...hahaha

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) | 817 comments I read this book when it was first released and rated it 3 stars. I was happy to see that it was chosen as a book selection for this month, because I do not know anyone else who has read the book, and I am interested in other's opinions.

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 563 comments I just started this book and loving it. So far I read 50 pages out loud to my 12-yr old and she is really into it. This a book both of us are reading together,especially since it involves kids in her age group ( only she is 13 going to the 8th grade).

Judy | 114 comments Veronica wrote: "I just started this book and loving it. So far I read 50 pages out loud to my 12-yr old and she is really into it. This a book both of us are reading together,especially since it involves kids in h..."

That's great that you are reading the book with your daughter. I hope you share some of her thoughts & comments since one of the characters is near your daughter's age.

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 114 comments Veronica wrote: "I just started this book and loving it. So far I read 50 pages out loud to my 12-yr old and she is really into it. This a book both of us are reading together,especially since it involves kids in h..."

That's cool Veronica, I would love to hear her thoughts on the book.

Michelle Wood | 7 comments I just finished the book today. Very thought provoking book. Read it in 2days. I am wondering if his other books are as good. Anyone know?

Jami (JamiKap) | 451 comments I just finished this book two weeks ago and absolutely loved it! I waited for it for a long time at the library, and it was well worth the wait. I was definitely surprised by the ending! I have never read any of his other books, but I have both of them on my to-read list. If they are half as good as this one, I know I will like it!

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 114 comments Michelle wrote: "I just finished the book today. Very thought provoking book. Read it in 2days. I am wondering if his other books are as good. Anyone know?"

This was my first book by this author, but will be interested in checking out others.

Judy | 114 comments Terrific book & I'm anxious to get to the other thread & join the discussion. Don't want to spoil my reading because at this point (70% on Kindle) I can't figure out which way it will go. Just not enough time to read. So what am I doing writing here?!

Sue (SueC3971) | 46 comments Judy wrote: "Terrific book & I'm anxious to get to the other thread & join the discussion. Don't want to spoil my reading because at this point (70% on Kindle) I can't figure out which way it will go. Just not ..."

Judy...just keep reading...love to know your thoughts on the ending! As soon as I finished, I went right to the author's website and wrote him a letter...never heard back from him, but I had to just thank him for writing the novel! Sue

Judy | 114 comments Susan wrote: "Judy wrote: "Terrific book & I'm anxious to get to the other thread & join the discussion. Don't want to spoil my reading because at this point (70% on Kindle) I can't figure out which way it will ..."
Susan I did the same thing--went to Landlay's website. I wanted to find out more about him. Didn't learn much, but satisfied my curiosity that he was a lawyer.

Just this morning I picked up Mission Flats audiobook from the library. It was his first book & got good reviews. I really like his writing. On the other thread several have said that he didn't develop his characters well, especially Laura. But the book is about Andy, from his point of view; so that's why the other characters weren't as well developed. I didn't writ him, but became a fan!

Don't want to say much here, but I was flabbergasted at the ending. I knew something was going to happen because it looks as though it was all wrapped up & yet the book wasn't ended. The ending was a shocker to me & I still had difficulty going along with how the plot was resolved. Great book!

Sue (SueC3971) | 46 comments Judy - will be interested to hear what you think of his first book "MIssion Flats". I also was shocked at the ending...and I was still unsure whether it was resolved...I'm sure the mother (she lived, right? My memory is already going!!!) has to go to jail, thus the reason for the trial at the end. I can see this becoming a movie and a sequel coming up - what do you think?

Jami (JamiKap) | 451 comments Susan wrote: "Judy - will be interested to hear what you think of his first book "MIssion Flats". I also was shocked at the ending...and I was still unsure whether it was resolved...I'm sure the mother (she live..."

I also went back and but both of his books (The Strangler and Mission Flats) on my to read list. It seems from the reviews that Mission Flats is the better of the two.

Judy | 114 comments Susan wrote: "Judy - will be interested to hear what you think of his first book "MIssion Flats". I also was shocked at the ending...and I was still unsure whether it was resolved...I'm sure the mother (she live..."
I'm sure I'll write a review when I finish Mission Flats, but it may be some time. Will try to remember to let you know.
Yes, what I particularly liked about Defending Jacob was the format that Landlay used interspersing court dialog within the book as the plot moved along. I can certainly see the book made into a movie. Don't know about a sequel, but I have wondered what Andy's future would be.

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 164 comments Finished it this morning. Haunting.

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 114 comments Judy wrote: "Susan wrote: "Judy wrote: "Terrific book & I'm anxious to get to the other thread & join the discussion. Don't want to spoil my reading because at this point (70% on Kindle) I can't figure out whic..."

I totally agree with you on the character development of Laura, this book was told in Andy's point of view. Personally I thought Laura was portraid well. I can't really see a sequel coming from this book, but I really like it, and interested in reading more by this author.

unread topics | mark unread