Young Adult Book Club discussion

Between Shades of Gray
This topic is about Between Shades of Gray
Between Shades of Gray > What do you think so far?

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2678 comments Mod
Now that you have started reading.. what do you think so far? No spoilers in this thread!

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Jul 02, 2012 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I see there is a lot of confusion between this book and Fifty Shades of Grey. Were you confused with the titles? http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapte...

and another article: http://shelf-life.ew.com/2012/04/30/b...

NPR: http://www.npr.org/2012/05/17/1527785...

Tatiana | 25 comments I'm over halfway through and so far I'm impressed that Sepetys is telling such an important story about an often overlooked part of WWII history. I guess it strikes a cord because it slightly correlates to my family history. My only complaint is that the writing is sparce; I would have liked a little more emotion infused into the narrative.

Crystal Books Unbound (crystalbooksunbound) I knew what the book was and what I was getting into when I picked it up. It was probably quite startling to those who thought they were reading 50 Shade of Gray. So far, it's a very intense and graphic book. I almost have to detach my emotions so I won't cry my eyes out through every page. I read a little bit at a time, put it down, process what I read and my emotions, maybe cry a little and then read more. It's almost too much to read more than 40 or 50 pages at a time. I wonder if that's why the author made the chapters so short. It's a very powerful novel so far!

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) I've been on hold at my library almost a month. I doubt I'll get it by the end of the month :(.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I was tumbling through some online threads and someone posted the first couple of paragraphs in a thread. From what I read, I really didn't like the sound of it. But the paragraphs were worded very properly.

message 7: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read the first chapter and think it will be a good book!

message 8: by Theo (last edited Jul 07, 2012 05:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Theo | 113 comments I started it today and while I'm sure it's going to be a heavy read, I like it so far. I have very little knowledge about this subject, and I love it when I learn new things through reading well-researched historical fiction. It makes me want to do some nonfiction reading on the subject as well.

message 9: by Julia (last edited Jul 08, 2012 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julia | 414 comments I read it 7/6 on flights from LA to Newark and Boston. I even watched the inflight movie and still finished it. It made my flights seem easy.

I heard the npr story by Sepetys about her novel and the other one and was very amused. I had just bought this book right before it aired.

message 10: by Grace (last edited Jul 17, 2012 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Grace (gdaminato) | 498 comments I'm past the half way point. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue with the book - I wasn't in the mood for something along that line. I'm glad I persisted.

I can't say I'm enjoying the story - how can one enjoy stories about the suffering of innocent people? But I am glad it was selected and I find it gives me a lot to thing about. It really highlights for me how inconsequential some of the other books we've read have been. Who could possibly care about what happens to any of the girls in "Pretty Little Liars" (for example) after you've read about Lina and her family?

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I wasn't in the mood either Grace!! I too am glad I read it. One day I just sat down and put in a few hours and then I was blown away. I like the change to the books we have been reading also. While I like fantasy, science fiction, distopian novels it is nice to have a change. I felt that I learned something in this book and it brought out a lot of feeling I don't normal get when reading other types of books.

Jennika (Lovenectar28) | 85 comments I just picked this up last night, since I had some other library books I needed to finish up first... :P

I'm about 40 pages in so far, and I'm really looking forward to it. I enjoy reading historical fictions. I do not know much about the topic, but it's reminding me of Anne Frank.

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

After reading Between Shades of Gray... I realize I really need to get around to reading Diary of Anne Frank. Surprisingly I have never read it!

Jennika (Lovenectar28) | 85 comments Yes... You do need to read it! :) I believe I read it for the first time in middle school... It was very eye opening to say the least!

message 15: by Lesli (new)

Lesli Nelson (lesliann45) | 2 comments Well, I haven't read the book yet. I will probably buy it and read it.

unread topics | mark unread