SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

The Silent Tower (Windrose Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Silent Tower
"Silent Tower" discussion > Silent Tower - Finished **SPOILERS**

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (last edited Jul 01, 2012 05:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Spoilers are allowed here, so beware if you've not finished reading The Silent Tower before perusing this thread.

Since I haven't started my re-read yet, I won't post anything here for a day or two.

Remember, if you have any questions for the author, please drop by her Q&A thread.

Sandra  (Sleo) I read this a while ago and liked it. I'd like to read the rest of the series.

message 3: by Jon (last edited Jul 01, 2012 07:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "I read this a while ago and liked it. I'd like to read the rest of the series."

The Silicon Mage goes hand-in-hand with The Silent Tower. I read them back to back originally and everytime I re-read, I usually end up re-reading both.

Kerry (rocalisa) | 57 comments For some reason, when I reread The Silent Tower last year, I didn't actually go on and read The Silicon Mage: The Windrose Chronicles. I don't know why. I still want to do it, but I'm drowning in books and I can never decide what to read next.

I love both these books and while the details aren't as fresh as they could be, I look forward to discussing The Silent Tower.

Kerry (rocalisa) | 57 comments I'm going to post this here to be on the safe side. I just saw Chris' comment in the "first impressions" thread about reading one chapter and finding the "world of Caris" interesting.

I'd forgotten until then that indeed, the book opens as if it is going to be all about Caris. I'm so used to think of the series as "Antryg and Joanna" that I never remember the book POV doesn't start with either of them. I found it a surprise when I reread the book last year and I was surprised all over again reading Chris' comment, even thought it's absolutely right.

Hmm, I'm not sure what point, if any, I'm making with this comment, it's just something that struck me.

Anyone else who is rereading find themselves reacting the same way?

Chris  (haughtc) | 769 comments I just finished....

Kerry, your post is dead on. Heh. I indeed thought of Caris as the main protagonist as I read the first few chapters. It's a bit of a twist how Hambly switched the focus around to Antryg.

As far as the ending, eh. I liked the resolutions and the way that Joanna figured things out, but we're left off without a final answer as to what happens to Antryg and what Joanna does with her discoveries.

Which means, I guess, that we have to continue with the series to get that resolution.

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments I have to agree with you both. Unfortunately (or not IMHO) the resolution occurs in the sequel, The Silicon Mage. I would encourage everyone to continue reading the series, as I don't believe you'll be disappointed.

Kerry (rocalisa) | 57 comments Really, I see The Silent Tower and The Silicon Mage as 1 story cut into 2 books. So if you liked the first, I, too, encourage you to go on and finish the story by reading The Silicon Mage.

Mary JL (MaryJL) | 177 comments Btw, there is a third book in the series called Dog Wizard.

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Mary JL wrote: "Btw, there is a third book in the series called Dog Wizard."

Thanks for reminding me. For some reason, I can't find my copy and I don't remember much about the plot. I think I see another ebook purchase in my near future.

Dog Wizard

aPriL purrs 'n hisses (CheshireScratches) | 119 comments I will be reading 'The Silent Tower'. I must! This is a fun read. I thought it was about Caris when I started it, too, but at that point I didn't know him. It's a good thing Joanna and Antryg came along or I would have lost interest. Caris only wants to be a defensive sword without a brain, and that can't sustain 300 pages. Before this group selection, I had never heard of Hambly. I want Antryg to be a good guy at this point, for poor Barbara, and if he is a good guy, don't want him tortured and killed. I never liked that weasel Gary - I picture him as the kind of guy who'd wear three kinds of product in his hair while wearing his shirts unbuttoned down to his navel. The Dark Mage can only be an improvement.

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments April the Cheshire Meow wrote: "I will be reading 'The Silent Tower'. I must! This is a fun read. I thought it was about Caris when I started it, too, but at that point I didn't know him. It's a good thing Joanna and Antryg came ..."

Glad you'll be joining us in reading The Silent Tower by Barbara Hambly. I enjoy reading all of her novels.

Not sure the Dark Mage will be an improvement over Gary ... but you'll have to read and find out. :)

Casceil | 34 comments OK. I have finished the book, and I have a question. Clearly, the Silent Tower ends on a cliffhanger. I will probably read the Silicon Mage, but may not get to it right away. My decision on timing might be influenced, though, if there are other people in this group who expect to read Silicon Mage in the immediate future and are interested in discussing it. Alternatively, if anyone is interested in doing a "Buddy Read" of it at some future date, I would like to know.

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments I plan to re-read Silicon Mage as soon as I finish Silent Tower. I'm in.

aPriL purrs 'n hisses (CheshireScratches) | 119 comments I'm going to read Silicon Mage.

Melanti I found it extremely slow to start the book but after the first half or so, it picked up quite a bit and got more engaging. I kept getting interested in the mornings or on my lunch break but losing interest after work. But I think that's due more to general malaise than anything specific to this book. Unfortunately, this book wasn't quite strong enough to overcome my reading slump.

I've recently read The Ladies Mandrigyn and Dragonsbane and loved them both, so it would take a very special book to measure up to either in my head. Neither of those books seemed nearly as dated as this one - and I think I'd say the same thing even if the computer technology was current.

I am going to read the sequel but I'll probably wait until this slump is over.

message 17: by Kim, The Zinoviev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (shirezu) | 734 comments Mod
Melanti wrote: "I found it extremely slow to start the book but after the first half or so, it picked up quite a bit and got more engaging."

That's how I felt too. The idea was good but the execution wasn't. I might read the sequel one day but certainly not any time soon. Too much else I want to read.

Elizabeth Lang | 14 comments I'm re-reading the Windrose trilogy. Just finished Silent Tower. I still love Antryg.

I find it interesting that Barbara begins with Caris's POV, giving us his impressions of Antryg and building this world from his viewpoint, and then going to Joanna's POV in the second chapter before we 'see' Antryg for ourselves. It seems to ground us in the more mundane 'realism' before we are plunged into Antryg's unique and mad world. I wonder if Barbara had this idea from the beginning or if she played around with starting from different POVs before deciding on this one.

message 19: by Jon (last edited Jul 19, 2012 08:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Elizabeth wrote: " I wonder if Barbara had this idea from the beginning or if she played around with starting from different POVs before deciding on this one. "

Sounds like a great question to post in the Q&A thread for Barbara to answer. :)

Karen (seaayre) | 10 comments I originally read this when it was first published, so I wondered how it would stand the test of time thingie. Not bad, actually. I loved it the first time around and still do. :) Characters were wonderful and the worldbuilding fine indeed. Was happy to revisit this one.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Silent Tower (other topics)
The Silicon Mage (other topics)
The Silicon Mage (other topics)
Dog Wizard (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Barbara Hambly (other topics)