On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Oxford American Magazine

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike, "Lawyer Stevens" (new)

Mike (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2096 comments Mod
I've been happily perusing Oxford American's Best of the South 2012 edition. This is one literary magazine I do NOT miss. If you're not familiar with it, you're missing a treat. This month's issue includes fiction by Wendell Berry, and a new piece by new essayist Jesmyn Ward this past year's National Book Award Winner for Salvage the Bones. As the magazine cover exudes, "Our Annual Extravaganza of the Persons, Places, and Things That make South so Damn Loveable."

Photobucket

The little girl holding the baby goat may justify the averment. However, Oxford American gets down and grity when it examines the South. If you want to know how to whip up appetizers before the big game drop over to "Southern Living." If you have the money to spend and live in a fantasy world you can be beguiled by Charleston based "Gun and Garden." Yes, you read that correctly.

Money has lured former OA writers over to "G&G. Yeah, money talks. So, if you're looking about for a fine literary magazine that examines the South and its people with an unwavering gaze, this is the place for you. $20.00 for a year's subscription. And did I mention that there is an Annual Music Edition complete with CD offering the finest in Southern Blues, Ballads, and Rock n' Roll?

I am sad to report that Oxford American remembers William Gay, Harry Crews, Doris Betts, and Lewis Nordan, whom we have lost this year, all great writers we will all miss.

Run out an pick up a copy or visit http://www.oxfordamerican.org for a spin on what you've been missing.

Lawyer Stevens

Lawyer Stevens

message 2: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 826 comments Mod
Well, that didn't take too much convincing! I just subscribed on my Nook for $1.00/month. And you are right about "Garden & Gun", it's very popular here in Charleston because it's published here, but it's all style and not much substance. By the way, it's called that because the creators met in a downtown restaurant to discuss names for their new publication. The restaurant used to be known as The Garden And Gun, so they liked the idea of something for everyone and went with that.

message 3: by Mike, "Lawyer Stevens" (new)

Diane wrote: "Well, that didn't take too much convincing! I just subscribed on my Nook for $1.00/month. And you are right about "Garden & Gun", it's very popular here in Charleston because it's published here,..."

Interesting. Last issue, OA Editor Marc Smirnoff blasted G&G as a magazine that presented a fantasy South that did not exist. The letters to this issue of OA blasted Smirnoff. Apparently G&G readers take their version of the South very seriously. It seems that the last straw for Smirnoff was a "Today Show" spotlight on G&G, praising it for its realistic depiction of the South and its writers, mostly "bought" away from OA. If you have a chance to read Smirnoff's rant, and rant it was, I'd love to hear your reaction to it. The issue was the Annual Visual South issue depicting the up and coming 100 artists in the South. It was a fascinating issue.

Mike

message 4: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I'll look for it at the library and let you know what I think.

message 5: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Just saved myself a trip to the library in this 100 degree heat and looked it up online. You're right, it was a rant, but an interesting one. I guess my observation is that when I pick up G&G at the store, I peruse it during lunch, read an article or 2, and promptly put it back on the newsstand. But I intend to read every work of OA, and upon looking at it on my Nook, I think I'll have to buy a "real" copy to increase my reading pleasure. And he's right about G&G and Southern Living being marketed to rich whites who like to pretend the South is all moonlight and magnolias. It's not, but it's alright to depict us as we really are, because our flaws make us real, and as long as there are those of us who try to correct those flaws in ourselves and our children, (and there are lots of us) then we can continue to take pride in our heritage.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 157 comments A very gifted young writer named Mary Marge Locker is currently doing an internship with OA and loving every minute of it. She is an amazing talent (at 19). Keep your eyes peeled for her name as you read.

message 7: by Everitt (new)

Everitt | 493 comments This looks interesting. Literary magazines are one of the under rated sources for great fiction. Plus there is something appealing, to me, about having a regularly occurring selection of short fiction to read.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 157 comments Watch for their annual music issue. Fantastic Southern music (as well as the always excellent articles).

message 9: by Mike, "Lawyer Stevens" (new)

Kathy wrote: "Watch for their annual music issue. Fantastic Southern music (as well as the always excellent articles)."

Kathy, you made an excellent point. This year's issue was simply outstanding. Who can resist "My Baby Likes Chili Dogs?" *GRIN*

Mike, who has been missin' you!

message 10: by Mike, "Lawyer Stevens" (new)

Kathy wrote: "A very gifted young writer named Mary Marge Locker is currently doing an internship with OA and loving every minute of it. She is an amazing talent (at 19). Keep your eyes peeled for her name as yo..."

I'll be on the lookout for her!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Salvage the Bones (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wendell Berry (other topics)
Jesmyn Ward (other topics)