Absalom, Absalom! Absalom, Absalom! discussion

Absalom, Absalom! NY TImes Article

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matthew John Jeremiah Sullivan has an interesting article, what will be the preface to the Modern Library Edition of Absalom, Absalom!

In light of this, feel free to share your memories or impressions of the novel, and whether or not you feel that this is indeed the greatest southern novel.

Personally, I was blown away by this novel. I was uncertain about my feelings toward Faulkner until I read it. After that, I understood why he is considered a great writer.

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Protzel I consider Absalom, Absalom! one of the two greatest novels of all time, maybe #1. Have read and annotated it many times, and it was the inspiration for my forthcoming first novel, The Lies that Bind. The first two chapters are as great as any and, though one must work through it, when done, you are satisfied! Since, I have read every Faulkner numerous times. Funny, but when first read, after seven pages, had no idea what was happening, and had to re-read. There are a lot of prettily written novels, but this one, above all, has POWER! Light in August, Sound and the Fury, so many. Also love Love in the Time of Cholera, by Garcia Marquez. Any other Southern or other writers that can touch this? I'd love to read them.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Absalom, Absalom! (other topics)