SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Once Burned (Night Prince, #1)
This topic is about Once Burned
Archive: BOM & Challenges > [Aug 2012] "Once Burned" Discussion **Spoilers**

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (last edited Jun 29, 2012 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steph (Angel4492) | 18235 comments This is the discussion thread for our August BOM: Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost.

Spoilers Welcome Here

Please include in your discussion:
* How would rate the character development and action?
* What did you think of the world building?
* Have you read the parent series Night Huntress where the hero, Vlad, was first introduced?
-- If so, what do you think about him getting his own series?
-- Did you like him in the Night Huntress books?
-- Do you like him more or less now that you've read Once Burned?
* Did you have a favorite quote or scene?
* Would you recommend the book to others?
* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?

message 2: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steph (Angel4492) | 18235 comments I read this one the end of June and loved it. Quick note: I think this one can be read even if the books in NH and NHW haven't been read/finished. :)

How would rate the character development and action?
5★ character development and 4★ action

Some have mentioned that Vlad seemed different in this book, compared to his personality in the NH books. I read it as us getting to see more of him in this book and getting to know the "real" Vlad instead of the little bits we were given in the NH books.

I thought Leila, Vlad's sweetheart, was a perfect match for him. Her abilities and her feisty personality make her strong enough to break through his shell.

The action was good, but I loved the character development more than the action.

What did you think of the world building?
I was familiar with the world from Night Huntress (NH) & Night Huntress World (NHW), but it was great seeing Vlad's home/castle. I also liked getting to know those in his "employ" - Max and his humans.

Have you read the parent series Night Huntress where the hero, Vlad, was first introduced?
Yes, I've read all the books in NH and NHW.

If so, what do you think about him getting his own series?

LOVED him getting his own series! I thought he was interesting when he showed up in NH and wanted to know more - what a better way that w/his own series.

I am interested to see where she takes the series - will he and Leila remain the main characters, similar to NH? Or will there be a new HEA w/each book, similar to NHW?

Did you like him in the Night Huntress books?
YES! :D

Do you like him more or less now that you've read Once Burned?
MORE!

Did you have a favorite quote or scene?
Tons and Tons! You can read my status updates w/quotes here.

I've yet to write my review, but when I do, I'll include all my favorite quotes. Both Vlad and Leila had some great one-liners throughout.

Would you recommend the book to others?
Yes! Even if you haven't read NH and/or NHW, I would recommend this series.

Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?
Absolutely!

message 3: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judithe | 5330 comments Ummmm....just, DITTO! Loved this! NHW was missing something for me to push it into the 5 star range. This had that something extra! Can't wait to read more.

message 4: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steph (Angel4492) | 18235 comments :D Yay!

Do you think the NH & NHW books should be read before starting this one?

I've said no, but I've seen others say yes. Don't wanna mess it up for anyone by saying it's cool to skip right to this one.

message 5: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judithe | 5330 comments I think NHW should be read after NH, but think this one can be read without reading the others. The full "weight" of Cat & Bones' appearance won't be felt if NH or NHW haven't been read yet, but I think that's pretty minor, overall. Maybe there isn't as much world-building as a new-reader might like, but I don't think there was so much in NH1 either...

So, I agree with your "no"!

message 6: by Sandra, Winter is Coming ... (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra | 13021 comments I agree. Having read them all, Once Burned can be read without reading any of the other NH or NHW books IMO.

message 7: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steph (Angel4492) | 18235 comments Phew. I was worried that I'd possibly screwed up the read for those who haven't started or finished NH/W. Thanks! :D

Missyb | 68 comments * How would rate the character development and action? - I liked the development of the characters, especially her, she really became what Vlad needs.
* What did you think of the world building? - So far so good.
* Have you read the parent series Night Huntress where the hero, Vlad, was first introduced? - Yes, I've read the entire series that's been released and a few of the short stories & the Night Huntress World book that have been released.
-- If so, what do you think about him getting his own series? - So far I like it. He was a interesting character in the other series & could be a lot of fun to read about.
-- Did you like him in the Night Huntress books? - Yes, he was fun to have around & needling Bones plus he is loyal & fierce.
-- Do you like him more or less now that you've read Once Burned? - I like him more. We get to really see what he's about in this book.
* Would you recommend the book to others? - Yes, I'd recommend this and all the Night Huntress & Night World book to people.
* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series? - I'll read the next in Vlad's series & the NH & the NHW series.

Another great book by Frost. I really like these characters.

KarenF (CleoCleveland) | 358 comments I read this over the weekend and just saw it was a BOM. :)

How would rate the character development and action?

I really enjoyed it. I particularly liked Leila and her journey. I found her more likable than Cat at the beginning of the series (by now I love Cat, but she had some anger management issues)

* What did you think of the world building?

I loved it. I've really enjoyed the NHW books in addition to the main series. I love how the world and the characters get more fleshed out as we see different POVs. Totally different series but I really liked that about Gunmetal Magic too.

* Have you read the parent series Night Huntress where the hero, Vlad, was first introduced?
-- If so, what do you think about him getting his own series?
-- Did you like him in the Night Huntress books?
-- Do you like him more or less now that you've read Once Burned?

Yes, I've read the series (except for some of the short stories). I've loved him in the NH/NHW books. I still enjoy his personality and arrogance here. But I have to admit I was put off a little by how torture happy he was. It's just a personal thing with me. He's a child of his age, I'm a child of mine. :)

Not really a quote or scene per se but I loved it when Leila would be thinking something naughty about Vlad and then she'd realize he could read her thoughts and she'd be like "well, crap".

* Would you recommend the book to others?

Oh yes, especially if people tried the NH books and didn't like Cat but want to give the author another shot.

Absolutely!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Once Burned (other topics)
Gunmetal Magic (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jeaniene Frost (other topics)