Ask Kelley Armstrong - July 31, 2012 discussion

Ask Kelley!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 313) (313 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Margo (new)

Margo (maothrockmorton) | 1 comments Mod
Welcome to the group! Kelley will be answering questions on Tuesday, July 31, 2012. In the meantime if you have a question for Kelley or just want to introduce yourself feel free to do so in this thread.

message 2: by Larissa (new)

Larissa (booknation) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Larissa of Vancouver, Canada and I'm a readaholic.

As an author when do you consider yourself to be a success? (Example: getting published, meeting a reader, winning an award, being a bestseller, selling the film rights etc.)

message 3: by Scratch (new)

Scratch (scratchbneath) | 4 comments Hi, I'm Scratch, a soon-to-be Chicago lawyer and aspiring author.

Most important question: What would it take to get you to continue writing books in the Otherworld universe after Thirteen? In the last year it has become one of my all-time favorite book series.

Minor questions: How exactly do Voudoun priests' powers work? Or magicians' powers? Also, what magical race was the female villain of No Humans Involved, that South African cult leader, descended from? And if druids' gods can choose to act or not act regardless of whether druids call them, what exactly are the druids' powers?

message 4: by Isabel (new)

Isabel Vazquez (Isabel_V) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Isabel of Salt Lake City, Utah and I am a HUGE fan of yours. I have read and own all of the Otherworld Series!!

I just notice on your site that you are coming out with a 3rd book of the Nadia Stafford series? Is that the name for the book "Nadia 3"?

Ps: Can the Otherwold Series be turned into a movie or a show? I am in love with Clayton and Jeremy..sigh!! I know the perfect actors who can play them ;D lol!!!

message 5: by Bron (new)

Bron Hi i'm Bron from Australia and i absolutely loved your Darkest powers series, and i was wondering how The Gathering fits in with these books?

message 6: by Scratch (new)

Scratch (scratchbneath) | 4 comments Are there ever any circumstances where a sorcerer/witch hybrid would be male? What about a magician/witch hunter hybrid?

Will you ever reveal the exact nature of the difference between magicians and sorcerers? Because I have been assuming magicians couldn't upgrade to sorcerer-level magic because they had no witch ancestry.

message 7: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (Sabbbbbbbytwin) | 4 comments High, im Sabrina and im a HUGE FAN OF YOUR WRITING!!!!! i constantly show my parents the otherworld series to get me, read darkness rising, and the gathering series!!! FAVE! I LOE YOUR BOOKS!!!

message 8: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (Bethyboo29) | 1 comments Love your books. I recommend them to all my friends! Just wondering, how do you come up with your ideas? They're amazing!

message 9: by Sandra "Jeanz" (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" Who is your favourite male character in the books from the Otherworld?

Who is your favourite female character in the books from the Otherworld?

Which 5 (was going to say 3 but didn't seem enough) of your characters from the Otherworld Series would you invite to dinner and a chat?

Do you have any new series "in the works" now the Otherworld has come to an end?

Is it really the Last we will hear of all the Otherworld characters?

Love all your books too, thanks for some brilliant reads! x

message 10: by Gemma (last edited Jul 20, 2012 12:15AM) (new)

Gemma (MrsH2009) | 1 comments Hi Kelley

Firstly, thank you for your Otherworld Series, they are my favourite books and books my partner has enjoyed too. So much so that when we have a little girl we are naming her after your character Elena :)

I wondered if you would ever consider having your books made into a television series or films?

message 11: by Somewhatbent (last edited Jul 20, 2012 12:23AM) (new)

Somewhatbent | 1 comments SomewhatBent in Seattle (Robbie to friends)

What books can you read again and again -- whether every few years or the 'if you were stranded on a desert island with 20 books in your $reader-of-choice' what would they be?

message 12: by Ingeborg (last edited Jul 20, 2012 01:07AM) (new)

Ingeborg (OxIngeborgxO) | 1 comments Hello Kelley
My name is Ingeborg and I'm from Belgium.
Like everyone here who read the darkest powers, I absolutely loved the series! Now if someone would approach you to make a movie ( or three movies) of the series and you could get to choose the entire cast, who would you choose?
Will your books (darkness rising) be available in Europe with the original cover?

message 13: by Jenny (last edited Jul 27, 2012 12:13AM) (new)

Jenny J | 2 comments Hey Kelley,
My name is Jennifer and I'm from New Zealand. I have read your Darkness Rising series. (Which everyone totally loves, :), and am excited for your third book.

My question: When I grow up I really want to be a YA author.(like my best friend Chelsea, in m.17) Do you have any tips or advice you could give me?

message 14: by Pang (last edited Jul 25, 2012 08:52PM) (new)

Pang | 2 comments Hi!! Kelley ^^ I'm Pang from Thailand :' ) I'm a HUGE Fan of Derek & Chloe ♥ ♥ ♥ love and miss them so much. Derek is my favorite hero all the time!! Thank you to create the fascinating character like him. ^___^

Would you write new YA novel after finishing Darkness Rising Series ?
Please!! I love your YA novels. Wanna read more. ^^

What is your inspiration of creating Derek/Chloe relationship ? hahaha actually love them!!

Finally, I love your writing to switch the moment between Simon and Derek with Chloe. It made me hook!!! I always wonder who Chloe end up with. At first, I think it is Simon. But then I'm sure it is Derek. Then Simon again. hahaha But, in the end Derek have stolen my heart!!! My favorite scenes are Derek and Chloe 's fights!! I read them so many times till I can remember the quotes hahaha!!

LOVE YOU ( my favorite author ) & THEM ( my favorite couple ) 4EVER :' )

message 15: by Summer (new)

Summer (Summer119) | 2 comments Hi Kelley,
I'm Summer form England and you're one of my favourite authors and I'm in love with the Otherworld series.

How do you feel now that the series has come to an end?

Also, who do you consider to be your favourite character and who was the most fun to write?

What inspired you to write this series?

I can't wait to read 13 but at the same time I really don't want it to end. Thank you for such an enjoyable set of books!

message 16: by Shiku (new)

Shiku Hi Kelley,

or rather: Hallo! I'm from Germany and so far I could only enjoy your Darkest Powers series and the first two Darkness Rising books. But some Otherworld novels are on their way to meet my shelves. I have no doubt I'll enjoy them just as much.

But what I also can't wait for (next to The Rising) is your new series, the Blackwell Pages. Wouldn't be me if could not also love middle grade fiction. ;)
Can you tell us anything more about this series than what was already posted in your forum/Publisher's Weekly?

message 17: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) Hi Kelley, I am from New Zealand and I LOVE your darkest powers trilogy. Like my best friend Jennifer earier in this discussion, I also aspire to write books. This is a pretty common question but...

Do you sometimes get writer's block? How do you get around it?

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma Hello Kelly! I'm Emma, and I live in Victoria British Columbia in Canada. I love your books!

Why did you decide to write YA?

message 19: by Richa (new)

Richa (cityofbooks) Hi Kelley! I'm Richa from Singapore and I'm a HUGE fan of your Darkest Powers series. I was wondering, will there be another related trilogy about supernatural experiment groups after The Darkness Rising ends?

message 20: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice (Bea96a) | 2 comments Hello Kelley!
My name is Bea and I'm from Sweden. I've read your Darkest Powers series and the first two books in the Darkness Rising series. They were all amazing! Can't wait for The Rising!

My question for you is: will your amazing books be translated into Swedish any soon? There's so many teenager that miss out to read your books here i Sweden just because they are too lazy to read them in English. Which is sad I think because the books are awesome!

message 21: by Leah (new)

Leah (uncorkedthoughts) Hi, I really enjoyed your Women of the Otherworld series and am looking forward to the third Nadia Stafford book. I was wondering what your next project will be now that Otherworld has come to an end?

message 22: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamayho) Hi Kelly!
My name is Ella and I'm from Hong Kong. I've just recently read finished reading The Summoning and you know what? You've become one of my favorite authors!

I was just wondering, what inspired you to write? Any tips on how to be a good writer?

message 23: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (goodreadscomllovely) | 1 comments Dear kelley armstrong,
Thank you for your Otherworld series its amazing, I have already read the series three times from the beginning.. I wish it wasn't coming to an end!! It seems like just yesterday I found your books!! My only question us will the hunter and the hunted ever not be an ereader but a real touchable book?? I love the smell of books my only grandfather read me smelled worn and used and cherished, they were passed down they the generations and I can't seem to give up that sense memory for an ereader!!
Thank you for your books and your time and most importantly creating memories!!

message 24: by Shona (new)

Shona Booky Ramblings of a Neurotic Mom (BookyRamblings) Hi Kelley, I only started reading the Otherworld Series last year and it has become a firm favourite of mine, taking pride of place on my bookshelves.
I have 2 questions..
Do you come up with the cover art for your books yourself?
If you were only allowed one book/series to read for the rest of all time, which would you choose and why.

Thank you for your time, both in writing and in answering our questions x

message 25: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Jernberg (thatnewbooksmell) | 1 comments Hello Kelley!
I'm Sofia from Sweden, and I absolutely adore your Otherworld series as well as the Darkest Powers and the Nadia Stafford ones. I can't wait to read Thirteen!

I was wondering, will there ever be a book explaining all the different races and everything that's hinted at but never fully explained? Like a 'History of the Otherworld', or a 'Races of the Otherworld'?

message 26: by Cheramy (new)

Cheramy (HerbyGirl) | 1 comments Kelley-
I really love your world and your characters are so real and appealingly flawed. What is your next project and will you be returning to the Otherworld universe later, or is Thirteen really then end?

message 27: by Kari (new)

Kari Hi, I am Kari of Groton, Connecticut. I absolutely love your Darkness Rising series. I can't wait for The Rising to come out.

What do you like to do when you are not writing? Do you read a lot?

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (japineapple) So, um, I'm Jessie, from Illinois. Bibliophile.
I was wondering... I heard you signed a deal to write 9 more books, and that 4 of them are going to be Maya and Chloe meeting. (One narrated by Chloe, the others Maya.) Is this true, or do I have it wrong? I always loved the Chloe/Derek relationship, and was hoping I could see some more of it. :]

message 29: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (TawnyBlueStar) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Rebecca. I love everything about your books. I've recommended Women of the Otherworld to almost everyone I know! And you are my inspiration to write my own stories, so thank you :)
~Where do you get your inspiration? Do other authours influence your ideas? Or something else?
~Would you make any more books with a historical character in? Like in Broken, you had Jack the Ripper. Would you add others?
x

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Collins (jlcollins) | 1 comments Hi Kelley,

I'm Jennifer from Halifax, NS. I had the pleasure of meeting you once during a reading and signing in Halifax a few years ago. I have been a big fan since Dime Store Magic debuted.

My question is: How big of a role will Adam play in '13'. Also, will we be getting a book on Adam alone? I just love him and I always feel like I don't get enough of him.

Looking forward to reading your answers to lots of interesting questions other fans posted.

message 31: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (14sward) | 1 comments Hey Kelley!
I'm Sammi and I've probably read The Darkest Powers series like 6 times and I really like the Darkest Rising..can't wait for the two groups to come together;)

I was wondering which character in either the Darkest Powers or Darkest Rising you find most enjoyable to write and which one is the hardest to write..and why if you could.
Thanks!!

message 32: by Apurva (new)

Apurva Pattela | 1 comments Hi, I'm Apurva, i loved your Darkest powers series and Darkness rising series. i read Calling recently and loved it.

what inspiring you while writing the books?

how do you come up such strong characters like Chloe and Maya?

what your next upcoming book?

what tips would you like give to aspiring young writers?
Thank you

message 33: by Eline (new)

Eline (JustaMistake) | 1 comments Hi Kelley!
I'm a 18 year old Dutch girl and I really liked reading darkest powers (read all 3 in just 2 days).

And I wanted to askes, how did you started to write? How did you become a published author. I really want to be a writer to, so could you give me any tips?

message 34: by Megan (new)

Megan Hi Kelly!

My name is Athena and I have read all of the Otherworld books and I love them!

My questions: In fantasy, many authors and readers stress the importance of worldbuilding and having "realistic" rules (ie, the magic has limits, rules that must be followed, etc.) How do you go about your worldbuilding? Do you have all the different magic/creatures planned out, giving one a strength that would give it an advantage against another? Do you try to keep the strengths balanced, so there's not one creature that is too powerful? How do you keep track of it all?

Thanks!

message 35: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1 comments Dear Kelley, for all of us lovers of your works who are sad to see the series end, what authors do you like to read that you would suggest we try next? Thanks.

message 36: by Mazzy (new)

Mazzy | 1 comments Hey Kelley! I’m Maz, still in school but love to write.

I was wondering if, even though the series is coming to a close, there will be any more books featuring the characters? maybe the Darkness Rising series?

I love your books!

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Ziko (indyziko) | 2 comments Hello Kelley,
Just wanted to know why is the Otherworld series ending?

message 38: by Alisha (new)

Alisha | 1 comments Hello Kelley,

My name is Alisha :) I'm from Hamilton ON.

Sorry if this question has been asked already but I was wondering if you would/have considered doing a series like the Women of the Otherworld but doing it with the Men. I really enjoyed Men of the Otherworld book but would love to see more eventually :D

Thank you for your time. You are so amazing!

message 39: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (paperbackd) Hi, Kelley. I'm Lucy, from England, and a huge fan of both Women of the Otherworld and Darkest Powers. I particularly love how distinct each of your narrators' voices are. Was it particularly difficult to write from so many different perspectives over the course of the series? And which of your narrators has been your favourite to write?

Another reason why I love your stories is that although it's fantasy, the Women of the Otherworld series is packed with social justice issues relevant in our world, such as Elena's storyline in Frostbitten as a survivor of sexual abuse, and her journey in dealing with the psychological trauma it left. Do you have any advice for wannabe-writers also wishing to tackle serious social issues in a realistic and respectful way? And as an author who has tackled these issues, do you think that books such as Frostbitten that include triggering scenes should be marked with clear trigger warnings?

And a lighter question: as there are so many different covers for each book of the Women of the Otherworld series, which covers are your particular favourites?

Thank you for taking the time to speak with your readers and although I'm sad that the series is ending, I hope Thirteen does as well as the rest of your novels and I can't wait to finally read it!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Hellooo!! KELLEY:D
I'm a big fan of ur writing and I'm so excited that u would be reading this .... Ur like one of my favorite authors.
I was wondering if u started writing the 3rd book the rise ?!!?! Any info about it would be great :) omg I can't believe ur going to answer back it's like WOW:o
Have u ever thought of making these books into a tv show or movie ??
That's all my questions and thx for ur time keep it up bye!!!!

message 41: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 1 comments Hi Kelley, I am a new fan of yours having only just started the Otherworld series but it's fantastic and among my very favorites!

Here's my question, are you a writer who plans and plots every detail of a novel prior to writing or do you prefer to fly by the seat of your pants and let the story develop as you go? Do you find that your characters sometimes take over your plans?

message 42: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Leek | 1 comments Hi kelley I am a superfan I have read all of your books and i was just wondering where your insperation and idea's come from.

from cassie leek mississauga ontairo canada

message 43: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Hai kelley
What is your favoriete book what you self wrote?

Suzanne (the netherlands)

message 44: by Cat (new)

Cat D-M | 1 comments Hello,
I looooooooooove all of your books.
I am dying to know what will happen in Nadia 3... do you know when a title/book description will be available? (Btw, I ♥ Jack and I hope he'll speak up before it's too late :D)
See you in Montreal Sept.15 (can't wait)
Thank you,
Cat (Ottawa, Ontario)

message 45: by Kim (new)

Kim Johnson (KimJohnson) Hi Kelley,

My name is Kim and I am an avid reader of your books. I love the Otherworld series and am so sad to see it coming to an end, but at the same time, I can't wait to read Thirteen! My question is will this really be the end of the series? Will we see the characters again in any of your other books or some sort of spin-off series? Thanks so much for answering and for your amazing books!
Kim (Maplewood, MN)

message 46: by Penny (new)

Penny | 1 comments I love all your series and read all the short stories on your blog before you came out with Men of the Otherworld. I like the idea of a history of the races and am hoping that the gathering/darkest powers will slide into the otherworld.
Are you going to focus mainly on YA books or do you have another adult series in mind?

message 47: by Monet (new)

Monet | 1 comments Hi Kelley, I have been enjoying your stories since Dimestore, so Thanks! I was wondering if you listen to music while you write, and if so, what your musical habits are while you're working. eg, do you binge on genres, or use it (music) to set a mood, or go back to favorites again and again?
Really enjoy the dialog and the sense of place you give us, and I do hope you are PLAGUED with more stories of the Otherworld to tell!

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (PurpleBookishQueen) | 1 comments Hi Kelley!

I LOVED your first two books in the Darkest Powers trilogy! I am going to be reading The Reckoning next. :)
You are a fantastic and creative writer! I adore your writing style and the characters, especially Chloe, are very well-developed. I love that you make every moment in your books filled with non-stop action! And when I think I know what will happen next, there is always a new surprise! Thank you Kelley Armstrong, for making such extraordinary and fabulous books! :) Thank you for giving me the opportunity to enjoy such spectacular books! Can you give me a few tips on how to write really good like you do? Thank you for your time and once again thank you for writing interesting and fantastic books for all your readers!

- Sincerely, Michelle

message 49: by Heather (new)

Heather Alexander (HeatherAlexander) | 1 comments I have read not only your adult books but your YA books as well. How hard was it to cross over into the YA field being that you have to be more careful about content? You did a fantastic job by the way.

message 50: by kpopfan (new)

kpopfan | 1 comments *~*♥Bron♥*~* wrote: "Hi i'm Bron from Australia and i absolutely loved your Darkest powers series, and i was wondering how The Gathering fits in with these books?"

Hi my name is Zeze and I agree with Bron Im a huge fan of The Darkest Powers series and was also wondering how the Gathering fits into all this and we'll we get to see more of Chloe,Derek and Sam in the near future?

Thanks.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gathering (other topics)
Bitten (other topics)
A Stolen Life (other topics)
The Shadow Rising (other topics)