Steampunk, New Weird, Bizarro, Scifi, Fantasy Book Group discussion

General Group Business > Nominations for August 2012 Bizarro Genre

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chakara (new)

Chakara | 2092 comments Mod
Hi all please nominate up to two Bizzaro books to read in August.

message 6: by Chakara (new)

here is a link that explains it as well as a list of authors who write bizarro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_...

message 7: by Chakara (new)

Etienne wrote: "John Dies at the End!!!"

this is both scifi and bizarro?

message 8: by R.A. (last edited Jun 29, 2012 05:11PM) (new)

R.A. Harris (LeakyLibido) | 7 comments hi everybody,

I nominate

Dr. Identity by D. Harlan Wilson
Dr. Identity
by D. Harlan Wilson
the first of his scikungfi trilogy of books

message 9: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatheterrible) | 278 comments D. Harlan Wilson is good. I warn everyone: bizarro is disgusting and offensive and utterly wonderful. I joined this group just for the Bizarro group read *hangs head in shame*. Anyway, CMIII is a staple, but I have the pleasure of knowing a couple Bizarro authors that are SPECTACULAR, but have not gotten much exposure. Im begging you guys...check out Hellhole West Virginia and The Big Book of Bizarro, and lemme know what you think. We, as a group, could totally jumpstart an author's career, have fun, AND get a taste about what Bizarro really is. Some Bizarro is so out there it may repel readers from giving it another chance. Let's start with something a bit mild (only in comparison, though) and try to help Rich Bottles Jr. gain the fandom he deserves!!!! CHECK IT OUT, AT LEAST: HELLHOLE WEST VIRGINIA, BY RICH BOTTLES JR.!!!!!

message 11: by Chakara (new)

Teresa wrote: "D. Harlan Wilson is good. I warn everyone: bizarro is disgusting and offensive and utterly wonderful. I joined this group just for the Bizarro group read *hangs head in shame*. Anyway, CMIII is a s..."

Hi Teresa is this book on goodreads? if so please give us a link so that others can check out the summary and see if they would be intrested in it. Also is it available as e books and in most book stores atleast? if not I can still add this book and author under our bizarro folder but if our members cant get a hold of it it wont be a very good group read.

message 12: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatheterrible) | 278 comments Sorry, Chakara! I'm on a tiny phone. I hope this works: http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/1.... Anyway, it IS in goodreads and Amazon, and I believe it is only about $10. However r I know Rich well enough to know he MAY be interested in distributing e copies or a group read discount, especially if we all agreed to read it. It's just getting my goat a little because I belong to the BizzaroBrigade, and am a frequent visitor of bizzaro blogs and such. Several of my friends on here and Facebook are aspiring Bizarro authors, and besides D. Harlan Wilson, I don't see one book nominated yet that could actually be considered Bizarro. It is a brand spanking new genre, and it prides itself on being offensive and WAY out there. Go to BizarroCentral on WordPress, and our group members should see plenty there to chose from. There are probably less than 25 Bizarro publishing 'houses out there, and several are offshoots of the most successful, Eraserhead Press. Some popular Bizarro titles are 'Rico Slade will.Fucking Kill You,' 'Seven Seagulls for a Single Nipple,' 'Genital Grinder,' ' Satan Burger,' 'Help! A Bear is Eating Me,' 'The Brother's Crunk,' and of course, 'The Big Book of Bizarro." These are all on Goodreads. While I LOVE Margaret Atwood, I think she would be appalled at Oryx and Crake being labelled Bizarro. Honestly, it is a kind of trashy, postmodern, disgusting and offensive type of literature. Perhaps we should try to find a REAL bizarro book that is available, through e-book format, because unless you are in Portland (where Eraserhead Press and it's offshoots are located), I don't think any major chain in the country would have any of these books on hand :-(. Some of the titles themselves are considered too offensive to put out, and the artwork is sometimes offensive to 'normal' people. Here, I'm specifically thinking of 'I am Genghis Cum,' which features a sperm caricature riding a penis horse. I thoroughly enjoy this genre, but I fear many willl not even give it a chance, and that is unfortunate. That is why I suggested something more mild, but an anthology could be a spectacular idea as well. Let me know what you guys think. Oh, and by the way...I didn't wanna just jump in for the Bizarro group read, so I have been attempting the other ones...Kraken has been sitting on my desk for a month :-( and I'm listening to Prof Moriarty on Audible now. Somehow I wasn't notified that that was June's pick. But now that I know, I'll be joining the group discussions more often now :-) Have a good one, everybody!

message 13: by R.A. (last edited Jul 01, 2012 05:03PM) (new)

R.A. Harris (LeakyLibido) | 7 comments If most people in the group don't know bizarro then I recommend one of the bizarro starter kits:

The Bizarro Starter Kit <- orange

The Bizarro Starter Kit <- blue

The Bizarro Starter Kit <- purple

they are all $10 I think (I'm British, so only know the British price (£6.66 o_0!) on amazon

@teresa - I only joined for the bizarro too! I second giving these authors as much exposure as possible. I was so happy when I discovered this genre, it gave me an outlet for my own creative urges, which I thought didn't have a home, until I found this genre!

I look forward to reading these books with like minded people, it can be difficult to find them,

Rob

message 14: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (DexKilo) | 1 comments I've been wanting to read Bucket of Face for a while.

message 15: by Mark (new)

message 16: by Chakara (last edited Jul 12, 2012 05:05PM) (new)

Teresa wrote: "Sorry, Chakara! I'm on a tiny phone. I hope this works: http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/1.... Anyway, it IS in goodreads and Amazon, and I believe it is only about $..."

Thanks for clearing this up Teresa. Popular vote will always win although if i get others intrested in reading more by a praticular author i wilk add it as a book read as well just so we get some variety . I dont mind doing this with this book or any other authors book as long as the group members are wilking to read and discuss it and it falls with in the genre we are reading for the month.

message 17: by Chakara (new)

Ok guys this is all the noms im taking so we can get the group poll up.

message 18: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Bridgen (MadelineBridgen) | 2 comments Bizarro is not out there just to shock and disgust people. It's a genre that takes weird fiction a step further, but it encompasses pretty much every part of sci-fi, fantasy and horror. The grossout, Carlton Mellick III books are the bizarro version of gore horror, but there is just as much stuff that relies on 'trippy' scifi, genre crossovers, and strange slice of life stories. My favorite is "The Greatest Fucking Moment in Sports," which is a perfect laugh riot. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 19: by R.A. (new)

R.A. Harris (LeakyLibido) | 7 comments where's the poll? August is nearly upon us!

message 20: by Chakara (new)

Sorry about the wait I can make someone else a Mod if they would like other wise its just me in charge of this group with thousands of members. I will try to tally up the Noms and get the poll up tonight. I will send out a message to you all once it is up.

message 21: by Shamus (new)

Shamus McCarty | 60 comments Madeline wrote: "Bizarro is not out there just to shock and disgust people. It's a genre that takes weird fiction a step further, but it encompasses pretty much every part of sci-fi, fantasy and horror. The grossou..."

I've been wanting to read

The Greatest Fucking Moment in Sports for a while now. That's my #2 choice.

Steampunk, New Weird, Bizarro, Scifi, Fantasy...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

John Dies at the End (other topics)
The Killing Moon (other topics)
The City & the City (other topics)
Finch (other topics)
Oryx and Crake (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

D. Harlan Wilson (other topics)