Shut Up & Read discussion

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
This topic is about City of Bones
Archives > City of Bones by Cassandra Clare - July

Comments (showing 1-50 of 50) (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Jun 30, 2012 11:01PM) (new) - added it

Sheri | 8486 comments Mod
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

Here are a couple of questions to get the discussion started. I haven't read this yet, so if you have any more questions to add, feel free!

What do you think of the characters, Clary and Jace?

What do you think of the world they live in? How about the Shadowhunters?

Feel free to discuss the book as you go, but please use SPOILERS for those of us who haven't gotten this far!!! (Check out the 'some html is ok' box above the post box for spoiler tags.)

Don't forget to enter the July BotM contest!
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 2: by Alice Belikov (last edited Jul 02, 2012 08:07AM) (new) - added it

Alice Belikov  First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 975 comments I LOVE Clary and Jace! Even though they are weird together(You will find out why when you read the book) I still think they are a PERFECT MATCH!!!! They just have an understanding between each other that they can't get from anyone else.

Simon Is one HOTT character! I don't understand how Clary can hang around him and not swoon over him. But yes, they have been friends since they were young so I guess I can understand......Wait...No I can't! He is just so SEXY :)

Magnus Bane I really enjoy most of the scenes with this snarky warlock. He is so funny and his personality has a thing for dry humor. I think readers will come to like Magnus as the books go by, he can't do anything but grow on you :)

Isabelle I love Isabelle, she is one fiesty character and she has that confidence that any girl could love. She is also kick ass and a person you want to mess with!

I adore this series and can't wait until I see everyone's comment on this book. The ending is crucial and I'm dying to see you guys' reaction!

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 387 comments Oh my gosh, by the time I got through the third book my head was spinning!!! I absolutely love this series. I think Jace is my favorite character, and is ridiculously hardcore too.

Martha  (theshortone08) | 159 comments This is a great book!!
I love Jace'S sarcasm.

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 355 comments When it comes to YA, I can either love it or hate it. It's like there's no middle ground. But I really, really liked this book. I was hooked once I started it. My 13 yo really liked it, too. She said, "You know, I'm starting to realize that the books with the hot guys on the covers are the ones that are always the most fun to read." Ah, yes...my kid is starting to take after her mom, lol.

Jace is a terrific name, too!

Tt (Never Ending Stories Book Blog) (books101) | 3767 comments Mod
I plan on reading this series when I have time. I didn't know it was being made into a movie! I'm so behind on all the mainstream books....

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 222 comments Same with me. There are so many books I want to read, and there are just as many non-mainstream ones as mainstreal that have caught my attention!

Tt (Never Ending Stories Book Blog) (books101) | 3767 comments Mod
Yzabel wrote: "Same with me. There are so many books I want to read, and there are just as many non-mainstream ones as mainstreal that have caught my attention!"

Yeah, I told myself that I have to give my Indie authors a break even though I loved some of the indie books I've read so far .

message 9: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - added it

This is only .99 on Amazon right now...
http://www.amazon.com/City-Bones-Mort...

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 185 comments Sheri wrote: "This is only .99 on Amazon right now...
http://www.amazon.com/City-Bones-Mort..."

At Barnes & Noble for the NOOK too. :)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/city-...

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 355 comments Cool! But I wish the others were on sale, too! Lol

Patty | 48 comments I've been meaning to start this series. Heard great things about it, plus heard they're making a movie. I have the first 3 books, just haven't started them yet. Glad I found this Series read along :)

message 13: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - added it

Michelle L. wrote: "Cool! But I wish the others were on sale, too! Lol"

I know I saw that....99 for the first one then over $10 for each one after. I guess it's a way to draw you in :)

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 355 comments Patty, you should definitely start the series! Sheri - ah well. Their little scheme worked...I'm officially drawn in, lol.

message 15: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - added it

Lol! I bought it too...they have the series at the library so I won't have to buy the rest, but for .99 I figured what the hey :)

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 355 comments Sheri wrote: "Lol! I bought it too...they have the series at the library so I won't have to buy the rest, but for .99 I figured what the hey :)"

Yeah, I ended up buying a copy, too, for my daughter, lol. My younger daughter already owns the paperback, but my older daughter made sad eyes when I told her the Kindle version was only a buck.

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) I started this last evening-got to about page 83. From page 1, I found myself looking at the copyright date and saying, "2007! It took me FIVE years to read this???!!!) So yes, I'm enthralled-wanting to read on but have been working on a beta read this AM and need to be reading library books also-especially the new ones that I surely won't get to renew. Luckily, several months back I bought print versions of both City of Bones and City of Ashes, from an online seller in my state who had bought them new, and needed to sell for bill-paying reasons, so it worked out very well. See? No spoilers necessary.:)) oh-so far, the only characters I "like" are Clary, Simon, and Hodge.

Shealea Iral (sarcastick) | 8 comments YES. I now have an excuse to reread this series! Yay. :)

Patty | 48 comments I just started City of Bones, loving it so far (I'm on page 130)! Very interesting and unique storyline. Can't wait to see what happens :)

message 20: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - added it

Photobucket

Movie set for August 23, 2013
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1538403/

Cast:
Lily Collins = Clary Fray
Photobucket

Jamie Campbell Bower = Jace Wayland
Photobucket

What do you think?

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 355 comments Nice!! I especially like Jace. The hair is perfect, and so is the smirk, lol. I had no idea it was being made into a movie, so now I'm psyched.

message 22: by Thomas (last edited Jul 10, 2012 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thomas (theu) Just finished Book 1. I must say I did enjoy it although at a distance. It never completely pulled me in but the author did a great job describing the various characters and 'downworlders' throughout the novel. The Nephilim characters, aka the kids at the institute, were believable personas and appreciated their developing bonds throughout the story. I'm not sure why people go crazy for film interpretations as reading the books is fine enough for me. I didn't know if I would finish the book after the first 30 or so pages but the story and draw definitely improved; I'm glad I was able to finish it. Now, I must decide between reading the second book of the series or read one of other July books..

message 23: by Michelle (last edited Jul 10, 2012 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 355 comments There was only one thing about CoB that bothered me and that was the (view spoiler)

Having said that, however, I still like the first book quite a bit and will be finishing the series at some point.

message 24: by Thomas (last edited Jul 11, 2012 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thomas (theu) How does a 15 year old get into a NYC club? Are there teen clubs in NYC? Aren't most clubs 21+? I know fake IDs are rampant but as a reader I was led to just accept the scenario. Having finished the novel, now I wonder.. lol

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 355 comments Thomas wrote: "How does a 15 year old get into a NYC club? Are there teen clubs in NYC? Aren't most clubs 21+? I know fake IDs are rampant but as a reader I was led to just accept the scenario. Having finished th..."

I had wondered that as well, but I figured, "Hey, it *is* NYC, after all!" It reminded me of the place the high school kids used to go on the TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was a coffee shop/night club.

Lauren (laurenjessecawdell) | 1 comments What do you think of the characters, Clary and Jace?

- I like them. They are both very interesting characters. I love Clary's strength and I love Jace's sense of humour and his bravery & selflessness.

What do you think of the world they live in? How about the Shadowhunters?

-It's amazing! The world Cassandra has created has so many layers. I just love it.

I can't wait to see the film. hopefully it will be good :)

S.L.J. (SammySLJ) | 28 comments I really wish this series had stopped at No. 3. The last two books haven't done anything for me. Haven't read TID yet tho.

Jenifer (jensamaha) I read this book (and the second in the series) at the beginning of the year. I love Cassandra Clare's characters!

I liked this book but not as much as Clockwork Angel (but I've been told that's because I read Clockwork Angel first lol).

I was going to read City of Glass, but I guess I'll wait so that I can read it along with all of you. <3

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 355 comments Jenifer wrote: "I read this book (and the second in the series) at the beginning of the year. I love Cassandra Clare's characters!

I liked this book but not as much as Clockwork Angel (but I've been told that's ..."

I've wanted to read Clockwork Angel as well. Is that a YA book, too?

Jenifer (jensamaha) Michelle L. wrote: "Jenifer wrote: "I read this book (and the second in the series) at the beginning of the year. I love Cassandra Clare's characters!

I liked this book but not as much as Clockwork Angel (but I've b..."

Yes, it is. :)

Antoinette (Nette09) | 69 comments I just started this book and I am loving it. I kept walking by these series on the bookshelves every time I go to the bookstore. Thanks you guys for picking this book to read along because I would have kept walking by, and totally miss out on a great series.

Jaime (Jaimez10) | 11 comments *****Spoilers****

It seemed like it took me a while to read this book. It wasn't such a page turner for me until I was more than halfway through the book. My favorite characters were Jace and Magnus Bane. I loved Jace's sarcasm and funny one liners and I wanted to see more of Magnus Bane. I thought he was a great character.

What turned me off towards the end was finding out (SPOILERS) that Clary and Jace were siblings. I was really hoping their romance would blossom. So I am not sure if I should continue reading the series or not. I would hate to give up on book one.

What to do?

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 355 comments Jaime wrote: "*****Spoilers****

It seemed like it took me a while to read this book. It wasn't such a page turner for me until I was more than halfway through the book. My favorite characters were Jace and Ma..."

That was the same response I had. I think I will continue with the series, but I didn't care for that part at all.

Patty | 48 comments @Jaime & Michelle: I agree, that twist in the storyline was not very appealing... It made me a little sick. Without giving it away (view spoiler) But still - I didn't like it and could've totally done without that.

Jaime (Jaimez10) | 11 comments Thanks Michelle for the spoilers tip. I am new to this and will try to figure it out next time. lol!

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 355 comments Jaime wrote: "Thanks Michelle for the spoilers tip. I am new to this and will try to figure it out next time. lol!"

No problem! I love using those spoiler alerts, myself. It makes is seem like I know what I'm doing, lol.

Jaime (Jaimez10) | 11 comments I will probably continue to read the series since I have to know how it ends and I really like Jace. I am sure Simon plays a big part in the next 2 books. Right now I am on Matched and I really like this one so far.

Antoinette (Nette09) | 69 comments I just finished the book and overall I really liked it. Even though I am curious to find out where Hodge went, and what is Mangus Bane's motive of healing Alec?

Rebecka | 367 comments Antoinette wrote: "I just finished the book and overall I really liked it. Even though I am curious to find out where Hodge went, and what is Mangus Bane's motive of healing Alec?"

I got the feeling there was an attraction b/t Mangus and Alec...

I just finished this yesterday and, like others have said, I'm not pleased with the little plot twist b/t Jace and Clary. I really like Jace's sarcasm and can't wait for the next book.

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 355 comments Rebecka wrote: "Antoinette wrote: "I just finished the book and overall I really liked it. Even though I am curious to find out where Hodge went, and what is Mangus Bane's motive of healing Alec?"

I got the feeli..."

(view spoiler) I was okay when I read the first book, but when I saw that brother/sister theme twice in about three months, I'd had my fill.

I didn't even like it back when it happened in Star Wars, lol.

Irene (Raenne) My favourite characters are Isabelle and Alec. They're just...loveable!

I liked the Clary/Jace twist. Think it was a brilliant move from the author.

I'm curious to learn more about Luke as I like him, but I think there's more to him than meets the eye... Am I alone on that theory?

Also... Wow! That actor is SO Jace! :D

Michele Miller (Chelemybelles) | 43 comments I have read all of the books and can say there is soooo much more in store for you all. FYI, the series was supposed to be a trilogy but then the publisher wanted her to write more (if I recall they asked for a spin off of some sort). She decided instead of a spin off she would just keep going with all of the characters together and expanding their individual stories. That's why there are six books.
I personally like Clockwork better (only by one star) but again I read those first and I love historical romances a lot. Happy reading!

Belkis (bminaya) | 556 comments Finished reading City Of Bones and really liked it a lot. Love the witty banter, dry humor and sarcasm throughout the dialogue :) Simon is such a great character! So down to earth and straight forward. Clary is a very likable character. And Jace is brilliantly complex. The story is fantastic with all the twists and turns. Love the firecrackers that are the twins Alex and Isabelle. They had me laughing out loud so many times. And oh my goodness Magnus Bane! He's just a hoot. Can't wait for the movie! Or for us to read the next book next month :)

message 44: by Antoinette (last edited Jul 22, 2012 07:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Antoinette (Nette09) | 69 comments Rebecka wrote: I got the feeling there was an attraction b/t Mangus and Alec...

I just finished this yesterday and, like others have said, I'm not pleased with the little plot twist b/t Jace and Clary. I really like Jace's sarcasm and can't wait for the next book. /i>

Yea I agree with Magnus and Alec thing. And I didn't like the twist either between Jace and Clary. And I adore Jace, he is so cute in a badass way.

message 45: by Caitlyn (last edited Jul 23, 2012 03:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caitlyn (CaitlynJ) I finished City of Bones today and I was pleasantly surprised, I pushed myself to at least start reading because I saw there was a read along. My expectations weren't high and that helped because I don't think it's a fantastic book but it isn't that bad either and my 15 year old self would probably have loved it. The first part of the book was really hard to get in to but gradually a few intriguing events occurred which made me curious enough to continue.
Part of what made it hard at the beginning to get into the book was the characters especially Clary, I didn't like her. It's difficult to emphasis with self-obsessed teenagers after all.
The world building was another problem as at the beginning not everything is explained completely and eventually many things are elaborated on but there are these moments where it just felt holey. The balance between revealing information but not bogging it down is delicate and it didn't work for me.
(view spoiler)
I may continue the series, it's not a must for me I just wasn't drawn in enough, but if Clare's writing improves she might have a successful series on her hands.

message 46: by Mere (last edited Jul 24, 2012 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mere (starsintheireyes) As I am new to this group I wasn't aware that this book was a botm, but luckily I read it anyway due to an insistence from a couple of friends.
Quite frankly, I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was good and the world is developed, but it just didn't live up to my expectations. Despite this disappointment, I continued onto City of Ashes-City of Lost Souls, and though the series picked up with City of Ashes, it began to lose traction with the end of City of Glass (3rd book).
However, I thought that the plot behind the series was excellent, and the thought that went into the plot is very apparent in the later books. Not only the plot, but the characters as well; I found myself falling in love with them all: Isabelle, Alec, Magnus, Simon, Luke, Jace, Clary, and that was only helped by the sequels.
The one thing that annoyed me throughout the entire series was the constant affirmation of Jace's good looks; to be honest, it reminded me a little of Bella Swan's obsession with Edward Cullen, and that irked me.
Overall, good book, great plot, less-than-great sequels.

Brandy Nacole (BrandyNacole) | 176 comments I love when a book makes me laugh out loud and that's what this book did. I think Jace's sarcasm really brought this book more life (not that it didn't have plenty already). This series is great. Loved it!

Susan Cartwright (susancartwright) I kind of feel like I did when watching Buffy. The humor was the same. Quite a fun YA read, no swearing, no sex. It has a few surprises, too. Quite a pleasant read, not too deep - no brain strain. A holiday read I think.

Nikki Jefford | 8 comments Just bought the 3-book box set of this. Are the covers not gorgeous? Had to go print and not eBook on these. I'm just missing the group read, but can't wait to start the series next month!

Cari (troupecb) | 8 comments I really enjoyed this book. Of course I picked it up at a horrible time because I've got so many other things I need to work on, but I was hooked after the first few chapters. Although I loved this book, I had to give 4 stars because I really did NOT like the twist with Clary and Jace, as others have said. That being said, I still plan on reading the rest!!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Switched (other topics)