The Sword and Laser discussion

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 17 comments Hi I'm Nicole and I'm a big reader of fantasy and science fiction but I was wondering how do you get audio books. I get bored on the bus on the way to university and sometimes music isn't enough and I always get a headache when reading on bus.

what websites can you get audio books because I have no idea where to look.

Thanks for commenting if someone comments

message 2: by Kim (new)

message 3: by Gord (new)

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 345 comments I use Audible.com too. They're bigtime sponsors of podcasts, so check for deals as well. (I'm thinkin' maybe Sword & Laser, perhaps? ;)

You can also get Audible books through Amazon.com, since they own Audible.

message 4: by Tassie Dave (last edited Jun 25, 2012 11:02PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 800 comments Also available through the iTunes store but they are more expensive than audible.
http://www.audible.com has the best selection.

Use Tom & Veronica's link for a free book.
http://www.audiblepodcast.com/sword

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 653 comments Audible dot com is the internet's leading provider of spoken word entertainment with over one hundred thousand downloaded titles to choose from.

Head on over to audible dot com slash sword and start your free trial membership.

(Damn, the sponsorship advertising works...)

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 404 comments Alex wrote: "Damn, the sponsorship advertising works..."

It's stuck in my head too and I don't even like audio books.

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 17 comments hey thanks guys

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments For anyone looking for an audible alternative, there's a small and reasonably priced Canadian outfit called Iambik that I've bought some off.

And they're drm free, which is nice.

message 9: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3049 comments Books Should Be Free which is a lot of open source stuff.
Blackstone Audiobooks for the ones they produce/publish.
AudiobookStand for a variety of random things.
Tantor for a variety. I believe they are MP3 download instead of shipping discs.
GraphicAudio if I'm not mistaken does a bunch of full-cast stuff.
And there's always Podiobooks.

And if you don't mind physical media, your library probably has them, too...

message 10: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) Many libraries also offer digital audio books. You can check them out online if you have a compatible MP3 player or software.

I've also been quite lucky at garage sales. They're often cassette tapes, but I just rip to digital and then stick the tapes in a box with all of the others. :)

(Yes, I know. technically this is questionable, but I don't share, I have purchased, I don't get rid of the source material, so I don't feel guilty.)

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Why should it be questionable? Platform shifting for personal use is totally legit.

message 12: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1501 comments If you look around you can also find a deal that gives you Audible membership at a 50% discount for the first 3 months. $7.49 a month, which works out as a better deal if you there for the long haul and not just for the single freebie.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 185 comments Another thing that works if you're looking for audiobooks, since Random brought up libraries, are standard and secondhand retailers that have any sizeable book section and sometimes even ones that don't. Best Buy, Walmart, Meijers, Barnes & Noble, Half Price Books and, if I remember possibly Disc Replay have audiobooks.

message 14: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) | 334 comments Audible ends up being one of the most cost effective ways to get audiobooks. They offer so many sales throughout the year that I've gotten way more value for my buck.

My favorite sales are the first in a series sales. :)

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 17 comments uuummmmmmmm.......guys i'm from australia. i can access audio books online and the local library but all the ones which jonathan mentioned shop wise are a no go

message 16: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 185 comments Something that might work is ordering directly from the publisher. At the very least, the major publishers should have a site that allows for buying directly from them.

message 17: by Rik (new)

Rik | 559 comments My library. I check out books on CD all the time and then copy them to my Ipod. The only downside is the selection of fantasy / sci fi tends to be limited to the major authors.

message 18: by Christian (new)

Christian | 14 comments As long as you in the US or UK it's fine, but other countries can't buy all the books they like.
(as example: most of the Dresden Files Novels and The Magicians aren't available for international customers)

message 19: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1334 comments Local library, unabridged cd.
Copy to ipod classic

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 17 comments probably a dumb question but how do you put the audiobooks into ipod or iphone

message 21: by Christian (new)

Christian | 14 comments audiograbber-> mp3 file->mp3-player/ipod

message 22: by Warren (last edited Jul 03, 2012 06:09AM) (new)

Warren | 1334 comments Nicole wrote: "probably a dumb question but how do you put the audiobooks into ipod or iphone"
The easiest way is to import in through iTunes.
Once it's on your computer it should be easy to sync.
If your space limited, rip it as as a MP3 (192)
I find that MP3 is fine for audio books.
(You only really need Apple lossless for music)
Good luck.

message 23: by Katiarai (new)

Katiarai | 5 comments Nicole wrote: "probably a dumb question but how do you put the audiobooks into ipod or iphone"

Also depending on where you got your audiobook from you can download the Audible or Overdrive app. Overdrive is who a lot of libraries go through for downloadable audiobooks.

Out of curiosity has anyone tried audiobooks.com? They picked up some press earlier this year because they use a Netflix like membership.

message 24: by Joshua (last edited Jul 04, 2012 10:59AM) (new)

Joshua Black (b1gBLACK) | 19 comments Nicole wrote: "probably a dumb question but how do you put the audiobooks into ipod or iphone"

If you go through Audible, they have a nice API that automatically transfers Audible downloads directly to your iTunes library once opened. Just follow the instructions from Audible when you first set up your account.

It usually takes me less than 2 minutes (download time) from confirming a purchase to syncing with my iPhone.

message 25: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1334 comments You rip the audio book to itunes. Just like you do music.
(Or buy the book online.) Drag any audio file into itunes.
1.Highlight the entire collection.
2.Right Click your mouse.
3.Select "info". (You can also add a picture of the book. Bottom left corner)
4.Then select "options". (Top right menu)
5.Change media kind from Music to Audiobook.
You'll be given several other options as well. (Make sure you select "remember position" or the book will start at the beginning each time you play your iphone/ipod.)
6. iTunes will transfer the book from music to audiobooks.
It's now in your library under books. (top left and menu)
7. If you drag the book into your play list and it will automatically load
the next time you sync.

message 26: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 17 comments what about mp3 audiobooks onto itunes?

message 27: by Warren (last edited Jul 05, 2012 12:23PM) (new)

Warren | 1334 comments Nicole wrote: "what about mp3 audiobooks onto itunes?"
Same thing. Just drag them into itunes.
Those are actually easier to load then ripping 17 cds.

message 28: by R.H. (new)

R.H. Watson (rh_watson) | 45 comments I skimmed down the messages, so sorry if someone already mentioned Project Gutenberg. You can get text, ebook, and audio versions of public domain books.

message 29: by Casey (new)

Casey Hampton (caseyhampton) | 652 comments I have a question:

Does anyone know where to buy Wil Wheaton's Just a Geek: Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise in the audio format? I've checked his website but the link he provides is broken and I can't find a store or web site where I can legitimately pay and download his book with him as narrator..

Can anyone help?

message 30: by April (new)

April Sadowski (aprilsadowski) | 3 comments You might try checking into your library. If they don't have any in the library, they might be affiliated with a digital collection (mine uses OverDrive).

message 31: by Casey (new)

Casey Hampton (caseyhampton) | 652 comments April wrote: "You might try checking into your library. If they don't have any in the library, they might be affiliated with a digital collection (mine uses OverDrive)."

Good idea but my library doesn't have it.
Thanks though.

message 32: by Mohrravvian (new)

Mohrravvian | 98 comments As a side note for Audible.com fans, I have found that the same exact book bought through Amazon.com tends to be at least $5 cheaper. And what's strange is when you buy it, it still takes you to Audible.com for the actual purchase, but with the lower price.

message 33: by Troy (new)

Troy Patterson | 9 comments Mohrravvian wrote: "As a side note for Audible.com fans, I have found that the same exact book bought through Amazon.com tends to be at least $5 cheaper. And what's strange is when you buy it, it still takes you to Au..."

I think that only works if you're not an audible member. The price on Amazon is between the full price on Audible and the 30% discount rate for audible members.

Example: Redshirts is 19.95 on Audible, but 13.96 for members. Amazon lists it at 17.95. So shop by Amazon if not a member, but members should always go to audible for accurate prices.

message 34: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 17 comments Scott wrote: "There is a trick to putting mp3 audiobooks on iTunes/iPod. Once you have imported it into iTunes, change its iTunes file type. Go to the "0ptions" tab in the "Get Info" menu and change the file t..."

so I do it every file and is there an easier way to highlight it all and do it in one go?

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 17 comments also how do you get them into chronological order rather than out of order

message 36: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3049 comments So iTunes has a feature I never knew about today, makes audiobooks a ton easier to do. It's called "Join CD Tracks." When you insert the CD, do that, and then import the disc on spoken word settings (32 mono/64 stereo), then change the properties to be a book...much simpler than fussing with each track individually! I learned about it at ilounge.com: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/arti...

message 37: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4702 comments I wish you could do that with mp3's...

message 38: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 381 comments terpkristin wrote: "Books Should Be Free which is a lot of open source stuff..."

Do you know how the quality of this site's books compares to Librivox?

message 39: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3049 comments Philip wrote: "Do you know how the quality of this site's books compares to Librivox?"

Couldn't say, sorry...as with most things, I think it's hit and miss.

message 40: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 381 comments terpkristin wrote: "Philip wrote: "Do you know how the quality of this site's books compares to Librivox?"

Couldn't say, sorry...as with most things, I think it's hit and miss."

Thanks, it looks like a cool site- I'll check it out for any public domain books my libraries don't offer.

message 41: by Leesa (last edited Sep 16, 2012 03:03PM) (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) | 334 comments Casey wrote: "I have a question:

Does anyone know where to buy Wil Wheaton's Just a Geek: Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise in the audio for..."

I would contact him directly on the contact link on his blog. I have the audiobook but I don't recall buying it from Lulu, but rather through another website affiliated with the producer.

message 42: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1570 comments Tamahome wrote: "I wish you could do that with mp3's..."

Use MergeMP3. Its free and can hook into itunes as well.
http://download.cnet.com/Merge-MP3/30...

It runs into problems if you have too many MP3s at once - but it can still do fair chunks. Then you can merge those chunks after. I normally then change the mp3 to audiobook manually in itunes. Add to the library, right click and use "get info" and you can change to be recognized as an audio book in there. You can then use the audible app to read it.

message 43: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4702 comments Thanks, David.

message 44: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (Biddywink) | 23 comments terpkristin wrote: "So iTunes has a feature I never knew about today, makes audiobooks a ton easier to do. It's called "Join CD Tracks." When you insert the CD, do that, and then import the disc on spoken word setting..."

Thanks for the info, terpkristin! This will be super useful for me.

message 45: by Rose (new)

Rose | 3 comments I get my audiobooks from my local library. They have audio books on CD's that I can rip and put on my iPod and they have digital audio books I can download from the library's website. Gotta love the city library lol

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Just a Geek: Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise (other topics)