Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2009 Challenge Archive > January Monthly Challenge: Participants' List

Comments (showing 1-50 of 75) (75 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jan 13, 2009 04:35AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Since I've started this almost in the middle of January, instead of our usual 10 books a month, our categories for January will only be five.

Here they are:

1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long.

2. Beginnings: Read a book that is the first in a series.

3. Tournament of Roses: Read a book that has a name of a flower in its title.

4. Winter Season: Read a book that has a word that starts with "W" in its title.

5. Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African-American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or in a Southern state

You can pick 3 categories or all 5, depending on your own reading speed, book availability or time to commit.

The goal of our challenges is to enjoy reading, a little push to get on with it, but not to be a burden and remove the fun out of our favorite activity.

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Wow those are some very unique ideas!

message 3: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments LOL..Well, I can't entirely claim originality with the concept. I've seen different book challenges in another site, and thought it would be fun, to have our own.

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Some of those are going to be hard hehe

message 5: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jan 31, 2009 09:00PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments I know what you mean, Tricia...LOL..

Here is my list:

1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long.

The Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockmann - finished 1/31/09

Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey(first book in her Harper trilogy) - finished 1/14

Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris - finished 1/28/09

4. Winter Season: Read a book that has a word that starts with "W" in its title.

Wicked Ties by Shayla Black - finished 1/25

5. Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African-American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or in a Southern state.

Love Potion by Sandra Hill (set in Louisiana) - finished 1/19/09

Will put in the other titles, once I find a book that fits...

message 6: by Melissa (last edited Jan 31, 2009 06:15AM) (new)

Melissa | 1194 comments O.K. I'm officially done with the challenge. I just made it by the deadline!

1. New Year Challenge:The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison (finished 1/31/09) * * * * *
(I still can't believe I waited so long to read this. This is still one of my very favorite series.)

2. Beginnings: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (finished 1/28/09) * * * *
(So glad I finally read this one. I've put book two in my February challenge list and I can't wait to read it, as well as book three that just came out.)

3. Tournament of Roses: Chasing Lily by Dixie Kane (finished 1/22/09) * * *

4. Winter Season: A Winter's Tale by Trisha Ashley (finished 1/23/09) * * * * *

5. MLK Day: Heart of Stone by C.E. Murphy (finished 1/14/09) * * * *

message 7: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Great list, Melissa. All categories complete. I'm still struggling with mine...and I came up with the categories...LOL..figures..LOL

message 8: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Jan 30, 2009 05:46AM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) 1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long.

Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black ( 2 out of 5 stars)

Marked( House Of Night) by P.C. Cast (3 out of 5 stars)

White Lies by Jayne Ann Krentz ( 3 out of 5 stars)

5. Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African-American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or in a Southern state.

Betrayed by PC Cast ( 3 out o 5 stars)

message 9: by tosca (last edited Jan 13, 2009 01:00PM) (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments 1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long: Simply Perfect by Mary Balogh 8 Jan 2009.

2. Beginnings: Read a book that is the first in a series: Dante's Blackmailed Bride by Day Leclaire 10 Jan 2009

3. Tournament of Roses: Read a book that has a name of a flower in its title: Amaryllis by Jayne Castle 10 Jan 2009

4. Winter Season: Read a book that has a word that starts with "W" in its title: Ultimate Weapon by Shannon McKenna 7 Jan 2009

5. Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African-American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or in a Southern state: Living Large by Rochelle Alers 12 Jan 2009 and/or The Choice by Nicholas Sparks 13 Jan 2009.

message 10: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Great list, Tosca. Can you mark the ones you have officially read? Maybe make it bold or put a date.

Also, you can put a brief review when you are done on our Monthy Challenge Review Thread if you feel like sharing opinion.

I will be checking the Participants' List every 5 days and every book that has been read I will put on our group shelf.

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) | 1969 comments I will read through the threads carefully but just for quick ref. Is there a certain way to post when your reading? From what I have seen you post the title and author of the books under the theme. I think this is going to be so awesome. I am reading a few books right now. I will see if I can join this month thanks! i LOVE cool things like this.

...back to reading the posts....

message 12: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Welcome Kenjii! Just copy the category, put your book title and author, you can also say if you are currently reading or when you are done..you can put a date..just like that.

You can do all 5 categories..or you can pick how many you feel like doing.

Next month, I will be posting 10...but everyone has the option of picking the number that is doable for them.

message 13: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Jan 17, 2009 09:39AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments 1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long. Destiny Kills, Keri Arthur 01-15-07

4. Winter Season: Read a book that has a word that starts with "W" in its title. Dance with the Devil, Sherrilyn Kenyon

So my list is lacking atm ROFL, I am going to have to really see what I can find to do this!

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) OMG...this is in addition to the 9 book challenge going on in the PNR group?!! You're killing me...LOL. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

message 15: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments LOL....death by books...LOL...tell that to the one who will be doing the autopsy...LOL

No...you don't have to do all categories...You can just pick the one you have the time, the book, and the commitment...

message 16: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Jan 13, 2009 12:02PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments LOL, thats the way I want to go :)

Ok well maybe not.. Sex with one of the guys in these books perhaps! :)

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Just one Tricia? I want all of Anita and Merry's men...then I could die happy :)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments lol This is true.. I would take them all!

message 19: by Kasia (last edited Jan 24, 2009 09:25AM) (new)

Kasia Hehe, so this is my easy way out:

1. Has been in my TBR pile for too long:
The Histiorian - Kostova
2. First in a series:
Rice, Anne - Vampire Chronicles 01 - Interview With The Vampire
3. Has a name of a flower in its title:
Charlaine Harris & Toni L P Kelner - Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
4. Has a word that starts with "W" in its title:
Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
5. Ok, so Wolfsbane and Mistletoe, qualifies for the Martin Luther King Day theme as well ;D

wow! all 3 done. It actually felt a little like a chore. I mean I wanted to read those, they were sitting in my TBR pile... but they turned out to be not much fun :( only Wolfsbane really had it's moments.

message 20: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Kasia wrote: "Hehe, so this is my easy way out:

1. Has been in my TBR pile for too long:
The Histiorian - Kostova
and, or Interview With The Vampire
2. First in a series:
Rice, Anne - Vampire Chronicles ..."

Naughty Kasia...LOL...it's one book per category...you have to decide which category you want that book to be...

Still, this is all for fun..and as I said..you can read 1 -3- 5 books...really depend upon you.

Kasia Thank, I do realize that ;D

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 22, 2009 06:18PM) (new)

here is my list i am working on this month.

1. New Year Challenge: Betrayed by P.C. Cast

2. First in a Series: The Blood Books by Tanya Huff ...

and iknow this doesn't fit in but i am going to read the mammoth book of paranormal ...

my goal is to read 3 right now.

message 23: by MK (Food actvist) (last edited Jan 27, 2009 11:50AM) (new)

MK (Food actvist) (Daalmonette) | 1969 comments 1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long.

2. Beginnings: Read a book that is the first in a series. Brothers in Arms: The courage to love read 1-09

4. Winter Season: Read a book that has a word that starts with "W" in its title. Witches of Dixie, The read 1-09

5. Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African-American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or in a Southern state The Hunted read 1/09

message 24: by LibraryLass (last edited Jan 31, 2009 12:14AM) (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments 1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long. Sacred sins - Nora Roberts - Read 30 Jan

2. Beginnings: Read a book that is the first in a series. Dark lover - J. R. Ward - dipping toe in water of this type of paranormal romance (Twilight series got me) - Read 26 Jan

3. Tournament of Roses: Read a book that has a name of a flower in its title. Blue Dahlia - Nora Roberts (could cheat and use this for beginnings as well but rather would defeat the purpose eh?) - Read 17th Jan 09

4. Winter Season: Read a book that has a word that starts with "W" in its title. When the snow fell by Henning Mankell

5. Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African-American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or in a Southern state. Rosa Parks and Her Protest for Civil Rights: 1 December 1955 Dates with History

message 25: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Great lists, guys.
Stephanie, 3 books is fine...as I've said before,we pick the number of books we want to commit..

LibraryLass,
I love Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I hope you will enjoy Dark Lover. I've read Blue Dahlia, its my fave among the three in that trilogy.

Tiffany (Shigyrl30) | 27 comments I will be joining the challenge I just have to figure which book I am going to read.

message 27: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Welcome Tiffany. When you are ready, just post the categories you've selected and the books you are going to read under it.

message 28: by Moderatrix Lori (last edited Jan 21, 2009 06:29AM) (new)

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Okay, I'm cheating and going to add some of the same books that on my 9 in Jan 09 challenge that our beloved challenge queen started in the PNR group. Don't have anything for 3 & 5 but if I finish all 9 books, I'll look for a couple that fit the bill.

1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long. Dark Prince

2. Beginnings: Read a book that is the first in a series. Slave to Sensation

5. Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African-American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or in a Southern state. Wolf Tales

Lara | 109 comments What a fun challenge. I am so excited about it. A reason to read. Like I needed one. LOL! Now let's see...what to read...Wow. This is harder than I thought. It is going to take me some time to come up with these books. LOL!

message 30: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments LOri,

Feel free to use books you've put in other challenges..LOL...that is quite fine...I will do it myself, if it fit the category.

Lara,
I admit this was a little tougher than I thought...even I am struggling with books to find...and I made the categories up...LOL..February will be easier I think..LOL..but its all fun.

message 31: by Nikki ♥ (last edited Jan 28, 2009 07:36AM) (new)

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments 1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. (Read)

2. Beginnings: Read a book that is the first in a series. Beneath A Blood Red Moon by Shannon Drake (Read)

3. Tournament of Roses: Read a book that has a name of a flower in its title. Amanda Rose by Karen Robards (Read)

4. Winter Season: Read a book that has a word that starts with "W" in its title. Wild Card by Lora Leigh (Read)

5. Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African-American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or in a Southern state The Cajun Cowboy by Sandra Hill. (Read)

message 32: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Time for a group update. So far we have 11 people who have signed up for our challenge. Thanks guys for participating.

Jael -
Kasia -
Kenjii - 1 book done
LibraryLass -
Lori -
Melissa - 1 book done
Nikki -
Stephanie -
Tosca - 5 books done...Congratulations!
Tricia - 1 book done
Yz - 1 book done

So far we have read a total of 9 books for this challenge. Ladies, feel free to add your completed books to our group bookshelf.

Great job, everyone.

Next update will be on the 20th.

message 33: by Lara (last edited Jan 22, 2009 03:22PM) (new)

Lara | 109 comments 1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Return to Me by Shannon McKenna ...read 1-18-09

2. Beginnings: Read a book that is the first in a series. Wild Card (Elite Ops #1) by Lora Leigh...read 1-16-09

3. Tournament of Roses: Read a book that has a name of a flower in its title. Red Lily by Nora Roberts

4. Winter Season: Read a book that has a word that starts with "W" in its title. Whisper No lies by Cindy Gerard...read 1-20-09

5. Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African-American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or in a Southern state. The Firm by John Grisham...read 1-22-09

4 down 1 to go! Yay!

message 34: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Lara,

Have you finished reading all 5 books or are you just listing them down for now?

Lara | 109 comments Sorry. Finished one. Return to me. Starting the other 4.

message 36: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments No problem...Just put a date after the book when you finished to help me keep track.

We are just half of the month, so we have plenty of time to read.

Have fun..Great list, too...and yes, I think Memphis is in the South, definitely.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 15, 2009 07:26PM) (new)

i am getting there on my reading. i am reading a little slower this month. i was sick at the beginning of the month so im slacking.. don't know y.. by this time i usually have 2 books done. ans working on number 3. weird. ugh.. so this is weird to me.. i think as long as i finish one i will be happy then next month work that months books..

message 38: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments no worries, Stephanie. Just get well, and enjoy whatever book you are reading. The challenges are simply meant as motivation, not some required work that you need to get done even if you don't want to.

message 39: by Tiffany (last edited Jan 23, 2009 09:53AM) (new)

Tiffany (Shigyrl30) | 27 comments 1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, out with the old: In TBR for a long time

2. Beginnings: Read a book first in series:

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer: Finished on 1/23/09

3. Tournament of Rose: Read a book with a flower in it's title:

4. Winter Season: Read a book that has a work that starts with "W" in its title:

Wolf Tales by Kate Douglas

5. Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African-American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or Southern State

Fast Forward by Celeste Norfleet: Finished 1/16

message 40: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Glad to have you, Tiffany. Just put a date after the book when you have completed it. Next update would be on the 20th.

Have fun reading.

message 41: by Amanda A (last edited Jan 30, 2009 04:40PM) (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 206 comments 1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas (finished 1/29/09)

Welcome to Serenity by Sherryl Woods (finished 1/5/09)

message 42: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Welcome aboard Amanda. Have fun with the challenge.

message 43: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 21, 2009 08:55PM) (new)

Cheryl (cheryllaflammegmailcom) | 86 comments 1. New Year Challenge,,In with the new, Out with the old:Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long.
Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison

2.Beginning: Read a book that is first in a series
Second Sight by Amanda Quick

3.Tournament of Roses: Read a book that has a name of a flower in it's title
A Scent of Roses by Judy Gil

4. Winter Season: Read a book that has a word that starts with "W" in its title
Edit: "To Tame a Highland Warrior" by Karen Marie Moning. Finished 1/21/09

5.Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African- American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or in a Southern State

Long,Tall Texans by Diana Palmer

I am just getting started. I will put dates when book is finished

message 44: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Good selection, Cheryl. Have fun reading.

message 45: by Annie (last edited Jan 26, 2009 07:10PM) (new)

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) 1. New Year Challenge: In with the new, Out with the old: Read a book that has been in your TBR pile for so long.
My TBR read is currently full of New Zealand children/teens books - and manuscripts for same!
If limited to romance, the only one there is Flat-out sexy by Erin McCarthy. I cleaned out my TBR pile by returning everything to work (ie the library) my first day back after the New Year holiday!
I've now read Flat out sexyRead 26 Jan.
And finished my boxes of manuscripts... the New Zealand children's & teens books are a continuing saga.

2. Beginning: Read a book that is first in a series
Tempt me with darkness by Shayla Black. Read 19(ish) Jan.

3. Read a book that has a name of a flower in it's title:
Revenge of the rose by Nicole Galland.Finished 27 Jan.

4. Winter season: Read a book that has a word that starts with "W" in its title.
Wild card by Lora Leigh read 20(ish) Jan

5. Martin Luther King Day: Read a book that has an African- American character in it or read a book that is set in the South or in a Southern State
Gods in Alabama by Joshlyn Jackson.
Changed my mind and read When the black girl sings by Bil Wright. Finished 26 Jan.

May not get around to reviewing, because that's what I do for work & I'm over it at the moment - sorry!

message 46: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Annie,

No need to do a review. Also, although most of our books are predominantly romance, you can actually put any book from whatever genre, as long as it meets the category description. Sounds fair?

message 47: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jan 21, 2009 07:53AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments Time for a group update.

Jael - 1 book done
Kasia - 2 books done
Kenjii - 2 books done
LibraryLass -
Lori -
Melissa - 1 book done
Nikki - 3 books done
Stephanie -
Tosca - 5 books done...Congratulations!
Tricia - 2 books done
Yz - 2 books done

Those who have joined the challenge since the last update.

Lara - 3 books done
Tiffany - 1 book done
Amanda -1 book done
Cheryl -
Annie - 2 books done

So far we have read a total of 25 books for this challenge. Ladies, feel free to add your completed books to our group bookshelf.

Great job, everyone.

Next update will be on the 26th.

P.S. Lara, Can you mark the book you have completed?

Lara | 109 comments Yz,
I have updated my list. On my list of books on my page and on my list above. Sorry. :) If there is anything else I need to do, just let me know.

message 49: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8922 comments No problem..just making sure I have the right numbers..

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) Yz wrote: "Annie,

No need to do a review. Also, although most of our books are predominantly romance, you can actually put any book from whatever genre, as long as it meets the category description. Soun..."

Thanks for that Yz! It's a load off my mind. I'll try and keep it to romance novels - but the occasional teen or children book might slip through!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Destiny Kills (other topics)
Dance with the Devil (other topics)
Slave to Sensation (other topics)
Dark Prince (other topics)
Wolf Tales (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Keri Arthur (other topics)
Sherrilyn Kenyon (other topics)
Henning Mankell (other topics)