Q&A with Glenn Cheney discussion

I Know This Much Is True
This topic is about I Know This Much Is True
Welcome

Comments (showing 1-10)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

Glenn Cheney (GlennCheney) | 19 comments Mod
Lewis Lapham wrote editorials for Harper's magazine. I thought of him b/c I'm reading "Democracy 101," a set of essays from Harper's, and he wrote one of them. It's good. Ebook only.

Louis (nash62) | 9 comments I read Coming Into the Country for a modern Western history class and loved it. I own Annals of the Former World; the size intimidates me but I fully expect to be entranced by it too. I read Didion's Where I Come From for a California history class and liked it quite a bit. Not sure if I've read any Lapham or Hoagland.

One of my favorite nonfiction works was written by a novelist, Son of the Morning Star by Evan Connell. He uses a stream of consciousness approach to Custer and the Little Bighorn that ends up being a solid history of the Indian Wars and Native-white relations in the West. It probably doesn't dovetail too well with your writing but I found it quite entertaining.

Hemingway's good, of course. I also like the nonfiction of John McPhee, Joan Didion, Lewis Lapham, William Hoagland, some others I can't think of, sometimes for their short sentences, sometimes for the beauty of their long sentences.

Louis (nash62) | 9 comments I have discovered over the years that something I enjoy will take time to get through because I have to allow for my flights of the imagination while reading. Sometimes they even lead to stopping to write down a quote or an idea in my journal. Bad writing (if the idea for the book was sound) can also be helpful; the book I just finished yesterday is a good example. It took me two months to finish in spite of the subject matter being of interest to me. At a certain point I started to read as an editor, thinking about anecdotes that slowed down the narrative or felt like unnecessary diversions. That kind of thinking can only help my own writing.

Re: your sentences. Did you read writers like Hemingway who write short sentences? Do you have any literary references that guided you by example? I trust you didn't read much Faulkner and his long sentences full of diversions.

Reflecting just now on this question, I can see various reasons why I became and (the bigger question) continued to be a writer. None of them related to my difficulties reading except one. I have a hard time reading because I have a hard time focusing. If a piece of writing is any good, it sets off my imagination, and off I go. One day (in college) I realized that my wayward imagination might actually be a good thing to have if I'm trying to write.

My difficulty reading also inspires me to write for people like me, people who need to be constantly gripped by the writing. So I write short sentences of short words and lots of images. Consequently some of my writing for adults is interesting even to young teens. I take this to be a great accomplishment.

Louis (nash62) | 9 comments So I take it that's why you became a writer?

Though it just so happens I know Wally Lamb (a little), I've never read any of his books. Too long and dense for me. I'm a lousy reader.

Louis (nash62) | 9 comments OK, but you can talk about it if you need to do so.

Please note that I have no idea why this topic says "This topic is about I Know This Much is True." The discussion isn't about that.

Welcome, my Goodreads Friends. I'm very glad to see that you're interested enough in my books, or in the topics i write about, to join a discussion. Please be assured that I am eager to see your questions and comments. I'll be glad to answer any questions on any topics, even topics that have nothing to do with my writing or writings. (If I can't think of anything to say, I'll at least say so.)

unread topics | mark unread