SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Old, Closed Posts > July-Sept Sci-Fi Northern Summer Read

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (last edited Jun 24, 2012 06:54AM) (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments This month we're looking to set up our first "Northern Summer" read.

What we're looking for is a Science Fiction series of books. We will read one book a month for three months (if our series is a three parter), and it will replace our usual Member's Choice book during the Northern Summer. Come December we'll start our Southern Summer series.

The books we choose can include a book that we've already read as a group. We've started plenty of series and then stopped after the first book, so this is a perfect opportunity to get cooking and keep cooking with a series we've already partially enjoyed.

So here's the way it's going to work:

--we need seven nominees.

--to make things easy all you need do is nominate the first book in the series. We'll know what you mean from there.

--nominations are confirmed by a first nomination and a second. Goodreads authors can nominate their own books (but they have to stick around for the discussion if they win).

--everyone has one nomination and one second.

--the first seven qualifying nominations will make up our list of books (some nominations could be disqualified for a number of reasons: inappropriate for the theme as judged by me, the author is already represented in our nominees, etc.).

--nominations should appear as follows; please include the book and author links (and this is my nomination):

Cosmonaut Keep, by Ken MacLeod

message 2: by Peggy (last edited Jun 24, 2012 07:23AM) (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments All excellent nominations thus far. Any seconds?

Michelle (fireweaver) | 315 comments warchild has been on my TBR for a good while on strong recommendation, so I'll second that one.

how about Hammered by Elizabeth Bear

Kathy (Kathy_H) | 73 comments Peggy wrote: "Titan, by John Varley."

I'll second this one.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 542 comments Second Cosmonaut Keep.

message 10: by Snarktastic Sonja (last edited Jun 24, 2012 01:11PM) (new)

Adam (adamosterholt) | 6 comments Second Equations of Life.....seems quite interesting.

Benjamin (beniowa79) | 302 comments Greyweather wrote: "Nominating Crystal Rain by Tobias S. Buckell"

Seconded.

Everitt I'll second 'Ender's Game', and I would like to nominate Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

message 17: by Kim, The Zinoviev (new)

Kim (shirezu) | 704 comments Mod
I'll second Island in the Sea of Time

message 18: by Kevin (last edited Jun 24, 2012 06:38PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 789 comments Everitt wrote: "I'll second 'Ender's Game', and I would like to nominate Foundation by Isaac Asimov."

I'll second Foundation because it was my first nomination before I changed it to Ender's Game. Its the book that set the standard for all science fiction especially for series. Its also the first scinece fiction book that Orson Scott Card read when he was 16. So it had a big influence on him.

Banner | 165 comments How about Live Free or Die? I'm in the middle of the first one now and finding this very entertaining.

Julie (jmlovesbooks) | 40 comments How about Beguilementby Lois McMaster Bujold or is that again not science fiction enough?

I'd also be interested in re-reading Downbelow Station and Merchanter's Luck but I'm not sure what to add for a 3rd as they are more linked books in a shared universe rather than a series.

Greyweather | 225 comments Banner wrote: "How about Live Free or Die? I'm in the middle of the first one now and finding this very entertaining."

Seconded

Richard (ThinkingBlueCountingTwo) | 235 comments I'll second Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh.

According to the Goodreads list there are 7 books in the Company Wars series, so should keep us busy for a while if chosen.

message 24: by Kim, The Zinoviev (new)

Kim (shirezu) | 704 comments Mod
From what I understand we're doing a maximum of three books.

message 25: by Richard (last edited Jun 25, 2012 03:39AM) (new)

Richard (ThinkingBlueCountingTwo) | 235 comments Kim wrote: "From what I understand we're doing a maximum of three books."

Sorry Kim, I was just going on Brad's first post, which said:
What we're looking for is a Science Fiction series of books. We will read one book a month for three months (if our series is a three parter)

I took that to mean longer series were welcome. I'm still keen to read Downbelow Station though as it's been on my TBR shelf for quite a while now, wherever we have to stop.

Cecile | 34 comments Richard wrote: "Nominate :

Helliconia Spring by Brian W. Aldiss"

I second Helliconia.

Aaron Gallaway | 15 comments Well, it looks like we have about 12 books seconded, so we'd probably better stop so Brad can whittle these down to 7.

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments Sorry everyone. We had a chance for an unexpected vacation and took it, and I just snagged some internet access today.

While longer series like Ender and Foundation were not unwelcome, the fact that we have plenty of trilogies, which creates a nice symmetry for the length of this first ever Northern Summer Read, means we're going to stick with the trilogies.

If the first two of these reads are popular (Northern Summer and Southern Summer), then we can talk about finding a monster series and reading it all the way through.

Sorry I disappeared like that. I thought I would have internet access where we were going and didn't. Off to create the poll.

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments Okay, here's the poll friends. Sorry it is so late and all. Sorry, sorry, sorry (Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!), but at least the three books in three months will be a touch forgiving.

Go vote! I will be back to normal service in three days.

Banner | 165 comments Hey Brad, just checking did Live Free or Die not qualify?

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments It was just edged out by Reap the Wild Wind, Banner. If we'd had eight nominees it would have been in. Sorry about that.

Banner | 165 comments Got you. Thanks.

Jason | 5 comments Well I don't know if it's too late, but here is my nomination.

Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue

Three books, three months, perfect fit!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cosmonaut Keep (other topics)
Titan (other topics)
Crystal Rain (other topics)
Island in the Sea of Time (other topics)
Warchild (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ken MacLeod (other topics)
John Varley (other topics)
Tobias S. Buckell (other topics)
S.M. Stirling (other topics)
Karin Lowachee (other topics)
More...