Read by Theme discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What We're Reading > July 2012: A Blue Cover

Comments (showing 1-50 of 414) (414 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Dec 28, 2013 03:42PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments Polling for July's theme has ended, and the winner is "A Blue Cover"! That means it's time to choose a book for you to read the upcoming month; if you're going to comply with the theme, you can tell us what you've chosen here, and remember to link to the book so others won't have to hunt for it if they want to check it out.

If you want to discuss the book with others who have chosen it, remember to create a new thread and attach the book to it!

Can't think of a book with a blue cover and don't like the sound of any of the books the other members are reading? There are plenty of Listopia lists that can help!

Books With The Blues
books in blue
Best Book with Blue on Cover
Am I Blue? YA & Adult Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Covers
Light Blue
YA Literary Blues
...and many more

If you simply can't stand the thought of reading a book with a blue cover, head on over to the Theme Rebels folder and tell us about what you're reading instead.

And don't forget to vote on August's theme.

Happy reading, everyone!

message 2: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Jun 26, 2012 10:44PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments I actually bought an anthology of that whole series a few months ago (for $0.25 at a local thrift store, so how could I say no?) Haven't had a chance to read it yet, so I look forward to hearing what you think. :)

I'll be reading The Gemini Man, which I got a few years ago at the library for a few cents; it's been hanging around on my shelf for far too long, and it's the first blue-cover book I grabbed, so... I'm hoping it isn't horrible. If it's too horrible, I'll probably switch to something else.

Candace | 59 comments I will be reading The Lovely Bones. I had it in mind when I voted for the "blue cover" theme. It's another that I found on the clearance table at my local used book store.

Cindy | 13 comments I've decided to read The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I started reading it while I was sitting at the circulation desk at work.We'll see how it goes.

Leann I went through all my "to-reads" and decided I would give The Brightest Star in the Skyby Marian Keyes. I absolutely love the way she can bring you tears one moment and laugh out loud the next. I have read her Walsh Family series and LOVED them so we'll see how this one is.

Carmen | 1 comments I just joined the book club.. So for this theme I'm reading Summer in the Land of Skin by Jody Gehrman..

Jackie | 5 comments For July's theme, I think I am going to read Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye. Blue on the cover, blue in the title, and I don't know why I've never read it before...

Emma Elizabeth (emmaeliza) | 4 comments I'm reading "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins, it's the third book in the Hunger Games series

message 9: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments Shichiyou wrote: "I'm going to read By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho. (I know that the photo of the book on Goodreads doesn't have a blue cover, but Czech translation does.) I'm looking forwar..."

Is the Czech translation not in the system? If not, I (or you, if you'd like to try) can add it in. :)

Susan Rutherford-Estes | 2 comments I am going to read Outlander by Diana Galbadon. It is the first book in her Outlander Series.

Ana | 17 comments I am new to this group and I'm super excited! I love that we don't just read one book, but I have a question. How do you chat about what you read if no one else read it? I am going to read The Shifter by Janice Hardy.

message 12: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Jun 28, 2012 03:39PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments Ana wrote: "How do you chat about what you read if no one else read it?"

Here are three examples of such a case. As you can see, it's not a perfect method by any means, but... ;) (And welcome to the group!)

Ana | 17 comments Oh ok, thank you I think I'm going to have a lot of fun in this group. Thank you for clarifying that for me!

message 14: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments You're quite welcome. :)

Kim (catmommie) I'll be reading: Abraham Lincoln  Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith and State of the Onion (A White House Chef Mystery, #1) by Julie Hyzy

message 16: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Jun 28, 2012 04:36PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments I definitely look forward to hearing your opinion of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. :)

And in reference to some of the comments further up in the thread, The Lovely Bones and Outlander are both on my to-read list; depending on how much free time I have this month, I might try to give one or both of them a go, too. (Mockingjay's on my to-read list, too, but the library waiting list is way too long for me to even dream of reading it before the end of July.)

Francine | 2 comments I couldn't decide which one to read since all three have varying shades of blue (and my color blind husband kept telling me to stop choosing purple covers..no, seriously he is color blind) so I will read all three. They are Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me by Chelsea Handler, Divine Misfortune by Lee Martinez and The Demon Lover by Juliet Dark.

Daniela | 56 comments I had to make a list from which to choose because I read really quickly and am extremely indecisive. Starting with The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne. After that may be one or all of the following:

The Odyssey

Starship Troopers

Queen of the Damned

Bit of an odd list, I know, but there you have it.

Leann Susan wrote: "I am going to read Outlander by Diana Galbadon. It is the first book in her Outlander Series."

Bibi and I were actually looking at that one in the bookstore. I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Ana | 17 comments I changed my mind and I am going to read Radiance by Alyson Noel.

Carol Harrison Cindy wrote: "I've decided to read The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I started reading it while I was sitting at the circulation desk at work.We'll see how it goes."

I just bought this book at a book sale, and think it would be a good blue-covered book to read in July!

Marie-Claude aka MC There are quite a few books on my 'to-read' list that have blue covers... I'm not quite sure where I want to start! LOL

So it'll be between these:
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
Divergent by Veronica Roth

Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver
Delirium by Lauren Oliver

The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass
The Selection by Kiera Cass

We shall see how it goes, maybe I'll be able to read all of them... ;)

Rachel | 22 comments Well I just joined this group today and am figuratively smacking my forehead as I just read two books in a row with blue covers! (A Discovery of Witches and On Chesil Beach) Had I known I would have saved one of them. It'll take me a few days to find another one now.

Melanie (aka Serial Reader) (akaSerialReader) | 14 comments I'm standing here looking at my bookcase and I see David Baldacci's The Innocent - the sky's blue, the water's blue, the characters are a blue haze, so I'm claiming that one as my July read. Has DB been a theme already? I see a couple of others, but this is my newest DB novel.

message 25: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments Melanie wrote: "Has DB been a theme already?"

A complete list of all our past and suggested future themes can be found here. ;)

Rachel | 22 comments Ok, I decided to try something that I've been avoiding and has been on my bookshelf untouched for over a year, The Motion of the Ocean: 1 Small Boat, 2 Average Lovers, and a Woman's Search for the Meaning of Wife. I bought two books out of a bargain section (The Motion of the Ocean being one of them)and the other one was absolutely terrible and I have been (hopefully unfairly) taking it out on this book. But the cover is completely blue so I am going to give it a try. The Motion of the Ocean  1 Small Boat, 2 Average Lovers, and a Woman's Search for the Meaning of Wife by Janna Cawrse Esarey

Caren ~ the misfit geek (caren41) I am currently reading The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain for a challenge in another group and it has a blue cover. Two birds with one stone:)

Melanie (aka Serial Reader) (akaSerialReader) | 14 comments Amara wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Has DB been a theme already?"

A complete list of all our past and suggested future themes can be found here. ;)"

Thanks Amara!

message 29: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Jun 29, 2012 05:11PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments Melanie wrote: "Amara wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Has DB been a theme already?"

A complete list of all our past and suggested future themes can be found here. ;)"

Thanks Amara!"

You're welcome! And you can suggest themes here, if you have ideas. :)

Melyooo | 2 comments I'm thinking The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell and maybe also A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness

Rachel | 22 comments Melyooo wrote: "I'm thinking The Reapers Are the Angels by Alden Bell and maybe also A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness"

I just finished A Discovery of Witches, and it was REALLY good! I normally stay away from fantasy themed books but I absolutely loved this one, so if you do read it I'll be interested to see what you think.

Katlin zotti (katie-kate) | 4 comments I've decided to read dreamland and/still Alice..how do you link the books to a post?

message 33: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments Katlin wrote: "I've decided to read dreamland and/still Alice..how do you link the books to a post?"

To link to a book within a post, click the "add book/author" button above the comment box.

To link a thread to a specific book, type the book's name in the box beside "This topic is about".

message 34: by Cate (last edited Jul 01, 2012 12:39AM) (new)

Cate I'm going with The Bellwether Revivals. It's got a very dark blue cover. I started it last night and am already hooked.
The Bellwether Revivals

message 35: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Jun 30, 2012 03:53PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments Cate wrote: "I'm going with The Bellwether Revivals. It's got a very dark blue cover. I started it last night and am already hooked."

Hope you like it better than your bird cover, then. ;)

Morgan (mogil) I'm reading three books with blue (or sort-of blue) on the covers: The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James Dashner Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

Eric (SoulFlower1981) I am reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green for this for sure since I am reading it for another group as well. We will see if I find something else as well.

Marie-Claude aka MC Morgan wrote: "I'm reading three books with blue (or sort-of blue) on the covers: The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James DashnerCrossed (Matched, #2) by Ally CondieDivergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth"

Did you already start Divergent? I heard many great things about this series... I'm starting to get curious and I think it's what I'll be reading first! =)

message 39: by SteinFussel (last edited Jul 01, 2012 12:43PM) (new)

SteinFussel | 6 comments I'm gonna read "Der Schrecksenmeister" by Walter Moers. His books from the wonderful Zamonia are amazing and got me addicted... :)

message 40: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Jul 01, 2012 01:03PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments Interesting! I look forward to hearing your opinion of it; I might want to add it to my to-read list. I don't read enough literature from non-American authors.

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 9 comments I just joined the other day, and plan to read The Yard for my blue cover. I've also got to fix shelves for the 100 book challenge and 50 book challenge; already read over 3oo in the first 6 months, so I'll just need to go through the month-read shelves.:)

message 42: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Jul 01, 2012 01:03PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) | 679 comments Mallory Anne-Marie wrote: "I just joined the other day, and plan to read The Yard for my blue cover. I've also got to fix shelves for the 100 book challenge and 50 book challenge; already read over 3oo in the first 6 months,..."

I've got to do some fiddling with mine, too, as a matter of fact. At the moment, my 2012 shelf is a mixture of legitimate novels and a bunch of picture books, and one of these days, I'm going to have to go through and move the picture books to their own shelf.

Morgan (mogil) Marie-claude wrote: "Morgan wrote: "I'm reading three books with blue (or sort-of blue) on the covers: The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James DashnerCrossed (Matched, #2) by Ally CondieDivergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth"

Did you already start Divergent? I heard many ..."

I just started it! It's not what I expected but it's starting to get interesting (:

Kate Cygan | 1 comments Candace wrote: "I will be reading The Lovely Bones. I had it in mind when I voted for the "blue cover" theme. It's another that I found on the clearance table at my local used book store."

it's incredible. you will like it so much. it's one of my favorites!

Marie-Claude aka MC Morgan wrote: "Marie-claude wrote: "Morgan wrote: "I'm reading three books with blue (or sort-of blue) on the covers: The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James DashnerCrossed (Matched, #2) by Ally CondieDivergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth"

Did you already start Div..."

LOL I don't even know what to expect... Teehee. I hope you enjoy it, I think I will start it tonight. I'm finishing Fifty Shades of Grey and will start my book the July theme right after! =)

Eric | 2 comments I've decided to go with book 1 of the 13th Reality series by James Dashner. The Journal of Curious Letters (The 13th Reality, #1) by James Dashner. Having read and enjoyed his Maze Runner series (despite booking one dragging a little), I'm excited to start on this.

Amy (TerzahCain) | 40 comments I meant to post my June yesterday but forgot. I never finished my June pick since another book came and stole me away. Since the book that grabbed me has a little blue in the cover, I'm sticking with it. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society has won my heart. I'm nearly done with it though. So after I post my "discussion" in the right section, I'll probably pick another.

Kim - I've read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. A long time Lincoln fan I was on a rampage when I first saw the title. But after reading it, I was very pleased at how true to history the author remained while filling in the historical "blanks" with juicy vampire fiction. What a great way to get kids to read history.

Marie-Claude aka MC Amy wrote: "I meant to post my June yesterday but forgot. I never finished my June pick since another book came and stole me away. Since the book that grabbed me has a little blue in the cover, I'm sticking ..."

Oh the Lincoln book is now on my to-read shelf, thanks to you. I LOVE history, but rarely read history book because I find them quite boring... Throw in a vampire story though and I'm ALL IN! I will read this someday, for sure! =)

Amy (TerzahCain) | 40 comments Marie-claude wrote: "Oh the Lincoln book is now on my to-read shelf, thanks to you. I LOVE history, but rarely read history book because I find them quite boring... Throw in a vampire story though and I'm ALL IN! I will read this someday, for sure! =) "

Glad to be of help. Another one you might try is
Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History or anything by Eric Larson. His books aren't as exciting, perhaps, as vampire slayers, but he definitely picks fascinating bits of history out of time and expands them well. OH! And a must read if you like history and the macabre is The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York! Its one of my favorites!

message 50: by Melissa (last edited Jul 01, 2012 07:34PM) (new)

Melissa | 179 comments I look forward to the Lincoln book as well. My pick is The Adventurer by Jayne Ann Krentz.

I can't get this cover to come up in the post for it though. I needed a blue book in one of my other challenges and its one I've had in my to read stacks.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.