Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter Abraham Lincoln discussion


334 views
Book or Movie ?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 76) (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Wallace Been waiting for the movie since I read the book. Very disappointed. I had hoped for better.


Andrew Allen If you had not read the book, would you have liked the movie? There is a lot that was left out, and some that was added from left field. In my opinion the director and producer caved to the influences of vampire wars and sparkly vampires (and of course lots of others) rather than sticking to the book but as a standalone entity the movie was still entertaining. Is this movie in my top 100? No. Is it a movie worth watching, I think so.


message 3: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Wallace Andrew wrote: "If you had not read the book, would you have liked the movie? There is a lot that was left out, and some that was added from left field. In my opinion the director and producer caved to the influen..."I agree with everything you say except the last sentence...for me it was a waste of time.


Andrew Allen Chuck wrote: "Andrew wrote: "If you had not read the book, would you have liked the movie? There is a lot that was left out, and some that was added from left field. In my opinion the director and producer caved..."

I guess thats why I have watched things like "Kung Pow", to me everything has some value, except maybe the movie "Vampires Suck".


Natalie I think the book and movie were too different from each other to be comparable.
the only thing that was the same from the book to the movie, was that it's about abraham lincoln killing vampires. that's pretty much it.


Katherine I was not impressed with the movie. It did not follow the book. They got the main plot, but there were so many important sub plots that they left out.


Verity Brown The author wrote the screenplay, and I actually deeply admire him for recognizing that what works in a book is not the same thing as what works in a movie. Hearing people whine about how a movie was different from the book is actually one of my pet peeves. They are not the same medium at all! Books allow for lots of exposition, details, and delving into the thoughts of the characters. Movies have a very limited amount of time in which to convey the story, and that story must be conveyed visually and with limited amounts of clearly comprehensible dialogue. Particularly in the case of this book--which was a faux scholarly biography, not a novel--a movie that tried to cling too closely to the text would have been deadly dull. If you go into the movie with the expectation that, while the basic premise is the same, the details are extremely different, you're less likely to be disappointed.


Tracy I thought the movie was shockingly bad. Mary Lincoln takes a group of slaves to Gettysburg with silver bullets? I would believe Lincoln really WAS a vampire slayer before that!


message 9: by Angel / YA rules!/ (last edited Jul 15, 2012 05:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angel / YA rules!/ ugh! i was curious how they would make the movie after reading the book because although it wasn't as action packed at least it felt like i was going through history (with vampires in it). but, after seeing the movie, i wish i didn't read the book so i could've atleast enjoyed the movie (and not waste my money) which i didn't... i hated henry in the movie, whom i love in the book, bottomline, they took everything in the book and changed everything... and i don't even remember Will & Adam at all or were they a part of the book i forgot? all i know is that if they were part of the book they weren't as significant as they made them out to be in the movie...


message 10: by Angel / YA rules!/ (last edited Jul 15, 2012 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angel / YA rules!/ Verity wrote: "The author wrote the screenplay, and I actually deeply admire him for recognizing that what works in a book is not the same thing as what works in a movie. Hearing people whine about how a movie wa..."

normally, i keep an open mind when watching movies based on books... and though for others there were minimal changes or some that were not highlighted which were an important part of the book... but NEVER, have i seen quite a difference... granted that he wanted the movie to be exciting... but change how the characters are altogether... that's too much. example: henry and how he helped abe in the book... in the movie, he was portrayed as the guy who kept on telling abe not to fight, what was that about? he depicted henry as spineless which he supposedly wasn't. if he wanted action then that would've been the best part, vampires against vampires... which was in the book.


Syntax787 oh my goodness that movie was horrible!!! the book was great. i do not understand why they turned it into such a mess. someone should slap the people who wrote the screenplay for this, and punch womever said it should be released into the theaters.


message 12: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy Syntax787 wrote: "oh my goodness that movie was horrible!!! the book was great. i do not understand why they turned it into such a mess. someone should slap the people who wrote the screenplay for this, and punch wo..."

I think the author wrote the screenplay :-/


Syntax787 now thats just sad. =(


Anela Hands down, the book. I didn't care for the movie at all. They left to many things out from the beginning for me to ever understand why Abraham was doing this - had I not read the book prior to seeing the movie I would have had nothing to draw from in order to sympathize with Abraham's character. The movie had so much potential! Wasted potential, and the entire "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter Theme" was essentially lost on me because in my opinion the BOOK only deserved that title while the movie could have been named "Random President, Killing Bad Guys with an Axe for ...... well, we don't really know why until they get his son".


Angel / YA rules!/ i know it's petty but i'm also upset that they didn't use my favorite lines from the book... =(


message 16: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim I was really disappointed with the movie. I thought the book was pretty good, though I didn't like the biograpy approach, and told a good story. I was interested to see how they told that story in a movie because I thought the story in the book would do well in movie form. I thought it would remain more true to the book, a la Hunger Games, given that the author wrote the screenplay. However, it was clear the only thing in common between the two was the title and the main theory. It was pretty must like the director said "we like the idea of Lincoln fighting vampires, now go right a completely different story". I listened to the audiobook and it had an interview with the author afterwards. He stated he tried very hard to keep as close to history as possible but for the movie, they apparently said "screw history". They also made Henry the exact opposite of how he is in the book. Based on the author's commentary at the end of the audiobook, I feel like he sold out to Hollywood to get his book made into a movie and garner a big payday rather than stick to a well-developed, unique, original story.


message 17: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Wallace James wrote: "I was really disappointed with the movie. I thought the book was pretty good, though I didn't like the biograpy approach, and told a good story. I was interested to see how they told that story i..."

I agree completely...a good book became a bad movie do to greed.


message 18: by Kathleen (last edited Jul 28, 2012 07:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen Harsch I read somewhere that the author realized his book did not have a climax, how you don't know that as an author, I don't know; however, when he wrote the screen play, he knew he had to add it in. My opinion is both the book and the movie could have been better. I thought it was kind of a cool premise until I realized that the author was blaming slavery on vampires. Really? Way to pass the buck! Not cruel humans, who wanted to make lots of money off the subjugation of a whole race, but to some non-human entity. Humans can be horrible. Why pass it off to vampires? I'm sorry, I just thought it was a good concept made stupid and oversimplified a whole time period.


 Linda (Miss Greedybooks) Verity wrote: "The author wrote the screenplay, and I actually deeply admire him for recognizing that what works in a book is not the same thing as what works in a movie. Hearing people whine about how a movie wa..."

Indeed!


Cindi Book, definitely! I can't believe they changed the ending - that was the best part of the book. Disappointing.


Tracy Cindi wrote: "Book, definitely! I can't believe they changed the ending - that was the best part of the book. Disappointing."
So right! The ending was so perfect, so creative, so funny. And he dropped it! Maybe he wrote the screen play and it was changed in the editing process.


message 22: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Book yes, a not half bad effort. The movie, it was ok. One must temper reality against optimistic expectations.


message 23: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Book yes, a not half bad effort. The movie, it was ok. One must temper reality against optimistic expectations.


message 24: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Book yes, a not half bad effort. The movie, it was ok. One must temper reality against optimistic expectations.


Melissa Nat wrote: "I think the book and movie were too different from each other to be comparable.
the only thing that was the same from the book to the movie, was that it's about abraham lincoln killing vampires. t..."

This is EXACTLY what I said, almost word for word. I can't even comprehend the same person who wrote the book did the screenplay. I saw the movie first and did not like the book. If I had read the book first, would I have liked it? I don't know...


Monica I thought the movie was pretty great, especially since Seth Grahame-Smith was part of the screenwriting team, meaning things that were changed were not just pulled out of a random guys ass.
I was disappointed that they changed the ending though.


message 27: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Chuck wrote: "Been waiting for the movie since I read the book. Very disappointed. I had hoped for better."

I could not agree more, though if I had not read the book the movie definitely would have been great! I was very disappointed with the fact the author wrote the screen play!


Nichole I feel like if I hadn't read the book, I would have liked the movie. I know that all movies based on books tend to cut out certain things, but the amount left out and changed from what was originally written was ridiculous.
The actors were wonderful, and the special effects were amazing, the only thing that bothered me was where the storyline went, and how so much was changed.


message 29: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Nichole wrote: "I feel like if I hadn't read the book, I would have liked the movie. I know that all movies based on books tend to cut out certain things, but the amount left out and changed from what was original..."

I couldn't agree more! No one wanted to see the movie with me so I went alone and I was just aghast by the movie. I do feel if I had not read the book the movie would have been a huge it for me, then I became so much more disappointed when I found of the author wrote the screen play to the movie. It just made my heart sink! I fell like I wasted my money to see it, when I thoroughly interested to see how they were going to interpret the book. I understood just jumping into the story line and taking out Henry giving the fledgling writer the diaries, but they took out so much more that helped make that story! The actors were absolutely wonderful though!


Katie I went to this movie with two friends who had not read the book. My two friends loved it. The movie was visually striking and had some awesome fight scenes. However, I was disappointed throughout the whole movie. The book was so much better. The book had a much better developed Abe Lincoln then the movie. Also, the movie left out a lot of detail and changed the whole story. Oh well... if you have to choose... read the book.


Danny Morris Thoroughly enjoyed the book. I turned the movie off about half way through. I thought it was too CG. I am looking forward to reading it again though. I think the only movie I ever saw that followed the book true to heart was The Hunt for Red October.


Gretchen Loved this book so much. Finally watching the dvd I see Lincoln and Henry but I think that is where the book and the movies similarities end.


Gretchen Kathleen wrote: "I read somewhere that the author realized his book did not have a climax, how you don't know that as an author, I don't know; however, when he wrote the screen play, he knew he had to add it in. My..."

I don't think he was passing the buck at all. What I took it as was a satirical way of saying that slave owners real one's were the equivalence of blood suckers. Actually I am surprised it hasn't been brought up that he was criticizing the south.


message 34: by Bud (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bud Cobb I have read the book and was let down by the movie, however, I would still recommend the movie with the suggestion to realizing Hollywood butchers everything for no reason!

People I know who saw the movie without reading it first loved the movie so maybe we are just bias purists who wanted to see his highs and lows of a hunter while on the national circuit.... And the vengeance taken for Ann Rutledge


David I feel like I would've enjoyed the movie had I not read the book. The movie was cool, and for what it was worth I liked it. But the book just contains SO much more.


James Rhodes I actually prefered the movie ending. The plot was a little thinner but I felt most of the events after Lincoln's death were a little dry. Also, I liked that he got to keep his integrity, which I felt he was stripped of in the novel.

Both formats are entertaining and mildly thought provoking. Neither of them is brilliant but both are good.


Angila If I had to choose one or the other, the book would win my vote. I liked the whole story line of the book, they had left out to many details in the movie.


Wayne I finally read the book and didn't care much for it. I expected the movie to be completely different. It didn't disappoint me. I felt like it was like Jackie Chan meeting the History Channel. This was a very bad movie.


message 39: by Beth A. (last edited Nov 23, 2012 11:43AM) (new)

Beth A. Well there is always the true story of Lincoln out now.

I hear it has good reviews...and is the only proper history that should be told.


message 40: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Wallace Beth A. wrote: "Well there is always the true story of Lincoln out now.

I hear it has good reviews...and is the only proper history that should be told."


I agree!


Roxanne won't see the movie...surely they will be unable to present it in the nuanced manner of the book... the premise seems preposterous, however somehow plausible...truly enjoyed the book


Angelica I absolutely loved the book and felt that the movie was lacking.


Kathy Andrew wrote: "If you had not read the book, would you have liked the movie? There is a lot that was left out, and some that was added from left field. In my opinion the director and producer caved to the influen..."
You are right the movie was fairly entertaining but was based loosely on the book. My husband who is not a fan of fantasy liked the movie.


message 44: by Vindivin (last edited Dec 11, 2012 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vindivin When they take a book and make a movie based on it, it's been my experience that the movie is NEVER as good as the book. So.... if you watch the movie knowing this, though there may be some disappointment in the end, at least you'll have gone in 'expecting' it NOT to be as great as the book. This book was phenomenal IMHO... haven't seen the movie yet, unsure if I will.


.ashley Sterry I liked the book. I was not impressed by the movie in that slightest. I feel as though they took what I loved about the book and cut it out from the movie. I might have liked the movie had i not read the book first. To me its two different stories with the same title.


Candy Sparks BOOOK!


message 47: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Chiodo Andrew wrote: "If you had not read the book, would you have liked the movie? There is a lot that was left out, and some that was added from left field. In my opinion the director and producer caved to the influen..."

I would not have enjoyed the movie had I not read the book, because I have no interest in vampires. What compelled me to pick up this book in stores was two things. I'd seen the title on bookshelves about 4 months before, but I went to the movie theater in February of this year and saw a cardboard cutout for this film. Upon reading who was behind the film - Timur B. and Tim B. - I really wanted to see it. I actually left the theater halfway through the movie because I could not stand to watch what my sister and boyfriend had chosen to see any more and I went across the street to Wal-Mart in pursuit of the book. I saw it on the shelves and picked up a copy, driving back to the theater and beginning to read. The other part of the decision to read it was it's simply bizarre title. I laughed when I first saw it, and when I bought it I was still thinking it was goofy and I probably wouldn't get through it. But, once I began reading at one of the movie theater's tables outside the theater my sister and boyfriend were in, I was hooked. I could not put it down and finished it within the week. (Most books take me a month or so because I am always busy.)

The things I hated most were the ending of the movie. They missed what was to me, the most ironic and quirky, funny part of the entire book. (SPOILER) Abe's survival and decision to become a vampire had me laughing for days, yet sadly, it was left out in my opinion to help appease the masses. Since this film released so shortly after the book's release, most of the people going to see it hadn't read the book (thus not understanding and appreciating the irony and hilarity of the book) and I'm sure many were fans of things like True Blood and Twilight, so they were highly disappointed in the movie itself. The other part of audiences who saw it I think were people who were somewhat interested in history, but willing to accept some fallacy and jokes but ended up hating the deviation the film took from the life of Abe Lincolm, despite the book's precise accuracy.


Alexandria I loved both the book and the movie. Since, as others before me have clarified over and over again, both are completely different mediums requiring different artistic aspects. Also stated before, I admire the author for being capable of both particular styles involved.


Daniela i read the book and watched the movie and even though is too fast to follow the story i loved them both but i prefer the book but it's a good movie anyway


Shayne 9 times out of 10, the book is ALWAYS better & for me, that was the case in this scenario as well. Movie was ok though.


« previous 1
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (other topics)