The Sword and Laser discussion

To unlem

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ken | 139 comments The Once and Future King is finally bloody done and sitting in the donate pile. Everything before Lancelot was fine; everything after (especially that last full chapter) was a total drudge. But it's done, good riddance.

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments Congratulations?
I mean, "congratulations"...but what compelled you to finish a book you weren't enjoying? I do that, and wonder whether our reasons are similar.

David Sven (Gorro) | 1535 comments If you want a real good Arthurian story read Bernard Cornwells The Winter King. Its written as historical fiction rather than fantasy but its one of my favourite trilogies.

Richard | 221 comments My favorite Arthurian was The High Kings. I lemmed The Once and Future King at page 2 because I thought White's footnotes were insulting. Does anyone think it is actually worth giving it another chance?

Tassie Dave | 488 comments Richard wrote: "Does anyone think it is actually worth giving it another chance?"

No, it is easily the worst book we've read for Sword and Laser.
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooring

Chris (mrwednesday) | 21 comments I have to finish that myself one day. To date, I've tried four times.

Ken | 139 comments I finished it because it was sitting there beside the bed staring at me for months (plus I did buy it.) To be fair, I enjoyed "the story." What I couldn't stand was the constant popping out of the story to make modern commentary, particularly as "modern" in this case meant the late 1930s. Comparing Lancelot's practice outfit of that to the quilted padding of an American football player. So, not only do I pop out of Arthurian England into America, pull "football player" into my mind, then go back in time to think of football players from way back then. This book was more a commentary of the author's times with Arthur as a metaphor.

Richard | 221 comments That sounds like I can check "NO!" as a consensus. So, Geoffrey of Monmouth or Chrétien de Troyes? I'm looking for entertainment here, not an education.

terpkristin | 2608 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Richard wrote: "Does anyone think it is actually worth giving it another chance?"

No, it is easily the worst book we've read for Sword and Laser.
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooring"

Um. Do you remember
How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe? Or Daemon. Or Tigana? ;D

The Once and Future King certainly wasn't my favorite S&L pick but we've had much much much worse.

Ken | 139 comments Didn't care for Science Fictional Universe. I found myself thinking the guy needed to get a life. Tigana I'm in the middle of and so far I'd rate it as OK. Daemon I really liked, though the sequel kind of felt like bate and switch.

Tassie Dave | 488 comments terpkristin wrote: "Um. Do you remember
How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe? Or Daemon. Or Tigana? ;D "

I loved Daemon. The other 2 were Ok, not great but I don't regret reading them.

For me Memoirs Found in a Bathtub, Rule 34 and The Once and Future King were the worst 3.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1741 comments Hey I loved the Yu and the Suarez!

Dustin (dustincorreale) | 35 comments Oh huh, I liked it. I didn't read it with the group. Why did everyone hate it so much?

terpkristin | 2608 comments Jenny wrote: "Hey I loved the Yu and the Suarez!"

Ugh to both. :)

But that's what makes this group go 'round.

Keith (Teleport-City) | 258 comments I tried twice to unlem Spook Country, which has now made it a book I've lemmed three times

Wesley Edmunds (wredmunds) | 28 comments I actually unlemmed The Pillars of the Earth on the insistence of my friends and parents. I got through it, but I can't really say it was worth it. I find that Follet's characters generally don't go too deep and I subsequently have trouble getting into his books.