Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Off Topic Rant

Comments (showing 101-150)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 150: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Bumping! In case anyone wants to rant!

message 149: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Morgan wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Boy, do I agree with the people assessment! As the saying goes, the more I know people, the more I like my dogs!"

That's funny :) I've never heard that one before."

I have. That is kind of like that line from the song: More Boys I Meet, by Carrie Underwood.
'The more boys I meet the more I love my dog'

message 148: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (MorganDickson) Melodie wrote: "Boy, do I agree with the people assessment! As the saying goes, the more I know people, the more I like my dogs!"

That's funny :) I've never heard that one before.

message 147: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (MorganDickson) Kelly Anne, I don't think you over reacted at all, i would have done the same thing and left the all the books there at the counter. I am glad to hear you went back to management.

message 146: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 5 comments Wow sorry! I think you should get a e-reader so you dont have to go to the book store anymore. You will save time and money Not to mention its greener! Think about it.

message 145: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Michelle M. wrote: "As for the shorthand speak, it drives me nuts too! Certain conventions have become so commonplace or are generally..."

I agree. Especially on sites like this, you do have a lot of people that read and write so naturally you would think that the people on here would be able to spell most word correctly- and type correctly. I know I make mistakes when writing, but I think you should at least be able to read peoples comments without gaining headaches because they type in stupid ways for the sake of it.

message 144: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Ariana, I would be incredibly irritated. I had a situation where a former co-worker suggested me for a job. I sent in my resume, got a message the next day and called the woman back. Didn't hear from her again for over 2 weeks! And when I left more messages, it was another 2 weeks before she contacted me again. By then I'd decided that if this was how the woman ran her department, perhaps I didn't want to work for her after all. Would she be as lackadaisical about paying me, too?

Is this person the whole HR department, or is there an assistant you can explain your situation to? Assistants usually know everything!

As for the shorthand speak, it drives me nuts too! Certain conventions have become so commonplace or are generally acceptable (lol, FYI, BTW...) that I have no issues with them and use them myself. It's the instances like that mock-sentence above that drive me bonkers! Entire paragraphs of phonetic spelling, crazy capitalization and such for no good reason...it's fine for private messaging between friends I suppose, but why use it on a site like this?

message 143: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments And then there was the which has disappeared.

There actually were sentiences as bad as the example upthread in the bad old days of local BBS and the echoed nets, all pre-Internet.

About the only thing left are the run on paragraphs with no caps anywhere.

message 142: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Starling wrote: "Ellen ♥ wrote: "I definitly agree with that. And how can you tell someone that you're laughing with them outloud?
;)"

And I tend to avoid the emoticons. Instead I use an older convention . When I ..."

Yeah I have heard of people doing that. When I first got really into the internet and msn people would out there actions inbetween these, **.
*Waves hello*
Ah, the internet is such a confusing and magically annoying place at times, =D
Lol.

message 141: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments Ellen ♥ wrote: "I definitly agree with that. And how can you tell someone that you're laughing with them outloud?
;)"

And I tend to avoid the emoticons. Instead I use an older convention . When I first started online people used both conventions and I found the word inside <> easier. Emoticons developed because people needed to find a way to express the tone of voice, just like Ellen said.

message 140: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments I definitly agree with that. And how can you tell someone that you're laughing with them outloud?
;)

message 139: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, LOL and emoticons can be handy for making your tone clearer in place of facial cues.

message 138: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Okay, that just sorted out my confusion. Lol. I seem to make a habit with using- mostly- Lol when writing on fourms. I do not know why. Lol.

message 137: by new_user (new)

new_user Ellen, I think it's mostly that crazy invented speech that ticks people off. I don't mind acronyms as long as they don't get out of hand.

message 136: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Ellen ♥ wrote: "When you talk about text speech do you mean things like: brb, lol, gtg, FYI, btw.
Or when people make a shorter version of a word that isnt even a word.
But WeN IC SuM1 TyP LyK ThS So ThT I HaF to Wayst My TyM
..."

I don't mind LOL and FYI has been around since I was a teenager at least......and that's been awhile ago! even b/4, OMG and the like don't bother me. The stuff like that "sentence", and I use the word very loosely, drives me up a wall!

message 135: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Haha. That is what my parents would so too Valorie. But I would always be outside, and they would be telling me to read more often. And now I do a lot of reading it has become addictive in a way- I get annoyed when I dont have something to read.
When you talk about text speech do you mean things like: brb, lol, gtg, FYI, btw.
Or when people make a shorter version of a word that isnt even a word.
But WeN IC SuM1 TyP LyK ThS So ThT I HaF to Wayst My TyM
And that does hurt when you read it!

message 134: by Valorie (last edited Nov 12, 2009 09:27PM) (new)

Valorie I have to agree with you Shannon, Starling, & Melodie. I really don't understand why people seem to be in such a rush that putting an actual sentence together is so straining! I know we all have busy lives, but come on! Has our society become that lazy?

I really do fear for the younger generation (teenagers). It seems like less and less younger kids are reading, or performing any physical activity. I remember when..... my parents would encourage me to read novels and go outside! Get out of the house my mother would say! Here's a new book I think you would like, my father & mother would say.

Ok enough from my old 37 year old self! Thanks for letting me vent with you all!

message 133: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments Melodie, but what you said is what I do.

If they won't write English, I won't read it. If they are truly writing another language, I also won't read it but that is because I only know one language, so that one is on me.

I think the whole text thing is funny because it is history repeating itself. And I didn't like it 15 years ago. Why would I want to put up with it now?

message 132: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) I think that telephone texting will go the same way as forum comments. Maybe, if it really bothers some of you, you could inquire why they are doing that really old fashioned thing with their phones?

I wish texting would just GO AWAY!! If you're texting, fine type that way. But if you are on a forum such as this you should be able to take the time to make an intelligent post! If I have to try and figure out your text "gobbledygook" I'm going to bypass what you have to say and go onto something that makes sense to me. And I know you probably find that laughable, Starling, but that appears to be just you!

message 131: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments I have to laugh. I've been on the Internet so long that I know that what you'all are calling "text speak" is the way most posts on the Internet were back in the day when people regularly complained about "bandwidth". How funny that it looks new and something that only kids do when it is really very old and something only grandparents still did only a decade ago.

It stopped on various online forums, mainly because Usenet died and forums became Web based and complaining about using capital letters and full words got ridiculous. As for my really bad spelling, I use a spell checker and so does almost everyone else these days.

And I ALWAYS hated it when people refused to capitalize the first letter in a sentence, or the word I, or leave a line between paragraphs. Made me nuts.

I think that telephone texting will go the same way as forum comments. Maybe, if it really bothers some of you, you could inquire why they are doing that really old fashioned thing with their phones?

message 130: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments new_user wrote: "Shannon, you have no idea how much that annoys me. Instead of wasting the time to translate someone's post into legible English, I will just skip it altogether."

Yup, same here.

"I know some people are not native English speakers, and I have no problem with that."

Very good point.

But WeN IC SuM1 TyP LyK ThS So ThT I HaF to Wayst My TyM...

Oh man, that hurts my brain.

"It's insulting, and yeah, it really does surprise me on a reading site, of all places. "

Exactly! I blame the proliferation of Twilight readers on here ... lol ... I'm just going to slink away from that one ...

"It's usually the young'uns, but I've never typed like that so I don't get it myself."

Cell phones weren't a big thing when I was in High School so I don't think I'll ever understand using text-speak. If I have the time to type something out I'm going to type it out. If I run out of space I might abbreviate but I'm not going to type u instead of you and b4 instead of before because I'm too lazy to type out the whole word. Plus, with all the phones that have keyboards now it should be even easier to type out full words.

Sigh ...

message 129: by new_user (new)

new_user Shannon, you have no idea how much that annoys me. Instead of wasting the time to translate someone's post into legible English, I will just skip it altogether. I know some people are not native English speakers, and I have no problem with that. I have no beef with a few spelling or grammar errors, etc.

But WeN IC SuM1 TyP LyK ThS So ThT I HaF to Wayst My TyM...

It's insulting, and yeah, it really does surprise me on a reading site, of all places. It's usually the young'uns, but I've never typed like that so I don't get it myself. It's very odd to find that in a discussion, where one is putting forward their viewpoint. You don't want to seem subintelligent...

message 128: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Melodie wrote: "Shannon, I completely agree with you on the "text speak" thing. It drives me absolutely nuts! This has become so rampant that I'm afraid the current generation of young people will be totally unable to spell! Why would someone turn your whole thing around to say you were attacking people with disabilities??? People have let their skin get too thin! I mean, come on!! I am so tired of the "PC police" who find a way to take exception to anything a person says."

Thank you. Does it sound like I was attacking people with learning disabilities or people with a lack of intelligence? No, it doesn't. I was making a reference to people that are too lazy to take the time to type something that makes sense.

So you know what bothers me? People that make assumptions and read too much into things posted on the internet.

message 127: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) Shannon, I completely agree with you on the "text speak" thing. It drives me absolutely nuts! This has become so rampant that I'm afraid the current generation of young people will be totally unable to spell! Why would someone turn your whole thing around to say you were attacking people with disabilities??? People have let their skin get too thin! I mean, come on!! I am so tired of the "PC police" who find a way to take exception to anything a person says.

message 126: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Did you even watch the video?

Do you write like those people did? I don't think you do so I don't know why you think I think that. I feel like my point was missed and I'm being attacked for no reason.

message 125: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Aimee wrote: "This isn't directed to anyone here...", you made it painfully obvious that you WERE directing it to someone here."

You can make that assumption all you want but it really wasn't. Honestly I don't see anything wrong with your posts! Seriously, I wasn't calling you out and I'm not sure why you think I was.

I'm not sure how you twisted my post to include discriminating people with disabilities. That wasn't my intent, and it offends ME that you'd turn it around that way.

message 124: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments Darcy wrote: "I sometimes think this bothers me because I read so much and so many people don't so they just don't get it."

That's what I'm saying! On this site at least, you'd think that people who read so much would be able to type out a coherent thought.

message 123: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2835 comments Shannon that was so funny!! But you are right. I have a hard time when people text me and I sometimes don't have a clue what they are trying to say. It really doesn't take all that more time to type all the words. I sometimes think this bothers me because I read so much and so many people don't so they just don't get it.

message 122: by The Holy Terror (new)

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 115 comments I'm just going to throw this out there, and this isn't in reference to anyone here. I have a really hard time reading people's posts that have poor grammar, improper punctuation, and/or text-speak. I'm not the grammar police or anything and I know I'm not perfect but if I see someone's post that looks like a 5 year-old typed it out, I just gloss over and ignore it. Why can't people take the time to punctuate and capitalize? I don't understand why it's so hard.

I was reading an author's blog (can't remember who it was!) and they had linked to the video below. Things aren't quite that bad on goodreads, but I've seen some pretty bad posts lately and it's been bugging me.

How is babby formed?

message 121: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments Aimee, I'm just too sensitive, probably for the same reasons you are... Take it with a grain of salt, please.

I'm hoping neither of us end up offended.

And I've had a bit of "You SHOULD read this, too." But since I'm probably old enough to be your granny I'm FINALLY old enough that I don't get much redirecting anymore.

But when I was a kid I got told by more than one adult that they wouldn't let their kid read historical novels. Picture nose up in the air. Was smart enough at 12 or 13 to know that their kid probably didn't read in the first place. And it was a good thing they didn't see the science fiction novel I planned on reading next.

message 120: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (Facere323) | 21 comments Starling wrote: "Actually I doubt if Oprah's book club books are warm and fuzzy. Mostly I've found them depressing and boring myself.

But, just as I don't want people to object to my buying vampire books, I don't ..."

I wasn't objecting to people buying books from her list. My mother shops that list religiously and I refer to it for her christmas and b-day presents. I was using it as an example of the books that are foisted on readers by those who would look down their noses at the choices others make. It seems to be the most commone reference I've heard when someone decides to "redirect" my buying habbits. I'm sorry if you were somehow offended by my reference choice.

message 119: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2835 comments I have to agree with you about the Oprah books, they are just depressing, if I want that I can just look at my real life, that is why I read to add fun things that I wouldn't normally be able to experience. I am actually in an in-person book club that they name is Not Oprah Approved Book Club. One nice thing about so many books and authors is that there really is something out there for everyone.

message 118: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments Actually I doubt if Oprah's book club books are warm and fuzzy. Mostly I've found them depressing and boring myself.

But, just as I don't want people to object to my buying vampire books, I don't want to object to people who buy Oprah's book club books, or any other book club book. I'm just glad that there are lots and lots and lots of books out there these days for all of us to enjoy and read.

I'm also a booster of the online book stores, and the great big chain book stores because I grew up in New York City were there weren't any independent book stores in the places where I grew up. I doubt if there ever was a book store in The Bronx, and I know (because my daughter has complained) that there is only ONE in Queens and that she can't get from here to there.

By the way, we are talking about MILLIONS of people and no book stores.

So the next time someone sneers at your choice of books, smile sweetly and tell her how GLAD you are that there is a bookstore for her to work in and for you to spend money in. Sometimes we all need to remember where our bread gets buttered!

message 117: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2835 comments Sometimes it is fun to buy those "bad" books and go to a cashier you think will give you the evil eye just for fun. Or at least that is the way you can think about it.

After thinking about this over night, can you imagine the story this cashier had when she went home. I am sure it went something like this.

You can't believe the crazy person who came in the bookstore today? She bought all this ...
How fun is it that you were the center of her bad story!!

message 116: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (Facere323) | 21 comments I've gotten the raised eyebrows from cashiers when I'm buying books. That set my teeth on edge. I couldn't imagine if someone actually vocalized their objections to my book choice! I think I would have a coniption fit! "I'm sorry if my reading choices don't meet the standard of 'Oprah's book club'. Maybe you could pull you head out of you $%& long enough to realize that there is something other than warm fuzzy uplifting fluff that YOU might read!" sorry...but I have no tolerance for narrow mindedness!

message 115: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 2835 comments Here is something that has been happening to me a lot in the last couple of weeks that drive me NUTS!!!

Authors that send a friend request to you with info all about their book. Usually it is someone who has just written a book and is just looking to get the word of mouth going. Then when I look at their profile and the book it is nothing like I would read. I just hit the ignore button.

I did have one author that I did accept then when I finally got around to reading the book didn't care for it, put out a review stating that and then I noticed that I was unfriended. If you can't take the criticism then maybe you shouldn't put yourself out there so much.

message 114: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments It really depends on who interrupts me when I am reading. If it is somebody younger than me I will pay attention because they're little and dont understand the big deal it is for being interrupted. But if it is somebody who should know better than to interrupt me- siblings, kids in my class- than i will bluntly ignore and move away without taking me eyes off of the book.
If it were an adult that will be the only time that I ever put the book down without letting them now that i am irritated.

Like I said, it depends on who interrupts me!

message 113: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments OK, Ariana, this is how you handle that. You give her a call on the telephone. If you have to leave a message, you specifically say that you need to know if you have the job, and if so when should you come in to start.

And yes, it is OK to keep calling. She needs to either tell you when to come in, or she needs to tell you she has hired someone else.

message 112: by Ariana (new)

Ariana This is off the topic that you're talkig about now but i just need to have a bit of a rant.

I'm a student and uni has just finished for the year, therefore i need a job to help me over summer. About 3 weeks ago i got a job interview at a place called Living and Giving which is a homeware store (and id LOVE to work there...), the lady really liked me and gave me an application to fill out and return that week and said she'd let me know by friday if i got the job. So i filled out the application but left the sheets that had my bank account details and IRD on it because why bother giving them to her if i dont get the job y'now? So the lady rings me on Sunday to say Ive got the job and to please come in sometime that week and drop off the rest of my details. So i did. And i haven't heard anything in 2 weeks. As i really want to work at this place i dont want to start looking for another job but GOD i wish people would get their shit sorted and let me know what was going on!
I've rung her 5 times and all of them she's either sick, gone home already or it's her day off. Yesterday i left a not for her to ring me, now im not sure whether i should be pissed off if ive still got the job and start a bit later than though or whether i should just be supremely pissed off at the lack of communication.

Ta da! That's my rant for the day.

message 111: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments I tend to just glare until they stop talking whenever I'm interrupted during my reading. lol

message 110: by new_user (new)

new_user Marisella wrote: "Robin wrote: "Jess and Karen, I SO AGREE with people talking to you while you are reading. Especially while I am on break at work, and someone walks in and just starts a conversation or asks a que..."

LOL. That's genius! I think I might actually try that.

message 109: by Marisella (last edited Nov 08, 2009 03:12PM) (new)

Marisella (stregamari) Melodie wrote: "I've read the TWILIGHT books, and I loved them, but I decided to read them on my own, before all the mania took hold. I also hate people who have JUST the book I need to read....something that I h..."

Oh, yer preachin' to the choir here! One of those rare readers you were talking about read "white oleander". She said, and I quote "Well, the house was clean, and Oprah was talking about it, so I went straight out and bought it. I just didn't understand it though...". hmmmm. I didn't want to discourage her, too much, but told her nora roberts and danielle steele were good for the occasional read. Of course, she loves them! but hey, she's reading!
I just can't ever imagine a time when my house is clean and there is nothing else for me to do! maybe at my wake :)

message 108: by Marisella (new)

Marisella (stregamari) Robin wrote: "Jess and Karen, I SO AGREE with people talking to you while you are reading. Especially while I am on break at work, and someone walks in and just starts a conversation or asks a question... You w..."

I've got the best way to discourage kids and husbands from committing "readus interruptus". Young kids talk to you while you're reading, you know they are fine. So, take them in to the restroom, and wash their face and hands thoroughly. Do that every time, regardless of what they are talking about. teens and husbands; say, oh while you're here, would you get me some water? and some chips. are there any cookies left? did you unload the dishwasher? and on and on. They learn pretty quickly!

message 107: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments Thank You! That is just how I roll. lol

message 106: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Amelia wrote: "If a bookstore cashier tried pulling that shit with me it would be ON. (not that I think it would. Pretty much every cashier in my B+N has seen me lurking in the store. They know better than to pis..."

Lol. I like the way you think!

message 105: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments If a bookstore cashier tried pulling that shit with me it would be ON. (not that I think it would. Pretty much every cashier in my B+N has seen me lurking in the store. They know better than to piss off a good customer.)

I would say she sounds like a bible thumper but she read Twilight.

I would've politley told her she should try getting the stick from up her ass and losing her holier than thou attitude and read something worthwhile for once. Something that didn't include sparkly vampires.

The manager would have been called right then and there. A scene would ensue. I would walk out and not go back for a few weeks (the time it would take to read my pile of books). Then walk in and act like nothing was amiss. lol

message 104: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Good luck!

message 103: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. | 103 comments Thanks Michelle & New-user for your help, I'll go and see if I need to do an update, and your right, I think it is just taking it's time to load, I got it to work last night after putting "currently reading" in the box and then pressing the enter button, I didn't need to do that before but it worked last night so I'm happy.

message 102: by new_user (new)

new_user No problem. Sometimes it just takes a bit to load.

message 101: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Karen, did you dump your cache?

Or maybe your browser has a recent update to download.

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Among the Barons (other topics)
Pure Blood (other topics)
Among the Betrayed (other topics)
Fantasy Lover (other topics)
Halfway to the Grave (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sherrilyn Kenyon (other topics)
Jeaniene Frost (other topics)