2014 Reading Challenge discussion

Comments (showing 1-47 of 47) (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Starting half way through the year but hoping to still make it!

Just finished Fifty Shades of Grey which was not my normal type of book to read but it was interesting!

Lilac  | 740 comments That list of books would be perfect for an alphabet title challenge :)
Did you like The Maze Runner? I've been meaning to read it for ages but I haven't got round to it yet.

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments How are you liking the Sue Grafton series? I bought A is for Alibi at my library book sale a few months ago and haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Are they good?

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments I really enjoyed Maze Runner. I wasn't expecting much but was blown away and read the whole series over the long weekend!

The Sue Grafton series is fun. It is nice summer reading to sit out at lunch and enjoy! I usually have that to read on lunch break at work and another book at home :) I also get them from the library too which is nice!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book #19:

Just finished Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2) by E.L. James

I liked this one better than the first one. I wish you could give half stars - this would be a 3 and half for me.

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book #20 Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3) by E.L. James

This series was unexpected for me. A friend got me the first one for my birthday and I was very eh about it. But it kinda consumed my reading. It was not the best book ever but something about this (and #2) really just made me need to keep reading and know what happened.

Now back to another alphabet book as a palate cleanser!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book #21 Rock Me (Ross Siblings, #2) by Cherrie Lynn

A friend loaned this to me on Kindle when she heard I had finished fifty shades. Said I HAD to read it next. I wasn't as impressed. I felt fifty shades was better. But it was a quick read.

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Alright just finished book 25! Only a quarter of the way there so I need to get some serious reading in the rest of this summer :)

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 26: Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore

This book had a slow start but once I got into it, I really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 27: The Kill Order by James Dashner

really enjoyed this book. It is a prequel to the Maze Runner series.

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 28: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare

Sequel to City of Bones. I liked it but not as much as the first.

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 29: Fire (Graceling Realm, #2) by Kristin Cashore

This was not really a sequel or prequel to Graceling. It did take place in the same universe and had one character that was in both. I did enjoy this though the stories were very similar with just monsters instead of gracelings.

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 30: Chosen (The Chosen #1) by Denise Grover Swank

I got this from the kindle lending library. I did like the main character but the rest was to be desired. The kid seemed important but then just disappeared. And I didn't connect to him so I didn't really care or notice. 2 stars

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 31: Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind

I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a wonderful fantasy and I got lost in their adventures!

message 16: by Karissa (last edited Aug 06, 2012 12:43PM) (new)

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 32: Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth, #2) by Terry Goodkind

Loved this book as well. Though I did love the first one a bit more. But still a wonderful fantasy series :)

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 33 & 34: Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth, #3) by Terry Goodkind; Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth, #4) by Terry Goodkind

Continuing with the Sword of Truth series and still loving it. Only 8 more to go... haha I think I may have to take a break from series since I joined some challenges and need to read some other items!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 35: The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa

message 19: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2525 comments That's a seriously beautiful cover. What did you think of the book? I've been seeing it around.

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments I liked it! And the cover did draw me in :) I found the story to be really interesting and fast paced. It definitively hooked me. And was a nice quick read between the larger fantasy books I am also reading. I started book two today, so we will see how it does!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 36 & 37: Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth, #5) by Terry Goodkind & Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6) by Terry Goodkind

Faith was probably one of my favorites so far in the series. Even though my favorite characters were separated for most of it, I enjoyed their journey!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 38: Winter's Passage (Iron Fey, #1.5) by Julie Kagawa

This is actually a novella to be between the first and second book. Which I did not realize until it abruptly ended on my kindle! It was interesting though and left me wanting more!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 39: Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
4 Stars

I really enjoyed this book! It was a quick read for me and I found that I got lost in their world. The idea of the factions is very interesting and I look forward to reading the next one to see where they go now!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 40: The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7) by Terry Goodkind
2 Stars - This one has been my least favorite of the series so far. And what made it so hard was the last book was SO good and my favorite and then this one was so random. Richard and Kahlan were only on the last couple chapters and while I understand need for new characters to ignore the main two just irritated me.

message 25: by Nathan Trevor (last edited Sep 01, 2012 08:05PM) (new)

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments I've been debating whether or not to read Divergent for a while now. I keep seeing such great reviews of it! You said it's a pretty quick read?

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Yeah, I read it in one night (3 hours) and I had debated reading it or not as well and so many people had told me how great it was so I finally caved (thanks to a challenge actually!) and was happy I did :)

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 41: Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8) by Terry Goodkind
3 stars - much better than the last book but still not as good as the first few in the series. I am at the point though that I have read so many in this series I am starting to get a bit bored. So think I may switch to some other books before going back to it!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 42: Going To See the Elephant by Rodes Fishburne

3 stars - This was a bizarre book. The author is coming to my work so I read it and it started out a bit slow but by the middle I had finally connected with the main character. And then it just sorta ended... very bizarre.

message 29: by Karissa (last edited Sep 10, 2012 05:22PM) (new)

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments So my husband got a new video game which meant I had a lot of reading time this weekend! So continued Sword of Truth by reading the Chainfire Trilogy.

Books 43, 44, & 45:

Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9) by Terry Goodkind
Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10) by Terry Goodkind
Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11) by Terry Goodkind

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 46: The Omen Machine (Sword of Truth, #12) by Terry Goodkind

Last book in Sword of Truth Series (until another comes out). This was nowhere near as good as the beginning of the series. The characters were shadows of their former selves and it felt like his heart just wasn't into this book. Very sad! 2 stars

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 47: Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3) by Kami Garcia

Continuation of the Beautiful Creatures series. I thought it was good though the ending was a cliffhanger which is always annoying when you have to wait for the next book!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 48: Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth, #0) by Terry Goodkind

Nice short story that gave some history on the creation of the boundaries.

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 49: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer

I am really slacking and need to pick up the pace if I am going to make my goal!

I enjoyed Cinder though the twist at the end I felt was very obvious though maybe that was the intent. I think the next book might be better as we now "know" the secret and they can move forward with story.

message 34: by Nathan Trevor (last edited Sep 28, 2012 07:00PM) (new)

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments I just read Cinder as well! I agree, it was totally obvious. I had it figured out from the start. I'm still looking forward to the next book, though.

message 35: by Karissa (last edited Oct 09, 2012 08:46AM) (new)

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Busy Weekend - Books 50-52

Mystic City (Mystic City, #1) by Theo Lawrence
Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand
A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet #2) by Julia Quinn

Mystic City was an ARC I got from Comic Con and I didn't know what to expect but I ended up really enjoying it!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 53: Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead

I really enjoyed the Vampire Academy books so was excited to get this one. This followed Sydney an Alchemist who we briefly met in VA series. I thought it was a lot of fun!

message 37: by Karissa (last edited Oct 11, 2012 04:35PM) (new)

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 54: The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2) by Richelle Mead

4 stars - I really enjoyed this sequel and look forward to the third book coming out in February! :)

message 38: by Adriana, Moderator (new)

Adriana | 2552 comments Yo could get actual books and not just comic books from Comic Con... I did not know this. Must tell my brother the next time he goes.

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Oh yeah Comic Con is about WAY more than just comic books! :)

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 55: Hidden (Firelight, #3) by Sophie Jordan

Nice quick read. Final to the trilogy and thought it ended the series well.

message 41: by Adriana, Moderator (new)

Adriana | 2552 comments Karissa wrote: "Oh yeah Comic Con is about WAY more than just comic books! :)"

Revelation! I went to one but never saw books there... maybe it was a smaller one then. Thanks (:

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments I go to the one in San Diego (I think it is the main one) and it has all sorts of author panels and signings and publishers are on the main showroom floor where you can get ARCs. Also they have sessions with new shows, current shows, movies, etc. I actually had to search to find comic books cuz it was everything but! :)

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 56 & 57:

The First Confessor (The Legend of Magda Searus, #1) by Terry Goodkind

I liked this one better than the Omen Machine as it reminded me of the beginning of the Sword of Truth Series. But there was still a lot of repetition from that series.

The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan

Loved this book and this series! Can't wait for the next one! :)

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Finally returned to the alphabet!

Book 58: K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11) by Sue Grafton

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Book 59: L is for Lawless (Kinsey Millhone, #12) by Sue Grafton

Book 60: The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin

The Passage was really interesting! It was a bit confusing at first as it kept changing story lines but I ended up really enjoying it :)

Kelsi | 708 comments Karissa wrote: "Book 59: L is for Lawless (Kinsey Millhone, #12) by Sue Grafton

Book 60: The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin

The Passage was really interesting! It was a bit confusing at first as it kept changing story lines but I end..."

I was very surprised by how much I ended up liking the Passage. The changing story lines was really interesting, at first I had no idea who the main character was going to be. Glad you enjoyed it!

Karissa (Diliapickle) | 53 comments Thanks! Yeah, the beginning kept throwing me because I would get attached and then by the middle I wouldn't get attached right away cuz I didn't know if their story line was sticking around!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fifty Shades of Grey (other topics)
A is for Alibi (other topics)
B is for Burglar (other topics)
C is for Corpse (other topics)
D is for Deadbeat (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sue Grafton (other topics)