Q&A with Tahir Shah discussion

Tahir Shah
This topic is about Tahir Shah
Welcome

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tahir (new)

Tahir Shah (TahirShahAuthor) | 65 comments Mod
Welcome to this Q&A group! Please feel free to introduce yourself here.

message 2: by Purnima (last edited Jun 18, 2012 08:33AM) (new)

Purnima | 1 comments Hi. I'm Purnima from Hyderabad, India. I'm a software engineer by profession. I'm co-founder and co-editor of a website dedicated to books, pustakam.net.

Thanks to a dear friend of mine, I was introduced to your works. While I thoroughly enjoyed the recommended (by the same friend), "A Sorcerer's Apprentice", I found "In Arabian Nights" much close to my heart and ended up reading multiple times in a year's time. I've also started exploring your father's works. And now, I've a special interest in folktales.

I'm glad to catch you up, here.

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Ryan McCliment (mccliment) | 6 comments Hi friends. I'm from the Pacific Northwest in the US. I work as a smokejumper. We parachute into remote areas to manage emerging forest fires so we can protect water sheds and other vital forest elements. A good example of why I'm such a fan of Tahir's phenomenological writings is at the end of chapter 12 of "In Arabian Nights" when he's listening to Monsieur Reda. In order to have a good jump we have to be able to read the wind, which is difficult because it's hard to see the streamers and wind indicators through a tiny port hole inside a plane that's turning circles. After we get all the little snippets of visual data we can, I do like Tahir did, close my eyes and activate my imagination. It's an important moment because to a jumper the sound of the static line clip sliding down the ridges of the static line is like lighter grooves sparking fire under a junkies spoon. With neuro receptors primed, the salivating adrenaline gets your heart racing... that's when I close my eyes and some part of me calmly puts the pieces together, jumps out the door, perceives the wind, and guides me into the jump spot and a safe landing. I'm not sure I would have learned how to do this if it wasn't for Tahir's writings, so thanks for the help!

message 4: by Robs (new)

Robs (RobShear) | 3 comments Hi I'm Rob, based in London, currently a student of welding. I guess I'm a traveller who appreciates good travel writing.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Hulvey | 2 comments Hello everyone,

I'm Julie, I live in Central Illinois amid Lincoln shrines and cornfields.

I'm an art teacher and artist, as well as a musician obsessed with Brazillian music: so much that I learned how to speak portuguese to get closer.

Tahir, thank you for hosting this group, it's quite generous. Thanks also for taking us along on your journeys.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Ward | 1 comments Hi Everyone
My name is Michael and I’m an accountant by profession and I assure you that we are not all as boring as everyone thinks we are. I am based in Jacksonville, Florida and my hobby is writing. Back in 2005 I had eight short stories published in different magazines around the world. For the next few years work took up all my time and I started writing seriously again two years ago. I recently self-published a Scandinavian crime novel set in Stockholm with a female assassin as the main character and I also published three books of short stories using my best work. I started publishing four months ago and I am currently selling about 70 books a month with a short-term target of hitting 100 books a month. All my books are available on Amazon.

My favorite Tahir Shah book is The Caliph’s House. I like to travel myself and I really enjoy reading travel books. Thank you Tahir for all your interesting books.

message 7: by Pallavi (new)

Pallavi | 1 comments Hello,

Am Pallavi Katti, I live in Bangalore, India. My literary background is unlimited as I grew up in a house full of books . My mom being a writer herself kept me and my sister constantly connected to books.

When I get time I try my hand at Hindi Shayari however have not tried my hand at prose. Have been following your blog Tahir, for over 2 years now, when you were blogging regularly and also when you were not. I have learnt to see day to day life in new light through your blogs and that has been like the freshness of first rains.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments Hello everyone,

I'm Amy Cochran. I'm a Wildlife Rehabilitator specializing in Raptors and large carnivores. Hailing from Alabama, I'm also heavily involved in Greyhound Adoption and animal welfare in general.

I have written several articles for various animal adoption agencies and I'm currently working on a novel.

Tahir, thanks so much hosting this group. It's very generous of you.

message 9: by H.M. (new)

H.M. (erictwose) | 5 comments Hi friends, my real name is Eric (though Goodreads insists on using one of my pen names).

I first began reading books by Tahir's father, Idries Shah, around 1985/6 and have since become a fan of Tahir's writing.

Thanks for your generosity here and elsewhere, Tahir.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul | 8 comments Hi I'm Paul Wordley, I'm an art therapist, psychotherapist, fundraiser,writer and general dogsbody for Afghan refugee organisations in London. Thanks Tahir, I look forward to the discussion

message 11: by John (last edited Jun 28, 2012 07:52AM) (new)

John | 2 comments Greetings good people, I'm John from London, a sound technician who writes verses, or a writer of verses who works with sound ...

I came to Tahir's books via The Octagon Press, and to The Octagon Press via Mullah Nasrudin, after finding an old Dutton Paperback Original of Nasrudin tales by Idries Shah among my books at home - though I don't know how it got there!

Many years ago I had the good fortune to visit a peaceful Afghanistan. The experience has stayed with me all this time and I've deepened my knowledge of the region through many publications from The Octagon Press, as well as from the films and books of Saira, Tahir, and Safia Shah.

My favourite book by Tahir Shah is In Arabian Nights. Oh, I am a big fan of stories!

message 12: by Tahir (new)

Purnima wrote: "Hi. I'm Purnima from Hyderabad, India. I'm a software engineer by profession. I'm co-founder and co-editor of a website dedicated to books, pustakam.net.

Thanks to a dear friend of mine, I was in..."

Thanks Purnima, how wonderful to hear from you. I was in Hyderabad writing about the glorious Falaknuma about a year ago... http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011...

And as you may know, I swallowed a live fish in the miracle cure...

Ohhhh, that really was a tricky one to get through!

All the best,

Tahir

message 13: by Tahir (new)

Ryan wrote: "Hi friends. I'm from the Pacific Northwest in the US. I work as a smokejumper. We parachute into remote areas to manage emerging forest fires so we can protect water sheds and other vital forest..."

Your amazing message has given me chills down my spine... I am totally totally in awe of your work. All the best, Tahir

message 14: by Tahir (new)

John wrote: "Greetings good people, I'm John from London, a sound technician who writes verses, or a writer of verses who works with sound ...

I came to Tahir's books via The Octagon Press, and to The Octagon ..."

Thanks so much for your message, John. Very grateful you took part. Hope you find TIMBUCTOO...

TS

message 15: by Tahir (new)

Amy wrote: "Hello everyone,

I'm Amy Cochran. I'm a Wildlife Rehabilitator specializing in Raptors and large carnivores. Hailing from Alabama, I'm also heavily involved in Greyhound Adoption and animal welfar..."

Thanks for your message, Amy... I left my heart in Alabama. First visited there in Summer 1984 and have returned time and again. I love it. Really mean that. All the best,

TS

message 16: by Tahir (new)

Pallavi wrote: "Hello,

Am Pallavi Katti, I live in Bangalore, India. My literary background is unlimited as I grew up in a house full of books . My mom being a writer herself kept me and my sister constantly conn..."

Thanks so much for for message... and as you may know, my wife is from India... and so we are there a lot. First went to Bangalore in 1992 where I met a man called G Vidyaraj. There's a piece about him in my book TRAVELS WITH MYSELF. Will get it online as an Ebook soon.

All the best, and I will try and Blog more soon. I know, I'm lazy as hell.

TS

message 17: by Tahir (new)

Michael wrote: "Hi Everyone
My name is Michael and I’m an accountant by profession and I assure you that we are not all as boring as everyone thinks we are. I am based in Jacksonville, Florida and my hobby is writ..."

Hi Michael,

I'm smiling at your great message...

Thanks for taking the time to write!

TS

message 18: by Tahir (new)

Julie wrote: "Hello everyone,

I'm Julie, I live in Central Illinois amid Lincoln shrines and cornfields.

I'm an art teacher and artist, as well as a musician obsessed with Brazillian music: so much that I l..."

Thanks Julie... and I know what it's like when the Brazilian beat is inside you. i'm lucky enough to have a FABULOUS Brazilian publisher... and so i have been sucked down by the beat plenty of times.

All the best,

TS

message 19: by Tahir (new)

Robs wrote: "Hi I'm Rob, based in London, currently a student of welding. I guess I'm a traveller who appreciates good travel writing."

Thanks for your message. On Friday i was back in the metalwork-shop of the school where I was taught metalwork as a kid. I suddenly remembered how one boy, aged 16, built a full-size aeroplane in that very same metalwork-shop. He flew it one lunchtime. Crash landed. Broke his back. Plaster up to his neck. I goggled him a minute ago and he now runs his own large aviation company.

There are no limits. Only our imagination.

TS

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1 comments Hi I lived in Rabat Morocco for 8 years and very much enjoyed "The Caliph's House". It really brought me back to magical Morocco.

message 21: by Robs (new)

Robs (RobShear) | 3 comments Tahir wrote: "Robs wrote: "Hi I'm Rob, based in London, currently a student of welding. I guess I'm a traveller who appreciates good travel writing."

Thanks for your message. On Friday i was back in the metalwo..."

Thanks for that; hope there's no broken backs involved in my projects!

Rob

message 22: by Toni (last edited Aug 30, 2012 08:43AM) (new)

Toni | 22 comments halloe. I live in france although i am english.
first read gurdjieff and ouspensky circa 1975. Then read the Sufis by Idries Shah and books published by the octagon press, wonderful books. from there to books by Tahir Shah and Saira Shah's the story tellers daughter.
ps have stopped using capitals bec. it takes me too long to write. keep missing the capital key and having to go back. this is an edited post.

message 23: by Borut (new)

Borut | 5 comments Hello, Tahir and everybody! I’m Borut, from Ljubljana, Slovenia (EU) – on the sunny side of the Alps (a tourist slogan). Thanks for inviting us, but I’m kind of scared…! A virtual Dar Khalifa experience!?:) I feel a little bit constrained anyway!?:) Be that as it may, seen with the reader’s eyes, it’s been a great journey: from Middle East Bedside Book … to Timbuctoo!:) Thank you!:)

message 24: by Kevan (new)

Kevan Bowkett | 9 comments Hello, everyone. I live in Winnipeg, Canada. I write -- nothing published yet, but my first play just had a staged reading by a professional company. I’ve been working on a sword-and-sorcery novel for many years. I’m a sometime childcare worker, trying to become a viable unit in the everyday world. I’m a cult survivor, have done many different jobs, run for Parliament, and worked to promote an international convention on the evaluation of new technologies before they’re commercialized (thus adding to the ‘problem of world conferences’?).

Mr. Shah, I’ve read Trail of Feathers and Caliph’s House, and am on King Solomon’s Mines; also read many Octagon and ISHK recommended books. I’ve watched a lot of your Youtube videos.

I’m impressed by your purposefulness, resilience, and sense of adventure, fun, and ‘quirkiness.’ How do you do it all?

Thank you for your journeys and for sharing them through your books. Reading them is a kind of tonic and vista-opener, showing what’s possible; but also they show the kinds of effort, sense, and endurance necessary to make the possible actually happen. Thank you.

message 25: by Tahir (new)

Thanks Purnima, how good of you to write. I was in Hyderabad with my wife and the kids a year and a half ago. we were lucky enough to visit some of the old mansions downtown, which are in a sorry state but they stole my heart. I LOVED them! We also stayed at the Falaknuma, which i wrote about... wow, and wow again... And I was in Hyderabad for the first time a zillion years ago (as I wrote in Sorcerer's Apprentice) when i swallowed a live fish at the Gowd's home.

message 26: by Tahir (new)

Hi Kevan,

Thanks for your message... I strive to do what interests me and not to pay too much time listening to anyone who holds me back. My advice to anyone is to stop listening to others and to start listening to yourself.

T

unread topics | mark unread