Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > author profile

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caro (new)

Caro | 177 comments I was wanting to know if there is a way to search for a author profile. The only way I've been able to see is to click the author's name on the book page. There are quite a few books that are by Margaret^Barker, but I don't think the MB that writes spiritual books is the one that writes the romance books. I can't seem to find the author for the romance, i've been going thru all the books and clicking the author's name (still coming the the spiritual Margaret). I don't know if she is there, so I don't want to make a new author. Hence, is there a way can I search thru just the author profiles and not by books? Please let me know. Thanks.

message 2: by Amara (last edited Jun 17, 2012 04:45PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) Have you tried ticking the "author" filter when you search? If so and that's not helping you, go to the Margaret^Barker's edit page, click edit data, then click similar names. It'll bring up a list of other Margaret Barkers in the database.

message 3: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments The only thing I can think of (if I'm understanding you correctly) is to go to the search page and enter your search term (here "Margaret Baker") and tell the search to only look for books with that author by selecting the "author" radio button. This will list all books by this author, but you'll have an easier time finding the books you are looking for. I've gone ahead and done this for you, just follow this link: http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

message 4: by Caro (last edited Jun 17, 2012 09:41PM) (new)

Caro | 177 comments thanks, so much. the search by author just showed the books by Margaret Barker (which is all the margaret barkers). On the author edit page, under similar names, there was only the one. Does that mean that I need the 'disambiguate' and that will set up another author page for the other MB? Or do I make an author page for the other MB and then disambiguate? I'm kinda new at the author page thing and thanks for the help.

message 5: by Caro (new)

Caro | 177 comments my bad, I looked in the manual. So I go thru all the books that belong to the other MB and add a space to the author's name. Please tell me this is right. Thanks.

message 6: by Amara (last edited Jun 17, 2012 09:54PM) (new)

Amara (AFTanith) I think you can use the disambiguation tool for it, but I've never used it myself so I can't say for sure.

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 5468 comments You can do it either way. The annoying thing about the disambig tool is that if you create the proper new author page in advance, then tell the tool you want the books to end up on that author, it will tell you the page already exists. Duh! You just created it. So you have to create a dummy author name, disambig, then edit the dummy author name. Which way is faster might depend on how many books would need to be individually edited.

message 8: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 5468 comments The disambig tool would be much more useful if you could view all the books on one page. If you're looking a lots of books, it splits it into multiple pages, and then as you go from page to page, it won't even let you use the DUMMY author name you created, because you already used it on page one. Total pain in the ass.

message 9: by Caro (new)

Caro | 177 comments soooo, just change the author's name on each book page would be the least complicated way and it would definitely work. As soon as I change the name and new author page would pop up and as the others changed, they would be added to that same author page, right? I'm still a little clueless about disambiguating and wouldn't want to mess everything up.

message 10: by Caro (last edited Jun 17, 2012 10:25PM) (new)

Caro | 177 comments i think this may take a while. thanks for the heads up on the dis'ing lobstergirl. lol

message 11: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 5468 comments Yes, correct. Making the edit from First^Last to First^^Last creates a new author profile, First^^Last, and all books edited with two spaces gather in the new profile.

It's also helpful in both the old and new author profiles to make a librarian's note saying this is First^Last, and this is First^^Last.

message 12: by Caro (new)

Caro | 177 comments gotcha, thanks bunches. :)

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 6614 comments Carroll wrote: "It would be nice if you could allow authors the ability to be able to "block" people who stalk them and give them problems and cause trouble.

I am now leaving Goodreads at the end of the month be..."

This is not some thing librarians control, it is a GR Feedback Group issue.

That said users have the ability to block other users, by going to the user profile and clicking the block this user at the bottom of the page. I don't know if it works the same for users with an author profile, Do you see that on a user profile? and if so have you tried to block the user?

unread topics | mark unread