The Book Club discussion

Future Book Club Selections

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Aryan | 45 comments Mod
Post your suggestions here for future book club selections.

message 2: by Stephen (new)

I should say the only rules are that the book is SF , fantasy, horror or a 'genre' book of some kind, and we alternate between classics, and something modern. Again the rules are not rigid with specific years for what is a classic, but previous selections have included, Fahrenheit 451, Slaughterhouse 5, The Caves of Steel, The Once and Future King and modern books have been anything from up to about 15 years ago.

message 3: by Eddie (new)

Eddie | 2 comments First King of Shannara , by Terry Brooks

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Thanks for the suggestion.

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick Roberts | 3 comments Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Interesting choices, thanks.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Suggestion sent in via email from Paul -

I think you should check out the Camalaud Chronicles by Jack Whyte. They are a take on Arthurian legends done without magic starting with the last days of the Roman Empire.

message 8: by Stephen (new)

We've done a few SF books lately, so I think the next choice, after The Stars My Destination, should be something completely different. Maybe Urban Fantasy, epic fantasy or another sub-genre, but this time around it would be something modern. So preferably the first book in a new-ish series from the last 15 years. Post your ideas here...

message 9: by Glen (new)

Glen Davies | 2 comments Well the Rivers of London series ticks the modern urban fantasy box, just finished the latest book, three in and I'm really enjoying them.

message 10: by Stephen (new)

I've read book 1 in the series and book 2 is in the house. Somewhere!

message 11: by Jacey (last edited Oct 15, 2012 11:30AM) (new)

Jacey (JaceyBedford) | 4 comments Hello, just joined.

How about something by Lois McMaster Bujold? I suggest 'Curse of Chalion' if you want fantasy. Or if you want urban fantasy how about Patricia Briggs' first Mercy Thompson book 'Moon Called'?

I would also be happy to support 'Rivers of London' which is already on my to-read list.

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, we appreciate it.

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Had a chat with Scott, and we're thinking of choose an Iain M. Banks SF novel for the next classic selection. If you're a fan, post your favourites and we'll go from there.

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul (striderpaul) | 17 comments Only ever read The Wasp Factory and that was a long time ago. Would like to try out the Culture series of books so I suggest the first in the series Consider Phlebas (1987)

unread topics | mark unread