Read It Forward discussion

Heartbroken
This topic is about Heartbroken
Book Chats > HEARTBROKEN by Lisa Unger

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Read It Forward (last edited Jun 15, 2012 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Read It Forward | 97 comments Mod
RIFers! Lisa Unger's newest thriller HEARTBROKEN comes out in just few weeks! Available from Crown wherever books are sold June 26, 2012.

Were you a lucky winner of our Read It First giveaway of HEARTBROKEN? Have you read Lisa Unger's other thrillers and mysteries?

Lisa sure does have a lot of fans out there. Are you one of them? What makes her thrillers so good?

I'll get the conversation started and say that from the moment I read BEAUTIFUL LIES, I recognized Lisa's gift for portraying strong, complicated, interesting women in crazy situations who nonetheless seemed really familiar....

Rachel | 7 comments I enjoyed this book, especially how the author incorporated the journals from the past. I'll definitely read more of her books!

message 3: by Beth (last edited Jun 19, 2012 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth  (techeditor) | 57 comments I've never read this author so have always tried to win her books, so far unsuccessfully

Beth  (techeditor) | 57 comments Hi, Lisa. So sorry I can't comment on your books. I've only read ABOUT them and so far have only read raves. So I'm anxious to read them.

I have a question: do you try, when you're writing a book, to grab your reader right away rather than give your reader a chapter of introduction before the story begins? Many of us have so many books to read that we've learned to follow Nancy Pearl's "Rule of 50." Are you familiar with her "Rule of 50"?

Lisa (lisaunger) Sorry, there were technical issues that kept this chat from happening.

All the best,
Lisa

message 6: by Read It Forward (last edited Jun 23, 2012 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

RIFers! Keep chatting about Lisa Unger and her books - she'll drop by over the next week or so as HEARTBROKEN hits the shelves to answer your questions and read your comments.

Lisa (lisaunger) Hi, Beth! Sorry for the sloooow reply! I am drawn into a book by a character voice in my head. Or it might be that I'm seeing a scene in my head over and over that demands to be written. And if I'm not deeply engrossed in that person or incident, then I wouldn't be writing it. And I suppose I have faith that if I'm intrigued and interested, then my readers will be to! I am always hooked into my story from page one, so I hope that translates for my readers.

Beth  (techeditor) | 57 comments Lisa, I understand. Although I never wrote fiction or any kind of book (unless you count technical manuals), I remember back when I used to write for a weekly newspaper. That's when I started drinking coffee even though I didn't like it. I'd really get into an article I was writing and didn't want to stop. So I'd drink coffee when I was hungry.

I was never attached to a character, but I figure the way you feel is something like that.

message 9: by Conessha (new)

Conessha (Rajaa) | 2 comments Beth wrote: "I've never read this author so have always tried to win her books, so far unsuccessfully"

Even though you haven't won any of her books I can guarantee you that they are a great read and worth the money many are available now in paperback so lots cheaper than, the best one i think by far was blackout!!! Really go out and buy it.. if you have a nook friend me i'll lend you one! then you will be hooked!!

message 10: by Conessha (new)

Conessha (Rajaa) | 2 comments Lisa wrote: "Hi, Beth! Sorry for the sloooow reply! I am drawn into a book by a character voice in my head. Or it might be that I'm seeing a scene in my head over and over that demands to be written. And if ..."

I'm loving it already!!! as usual u haven't disappointed! at all.. Why aren't you coming to the chicago area on your book tour? We would love to see ya in the chi town or michigan even! wishing you my Best with your new book. I'm finally back on goodreads

Beth  (techeditor) | 57 comments Conessha wrote: "Lisa wrote: "...We would love to see ya in the chi town or michigan even!"

You could come to Kalamazoo or Portage, Michigan. That way you'd be between Conessha and me.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda Tayrien | 5 comments Just started Heartbroken and already, chores are not getting done and dinner may or may not happen...can't put it down. I already know these people.

Linda wrote: "Just started Heartbroken and already, chores are not getting done and dinner may or may not happen...can't put it down. I already know these people."

Linda, I know just what you mean! Same thing happened to me. Do let us know when you finish!

message 14: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (susanmaj67) | 1 comments Hi this is the second book of yours I have read. I love how you develop your characters. I read this one even more quickly than the other one. I was so upset when I saw you were in asheville NC because I would have come up to that bookstore if I had known that. Can't wait to read your next book!

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (catmommie) I just finished this book tonight, the first I've read of Lisa's. I loved it!

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa (lisaunger) Susan & Kim,

So glad to hear you enjoyed HEARTBROKEN and I appreciate your comments!

Karen I really enjoyed Heartbroken. I thought the characters were fully developed, each in their own separate and unique way. I loved the island setting too. I have read most of Lisa's books. Still need to read Darkness, My Old Friend and Die For You.

Beth  (techeditor) | 57 comments Karen wrote: "Still need to read Darkness, My Old Friend and Die For You. ..."

I read DIE FOR YOU a couple of weeks ago. It was my first Unger book and really good. I have HEARTBROKEN in my TBR pile now.

unread topics | mark unread