Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Sheri's Sanctuary

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Sheri | 10057 comments Mod
Guess I haven't made myself a place to chat yet, so here it is :)

First bit of news...It's official, I'm back in school. Getting my BA in English. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Guess we'll see :)

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Awesome!! Are you doing online school or going to a physical school? I just graduated an online college back in October sometime...it was interesting being back in school after 8 years!

Good luck!

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) | 159 comments You can be a teacher!
Wait are you good with kids?
o.O

hahaha I going to school for cultural anthropology.

message 4: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

It's an online school. No way I'd have time for physical classes :) It's been 6 years since I've been in school.

I've tried the teaching thing and it wasn't for me. I like kids before they hit school :)

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry James (mondragoran) | 9 comments Haha it's exactly the opposite for me. I teach 6th grade, and that's about as young as I ever want to teach. They are still not quite self-aware at that age lol.

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) | 159 comments Hahahah ok teaching is out.
Ummmm well I can't think of anything else. :D

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) | 159 comments I take care of and I guess teach little muchikins 7 and under at my church and they are AWESOME!

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Maybe you could become a book reviewer that actually gets paid, or an editor, oooorrrrr....okay that's all I've got unless I go research jobs for English degrees.

message 9: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Barry wrote: "Haha it's exactly the opposite for me. I teach 6th grade, and that's about as young as I ever want to teach. They are still not quite self-aware at that age lol."

Lol! I used to be a teacher's assistant for preschool and kindergarten and I subbed for all the other grades, and middle school was my least favorite!

message 10: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Martha wrote: "I take care of and I guess teach little muchikins 7 and under at my church and they are AWESOME!"

That's my favorite age group I think...well babies through 5 or 6 :)

message 11: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ wrote: "Maybe you could become a book reviewer that actually gets paid, or an editor, oooorrrrr....okay that's all I've got unless I go research jobs for English degrees."

I've actually thought about editing because I do editing work now, except not for books (I do medical transcription, typing and editing medical reports). I'll have to see where it takes me :) I'm kind of excited now!

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Well you should be excited! I'm excited for you and I don't even know you in RL!!! I went to school for medical billing and coding and my favorite class was transcription and editing....maybe I should go back to school...again...lol :)

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) | 159 comments Sheri wrote: "Martha wrote: "I take care of and I guess teach little muchikins 7 and under at my church and they are AWESOME!"

That's my favorite age group I think...well babies through 5 or 6 :)"

I can take care of the older ones but I prefer this age group I think. But it is hard though. I have to watch everything I say and do because they soak EVERYTHING up.

message 14: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ wrote: "Well you should be excited! I'm excited for you and I don't even know you in RL!!! I went to school for medical billing and coding and my favorite class was transcription and editing....maybe I s..."

I love doing medical transcription. I started it so I could stay at home with my kids when they were little. Now my youngest is 4 and will be in preschool in the fall, so I thought I might try something different.

message 15: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

So my 6-year-old son (almost 7) checked out Eragon (Inheritance, #1) by Christopher Paolini from the library. He's going into 2nd grade but reads at a 4th grade level. For anyone who's read it, do you think he will be able to understand it?

It's so hard finding books for him because he is reading at an advanced level, because the books that are "hard enough" for him are too mature or he doesn't understand. Any other suggestions for him?

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Harry Potter, but he's prolly already read those. The young adult dark hunter series may be good depending. It's about Nick when he's a young teenager...he may still be too young though, it's about fighting these zombies. My cousin in 6th grade read them and really liked them

Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

uhm....this is just one book but I thought it was really cute, short but cute

The Adventures of the Frog Prince by J.R. Barker

what else...

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #1) by Jeff Kinney
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

message 17: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

He actually hasn't read Harry Potter...that's a good idea. Thanks for these :)

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments No worries, glad I could help. :)

message 19: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Super excited! Found out yesterday I won a Kindle Touch from http://ebookswag.com/!!

message 20: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

So my kids are in the living room playing "book store." Too funny :)

message 21: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) | 159 comments Aww!!
How many kids do you have sheri?

message 22: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

I have four...it was just the two youngest playing. They are 6 and 4.

message 23: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (theu) Congrats on the prize! English is always a fun degree to pursue :)

message 24: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

message 25: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) | 159 comments They're so adorable at that age!

message 26: by Robert (new)

Robert | 169 comments Sheri wrote: "So my kids are in the living room playing "book store." Too funny :)"

I've been playing like that until three years ago. L) It;s really funny :). I;m very happy right now, that I'm dancing. I got into High School today. I entered the 13th on Friday the 13th :). From today, 13 is a very lucky number for me ;)!

message 27: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Robii wrote: "I've been playing like that until three years ago. L) It;s really funny :). I;m very happy right now, that I'm dancing. I got into High School today. I entered the 13th on Friday the 13th :). From today, 13 is a very lucky number for me ;)! ..."

Congrats :)

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert | 169 comments Thanks, and Congratulations to you too for the prize you won :)!

message 29: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Officially off work until August 6!! Super busy weekend, and then heading to Colorado to visit family Monday :D

message 30: by Kelan (new)

Kelan O'Connell (Kelan_OConnell) | 2 comments Enjoy your vacation! It's well deserved. Thanks for all the hard work you do for Goodreads groups. I'm just one of the many authors and readers who appreciate the time and effort you put to keep us all in the know!

message 31: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Thanks Kelan :)

message 32: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

School is going good so far. The writing class is the hardest...I was not made to be a writer.

message 33: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new)

Leigh | 9845 comments Mod
Sheri wrote: "School is going good so far. The writing class is the hardest...I was not made to be a writer."

I think you will do well. :)

message 34: by ⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (last edited Aug 15, 2012 11:52AM) (new)

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments The writing parts of school were always the hardest for me too, I am a reader thru and thru! Good luck and have fun with it :)

message 35: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Here are some of my daughter's senior pictures
(view spoiler)

message 36: by Leigh, Wonder Woman (new)

Leigh | 9845 comments Mod
They are beautiful! My favorite is the 1st one.

message 37: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

I like that one too :)

message 38: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

So I just realized I have not read AT ALL this weekend. I've been so busy! But, we went to the pumpkin patch, bowling, soccer, a haunted house, carved pumpkins (which took hours longer than anticipated), and are now getting ready to watch The Walking Dead. So it was a full weekend :)

message 39: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Photobucket

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Eragon (other topics)
Infinity (other topics)
The Adventures of the Frog Prince (other topics)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid (other topics)
Artemis Fowl (other topics)
More...