Twilight (Twilight, #1) Twilight discussion


148 views
Why was this so popular?!?

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It was pretty bad (sorry no offense) but it could have been so much better


*~Emo: {Evanna} :Goth~* I think it's good, and maybe it's popular beacause romance and fantasy are interesting, and its finally both put together


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

well maybe, but the fact with all the mythical creatures, its all vampires, werewolves, "oh jacob" "oh edward"


Anna To be quite honest..it's because it's every girl's dream to be loved by a supernatural creature..whatever breed or even type..it's just like Disney princesses for young adults because Bella can fix Edward into being someone more desirable who she can then love.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Still. It was a waste of a year reading the series begging for it to get better


ɐıʌɐʇɔo I noticed that the main character, Bella, seemed almost emotionless. An empty shell. I think that Meyer did this on purpose so that the reader (assuming the reader is female) can imagine the main character as herself. I thought the Twilight series was...decent, it was definitely NOT the best series I've read. The people who say that it is the best series ever are proof of how illiterate this world is getting. Also, the whole vampire-romance thing is WAY overused.


*~Emo: {Evanna} :Goth~* Natalie wrote: "Still. It was a waste of a year reading the series begging for it to get better"

I read the whole series in a month, and if you hated it so much, why did you keep reading.


message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

THANK YOU!! Especially with the baby Renessme (BARF) being half vampire


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

like i said. I was expecting it to get better through the series when it ended up getting worse


again no offense


Michelle Mcilvoy I read the entire series. Loved the first book and the rest went downhill fast. The whole baby things was just plain stupid and totally contradicted the whole vampire world she had spent the first three books creating.
I think it was so popular because girls it is nice to think of being loved so completely and wholeheartedly just as you are. Edward did not want to change her; Bella wanted to change herself to be with Edward.


Marisa This was/ is popular because people like a good "fluff" story now and again. Nicholas Sparks has written The Notebook over and over again and he still makes money. His books are relatively the same and it doesn't make a difference. All these books are "fluff" books that don't require the reader to think at all. This is the only reason they are popular.


*~Emo: {Evanna} :Goth~* Oh, so I dont have taste? I geuss Hunger Games and The Forst of Hands and Teeth suck too then


♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties Alandra wrote: "this series is rilly bad i read it bcuz rilly i was stupid enough to think that edward was some dreamy character *barf* that lasted about 2 months then i came to my senses and found that i had a st..."

I don't know. Just because you don't like Twilight does not mean that someone reading Twilight would mean they don't have taste. Personally, I don't really mind Twilight... It's pretty good actually. I love SM's idea for not having the cliché vampire.


message 14: by Idia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Idia Goth: *~Kat Della-Rayna~* :Emo wrote: "Oh, so I dont have taste? I geuss Hunger Games and The Forst of Hands and Teeth suck too then"

what is the Forst of Hands and Teeth about


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

a prefer the host by SM.
but having vampires in a buk was cool!!


message 16: by Gerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Natalie wrote: "Still. It was a waste of a year reading the series begging for it to get better"

A year? You a slow reader? :)


Anna wrote: "To be quite honest..it's because it's every girl's dream to be loved by a supernatural creature ... whatever breed or even type..."

While that's certainly true to an extent it doesn't quite explain the huge success "twilight" had - the above is the building plan for every Paranormal Romance ever, but none of them got equally popular.


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Gerd wrote: "Natalie wrote: "Still. It was a waste of a year reading the series begging for it to get better"

A year? You a slow reader? :)


Anna wrote: "To be quite honest..it's because it's every girl's dre..."


its not that im slow, i was about 10 and i didnt own all the books


message 18: by Angie (last edited Jun 15, 2012 06:52AM) (new) - added it

Angie Nicole wrote: "I noticed that the main character, Bella, seemed almost emotionless. An empty shell. I think that Meyer did this on purpose so that the reader (assuming the reader is female) can imagine the main c..."

Or perhaps they have different taste in books than you do. The fact that they actually read them proves they're not illiterate, so I'm not sure how that fits the 'reader.'


message 19: by Chelsea Denisse (last edited Jun 15, 2012 07:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chelsea Denisse Some people like it some people dont. You cant tell others not to read this book or that its horrible because they might actually like it. Everyone has their own opinions and frankly I'm getting tired of twilight haters bashing on the series and the people that like the series only because they dont. Its stupid!

If you want a good rant about this check out: http://youtu.be/_byiS1qYoIM


Chelsea Denisse Alandra wrote: "this series is rilly bad i read it bcuz rilly i was stupid enough to think that edward was some dreamy character *barf* that lasted about 2 months then i came to my senses and found that i had a st..."

Would you shut up about that? I'm sorry I'm not trying to be mean but this subject really gets me mad. IF YOU DIDNT LIKE IT YOU DONT HAVE TO BASH ON OTHERS THAT DO! How would you like it people called you stupid and that you had bad taste just because you liked a book? Do you have any idea why this book became so popular? Why it was a movie? BECAUSE MORE PEOPLE LOVED IT THAN HATED IT! So if you dont like it. Fine, just say what you didnt like it and move on! You dont have to completely bash on the books and the people that read them.


message 21: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Little_miss_book_freak wrote: "Alandra wrote: "this series is rilly bad i read it bcuz rilly i was stupid enough to think that edward was some dreamy character *barf* that lasted about 2 months then i came to my senses and found..."

I'm amazed you could even read what she wrote. LOL I gave up. I don't speak text.


Chelsea Denisse Angie wrote: "Little_miss_book_freak wrote: "Alandra wrote: "this series is rilly bad i read it bcuz rilly i was stupid enough to think that edward was some dreamy character *barf* that lasted about 2 months the..."

Hahaha I dont either really but I got a couple words then put two and two together :P


Morgana_lefay Little_miss_book_freak wrote: "Angie wrote: "Little_miss_book_freak wrote: "Alandra wrote: "this series is rilly bad i read it bcuz rilly i was stupid enough to think that edward was some dreamy character *barf* that lasted abou..."

I think it was enough to read the last line :D but I tried to get through the post :)


Morgana_lefay Alandra wrote: "Im not meaning to bash on ppl and if I hurt ur feelings im srry but ya kno its my opinion and if u don't like it then im srry but I hated this series. And if u liked the series then gud for u but I..."

I think that noone rationl has problem with your comment, there is usually only problem with comments that degrade ppl for liking the books


Chelsea Denisse I didnt find offense to your comment the only thing that I didnt like was, and I quote, "ANYONE WITH TASTE PLZ DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IT IS SUPER HORRIBLE!!" because that basically says that anyone that had read this book and liked it doesnt have any taste.


Morgana_lefay Little_miss_book_freak wrote: "I didnt find offense to your comment the only thing that I didnt like was, and I quote, "ANYONE WITH TASTE PLZ DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IT IS SUPER HORRIBLE!!" because that basically says that anyone ..."

I actually forgot she wrote this - that part is offensive


message 27: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Little_miss_book_freak wrote: "Alandra wrote: "this series is rilly bad i read it bcuz rilly i was stupid enough to think that edward was some dreamy character *barf* that lasted about 2 months then i came to my senses and found..."

Little Miss Book Freak: I wouldn't find myself offended by someone who misspells every other word. Alandra, I know that sounds totally rude, but please, proper spelling and grammar strengthens your argument, horrible spelling and grammar weakens it. Also, saying a person has no taste just because they like a certain book is a pretty weak argument.


Sarah D. This is so popular because people are just reading something they wish happened to them. I mean I read the book the year after it came out and I was in 7th grade. Looking back it wasn't such a great book, it's the fact that it's about an average girl and a really amazing guy in a somwhat normal atmosphere that sells. Still a Twilight (of the books and not a diehard) fan.


Sarah D. Marisa wrote: "This was/ is popular because people like a good "fluff" story now and again. Nicholas Sparks has written The Notebook over and over again and he still makes money. His books are relatively the same..." Exactly. When you boil it all down...most romance books nowadays are the same. That's why I try to stay away from YA supernatural stories.(Even though I'm a teen but only in age.) :P


message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

twilight is weak, i just hate romance without any action
and thats wat twilight is...................borinh


message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

i mean boring


Brandon It's similar to popular music, in that it has no depth but teenage girls love drooling over the people in it. Edward is like the Justin Bieber of the literature world.


Denise I blame the dumbing down of education. Maybe I just don't get kids these days.


message 34: by Neha (new) - rated it 1 star

Neha Twilight is a book which you read at first because the storyline was different when it came out, then after the first book it went seriously downhill,in my opinion at least. In addition to this, the main character was created in such a way as to destroy feminism completely and it is upsetting that so many young girls wish themselves in her place. It was popular, but mainly because it created something which people wish they could be a part of, but the grammar and the way she wrote them completely ruined what was already a weak series.


Brooke Brandon wrote: "It's similar to popular music, in that it has no depth but teenage girls love drooling over the people in it. Edward is like the Justin Bieber of the literature world."
Absolutely. Completely and totally.


Helen I think it started off well. It was more like a mystery novel at the start - this girl goes to a new school and there's a guy who's sending her different signals. Once you find out he's a vampire and a self-professed monster, you keep reading to see if he'd kill her or not.

If you look at the cover, it's all blacks and whites and reds - it could've very easily been a horror story and a precautionary tale to young girls. (But it wasn't.)


Amanda Having read the books several times, I can say I've been on both sides of the coin when it came to these books.

When I first started reading them, I really liked them. I thought that the story was something I had never seen before and the books kept me interested enough to continue reading.

But after trying to read them a 2nd time, I really started to dislike them and couldn't even get through the first one. I realized that these characters really don't have much personality, especially Bella.

And that's really why the books are so addictive to readers. They're tricked into thinking that there's more to this person than there really is. Bella herself is pretty much lacking in any real personality traits, so it allows a lot of room for the reader to put her own personality in there.

The reader, in turn, becomes Bella, which is why she ends up seeming more likable than she really is. That, coupled with the ultimate female fantasies of a handsome bad boy who loves you for your mind, and a hot and sweetly lovable bff fighting over the same girl, then you have the recipe for the ultimate romantic obsession.

It's not that these are the worst books ever. But they are the very definition of "guilty pleasure." If you like Twilight, that's fine. But it's probably not something someone should brag about.


Mimi ❤ Haha, it's in my opinion, crap. Very awful and poses sick messages.


Contessa Twilight is popular because it had the perfect audience. Pre/teen girls who are in middleschool or just starting highschool. Bella isn't described with much detail that, along with her first person narration makes her a great template. Her bland dialog makes it easy to put any inflection you want on it. Girls around this age are typically ignored or often hurt by their crushes and find solace in this piece of fiction.


message 40: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina I enjoy Meyer's writing style. I enjoy her wit. I enjoy how the themes play with classic literature.


back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Twilight (other topics)