Emily's Quest (Emily, #3) Emily's Quest discussion

hating Emily?

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna I know it sounds terrible but towards the part where she dumped Dean I started to dislike her. She was so proud and shallow. I was supposed to dislike Dean. But I didn't.

Laura I couldn't entirely dislike Dean either... and she did seem a bit shallow during that part, but in the end, we all make some decisions based on shallowness. And I think she did make the right decision here.

ϟEvelynϟ Dean was awesome! The only exception was that he was like 40. Well, I began to loose interest in Emily after the second book and I REALLY never thought Dean and Emily would have a romantic relationship. I just thought Emily was dull and confused in the last book. She was so lost. Poor Emily. :/ I still liked the trilogy, though.

Amanda Dean was creepy as all get out, the relationship was weird and inappropriate -- I loved these books (in a different way than I loved Anne of Green Gables), but even when I was young I found the Dean/Emily relationship really unsettling.

Emily Dean always struck me as overbearing and possessive. Right from the first time that he saved her life, he said that she now owed him. His mind intrigued Emily and so they were friends, but she was right to dump him - one, because she could never wholeheartedly commit to him, but two, he was at heart a selfish man. As it turns out, he was jealous of her work, and instead of nurturing her in her writing gift and delighting to see it blossom, he lied to her over its quality, and later was more than happy to see it stifled. When she got rid of Dean, she was liberated to take up writing again - and to love Teddy.

ϟEvelynϟ Yeah, Dean was kind of a creepist...

ϟEvelynϟ Okay, I gotta get this off my chest. I never liked Teddy. I would have much preferred Perry Miller. He seemed so much more likable and entertaining than Teddy. Maybe because I enjoyed Perry in the tv show but he was still pretty cool in the books. Lol when Perry kissed Emily on the ear, I laughed so hard like an obsessive fan girl.

Emily I liked Perry, too. He was so colorful. Teddy was supposedly the sensitive artist with a soul that mirrored Emily's better, but what do we know about him? He blows in and out every other summer with the Nova Scotia breezes, but there never seemed to be much dialogue between the two. This is probably my one disappointment with the book.

ϟEvelynϟ Emily wrote: "I liked Perry, too. He was so colorful. Teddy was supposedly the sensitive artist with a soul that mirrored Emily's better, but what do we know about him? He blows in and out every other summer ..."
Oh, yeah. They barely talked to each other.

message 10: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna I love Perry. :)

message 11: by Ruby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ruby Hollyberry All the author's other books are fictions. This trilogy is very loosely based on some of the author's real experiences and a lot of her pain is in them. I find them difficult to read in comparison with all the others because of the pain. And the romances in these books are much less easily swallowed, because the author never resolved her own romantic issues.

Ellen Emily wrote: "Dean always struck me as overbearing and possessive. Right from the first time that he saved her life, he said that she now owed him. His mind intrigued Emily and so they were friends, but she was ..."

Amen!

Mitali Emily wrote: "I liked Perry, too. He was so colorful. Teddy was supposedly the sensitive artist with a soul that mirrored Emily's better, but what do we know about him? He blows in and out every other summer ..."

I agree. Teddy was made out to be some sort of soulmate of Emily's, but frankly I found him to be a self-centred asshole. Perry would have suited her better, and even Dean had his merits, though he was a jerk in many ways.

I really wish L. M. Montgomery had not tried to end Emily's story on a romantic note. To me, Emily's first and most important love was her writing. I would have been happy to see the story end with Emily finding success as a writer and living among people she loved at New Moon - or perhaps moving into her own house nearby, and make it no longer 'disappointed'.

Sindhu I did not like this book nearly as much. I felt like she was vain and like she was turning into her aunts.
I also disliked almost all of the characters except Perry. The story made adult life seem atrocious. If someone as magical and talented as Emily could like like such a dull drudge, I felt, I have no chance!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Emily's Quest (other topics)